November 26, 2014 | 1342 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2008 12:16:00 PM More reviews by sjmathur

My mom has made me use this mask since forever! Anyway, my family is Indian, and this is a beauty secret that all Indians actively use (yogurt and olive oil!). Anyway, I've slightly tweaked this mask, so here's the recipe:
2-3 tsp plain yogurt
~3 tsp rolled oats (plain) softened with hot water and crushed
quite a few squeezes of honey
2 tsp of gram flour (also known as besan/chickpea flour <- Indian tradition) *this is optional, I use it to thicken the mask (http://www.blurtit.com/q123457.html)
Squeeze of lemon juice
Drop of olive oil
I used to use this all the time when I was younger, but then I got tired of the smell and opted for Bath & Body Works products instead, lol. Anyway, I recently started getting some bad acne. I've been using Carley's Clear and Smooth and that's helped A LOT, but when I combined that with using this mask, my skin cleared up dramatically! Please try this mask, you'll be amazed!
PS- Yogurt CAN lighten your skin (not crazily, just very, very slightly. But in doing that, it fades acne scars and even outs your skin tone!

32 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2008 7:14:00 PM More reviews by cadarino

I've read about yogurt masks many times in magazines, but for some reason I never tried it. Today I was feeling adventurous and had some yogurt that was about to go bad, so instead of throwing it away, I did a yogurt mask. I would recommend using a yogurt that is as thick as possible, that way it stays on your face better. My favorite yogurt to eat is greek yogurt by Fage (it's amazingly thick and creamy, and not as sour as other plain yogurts).

You can buy it at Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Anyway, I slathered on a nice thick layer, which felt amazing because it's nice and cool. I put it all over my face, neck, and chest. It tingled on my skin just a tiny bit, which is probably the lactic acid working! I let it dry completely, and it didn't flake off or anything, which was nice. I rinsed it off with a warm washcloth.

The results are smooth, soft, and supple skin! I like the ideas of adding lemon juice if your skin is oily or honey if your skin is dry.

This is a great all-natural, inexpensive mask. Why pay more for masks that just add a bunch of chemicals and preservatives?!?!?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 10:51:00 AM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Would you believe this is an indian beauty tradition. Leave on the mask On face and lips till dry 2x a week or more. Yogurt with honey for the moisture glow...or with lemon for more exfoliation... or with oatmeal or besan flour (chickpea) for a extra scrub, and a little turmeric powder to brighten up skin (be careful on your clothes). The lactic acid from the yogurt removes the dead skin. lip ottos lip is darker and this helps. It's been great for all skin types. Bonus for sensitive skin. Cools and heals skin too. Good quality yogurt preferred with fat. My family has been doing these treatments for years! I like the asprin mask also. Vinegar and water as a toner works well for acne after. I would use jojoba oil or an organic baby shampoo as a cleanser to remove any residue.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2008 1:29:00 AM More reviews by nicolenikol

Using plain yogurt as a mask is probably one of the best (and cheapest) things that I have ever used on my face!! It calms down any redness/breakouts that I have at the moment and also tightens my pores incredibly. If you haven't tried it, you must! Squeeze a few drops of lemon into the yogurt and you'll be amazed at the results!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 9:23:00 PM More reviews by graceface07

i used dannon actives plain yogurt. i was at work and for some reason my face and neck started to get really itchy & red. when i got home i slathered some of this on. you only need a thin layer for this stuf to do its magic. first off, the cooling sensation was such a relief to my irritated skin. I left it on for about 15 minutes and then i took a warm wash cloth, covered my face, and layed down for a few minutes and let the warm steem penetrate my face, then i splashed my face with warm water to rinse off.

but let me tell you my skin was glowing! i felt like i was in a clean and clear commercial bc of how radiant and fresh my skin was. this is a great little pick me up before a date, or when your skin is looking blah!
i've now added this into my daily routine. i just slather it on while im waiting for my tea to brew everymorning. by the time im done eating breakfast its done its magic :)

EDIT:

so this is definately a great alternative for someone who is reactive to bha and aha but still wants a nice deep exfoliation. I don't like to add too much extra ingredients to this b/c I feel it will break down the lactic acid. also for an extra glow, first I use a physical exfoliant such as mac refinisher (great for sensitive skin bc its fragrance free and gentle ..got mine on ebay for $6) anyways I exfoliate with mac scrub first and that allows the yogurt mask to penetrate better. I try to use the scrub every other day for balance. oh and I always moisturize with my hg eucerin spf 30 after mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2008 7:56:00 AM More reviews by ragazza1indy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE THIS!! I use this mask all the time. However I've noticed that if you use old yogurt, it doesnt work nearly as well, if at all. The yogurt masks leaves skin feeling very soft and refreshed with a definite glow. I've used the leaves from a bag of white tea for the extra anti-oxidant boost. love love love. no reason for expensive products when you can make one that works better than all of them for nearly 95% less price!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2008 3:55:00 AM More reviews by mivec

I love this! I used this every other day for about a week and saw dramatic results. I am currently using store-brand, low fat vanilla yogurt... it smells a little funky on my face, but the results are totally worth it. Makes my face super-soft, evens out color and texture, AND it has cleared up numerous little bumps on my cheek (whiteheads possibly, which appeared after I started using Boscia about 3 weeks ago, believe it or not).

I just take a spoon and spread the cold yogurt over my face (thicker=longer to dry) and leave it there for about 30 minutes, or until everything dries and you get this soft, matte glow. :) Then I get a wet washcloth (warm water) and gently wring some of the water out before wiping the yogurt off. Afterwards I pat my face dry and apply lotion.

It's cheap and it's easy, most importantly, it works.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2008 1:38:00 AM More reviews by weeks919

****update****
This is getting five lippies from me now. I am shocked that something this cheap can do what this does. Sign. fading my acne scars, cutting out nearly all redness, and giving me a glow. I even used this as a gentle cleanser this morning and smeared a thin layer on my face to do a little work before I get ready. :)

WOW. My skin absolutley glows after I use this. I cover my face in it and leave it on until its dry, wash with warm water and my face is glowing. It helps with redness and helps dry up zits. It doesn;t smell that great but for what it does, I can deal with it. My skin is oily and acne prone and this seems to be helping.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2008 10:05:00 PM More reviews by masstexan

My 10 year old daughter has just started getting acne and after reading the reviews I decided to try it on her. I was really surprised at how much better her skin looked after one treatment. The redness was gone and her face looked much clearer. We are going to try it again in another day. She also dabs tea tree oil on the bothersome spots and this regimen seems to be working.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 1:48:00 AM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

first i tried the low fat version-left it on for 15 minutes. it tingled a bit but i didnt notice anything different really except that my face felt taut and maybe a bit brighter afterwards. today i tried the full fat organic version for 20 mins. hoping it wouldnt leave my skin feeling so dry...after washing off my face looked brighter, my cheeks a bit rosier but again, feels a bit drying. my nose was peeling a bit. i had to follow up with lotion. it seemed to bring one of my pimples to a head-so thats good! i'll probably keep using this 2x a week but i am going to start EATING it tomorrow and planning on having my son eat it too! Been reviewing it online and so many health benefits. i had a tummy ache last night from too much fried food and soda-i ate a small bowl of this and voila! no more tummy ache. Takes some getting used to as it is a bit tart, but i love it with some granola on top or even just plain. :) will repurchase! UPDATE: ok did nothing for my skin except dry it out like crazy. will repurchase to EAT only. :)