Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face Powder

3.9

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 6.0%, Zinc Oxide 4.2% Ingredients: Mica,Squalane, Silica, Boron Nitride, Lauroyl Lysine, Kaolin, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines

on 2/12/2009 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

i love this compact. i think the brush sucks tho so when i'm at home i use a face brush and on the go i buy disposable facial sponges which put more on. this never makes me break out and i don't feel like i have too much make up caked on (unlike other brands, like mac, it actually looks like my skin not a mask). my only complaint is that it doesn't last as long as i'd like.

on 1/26/2009 12:26:00 AM

it does keep my face from breaking out. i had gotten the lightest shade, but i had to reapply it so much to hide my shine problems it looked too dark on me!
i wish it would stay the way it is when i first put it on. its really light feeling and makes my skin look even toned. but my oil problems on my tzone are just too much for this powder.

on 1/19/2009 11:05:00 AM

im definitely a powder foundation devotee and had recently been searching for one with decent spf protection. it is amazing how many brands (high and low end) make claims of spf 15 or 20, but lack UVA protection.

i had passed over this product a million times, but spotted it over the weekend and was attracted to it because it utilized titanium dioxide and zinc as the active sunscreens, and the rest of the ingredients list was pretty minimal. i bought it in "translucent light," which turned out to be a touch too dark. besides that, i loved the coverage. light, non-cakey, and matte. i exchanged the light one for "translucent" and it is a better match for me. so far it hasn't oxidized at all and it wears evenly all day.

the breakout test was when i wore it all day yesterday and even fell asleep in it, and did not wake up to any clogged pores. i feel apprehensive suggesting that it may be an HG so early in, but for now it looks great, is cheap and easily accessible, and seems to be safe for my acne prone skin. recommended!

1/26/09--unfortunately i have to update with some sad news: this broke me out! as a rule, anything that shouldnt work for my skin does and vice versa and that was very much the case for this powder. it seems to have such safe ingredients, but after about 4 days of wear i got a few giant blemishes in strange places. i quit using it and am back to clear skin. also, even the translucent was still too dark for me, and when i blotted midway through the day, the residue that came off was orange. yikes!

on 1/16/2009 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I just found an old compact of this in the talc-free version (Beige). Years ago it was a daily staple. It covered well enough and kept the oilies at bay for most of the day. I switched over to loose minerals and must've tried a dozen different brands, none of which I really cared for. Then for the first time in my life I went to liquid foundations. Again, most of them weren't all that and it was more work than I wanted to bother with. So, I'm back to powder foundations and right now I'm between my Nars and Estee Lauder Double Wear compacts. I don't have much of this left but I may add it into my rotation and see if it compares. Who knows, I may start buying it again. The price is certainly right.

on 1/6/2009 10:29:00 AM

Really wanted to like this. Color and price is good but anywhere I put this on my skin it gets patchy. No matter what I do, it won't blend. :-(

on 1/5/2009 8:30:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Colorgirl333 solved any problem I had with this product and a lot of others as well. As soon as I read how she crushed up the powder, I literally grabbed mine and ran into the kitchen. I not only crushed it, I put if through a sifter as well. Now I have twice as much product and will be able to use less. I loved the idea so much that I did the same with two blushes and only stopped when I ran out of jars! One more thing. If you use a funnel to get it into the jar, it might stick. I guess is one way of finding out how much oil there is.

on 1/5/2009 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I use this powder in translucent everyday. It didn't make my skin look great or anything, but it's natural n light on my skin. the coverage is not great, but i don't wanna look cakey n powdery. if you have sort of dark or tan skin, i don't recommend getting this powder in translucent because it does have some color.

I use moisturizer all over my face n neck, n put concealer under eye n for spots, n then i use this powder. i've been using this powder for about 5 months or so now. I never had any problem with it, so that's good. However, if your skin is dry you have to put on a moisturizer before because it can make your skin dry.

it's a pretty good powder for everyday light use =)

on 12/30/2008 9:57:00 PM

Got this @ 40% off in SDM, and my first mmu purchase! I bought this in Creamy Natural. The finish of this powder is gorgeous, but it dries my skin out after wearing it the whole day. I really wanted this to work for me.

on 12/16/2008 8:36:00 PM

First off I can not say enough good things about this product, it has completely saved my skin!! That is not an overstatement I assure you! I mean I would be their spokesperson on this powder in a second with no questions asked! (Can you tell I LOVE it yet)....anyway a little about my skin prior to finding my glorious HG product. I had the oiliest skin, major blackheads, and breakouts all the time. I was using a liquid foundation and had been pretty much ever since I started using makeup and I had all these skin issues prior to using makeup as well. I had tried different brands of makeup from drugstore to high end and nothing helped so I just assumed that was how my face was going to be, not to mention all the cleansers and three step and four step products I had tried to treat all my problems. Well I saw a infomercial for Bare Minerals (which I have never tried), but it was saying how the minerals are good for you and if you have problematic skin it's what you've been looking for. So I thought about ordering it right then, but then I was like well you have to order it you can't just go to the store and pick it up when you run out, and I'm not sure of the shade I need...so and and so forth. So I went to Wal-Mart the very next day and was on the prowl for a mineral powder. I swear I was in those makeup isles forever comparing formulas and prices and shades and size and all that good stuff. So I "settled" on Physicians Formula mineral powder in the compact because I figured it would be less messy than the loose and the packaging seemed better. Well I get home with it, open it and instantly throw the brush away because it's useless! I had an Arbonne kabuki brush so that's what I used to apply it with (and still use it's awesome). The first day I was like oh it's okay, second day, it seemed better, third day even better, after 1 week my face wasn't so oily and my breakouts were going away. So I was getting really excited, well by week 2 I had very few blackheads no pimples and less oil! My face has been completely clear ever since, and that's been almost 2 years! Now I do have the occasional hormonal breakout from that certain time of the month, other than that nothing. My face is naturally on the oily side so I just use a blotting paper mid day and I'm fine. This has seriously saved my skin, I know this is a long review but I wanted to stress how wonderful this is and what it did for me.
Application- I apply moisturizer, let it set for a few minutes then swirl my brush (a kabuki brush is best but a powder brush will work) in the powder and apply to one section of my face at a time until it's blended. After all the sections are done I then buff buff buff until it's all blended and isn't powdery! If I need concealer I apply it after I've applied the powder then go back over it with my brush to blend it out. Now that it's winter I change it up a bit because I tend to get a few dry patches. I do everything the same as above but after I'm done with those steps I put some of my moisturizer in my palm and dip a stippling brush in it and pat it around on my had so that I don't have too much then I stipple it all over my face concentrating on the dry patches and it just makes them disappear! It's amazing, it also sets my makeup so if you try this powder and find it seems too powdery try stippling some moisturizer over it. Again, sorry this is so long but I just had to tell my story hopefully it will help someone!

on 12/1/2008 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

My experience with mineral make up is limited, but I've found that I have to buy something that looks a lot darker than I am! This stuff is okay--esp. for the price. I get it at Wal Greens (they always have some sale so it's like $8).
I don't like this second compact as much as I did the first one, I'm getting more of that powdery thing going on this time. The compact itself is rather bulky (I took it apart and put the multi colored concealer in the bottom half!) and the brush really is a joke! I like it because it doesn't irritate me and really evens out my skin tone in a hurry. Also, I can carry it in my purse & reapply w/o too much mess or fuss.