MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

OMG, i almost can't believe this. Thing little baby makes my foundation stick like a magnet! I swear...This is totally different from the regular prep+prime w/o spf. That one only makes my skin feel velvety but doesn't makes my foundation stick to my skin. The texture also very different which make me thought "this one not work on me.." But i was wrong..
I have to take off my makeup using cleansing oil because my regular facial cleanser cannot remove all the dirt. I also realize that i don't need to re-apply my blot powder. amazing!

UPDATE!
This primer does make my foundation stick like magnet. BUT it makes my foundation cakey like hell! I didn't realize that until one day my sister said, what happen to ur foundation? I was sweating at that time and when i look in the mirror i was like, OMG! this is truly disaster. I took off my makeup and i swear i would never used that again.

on 7/17/2009 12:04:00 AM

I have *extremely* sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin. This product didn't irritate or break me out, which is wonderful, especially considering the SPF 50 in there. However, it only helped mattify my oily skin by about 30% at best. I'm still on the lookout for a good primer that will truly mattify my very oily skin.

on 7/16/2009 6:13:00 AM

I recently purchased this after seeing Lisaz09 video on it on youtube. I completely agree with her review. It works amazing! My foundation stays put all day and my T-zone is not shiny at all around noon. Yes it's a bit expensive for the small tube but it's worth every cent. HG !

on 7/15/2009 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Finally!!!!!!! I must admit when i saw the thick white consistency--my first reaction was "this is not gonna work for me"....surprisingly i was wrong! After trying umpteen primers--have finally found my HG. And bonus that this contains a sunscreen. I have oily/sensitive skin with large pores and have never found a product with a sunscreen that doesn't break me out until now. Also leaves a perfect canvas for my liquid foundation. Thank you MAC.

on 7/14/2009 6:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Okay okay, so this Suncream/Primer doesn't have the greatest packaging, and it's pretty expensive...but it's probably my most valuable product...and I have a lot of products. Perfect for my very oily and very fair skin, a light application of this protects my skin and preps it for liquid foundation. The texture is very thick, so I apply it with a foundation brush; it spreads evenly, and doesn't leave a white cast. After it dries, I finish up with the rest of my routine. The result? Matte, flawless, poreless skin for hours on end. I've used other primers, such as Smashbox Photo Finish in Lite. I like Smashbox primers, but they are more expensive and do not provide the sun protection. Extremely, ridiculously, highly recommended for those with fair or oily (or both!) skin.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Let me first start off by saying that I have very oily skin during the summer months and I have desperately been trying to find a moisturizer/primer or something to make me less oily. Well ladies, I think I've found it with the Prep + Prime SPF 50. This was recommended to me by some lovely ladies on the m/u board. It mattifies my skin and leaves me looking almost flawless. It also absorbs the oil on my skin. I use this as a moisturizer + primer. I used to use Philosophy When Hope is not enough but it would make me so very oily and in a few hours my face would be an oil slick. The Prep + Prime prevents this. I could wear this for hours in 100 degree heat and get only a bit oily. I've been using my MAC blot less since using this also. The fact that this has spf in it is also a huge plus!

Now the downside is that this is very expensive for the tiny bottle you get! I used to think my Philosophy was expensive but compared to this...Also while the bottle looks very pretty with the pink and blue glitters it's also hard and I can imagine it being a pain in the arse to get the product out once the bottle's almost empty. Of couse with this tiny bottle being $28 I wanna get all the product out of it that I can!

Overall though, great product. I love MAC but haven't tried a lot of their skincare. Maybe this will change now that I've discovered Prep + Prime. They've suckered me in with this in that I'll keep repurchasing.

on 7/13/2009 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I used this during the hot and humid summer to control the oilies in the t-zone and it works wonders! Didn't break a sweat with this on. Keeps the rest of my make up in place. Light-weight and easy to use. Just finished the tube and this summer I tried to go a day without it - big mistake. Going to repurchase a new one asap.

on 7/6/2009 7:33:00 PM

This primer definately does a good job of keeping your make-up looking beautiful all day, there's no denying that, my oily T-zone didn't so much as give a glimmer of shine when I wore this under any of my foundations and the SPF is brilliant. Unfortunately this really makes my skin break out and it took me a while to realise this was not the new products I had bought or my skin returning to it's teenage years. I'd really researched my choice of pimer and specifically chosen this over Laura Mercier because that didn't have such great reviews for oily skin - I have now switched over and it's great so I won't be repurchasing the MAC.

on 7/5/2009 3:58:00 AM

I wish it had higher SPF.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Honestly, I am quite disappointed with most of MAC's Prep + Prime products and this is no exception. Here's the breakdown:
Pros:
-SPF 50 (I LOVE that aspect)
-Does a decent job as a primer
Cons:
-Takes what seems like an eternity to dry
-I'm not acne prone, but this made me breakout like crazy
-While this is more personal, I was unable to identify any "corrections" that it made on my skin (did not eliminate redness as I was hoping). However, this was never promised by the product description, I just expected it because other primers often work that way.
Neutrals:
-As far as the "oil control" that people have been talking about, I find that it is not incredible, but there is a SLIGHT effect so I can't say it's bad.
The sad truth is that MAC products are simply overrated most of the time. There are spectacular alternatives out there for half the price. :)