Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 10/28/2012 12:44:00 AM

One of the worst pieces of advice I ever received was, only condition your hair from the ears down. Thanks to MUA, I've been using coconut oil to treat my hair AND scalp for a few weeks now. I feel like I have new hair!! My hair is generally pretty healthy, but I feel like I've been fighting with it for a few years now and always looking for products to make my hair more manageable. I had even considered springing for an expensive salon treatment. My $10 jar of coconut oil saved my hair and my budget. I warm a small amount of coconut oil, sometimes I mix it with up to 50% castor oil, apply it directly to my scalp, work it through the ends, cover it with a shower cap and towel for a few hours or overnight. It does need to be washed out. My hair feels thicker, fuller, so soft and manageable! My favorite new thing is my hairline. It actually looks and feels nice now. All those baby hairs behaving themselves. This is the first time I've worn my hair pulled back to expose my hairline in years. I love it!

on 10/27/2012 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I buy cold-pressed, 100% natural coconut oil from the cooking oils section in the grocery store rather than the coconut oil from the hair section. The stuff from the cooking section is much purer. The stuff from the hair section tends to have fillers and silicones and other nasty stuff. So: go for the cooking coconut oil.

I duped my mother into trying this before I went anywhere near it. She mixes one tablespoon to one cup of boiling water. Mix well, let cool, and apply after shampooing. She is actually balding but the coconut oil seems to have made her hair thicker after six months of use.

I use it equal with an equal amount of raw honey. Melt and mix with one cup of lukewarm water. Mix thoroughly and apply to damp hair. Let sit fr as long as possible, preferably overnight. Then shampoo out. I've only used it twice but the results are actually stunning. My hair is very, very soft and shiny now. Like THE BEST conditioner ever, but it doesn't built up or anything! Just make sure to always use this before your shampoo rather than after, because the oil is hyrophobic - water resistant. If you don't shampoo it out and let the sulfates in the shampoo break the oil up, your hair WILL be oily. I tried getting it out with baking soda but that doesn't seem to work.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I love coconut oil. I use it to cook with and on my hair and skin. I have very dry, sensitive skin. I have very dry, coarse and curly hair. I use coconut oil at night on my face. I wake up with a nice glow. I mix some in with my lotion to make a body butter. I mix a little in with my hair conditioner to use as a leave in or a deep treatment. My hair and skin drink this up and love it. I take a spoon and put in a separate conditioner. I don't use my fingers to dig it out as that can cause the oil to spoil faster. I use a plastic spoon to get the oil out of the container.
I do recommend buying the non-cosmetic grade type. I prefer the organic, extra virgin type that is cold pressed (processed as little as possible without heat). It tends to be more expensive but works and smells way better. Trader Joe's has been carrying one for about $5 a jar. I can also find it at Whole Foods and most health foods stores.

on 10/21/2012 11:19:00 PM

Coconut oil is fantastic for hair and skin. I don't buy the most expensive but I do make sure its virgin (only pressed once) and pure. The great thing about coconut oil is that it actually penetrates the hair shaft as opposed to just sitting on top of the strand. Because it does penetrate, it conditions, restores etc. I could never get my hair to grow because of breakage from dying it and straightening it every day but now I use the oil and i tie my hair in a loose ponytail at bedtime..... and my hair is healthier, stronger and finally growing. The only drawback is that my dye washes out easier because of the oils but thats a small consequence to the major benefits from using the oil. I also use it around my eyes and it doesnt make them puffy like heavy creams. :)

on 10/17/2012 2:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been waiting 3 weeks to write a review since using this, though I wanted to write one after the first few days but I wanted to give a very thorough review of my experience with this awesome oil.
Well, first of all I find that I cannot use this on my face, but that's okay because everywhere else it is absolutely awesome for me. I did try it as a makeup remover which worked great, but it still gave me a lot of blackheads the next morning..so it's not for my face and I understand a lot of people cant use it on their face either.
I put it in my hair once a week and leave on for as long as I want, and then wash it out. I don't even have to condition my hair anymore because it's so soft and manageable and looks so much healthier. It also makes my scalp feel really great, but I have to put shampoo in my hair 2-3 times to get it all out.
It makes an awesome shave lotion and I don't get razor burn anywhere that I put it, and after the shower it's a great moisturizer and my skin has a better look to it.
It is an awesome lip balm too, it makes my lips feel so nice and silky and it's very hydrating, better than any of my regular lip balms I have.
Some really good things I've noticed since using it is, that I used to have these tiny bumps on my upper arms and I don't have those anymore. I have a few red blotchy places on my calves and those are a lot less noticeable as well. My hands and cuticles look a lot better too. I have even consumed small amounts of it, like a teaspoon or so, and I feel healthier..I don't know if it has anything to do with it but it might. I really think it does help your hair grow, because since using it as a lotion I have to shave a lot more often.

on 10/10/2012 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

6 months ago I was giving up on my dry brittle hair. then I remembered my mum spreading coconut + olive oil on my hair when I was a child. I began to do that again and my hair looks amazing.
Apply a spoon of coconut and a spoon of olive a little warm starting on the ends and going up and then massage your scalp, and then put a plastic bag over your head for 30 mins. Rinse w shamppo and a bit of conditioner and dry. You will notice changes after the 2-3 time you do this treatment.
You do have to be constant with this type of treatment or it won't work, you have to do this once a week, but is so worth it it will became your routine.

My hair dresser gave me a bottle of coconut oil that a customer had brought back from a vacation, and she said she could't use it on anyone but me - I have very thick, dry and curly hair. What surprised me initially was that this oil actually thickened to a paste in my bathroom, which appearantly is much cooler than my hair dresser's. It still isn't too difficult to use though, I usually just squeeze the plastic bottle and take out a small pea-sized amount with a spatula, then warm that in my hands and apply it on towel-dry hair, which works nicely - it gives me shine and eases frizz, and the bottle will probably last me a lifetime so not sure I will have to repurchase ;)
I also tried this as an intense overnight conditioner (heating some up in the microwave), but I won't repeat that - it was just messy and didn't seem to leave my hair that much better for it. I have tried many hair oils now and the big advantages of this are the neutral smell (it actually doesn't smell of coconut in its natural state) and the fact that it doesn't make my dark blonde hair with highlights look any darker. I wouldn' t call this a HG though, I am still looking for the perfect hair oil. I liked this best along with Moroccanoil so far though, and while Moroccanoil often gets criticized for the high content of silicones, this one is all- natural, so I feel safer using it.

This product is alright, but I would highly recommend Memory Oil! I bought this 14 oz. bottle of oil for $10 and I'm in love with it!

on 9/13/2012 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got a jar from Wal-mart for $10, months ago! Been using coconut oil as a moisturizer at night, and I love it. I have combination skin so this helps with the dryness. I dont use it in the morning because I'm afraid it'll be too much and cause breakouts. I use it to take off eye makeup occasionally, and leave on the excess like an eye cream. I've also used it for lip balm, and a deep conditioner.

I wasnt thrilled with the results as a deep conditioner, even though I applied a decent amount to my long hair and left it on for hours. Will have to try again after I use up my other stuff.

I look forward to trying coconut oil in other ways after I run out of products I currently have! Definitely worth a try IMO :)

This stuff is HG status for me. I initially started using it when I developed a chronic yeast infection that lasted about 7 months and wouldn't respond to any medicine my doctor was giving me (sorry if that's TMI, but this stuff literally saved my sanity). After about 3 days of using it (ingesting 3 tbs a day, applying topically 3 to 4x a day), my yeast infection almost completely cleared up. Now, anytime I get a yeast infection, this is what I instantly go for, and it works wonderfully. I love that it has none of the nasty side effects or tolerance buildup that Monistat or Diflucan or any other prescription med for yeast has. It kills all species of candida (whereas most OTC meds and Diflucan are only effective against one or two different species), and that's not all it's good for. It also makes my skin super soft and smooth, and I like to use a little bit on the ends of my hair when it's wet. For me, coconut oil is a godsend and if you're battling chronic candida overgrowth, definitely give this a shot.
EDIT 9/24: I've found that adding a couple of drops of tea tree oil to the coconut oil gives it extra firepower for really persistent infections. This is the most effective way I've found for treating recurrent yeast infections (and I've been prescribed almost everything under the sun for it.). Wish I'd known about this one sooner!
EDIT 10/7: Thought I'd also add that this stuff works great for cold sores too. I got a really bad cold sore the other day because of the weather, and I applied some VCO to it last night before I went to bed and it already feels sooo much better. Coconut oil never ceases to amaze me.
EDIT 1/19/13: I was in the hospital for a month and coconut oil was one of the few products I brought with me. I was completely immobilized, and used this on my body when I had to be turned. All the nurses commented on how much it improved my skin, and how it even prevented me from getting pressure sores. A few of them even purchased a jar of coconut oil after seeing how much it did for me. I also had a nasty scar on my hand from my injury that I have been applying coconut oil to a few times a day, and it is nearly gone. I never, ever want to be without VCO...I buy a couple jars at a time, and use it for just about everything. Love, love, love!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products