October 22, 2014 | 2007 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Clear Pore Cleanser Mask

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2008 10:44:00 AM More reviews by lipstik

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A friend recommended this to me when I had a bad reaction from Arbonne products -- I had broken out everywhere I had used the RE9 serum in deep, painful, hard and very resilient cystic zits that took forever to surface and then hung around for over a month no matter what single products I tried. I have never broken out like that before (only the rare single teeny hormonal blemish, even as a teenager) and I usually have really great skin.

I used this in conjunction with the Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-n-1 Fight and Fade Gel which I used as a spot treatment overnight, and then the next morning I used the Clear Pore Mask (also as a spot treatment). I did this for two nights in a row and the spots are basically gone.

Warning: You have to be VERY careful using this method because if you are too aggressive with this you could end up scarring permanently. Also this will dry out the skin where you put the product (which is why you should only use as a spot treatment), and you have to resist manually peeling or picking the dried-out skin because you will be left with a red, raw patch of skin even bigger than the actual size of the zit (trust me on this!). Let the dry skin fall off naturally (in the next day or two) and you can help it along by using a mild exfoliant like Clinique Mild Clarifying lotion (no alcohol) after cleansing and a mild moisturizing retinol product like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle cream. Both of these products will speed up the healing process and help fade any resulting scars.

If you experience any redness or irritation [or if you didn't heed my warning about picking or peeling the dry skin off yourself], you can calm the skin down with a plain gentle moisturizer like Eucerin Sensitive Skin cream or calming cream.

And, if you have very sensitive skin, or are sensitive to (any combination of) salicylic acid, retinol or benzoyl peroxide, you should not use any of the aforementioned products except for the Eucerin sensitive skin creams.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2008 10:45:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is not my top choice facial cleanser or mask. However, my roomie always had this on hand and when I was running low I would borrow this from her. Overall, no problems and it did its job. Nothing that made me feel I need to switch over, but it certainly did what it was supposed to do without causing any problems. Too drying for the winter though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 4:45:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

First cleaner that I actually like for acne prone and oily skin- I bought it for my son for those occasional breakouts, It works great. It gets rid of the acne especially if you use it as a mask. It clears your face well as a cleanser. Multi-purpose! Then, I started using it. Do not get the cleanser around the eye area . So far so good. And cheap. Update: I found it a little too drying in certain areas. I recommend this as a spot cleaner and mask for the acne areas only.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 5:09:00 PM More reviews by HotCurry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My HG face wash/mask! If you're one of those people that doesn't react well with Salycilic Acid (like me), and BP creams tend to dry out/irritate your skin, you might want to try a BP face wash. In fact, BP face washes are the only thing that keeps my skin clear!!! I have always used a 10% BP wash, but I read that anything above 3.5% isn't any more effective, only more drying...and now I do believe that's true, since this Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask has kept my skin nice and clear, without any of the irritation! In fact, this has worked BETTER for clearing my skin than the 10% BP washes! I use this twice a day as my cleanser, and a few times a week I leave it on a few minutes longer as a mask, and it works great as both! This is the only product of it's kind available in the drugstore, and I would die if they stop making it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2008 1:13:00 AM More reviews by hystericalredhead

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My HG cleanser! Nothing else would clear my skin.

--------
DID YOU KNOW? Your acne cream/wash could be making your skin worse?? If you're like me, salicylic acid treatments will actually make your acne worse! benzoyl peroxide products are all that will work for me, but you can have the opposite problem.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2008 4:55:00 PM More reviews by fancyxamy

although this is not an every day, must-have product for me, i seem to always have a tube of it around. i mainly use it when my skin is at its lowest and worst--clogged, broken out, oily. i guess this is like my emergency mask! after taking a shower, i apply a thick layer of it over my whole face and let it dry completely. i then use a washcloth to kind of gently scrub it off. the difference isnt 'hold onto your seat' dramatic, but blemishes really do seem smaller, pores a little clearer and skin extra clean and calmer overall. the bp in this is at a fairly low strength, 2.5%, but you should still avoid using it on overly dry or dehydrated skin. this is a product that i will definitely continue to buy and is a good weapon to have in your arsenal.

update: i just wanted to add that this past weekend, my skin was absolutely awful. on saturday night i used this, left it on for like 15 minutes and used acne.org's bp overnight. in the morning, my breakout was GREATLY reduced, blemishes were flattened and overall texture was less bumpy. it really speeds up the elimination of breakouts and for that reason i will always have it around!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2008 2:27:00 PM More reviews by crystal105

No adverse affects. Though, I hate the menthol. It just didn't do anything. It didn't clear me up, but it didn't cause breakouts. I used this twice a week as a mask, and yea...nothing. I didn't like it as a cleanser, though it does lather pretty nicely, so if you're looking for a benzyol peroxide cleanser that lathers, then you may like this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2008 2:52:00 PM More reviews by productjunkie76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I have been using on and off for a few years now. I used to mix with aspirin but my skin has gotten more sensitive and drier lately. Right now I am washing in the PM with my PC n/o cleanser and then dry my face and then massage in some grapeseed oil for 5-10 min. I then put this mask on top of grapeseed oil and let sit for another 10 min and then rinse. The grapeseed oil seems to help the mask suck things out and also not be as drying as it would normally be.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2008 5:10:00 AM More reviews by laurennyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

With a name called 'Clear Pore' you'd think this product would clear your pores. Guess again, it's just a fancy gimmic to lure you into buying the product. Did not clear my pores. Left my skin dry - the kind of dry that feels like your skin is almost desperate for moisture. Would not use it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 12:36:00 AM More reviews by sbprincess21

I mainly use this as a once or twice a week deep cleaning "mask" treatment (especially in the summer time when my skin is super oily!), OR as a face wash when I need my skin to be super deep cleaned after those hot, sweaty days. It washes off all of that make up gunk, and leaves my skin feeling fresh and the absolute cleanest it could be. I couldn't use this on a daily basis though as it would dry my skin out something terrible, but as a every now and then "super" cleanser, a nightly cleanser, or a weekly face mask it is PERFECT!

What I love most about this product is how it literally makes my blackheads disappear like nothing else. It's a good face wash to have on hand when you feel like your regular cleanser just isn't enough, and you need something a little stronger-which we ALL know sometimes we need from time to time. It definitely helps my skin with oil control.

This is the face wash that I mostly turn to in the summer time, and especially when my acne begins to flare up, it catches those break outs and nips them in the bud because it cleanses sooo deep into your pores. I can use this mask at night when I feel my skin beginning to misbehave, follow up with my typical acne treatment, and it helps A LOT!

For me, it's one of those face washes I always have on hand when my skin needs that extra extra cleansing.