October 24, 2014 | 1265 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal Waterproof

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 6:30:00 AM More reviews by Indrawn

My upper lashes are quite thin but I have a lot of them, and they are a decent length, but my lower lashes are virtually nonexistant.

* THICKENING & LENGTHENING - AMAZING! I tested this for a week before I wrote my review. My first mascara was Covergirl Lash Blast. It gave me fat, fake lashes but left them hard and crunchy, was extremely clumpy, and very hard to remove. I moved to Maybelline Full n Soft and loved it because it was an easy everyday mascara - decent volume, no clumping (main factor) and left my lashes feeling soft and still touchable.
I eventually got bored with the average, everyday look and wanted my 'real, fake' lashes again so I bought this. No regrets! The difference is REALLY noticeable, promise. Long, thick and full lashes. Already I've had people saying to me "OMG, I'm in love with your lashes! Are they fake?"

* SEPARATION - Not that great. The formula was actually perfect the first time I used it, but afterwards it became very gloopy and thick. Although it didn't glue any lashes together (my lashes stayed individual/separate) I felt there was too much product on each lash, weighing them down. It took a long time to dry - what I do is apply the mascara, use a tissue and rub off the clumps (usually at the outer corners and roots, the brush always picks up too much product even though I scrape it back into the tube before using), finish the rest of my makeup while it dries, and then use a lash comb. You MUST use a lash comb because this is very clumpy.

* CURL HOLDING - Surprisingly okay, even though the formula is so heavy and thick. Works nicely with my Shiseido curler.

* OTHER -
- I prefer this over Covergirl Lash Blast. It's been more than a year since I've used Lash Blast so I can't quite remember what it was like. But I think although both mascaras give dramatic, fake lashes, Colossal seems to give more length (because I remember having to layer Lash Blast with Maybelline Lash Stiletto for length) and leaves my lashes softer. Both are clumpy but Colossal I can put up with, and Lash Blast was quite hard to remove.

* VERDICT - I really do like this and I have already neglected my trusty Full n Soft. Spending the extra 5 minutes in the morning dealing with the clumpiness of this mascara is totally worth the beautiful, glam lashes you get. Although if I am in a rush or need an everyday mascara, I will go back to Full n Soft.

- - -

MAYBELLINE COLOSSAL vs COVERGIRL LASH BLAST
- Thickening/lengthening: Thickening is similar but Colossal is slightly better. Colossal also gives really long lashes while Lash Blast gives no length at all.
- Clumping: Colossal clumps inevitably. Lash Blast starts to clump if you apply more than 1 coat, but still requires a lash comb.
- Other: Colossal leaves your lashes soft, but Lash Blast turns them really crunchy and untouchable. Also Lash Blast is near impossible to remove!
- Price: Both are $18-19 AUD.
- Verdict: Colossal is my HG for thick dramatic lashes, definitely.

- - -
PRICE [3] $19 AUD | PACKAGING [4] | REPURCHASE [yes]

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2010 6:15:00 PM More reviews by 101alexis

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow!! I love this mascara. I wore it on a weekend trip to Niagara Falls, and we impulsively decided to go to the Cave of the Winds, and this mascara DID. NOT. SMEAR. ONE. BIT. Truly waterproof, flakeproof, and volumizing.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2010 5:37:00 PM More reviews by MakeMeUp14326

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

my sister bought this when she needed waterproof mascara, so i decided to follow in her footsteps and buy it, too. well. i used it a grand total of twice. it did not cover my eyelashes evenly, yet at the same time, it made my eyelashes look obnoxiously dramatic. i felt like i was wearing stage makeup. only...not good stage makeup.

i have moved on to bigger and better mascaras, and i will never look back.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2010 10:08:00 AM More reviews by cocopetite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't like this product... I never wear waterproof mascara, because it's difficult to remove it, but since I was going to the waterpark, I thought the best to do was to buy this kind of mascara. I bought this product, because it was cheap and just for a few uses. I was very unhappy to see, at the waterpark, that even tough I was wearing sunglasses and barely went into the water, that I had black under my eyes ! I used sunscreen, so I know that it made my skin more oily, but I figured that waterproof mascara could prevent this effect. I will not purchase it again !

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2010 12:39:00 AM More reviews by FakeJapSlayer

Doesn't clump and it does deliver volume. I hate that it's so hard to remove. Even with warm water and makeup remover. I hate the smell too. It's a nightmare removing this mascara. I'm not gonna repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2010 10:25:00 PM More reviews by channelfloral

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

When I first got this I was excited as I'd heard great reviews and it was so cheap!
It didn't live up to expectations.
It deffinately adds a lot of length to my lashes, but it adds no volume whatsoever. Infact, they look thinner than without any mascara...

Also, I know this is waterproof but all 3 makeup removers I've tried do not work, and yet, through the day I get panda eyes from it smudging, even the times I only wear it on the top lashes!

I now use this as the first layer to lengthen, and another mascara for volume.

Also, when I'm bored and it's late I have a habit of picking off my mascara, but this sort of slides off in a gunky sticky sort of fashion. Very annoying. It smells awful too.

I won't buy this again.

LC

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2010 9:46:00 PM More reviews by SteffStarrr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I'll start off with the positives of this mascara first. It's extremely buildable so you can get a natural look or a really dramatic, almost like falsies look (but not quite a falsies effect) It also doesn't look clumpy or spidery, I end up with really feathery lashes that are really doll like and still volumized. That's the only good thing about it...

Within a few hours, my curl has completely drooped, which has only happened with 1 or 2 waterproof mascaras that I've tried. Keep in mind that I have the classic straight, short, and stubborn asian lashes so if your lashes have a slight curl this might be a different case. The curl was completely gone, and my lashes were back to pointing straight down.

Even worse, by the end of the day, this mascara had smeared to my lower lash line. I have very oily lids though.

Overall, this didn't deliver anything that a WP mascara is supposed to have :( I really liked the initial results with this mascara too

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2010 3:18:00 PM More reviews by Analuiza

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product after reading so many good things about it in different beauty blogs. But I didn't see anything extraordinary about it, except from the yellow package, which is so different and nice. The mascara is quite thick, and in my lashes they get a little clumpy. It adds volume, but no lenght. I definetly won't be repurchasing it - there are better mascaras out there, including others made by Maybelline...

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by Laurac7

If a mascara says it's waterproof, i expect it to be waterproof. This mascara is a joke..admittedly i have quite oily lids/ watery eyes..but being waterproof, you'd think this would be able to cope...not like i'm wearing it swimming..just for normal everyday use.
But no..only used on top lashes and still the dreaded panda eyes appeared within hours. Horrible. The thickness of it would be great..if only they'd make it do EVERYTHING it says on the tube!
Waste of money. I've never found one of their mazzies that does what it says.
Kanebo all the way for me!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2010 8:15:00 AM More reviews by alliebeth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been struggling with mascaras that make my eyes itch and those that aren't smudgeproof/waterproof in the high heat/humidity of a southern summer.

This was one of the absolute worst mascaras I've tried on both counts. My eyes itched, starting later in the day, and didn't stop for a few days after.

As for the appearance of this mascara, it clumped my lashes together badly. I tried to improve the situation with a lash brush but only ended up separating the lashes somewhat with specks of mascara still intermittently down their length.

Furthermore, I had some smudges and flaking.

The result--my eyes were red and irritated with black specks of mascara down the length of my lashes and raccoon eyes on my lids and from the flakes under my eyes. I looked like I hadn't slept in a week and was auditioning for a horror movie. Baaaadddd stuff (for me). continued >>