December 19, 2014 | 1630 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2009 6:13:00 AM More reviews by Bijou113

I recently purchased this after seeing Lisaz09 video on it on youtube. I completely agree with her review. It works amazing! My foundation stays put all day and my T-zone is not shiny at all around noon. Yes it's a bit expensive for the small tube but it's worth every cent. HG !

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2009 12:09:00 PM More reviews by stephanieb

Finally!!!!!!! I must admit when i saw the thick white consistency--my first reaction was "this is not gonna work for me"....surprisingly i was wrong! After trying umpteen primers--have finally found my HG. And bonus that this contains a sunscreen. I have oily/sensitive skin with large pores and have never found a product with a sunscreen that doesn't break me out until now. Also leaves a perfect canvas for my liquid foundation. Thank you MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2009 6:11:00 PM More reviews by websterboy20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Okay okay, so this Suncream/Primer doesn't have the greatest packaging, and it's pretty expensive...but it's probably my most valuable product...and I have a lot of products. Perfect for my very oily and very fair skin, a light application of this protects my skin and preps it for liquid foundation. The texture is very thick, so I apply it with a foundation brush; it spreads evenly, and doesn't leave a white cast. After it dries, I finish up with the rest of my routine. The result? Matte, flawless, poreless skin for hours on end. I've used other primers, such as Smashbox Photo Finish in Lite. I like Smashbox primers, but they are more expensive and do not provide the sun protection. Extremely, ridiculously, highly recommended for those with fair or oily (or both!) skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2009 6:48:00 PM More reviews by strawberrytaurus

Let me first start off by saying that I have very oily skin during the summer months and I have desperately been trying to find a moisturizer/primer or something to make me less oily. Well ladies, I think I've found it with the Prep + Prime SPF 50. This was recommended to me by some lovely ladies on the m/u board. It mattifies my skin and leaves me looking almost flawless. It also absorbs the oil on my skin. I use this as a moisturizer + primer. I used to use Philosophy When Hope is not enough but it would make me so very oily and in a few hours my face would be an oil slick. The Prep + Prime prevents this. I could wear this for hours in 100 degree heat and get only a bit oily. I've been using my MAC blot less since using this also. The fact that this has spf in it is also a huge plus!

Now the downside is that this is very expensive for the tiny bottle you get! I used to think my Philosophy was expensive but compared to this...Also while the bottle looks very pretty with the pink and blue glitters it's also hard and I can imagine it being a pain in the arse to get the product out once the bottle's almost empty. Of couse with this tiny bottle being $28 I wanna get all the product out of it that I can!

Overall though, great product. I love MAC but haven't tried a lot of their skincare. Maybe this will change now that I've discovered Prep + Prime. They've suckered me in with this in that I'll keep repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2009 12:22:00 PM More reviews by tiffy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this during the hot and humid summer to control the oilies in the t-zone and it works wonders! Didn't break a sweat with this on. Keeps the rest of my make up in place. Light-weight and easy to use. Just finished the tube and this summer I tried to go a day without it - big mistake. Going to repurchase a new one asap.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2009 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Veedebee

This primer definately does a good job of keeping your make-up looking beautiful all day, there's no denying that, my oily T-zone didn't so much as give a glimmer of shine when I wore this under any of my foundations and the SPF is brilliant. Unfortunately this really makes my skin break out and it took me a while to realise this was not the new products I had bought or my skin returning to it's teenage years. I'd really researched my choice of pimer and specifically chosen this over Laura Mercier because that didn't have such great reviews for oily skin - I have now switched over and it's great so I won't be repurchasing the MAC.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2009 3:58:00 AM More reviews by lilibat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wish it had higher SPF.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2009 3:15:00 AM More reviews by withdiamonds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Honestly, I am quite disappointed with most of MAC's Prep + Prime products and this is no exception. Here's the breakdown:
Pros:
-SPF 50 (I LOVE that aspect)
-Does a decent job as a primer
Cons:
-Takes what seems like an eternity to dry
-I'm not acne prone, but this made me breakout like crazy
-While this is more personal, I was unable to identify any "corrections" that it made on my skin (did not eliminate redness as I was hoping). However, this was never promised by the product description, I just expected it because other primers often work that way.
Neutrals:
-As far as the "oil control" that people have been talking about, I find that it is not incredible, but there is a SLIGHT effect so I can't say it's bad.
The sad truth is that MAC products are simply overrated most of the time. There are spectacular alternatives out there for half the price. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2009 11:37:00 AM More reviews by evvlynie

Love love love this product. I have fairly oily skin and this is the first product that really makes a noticable difference. The first day I applied, it got very hot outside and I was sure my face looked ugly and sweaty. However, when I looked in the mirror, no sign of oilyness. It also gives great staying power to my make up. Great, great product for sun protection and battling oil and grease. Only con is that it is a small tube for quite a lot of money but will definitely repurchase again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 9:26:00 PM More reviews by vintagezombie

I get all warm and fuzy just thinking about this primer. I have very oily skin, I've tried a few primers, different foundations, face powders, whatever, and none have been able to do what MAC's Prep + Prime SPF 50 has done for me. It sounds cheesy to say its changed my life but it has.

Oil Control: When I'm not wearing primer my skin becomes oily 4-5 hours after applying foundation (sometimes sooner on bad days), and by 3 or 4 pm I have to blot (I just use tissue). When I wear the Prep+Prime my skin gets a little 'dewy' after a few hours but it rarely gets to the point when I feel like I need to blot. Even if its 10 o'clock at night, my face will still look only dewy or just slightly oily.

Foundation Wear: My usual face products are Revlon's Colorstay Foundation, followed by a pressed powder. I apply my foundation right after the primer because it CS is easier to blend with something else underneath. With the Prep + Prime my foundation lasts all day and if there aren't any lines around my nose or mouth (from smiling).

Breakouts & Pores: I almost always have one or two new zits everyday, and I don't find this to have affected my skin in that way at all. I usually just use the primer on my forhead, nose, & cheeks, and my breakouts are always around my mouth and cheeks. So this primer hasn't made me breakout more or less. Also its never clogged pores or caused any other skin irritations.

Application & Removal: The formula is light and easy to apply. I use to just use a dot on each cheek, nose, and forehead but I've found using a bit more makes it work even better at controlling oil. This washes off just fine with my Olay face cleanser (it has little exfoliating beads), I don't have a problem with this staying on my face when I don't want it there.

Packaging: This comes in a little sparkly black tube that is narrow on the top and has the opening on the bottom. Its only 1 ounce, which I think it a rip off for $28. Also I think it will be a pain to get all of the product out when I start getting to the end. I would probably cut it open if not for the fact that I would not be able to take the empty tube back to MAC for a free lipstick or whatever. I only use the primer on days when I know I'm going to be away from home all day, otherwise I feel like I'm wasting it and I don't want to have to rebuy this all the time.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No