October 25, 2014 | 936 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2007 12:15:00 AM More reviews by angelbabys

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, I used to hate this! Every time I used it, within two days of use I would break out! I tried to like it, I wanted to like it, but it just never worked for me... Until...

My skin became sore and irritated from a makeup product, so I decided to give it one last go. This time, I massaged it into my (slightly damp) face for a good 2 minutes before rinsing. WOW! Taking the time to massage this into your skin really makes all the difference, and I now find that this really effectively cleans my skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2007 10:06:00 PM More reviews by chaachawuman

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

You can't expect this prodcut to be a maricle on it's own. It the best thorough cleanser I've gotten hold of in years. Use with WATER, lots too. I hate the residue it can leave, but once it's all gone it's great to apply toners and creams. Make sure you have a good cream or toner that will clear your skin aftrer it's been cleansed.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2007 7:43:00 PM More reviews by makeupqueen26

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I hate this product. I have tried it several times and I hate it every time. I don't know what people like about it? My face feels oily and gross after use.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2007 5:51:00 PM More reviews by enyafan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just don't get what the hype is about......I have tried this cleanser several times, for about a year, and everytime I use it, i get these really bad breakouts, in places that I never get zits! I've stopped using this and started using Aubrey Organics SeaBuckthorn Cleanser and my face has cleared up in just 3 days.....I use lots of Aubrey Products, and they always work for me!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2007 3:41:00 PM More reviews by sapnas

This cleanser is ok. I guess it is good if you don't wear any makeup. But if you use foundation etc. this cleanser hardly removes any makeup. It leaves a lot of residue. It is not drying though. I would never buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2007 1:13:00 PM More reviews by fluffylemur

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I started using Cetaphil on recommendation of Paula Begoun, who touts it as the holy grail of cleansers. While it is mild, I found that Cetaphil did only an average job and thoroughly removing all traces of makeup from my face. I was hoping that it would eliminate the step of having to remove my makeup before cleansing.
This was not the case.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2007 12:48:00 PM More reviews by davefan77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had high hopes for this after reading so many positive reviews, but it smelled yucky and left my skin feeling slimy. THEN it made me break out. Ugh.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2007 7:49:00 PM More reviews by boaconchicken

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's not a terrible cleanser. I'd like to correct a misconception, though: The types of alcohol contained in it won't dry or irritate your skin. They're thickeners and are generally non-irritating. If anything is bothering your skin it's the Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which is definitely an irritant. Do your homework; there are some benign alcohols and it pays to know which is which.
I didn't care for this cleanser simply because it wouldn't remove sunscreen or make-up. And since theoretically everyone should be wearing sunscreen, it wouldn't be effective. It's a little too gentle in that respect.
I personally didn't had a horrible reaction aside from a little tightness but, as I mentioned before, it does have the potential to bother sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2007 2:14:00 PM More reviews by jayseeell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My dermatologist suggested I use this for my break out prone skin. Many people think the more medicine in a cleanser will help their acne but ultimately it dries it out and the dead skin just causes more break outs. It works great washing off foundation but never gets all of the mascara. It preps my skin for moisturizer or acne medication. All in all its a great staple I would never wash my face with anything else.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2007 10:28:00 PM More reviews by mudfish_qx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

since i've given this cleanser more than enough tries, i thought it would be wrong NOT to publicly review this cleanser.

this cleanser really is suited to people who's skin is on the drier side, or to those who don't really breakout from their skincare products.

since my skin care regimen is complete and efficient, for some reason i thought that maybe i could downgrade my morning routine by using a more gentle cleanser. i picked up cetaphil for maybe the fourth time in my life, and this is also about the fourth time in my life than i have been disappointed.

i don't think any ingredients in this cleanser actually makes my skin break out, but i think it's the fact that it doesn't clean well ENOUGH that my pores become clogged. i'm going to continue to my alpha hydrox AHA nourishing cleanser, and MAYBE... maybe give cetaphil another try when i get older and my skin stops breaking out. i really wish they galderma would make a cleanser with the mildness of cetaphil but just did a better job of cleansing the skin. oh well.