December 21, 2014 | 1917 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2012 11:08:00 AM More reviews by jstastny

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading so many positive reviews here on Coconut Oil and its many uses, I bought a jar in March for about $10 and started to use only as a nighttime face wash (to remove makeup, including eyes). I quickly moved on to use it as an under eye moisturizer (at night) and then also as my morning face wash. Four months in, I couldn't be happier with the results.

My skin is by far more balanced than it ever was, and I say this as someone who has spent a good deal of time and money over the years searching for the best products for my skin. I have very sensitive, combination skin, with my nose being a bit more oily at times. It was common for me to have a few pores on my nose that always seemed open/bigger than the rest. I don't know how or why the Coconut Oil works, but without question my pores have shrunk and my skin is much more balanced. I always use a washcloth to remove/rinse from my face. I think some people go without but for me, I know that my face wouldn't feel clean if I didn't use the cloth.

Beyond the great results, I love love love the low cost and how far one $10 jar will go. I don't think I have ever had a superior skin care product (that cost only $10) last for 4+ months, especially when used twice a day.

While I do use it in the evening as an eye moisturizer (and very much like the results, no milia, skin is soft, etc.), I do find that it's a bit too greasy when worn with mascara. Maybe it's my application as I see others mentioning their use of it with make up.

I have not used it as a full on moizturizer, though in the colder, drier months I used a few dabs to enhance my Jurlique oil where my skin was a bit dry.

I also used it as a deep hair conditioner (twice alone and once with olive oil). I don't have anything positive or negative to say about that experience other than the recommendation that it be used as a pre-shampoo treatment rather than post-shampoo. Others may disagree but my experience was that it can be greasy as just a post-shampoo deep conditioner. It did leave my hair soft, but I was actually trying to remedy some issues with the ends of my hair that it turns out were perpetually caused by the type of cut I was receiving. I don't think any product could have resolved that issue in and of itself. I will try the conditioning treatment again now that my hair is back in line and will post back on results.

My only "negative" comment is that as you get down to the last 1/3 of the jar, it is very difficult to reach the product. Not sure this is even a negative since it's not designed for this type of use and the easy solution is to just use a spoon or other utensil.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by GrandPriestess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Organic Fiji Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil -- 12 fl oz

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to give this product some love. It so wonderful, and i use it for so many things.
1. 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 witch hazel for my eye makeup remover
2. Once a week I coat my hair as a deep conditioner prior to a shower for about 10 minutes.
3. In shower, after shaving my legs as a "after shave lotion"
or
4. As a all over body oil to hydrate my skin in a very natural form.

Out of the coconut oil's I have tried so far (about 5), this is the one I am going to be repurchasing from now on. Its such great quality and last forever even though I use it so much.
It's cold pressed, which is very important to the integrity of the product and USDA Certified Organic.

I highly recommend giving it a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2012 12:31:00 PM More reviews by ECLion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Coconut oil, for me, was a mixed bag. I have acne-prone dry skin, and this worked fantastically as a winter moisturizer. Just a little bit was enough to make my skin silky-smooth. As a sunburn relief, it is unparalleled. Cooling, soothing, and anti-inflammatory. It's not without problems, though. The container it came in (I bought a jar of organic here in Germany) wasn't of the highest quality. When the product melts (which it often does in the summer) it leaks and gets coconut oil on EVERYTHING. The outside of the jar/label got saturated and slimy. My gym bag got saturated. Just no good. It is also far too rich for anywhere else on my body. With the exception of my winter-weather chapped face, and a severe sunburn, nowhere seems to absorb it well. For the price and inconvenience, I will look somewhere else.

Short Version: great winter face moisture for this acne-prone girl. Fantastic sunburn relief too. Super annoying packaging and limited utility mean I probably won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by ladyjessica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. I could kick myself for not trying it sooner. My bathroom counter used to be filled with things and now it is pretty much empty! I use it for pretty much everything. I use it to wash my face (with or w/o makeup on), a night time and daytime moisturizer. Yes ladies you can wear this under your makeup! If you use to much it takes longer to absorb, so don't treat this like your other moisturizers. I alittle and I mean a little with work and absorbs quickly into your skin.
I also use this on my hair and let me tell you OMG, it feels beyond amazing. I have thick hair and it doesn't take much to make it feel weighed down but not this. I put it on and rubbed into my scalp, put a shower cap on and left it for a little over an hour. When I took the cap off my hair feeled light as air. I couldn't believe it. I had no trouble washing it out and after my hair dried, it was pure silk and still felt light!

I really can't say enough about this stuff and I can't stress enough that Less is more when you are using it!

For those of you having a hard time finding it, I found it at Wal-mart with the rest of the Vitamins for $10.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by happi23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this for everything. I use coconut oil for my skin and hair. I even use this on my baby. It soaks in and keeps our skin and hair moisturized anytime of the year.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2012 10:25:00 AM More reviews by geumjassi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using a cold-pressed 'organic' coconut oil (clear, smells very coconutty) for about 3 weeks as

- body moisturizer

- face moisturizer - as someone else mentioned here, what works for me is literally only a few drops, rubbed between palms to warm it up, then pressed and smoothed gently all over the face. I have an oily but dehydrated T-zone and this seems to work to produce somewhat less shine over time...

(Further notes in the neverending battle against excess sebum: At the same time that i switched to coconut oil as a moisturizer, I began to cleanse with soap / Biore perfect oil at night and cleansing with warm water in the morning only, also using lemon juice as a night-only toner every 3-4 days. So any / all of this may have helped as well.)

- eyelash conditioner - dabbed on the eyelashes / around eye area every night, my lashes look very (veryyy) slightly thicker now

I am just trying it out in my hair (as a treatment after shampooing and before conditioning - have read studies that the oil absorbs better on clean / clarified hair), although will probably wait til I can get a sulphate-free shampoo or brave the baking soda + apple cider vinegar method.. I have dry hair with an oily / sometimes flaky scalp (again, which lemon juice seems to have helped with), will update if the coconut oil seems to do anything more..

I live in a tropical country so the oil is liquid at room temperature and probably easier to work with than at colder temperatures.

Am giving a 3 rating because it is cheap (half the price of my old moisturizer for 4 times the volume), smells nice, and is easy to use (for me), also because there are no added chemicals in it (I hope!). Not giving a 5 because it hasn't really changed my skin / eyelashes / hair (yet!)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by annaleemerritt

I recently started washing my face and body with dr bronners (lavender) soap. My skin has never been so soft and clear, but thats another review.

I have combination skin, so i still felt the need for very slight moisturization after washing my face. After reading all the reviews on here, I decided to give organic extra virgin coconut oil a try. Bad idea. Horrible idea. Worst idea ever. I don't have very acne prone skin, but it is sensitive (hence my using Dr bronners and coconut oil instead of harsher, more commercial options) I was broken out completely in less than 48 hours.

I still gave this product a 4 because, as a prewash treatment, it seems to help my very damaged hair. Also, its great for cooking. For how little product is needed, the $10 jar I bought will probably last past its expiration date, so it is a good value.

Oh yeah, coconut oil is the best deodorant ever! Not an antipersperant, of course, but a tiny amount under each arm lasted me all day, with absolutely no odor! The coconut oil is worth it to me, just for that alone.

Overall, coconut oil is very versatile and useful for beauty and hygeine purposes, but I highly advise against using it anywhere near your face.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 6:57:00 AM More reviews by woahviviannn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After seeing so many videos on coconut oil as a great treatment for hair, I decided to purchase it myself and hope for the best. I bought mines on eBay for about $11.00 and it was a pretty huge container. I wanted to grow out my hair so I would apply this on every 2-3 a week. I don't do it every week because im lazy lol. But when I do use, I put the coconut oil all I've my hair. I'll massage my scalp and concentrate on my ends. I'll leave it on for more than 20 minutes or more if im feeling super lazy lol. Sometimes I would have it on my hair overnight and I wash it in the morning. The coconut oil has really moisturize my hair and helped it grow. I think I've been using this for about 4-6 months now. My hair is pretty long now, it's past my boobs.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Adi96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Awesome deep conditioner and curly hair sealer for natural curly girls out there! Buy it, love it, grow healthy hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by dainaleeo2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

[edit] Ok, so I wanted to come back to add onto the part about using this on my skin. I've been using it on my skin as a moisturizer for about 2 weeks, roughly, both morning & night. in the morning i use only a little bit & then use my usual Palmers face moisturizer afterwards. At night i apply it after a shower or after placing a hot towel over my face (the steam helps open pores, which helps allow the oil to really sink into your skin better), & then apply my night cream after a few hours (which is either the Ponds rejuviness cream or my Palmers night cream). Wow. my skin has never looked better. I've had such bad acne on my forehead since coming home from college, but this cleared it all up in a matter of days. It's also been clearing out anything on the rest of my face. Some of my old acne scars, i only have a few fyi, are healing as well. That may be from the combo of the coconut oil & the ponds cream, which has lactic acid in it ( a great acid for wrinkles, acne scars, etc). I haven't had a single bad reaction from it to date, & it's nearly 3 weeks. my mom has even been using it & loves it as well. For the record, my brand is Nutiva. :)

[original]
Like most that have reviewed this, I adore coconut oil, & use it in many of the ways that others have mentioned.
Hair: I use it as a pre-treatment & soak my hair in it, something I learned to do before when my hair was so badly damaged from my incessant bleaching. Now that my hair is short (cut off all the damage to start fresh!), I do have to wash it twice rather than once like before, but mostly because my hair is healthier & fine, so it'll get greasy easily if I don't.
Face: I just started using it on my face, just a tiny amount, in addition to my grapeseed oil. I need more moisturizing than what the grapeseed alone was doing. So I'll have to report back on this to make sure it's not going to break me out.
Diet: I put this in smoothies to help add nutrients to my diet, which in turn helps your skin & hair from the inside! Plus, as an added bonus, ingesting coconut oil as well as extra virgin olive oil (for the good saturated fats that both contain), it helps a lot in terms of cellulite! I have a little, just from poor diet during my college time, so I have realized this really does help aid in that conquest (& I know I'm not the only one here who probably needs a little help with that!)

Also, I read something on this forum for girls that grow their hair out really long (long hair forum I believe), that when you soak your hair in coconut oil before coloring or bleaching, it actually will minimize the damage & make the color better than if you didn't use it at all. It was really interesting! I have yet to try it, mostly since I'm sure my hair stylist wouldn't really understand & attempt to wash out the oil before coloring, but I may try giving myself some more highlights in the future by using this method. I just thought I would add that for anyone who wanted to look it up. :)