Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal Waterproof

3.7

Isododecane, cera microcristallina/microcrystalline wax, cera alba/beeswax, c8-9 isoparaffin, disteardimonium hectorite, cera carnauba/carnauba wax, aqua/water, propylene carbonate, allyl stearate/va copolymer, lecithin, silica, sodium polymethacrylate, hydrogenated jojoba oil, phenoxyethonal, peg/ppg-17/18 dimethicone, ethylenediamine/stearyl dimer dilinoleate copolymer, ethylparaben, polyvinyl laurate, polyquaternium-10, souluble collagen, pathenol, propylparaben, isobutylparaben, methylparaben, butylparaben, oryza sativa starch/rice starch. [ /- may contain: ci 77499, ci 77492, ci 77491/iron oxides. ci 77007/ultramarines, ci77891/titanium dioxide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/ maganese violet, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, mica] F.I.L. d34889/1 U.S. patents: 5,462, 798; 6,099,183; 6,222,735; 6,296,411; 6,305,862; 6,309,123; 6,325,562; 6,331,086; 6,345,923

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like how it looks on me, as it adds pretty decent volume and curl. It's slightly clumpy, but not too much to really notice. The worst part about this mascara though is the raccoon eyes I get from it at the end of the day, even when I haven't gone swimming. I'll use it until I run out, but will not be repurchasing.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I purchase this for another $4 at my local drugstore with a coupon. I find it to hold my curls in all day and the formula isn't that bad. i have short asian eyelashes and when i tried this mascara it made seem like I had nice full lashes after 2 coats. the brush is fat but I dont mind it. but it does smudge on me due to the fact that Houston is very humid!!!!! so I can't avoid smudges with drugstore mascara unless it's my HG diorshow waterproof. but I like this a LOT better than falsies and voluminous carbon black wp.

My HG mascara. Not a fan of the rose scent, though. I can only use waterproof mascaras because regular mascaras don't hold my curl very well. I LOVE THIS MASCARA <3

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Nice mascara, but I was little disappointed because it doesn't give me any more volume than the regular volume express waterproof mascara. It does hold curls and stays on pretty well without flaking for most of the day. I did notice that the formula itself dries up little bit faster than any other mascaras I've tried so far. Love the yellow packaging! Something about yellow just makes me happy! I gave 3 lippies because I feel that the name of this mascara is misleading. It's just a regular volumizing mascara to me. Nothing really different or special, in my opinion. I'd recommend it if you want a regular volumizing mascara for daily use, but I'd also tell you not to expect mega volume with this one.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I love this mascara!!! It makes my eyelashes very thick and long! You can do one coat for a simple natural look or do a lot of coats for a dramatic look! Overall this is a great mascara and very inexpensive.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Flurgh, I hate to be the Debbie Downer here but I didn't find myself very much impressed. Did not really give any volume to my skinny long lashes and I ended up returning it the same day I bought it. Back to L'Oreal Voluminous waterproof for me. Every time I try a different brand with flashy volume-building promises, it never lives up to its claims. I also found the formula to be not nearly so lash-friendly lush and smooth as Voluminous.

Compare to L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara in waterproof, the Colossal doesn't smudge as much at the end of the day. It holds my curls so much better. And compare to Maybelline's Define-A-Lash, the Colossal fans out my lashes out more naturally. The big brush is surprisingly not clumpy at all. And it wasn't hard to clean it off afterwards either. But I feel like I still loose my curls through out the day with this mascara.. so i will keep looking for one that keeps my curls all day!
UPDATE: I love this mascara now. It got better over time, idk if that makes any sense... maybe the product thickened? not sure, but it is better than I first got it. My curls last ALL day, even after working out. It gives my lashes more volume than The Falsies. But also more clumpy...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I didn't have much success with this product. It didn't really get any volume from the formula. It held curl for a limited amount of time, but quickly went limp. It lengthen okay, but I get much better length out of other formulas. The waterproof is nice, but really doesn't hold up as some of the other Maybelline mascaras. I also feel it leaves a strange looking result. Not over the top enough to look like a nice dramatic effect no matter how much build, but also to spiky to come off natural. It's alright, but I think I'd by the falsies formula before I'd by this one again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have very short and sparse eyelashes. I bought this mascara because I was a bit too broke to fork out for my normal Lancome stuff. I curled my eyelashes and put one coat of this on and my eye lashes looked really long and my eyes looked huge.

The only downside is the brush takes some getting used to - it's very fat and initially you can get smudges underneath your eyes. I am now used to using the brush and don't smudge it as much! I guess you could wipe the brush a bit or use a smaller brush to apply.

I normally end up with mascara down my face after a long day and this stuff doesn't budge! If you put more than one coat on it is worth using an oiled based makeup remover to get it off.

One coat is great for day wear and two coats for a big eyed evening look.

I won't be going to back to Lancome after this. I'm abit along the lines of cheap isn't so good - but this product has proved me wrong!

Get used the the thick brush and it's a total winner!

Pros:
-holds a curl pretty well
-is very black
-both volumizes and lengthens (just a tiny bit)
-smudges very little under the eyes compared to other mascaras

Cons
-will clump after 2 coats
-not very waterproof -> will come off in the pool but is still waterproof enough to hold a curl and be a pain to remove, even with makeup remover

Despite the negative comments I have added about this mascara, I do believe that it is a good drugstore mascara that will not give you the 9x volume like it claims on the packaging, but will still give quality results.

Popular Mascaras