Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

on 3/25/2007 2:22:00 PM

This is the best cleanser on the market bar none! I have oily skin with large pores and rosacea and this is all I use. It can be used with or without water. I used to use it with water, but I've sinced switched to using it without water and wiping it off with a clean washcloth, this seems to help my rosacea.

When I need to exfoliate, I'll put Cetaphil on my face and then pour approx. 1/8 cup of sugar in my hands, lightly rub them together and then pat on my face. Then use light circular motions to exfoliate and rinse off. My skin feels soft, fresh and incrediably clean.

Even though my skin is oily I don't use the Cetaphil for oily skin, it dried it out too much and the gental cleanser is a much better product. Remember, Cetaphil doesn't make store brands, so only buy the name.

on 3/22/2007 10:55:00 PM

My husband uses this to clean his face before using his sleep apnea mask. It does a good job of that, but we're trying to find a substitute due to the cruelty issue. Galderma, who makes Cetaphil products, admits to using animals for testing. I cannot condone that or give my money to a company who participates and supports cruelty to animals. If you object to this, don't buy their products, either.

on 3/21/2007 9:08:00 PM

I know my imput will not matter much because this is the most reviewed product on MUA, but i feel i should say something: I have been using this product for about a year, because of its fame. i like but it doesn't have a huge impact. No cleansers ever have, in my opinion. anyway i have good skin, not sensitive, and i just needed something mild. This does the trick.

on 3/21/2007 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the only thing I will use on my super sensitive skin. I have really oily skin, but because it's so sensitive, it gets dried out and flaky really easily. At first I was worried that this would break me out or make my skin even more oily, but it leaves my skin really soft after I use it and keeps my skin clear. I prefer to use it without water, I just rub it on my skin and wipe it off with a dry towel. It's a great eye makeup remover too

I've used this as my main cleanser for as long as I can remember. I don't usually wear tons of makeup, but my face always feel better after washing with this. My face is not tight or oily, but soft and clean. I found with other cleansers that they strip too much, which is why I like how gentle Cetaphil is. It is not the most efficient at remove tougher makeup. For more sensitive skins, I would recommend this cleanser.

on 3/20/2007 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Price: 2, $12/16 oz jug

Packaging: 2, Really ugly, boring plastic-pump bottle.

Overall: 5

Buy again: yes

I tried Cetaphil 3 years ago, and I thought back then it was a terrible cleanser because it didn't remove my Revlon ColorStay foundation (I didn't know it was so stubborn!) and it started burning my skin too.

My skin is clearer now, but this winter has really done a number on my skin and my regular cleanser was a little too harsh. My skin was winter-chapped, irritated, and breaking out frequently on my chin and my normal Benzoyl Peroxide wasn't doing much to prevent it. I had some cetaphil in my bathroom and I figured "Well... maybe I'll give it a second chance".

I've been using it for 6 days and I really really like it! It's been very gentle on my combo/acne-prone skin, but at the same time very effective in removing the oil, dirt and grime, and my very minimal makeup. I don't usually wear more than powder blush, concealer and loose powder, so cetaphil is great at taking those off!

I like to apply it with clean hands to my dry face, massage for 20 seconds, then wipe off with a tissue, or rinse with warm/hot water. It works really well for me, as it really cleanses without stripping my skin. It has calmed my face down, it's smooth and soft, it's not breaking out, and my face isn't as oily either!

I'll probably use it for the remainder of winter, and maybe even into the summer.

[EDIT: April 26, 2008]

I stopped using Cetaphil a few weeks after I wrote this review in favor of trying out other cleansers. This winter (again!) did a number on my skin-- everything seemed to strip it and dry it out badly I tried LUSH cleansers, other drugstore brand facial washes, nothing helped. In desperation I reached for Cetaphil again, and I swear I'm never switching again! I really love it. My makeup consists of sunscreen and occasionally mineral powder foundation and blush, so taking those off with this is easy. I apply a generous amount to dry skin, massage it around for 30-45 seconds, then take a damp facial sponge and wipe/massage it off, rinsing the sponge periodically. It probably takes me about a minute or two to get it all off, so it's not any longer than washing your face the "normal way" with other products. I also don't like bending over the sink because it hurts my back sometimes and I splash water everywhere. As a bonus, this stuff leaves your skin feeling soft and moisturized! :) Love!

on 3/20/2007 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

fantastic value and good for sensitive skin. first bought this in the states but it ain't great for removing make up and I've subsequently found Liz Earle products which suit my dry, eczema prone skin even better.

But for value cetaphil is still a great product

on 3/19/2007 3:27:00 PM

This is not a make-up remover and not for oily skin, so do not treat it as one. I have dry skin with hormonal break-out and not any other problems. I am using this for over a year and my skin feels great. My dry patches are gone and overall the skin is softer and smoother. I use this with a washcloth daily to give my face a gentle exfoliation and it works for me. I also love the sensitive skin cream and lotion.

on 3/19/2007 2:23:00 PM

I gentle unscented cleanser. It is not that great for cleaning though. I often have to "rinse and repeat" in order to get all my makeup off. I like that the ingredients are simple, but it just didn't do enough for me.

on 3/19/2007 7:18:00 AM

The only cleanser that does not irritate my sensitive eczema-prone skin. Does not remove waterproof eye makeup but I use a makeup remover for that anyway. My skin feels really soft and refreshed after I use it. Definitely recommended for those with sensitive skin.