Certain Dri

4.4

Active ingredient: Aluminum Chloride 12%. Inactive ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Water.

on 2/26/2008 3:55:00 PM

Let me first just say that I have never really noticed a problem with excessive sweating so much as excessive body odor-- since high school I have been extremely self-conscious about what state my armpits were in at any given point in the day. Some days, it seemed like I could go all day, sweating a little here and there, with no noticable odor. On other days, the first time during the day that I'd feel myself sweating just a little bit it was knock-you-on-your-ass foul-smelling. So...I'm not a super-heavy sweat-er but man does it pack a punch on smell!
I tried Certain Dri a few years ago and followed the directions (so I thought) but finally quit using it after about a month because I felt like a chimp, scratching under my arms all the time due to the intense itching and red rashiness. It was driving me crazy.
I read some reviews on here awhile back and thought, oh what the heck I'll give it another go. The Secret Clinical Strength I'd been using worked just fine but as other people had mentioned the scent was so strong it was making me nauseous. (Yeah, I know...I have a real thing about smells.) So I buy a bottle of the CD and decide I'm going to give it a little fine tuning on the application until I get it right.
Yay! I apply it every other night or every 3 nights. I use 4 strokes (2 upwards, 2 downwards) and apply RIGHT BEFORE I get into bed so that I generally have fallen asleep (or am getting really sleepy) before the fire-pits start, which really aren't as bad this time around for some reason. The following morning and on the non-Certain Dri days I use Nature's Gate Spring Fresh deodorant so I have a little extra protection but without the extra exposure to antiperspirant chemicals.
This has worked wonderfully for me. I am one happy girl.

on 2/20/2008 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Wow, this stuff is effective, but truth be told it makes me miserable every time i use it. I cant sleep, it stings, itches, and burns to the point that i have stopped using it. I didnt throw it away though because its good to have around for really important occassions.(weddings, speaches, ect) A great every day deoderant is soft and dri powerstripe. It has tea tree oil, triclosan, and witch hazel in it and is the only regular deoderant that works for me. all those other brands have the same basic ingredients but powerstripes got the goods.

on 2/19/2008 6:32:00 PM

This product has saved my life. I sweat so much it is ridiculous and embarassing, not to mention uncomfortable (esp in cold weather...eww). It does irritate when you put it on right after shaving your arm pits...so just wait 30 min or so to apply but if you must apply asap for whatever reason apply cortisone cream over it and that should help with the irritation. I ALSO just discovered another nifty trick for this! I am rather pleased with myself haha. I have bangs and cowlicks and get really frustrated when I go out at night and I sweat on my forehead and my bangs get messed up, so annoying. So...I experimented and rubbed some of this over my hair line and neck line. I immediately put cortisone cream over it because the last thing I wanted to do was break out in a rash on my face...but I didn't break out although it itched a bit, and I DIDN'T SWEAT. HG.

on 2/19/2008 3:04:00 PM

I wouldn't recommend this product for people that don't have problems with excessive sweating, but for anyone that knows the embarrassment of keeping your arms down to cover your sweaty pits, or wearing layers of shirts so the outer layer keeps dry (even in warm weather), or even avoiding certain colors of fabrics so your 'problem' doesn't show as much, this is the product for you.

Yes, it itches a bit at times, but for me, the itching isn't bad enough to stop me using the product. My experience has been that it might itch a bit when I put it on, and that's about it.

The product worked from day one for me, imagine my excitement! At first I'd apply every second day, but after about 8 months now of use, I'm at the point where I'll apply once or twice a week. I still use a regular deodorant every morning (currently using an Adidas aluminum free product http://makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=66171/Adidas_24hr_Control_Absorbent-Deo/Unlisted_Brand/Skincare_-_Body), and the combo works very well for me.

While I've never tried other products of this kind, Certain Dri has changed my life. I'm so much more confident now.I wish I would have found out about it sooner.
Read the directions carefully, it's to be applied at night.

Edit to add that I've been using this product for 8 months now, and I'm still on the same bottle. Don't let the price turn you away. It may seem pricier that a normal deodorant up front, but the bottle lasts a long time.

on 2/17/2008 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I've been using this deodorant for 2 1/2 years now and I can say I've gotten used to this product and how my armpits itch. At first I was a little hesitant my first day of using it and I felt the itch and burning in my armpits but I read the directions and it explained why I felt like that. (It's because I just got out of the shower and I just shaved.) I use this ONLY at night; wearing white t-shirts or shirts that I just wear at home. The reason for this is, this product bleaches the armpits of your shirts. So be careful! I have shirts that have lighter colored armpits now! I have to say though that this product DOES work! I haven't had to put on a deodarant for a long time! I don't sweat in my armpits anymore! I love this stuff! NO MORE WORRYING and just being CERTAIN! Hahaha how corny I know!

on 2/10/2008 1:21:00 PM

This is the only product I've found to stop me from being a such a sweaty monster. Do take care and follow directions. It will irritate your skin if you use it even a few hours out of the shower or if you apply too much. But they really mean it about the 72-hour protection. I apply it at most every other night. The rollerball does drip sometimes, but that is a very minor issue. Incredibly effective.

UPDATE: Mind-blowing. Since I've been using this over year I only need to apply once a week or so. And it's August. It's that good.

on 2/7/2008 9:25:00 PM

I must say this product is an amazing anti-perspirant. This may sound dirty, but since I started using it, I don't wear deodorant! I instead just sprits my underarms with a Bath and Body Works body spray. While this does prevent my sweating incredibly, sometimes I don't know if it's worth the uncomfortable itch. Even if I use it when I haven't shaved, my armpits itch and are an irritated color of red. The next day it isn't as harsh, but it isn't pleasant. I'm considering trying another deodorant over it to see if that will lessen the irritation. But for now, just four lippies for this product. The itching and burning knocks one off for me.

BUT, this product does work wonders for sweaty ladies. If you're going to try, you might want to be prepared for some uncomfortableness.

on 1/27/2008 3:11:00 PM

okay so normally i never write reviews on 'stuff, but for certain dri i feel like i have to! ever since i hit puberty around age 12, i've had sweating problems. back then i could use a roll on deoderant though and the sweating would be reduced, but in the past two years it seems like nothing works! i tried secret, degree, and arrid which did absolutely nothing for the sweating. 'some other deoderants like dove, ban and mitchum reduced sweating but only like 60%.. i still got sweat stains on my shirts. i used to only be able to wear dark clothing, or really loose clothes especially around the underarm area, so my sweat wouldn't show. or i would have to wear a hoody or sweater over all my bright colored shirts so the sweat wouldn't show. finally i heard about certain dri on this website and yesterday i went down to walgreens and got it for like $7. after reading many pages of reviews (lol) 'i applied it at night time and i expected it to sting or burn or itch, but none of that happend which is awesome. the only issue i had was the bottle leaked and was very runny, so i had some of it dripping from the bottle and onto my pants, and when i applied the anti perspirant some of it rolled down under my armpits and into my tank top. i applied 3 light strokes to each underarm and it dried up in about 5 mins. it itched very lightly for a couple of minutes after it dried but that's all. today i took a shower and applied dove deoderant and i was brave enough to wear a light brown, long sleeved, tight tee shirt and guess what? no sweat stains!! i mean i still feel a little damp in my armpits but there isn't a lot of sweat and again this is only my first day using it so i'm sure after a couple more uses it'll work 100%. i'm so excited! lol i never thought any anti perspirant would work for me, and i seriously thought i was the only one with this issue..but i guess not. i've only had certain dri for a day and i already love it!

on 1/24/2008 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the only over the counter product that worked for my excessive sweating. From puberty until age 38, I had to choose my clothing based upon whether or not it would show armpit sweat. As you can imagine (or you have experienced if you're a pit sweater), this is sadly limiting and frustrating. Certain Dri worked from day two completely (about 65 % from day one). I used it daily for about 8 months or so and now I only use it once a week or every 10 days. I use the lovely Vanilla Chai Secret on the other days!

When you apply Certain Dri, be sure to follow the directions; too much product applied at one time is NOT better...the one or two swipes recommended is what does the job. After shaving, it burns. As this is a nighttime product, I would shave my pits in the morning. It is watery and will drip, so care needs to be taken to wipe the excess off the surrounding skin. These are minor issues compared to the joy that comes with selecting any color top, any fabric, and knowing that I will not "leak". I HIGHLY recommend this.

on 1/23/2008 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the only stuff that keeps me from being a total sweat ball. Nothing else works as well.