December 19, 2014 | 891 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal Waterproof

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2010 3:45:00 AM More reviews by enamaya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i love love love love love this mascara. i used to use the CG Lashblast. I have very long and thick lashes that are STICK STRAIGHT. The lashblast made my lashes look too long. I like how this makes my eyelashes look and the way it holds onto my eyelashes.

Also, this was easier to remove compared to the CG Lashblast Volumizing Waterproof :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2010 2:45:00 AM More reviews by omgitstephy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had ran out of my cover girl lash blast so i decided to give its rival a try. i was a committed lash blast fan but i had heard from my cousin that the colossal was amazing as well, so i thought why not give it a try. i got it in waterproof for my short stubby stick straight asian lashes in hopes that it would hold the curl better like other mascaras. i have to say that i fell in love with how this mascara made my lashes just look so volumized and full, and the waterproof verson definitely held the curl. i love the big brush and how it applies its definitely one of my go to mascaras :]

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2010 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Pinkiefoxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently bought this mascara and I fell in love with it instantly. I definitely prefer this over Lash Blast.

Why?:
- More definition (LB just rolls up my lashes together in a huge chunk of black)
- Outstanding volume
- Dramatic length (after 2 coats, LB looks really spidery and my lashes would just go in all different directions. Colossal not only tamed my lashes, but gave them unbelievable length without the mess!)
- No clumps
- Easy application (the wand is actually easier to use than the LB one)
- Holds curl for the whole day.

Cons of this product:
- It smells weird (doesn't bother me because I don't sniff my mascaras LOL)

Final result:
I definitely recommend this to girls who have stick straight, limp lashes that can't hold up thick and heavy mascara. Although the Colossal's formula is rather thick-ish, it doesn't weigh your lashes down. I'm so buying another tube.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2010 6:30:00 PM More reviews by peacelove153

I could do without the huge and annoying neon packaging, BUTTTTTT this is my favorite mascara of ALL TIME. Curls (and holds the curl) my short, straight Asian lashes, yaddah yaddah. But the best part? The fact that you can build and build with this mascara without your lashes clumping/sticking together/turning into spider lashes. The bristles on the wand are so stiff (in a good way) and there are a LOT of them, so your lashes are defined like crazy. Lengthens really well (comparable to define-a-lash, you might say) and that much volume (seriously, it looks like my eyelashes multiplied by 300), I don't think I'll be buying any other mascara! :D

I love it. Definitely replaces my Full 'n Soft/Define-a-lash as my HG mascara! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2010 11:43:00 PM More reviews by multicolouredHearts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have short and stick straight asian lashes, but this mascara held the curl pretty well. No smudging so far, and I also like how my lashes still feel soft. It is a bit of a pain to take off since it's waterproof, but with the right makeup remover, it's so easy. The tube stands out, I like how it's bright yellow. The brush is okay, I don't have a lot problems with it, though it is a bit hard to coat my bottom lashes because it's big. Will purchase again though!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2010 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Freelizzy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this on sale just because I needed some mascara and I didn't care what I picked up. This is fantastic! I love this! It makes my lashes long and thick even though they're blonde. I even went out on a limb and went into the pool with this mascara on. It didn't smudge at all. The lashes did clump a bit, but they didn't smudge! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 9:23:00 AM More reviews by 1017

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 8/1/10: I just upped this one more lippie to 4. It really is a very nice mascara and this waterproof version held up under 90+ degree heat and more sweat & sunscreen than I knew one person could deal with. It did not smear or smudge. The only reason this does not get 5 lippies is because it is mostly VOLUME, and I like length and volume. But this is great for sexy lashes on casual days. ORIGINAL POST: Not a bad mascara...it does give a lot of volume. But I prefer big bright eyes. And this mascara gives me more of a smaller cat eye look. So if that is what you want...try this mascara...lots of volume...cat type eyes. But L'Oreal Voluminous wp mascara or Volume Exact wp mascara both give me big bright eyes...less droop or slant (like I get with the wp Colossal).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 6:30:00 AM More reviews by Indrawn

My upper lashes are quite thin but I have a lot of them, and they are a decent length, but my lower lashes are virtually nonexistant.

* THICKENING & LENGTHENING - AMAZING! I tested this for a week before I wrote my review. My first mascara was Covergirl Lash Blast. It gave me fat, fake lashes but left them hard and crunchy, was extremely clumpy, and very hard to remove. I moved to Maybelline Full n Soft and loved it because it was an easy everyday mascara - decent volume, no clumping (main factor) and left my lashes feeling soft and still touchable.
I eventually got bored with the average, everyday look and wanted my 'real, fake' lashes again so I bought this. No regrets! The difference is REALLY noticeable, promise. Long, thick and full lashes. Already I've had people saying to me "OMG, I'm in love with your lashes! Are they fake?"

* SEPARATION - Not that great. The formula was actually perfect the first time I used it, but afterwards it became very gloopy and thick. Although it didn't glue any lashes together (my lashes stayed individual/separate) I felt there was too much product on each lash, weighing them down. It took a long time to dry - what I do is apply the mascara, use a tissue and rub off the clumps (usually at the outer corners and roots, the brush always picks up too much product even though I scrape it back into the tube before using), finish the rest of my makeup while it dries, and then use a lash comb. You MUST use a lash comb because this is very clumpy.

* CURL HOLDING - Surprisingly okay, even though the formula is so heavy and thick. Works nicely with my Shiseido curler.

* OTHER -
- I prefer this over Covergirl Lash Blast. It's been more than a year since I've used Lash Blast so I can't quite remember what it was like. But I think although both mascaras give dramatic, fake lashes, Colossal seems to give more length (because I remember having to layer Lash Blast with Maybelline Lash Stiletto for length) and leaves my lashes softer. Both are clumpy but Colossal I can put up with, and Lash Blast was quite hard to remove.

* VERDICT - I really do like this and I have already neglected my trusty Full n Soft. Spending the extra 5 minutes in the morning dealing with the clumpiness of this mascara is totally worth the beautiful, glam lashes you get. Although if I am in a rush or need an everyday mascara, I will go back to Full n Soft.

- - -

MAYBELLINE COLOSSAL vs COVERGIRL LASH BLAST
- Thickening/lengthening: Thickening is similar but Colossal is slightly better. Colossal also gives really long lashes while Lash Blast gives no length at all.
- Clumping: Colossal clumps inevitably. Lash Blast starts to clump if you apply more than 1 coat, but still requires a lash comb.
- Other: Colossal leaves your lashes soft, but Lash Blast turns them really crunchy and untouchable. Also Lash Blast is near impossible to remove!
- Price: Both are $18-19 AUD.
- Verdict: Colossal is my HG for thick dramatic lashes, definitely.

- - -
PRICE [3] $19 AUD | PACKAGING [4] | REPURCHASE [yes]

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2010 6:15:00 PM More reviews by 101alexis

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow!! I love this mascara. I wore it on a weekend trip to Niagara Falls, and we impulsively decided to go to the Cave of the Winds, and this mascara DID. NOT. SMEAR. ONE. BIT. Truly waterproof, flakeproof, and volumizing.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2010 5:37:00 PM More reviews by MakeMeUp14326

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

my sister bought this when she needed waterproof mascara, so i decided to follow in her footsteps and buy it, too. well. i used it a grand total of twice. it did not cover my eyelashes evenly, yet at the same time, it made my eyelashes look obnoxiously dramatic. i felt like i was wearing stage makeup. only...not good stage makeup.

i have moved on to bigger and better mascaras, and i will never look back.