October 20, 2014 | 1197 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2009 12:15:00 AM More reviews by amblando

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is great! I was afraid to use it because 1. It's expensive and 2. My skin is really dry and sensitive, and I thought this would irritate my skin too much. Problem one solved by buying it from mexico (also got lumigen for super-cheap there). Problem two solved by using it very, very carefully.
My method:
1. At night, wash w/ cetaphil, moisturize.
2. wait 30 minutes or so (I've waited less time and was fine, but I'm erring waaay on the side of caution with this stuff).
3. Apply .025 very lightly everywhere - including chest - except for the thin-skinned hollow under my eyes. I take care to apply it even more lightly around the crow's feet area and the skin around the top of my cheekbone (the part next to the thin-skinned part). Too many reviews of girls getting eye wrinkles from using too much in the wrong places**.
4. In the morning, again I either scrub my face w/ zia deep pore cleanser, exfoliate lightly with a washcloth, or wash with cetaphil and then use a pumpkin enzyme mask. I choose sometimes based on how my skin feels that particular morning, sometimes at random. :)
5. Physical sunscreen always ...................................................always..........................................................................................................................................................

Flaking was the worst during the first week or two, but even then it really wasn't that bad. As long as I checked the mirror and scrubbed the flakies off/dabbed with (heavy) moisturizer. .........................................................................................................................................................

And the preliminary results (after using it about a month):
1. No more blackheads! I used to get them a bit around my nose and on my chin.
2. I might be imagining it, but my skin tone looks more even.
3. Aaand it could be my recent fastidiousness with oil on my skin + a recent extraction at the esthetician's, but I think this is preventing milia! Oh oh oh happy dance.
And, well, that's all for now, but I'm hoping for more perks in the future (read: disappearing fine lines + youthful skin until I'm 60). Updates forthcoming.
**btw, girls with this problem: I think I've read every single review out there & tons of online derm advise for retin-a, and it seems that according to derms and plastic surgeons, the wrinkling is temporary, and is caused by extreme dryness & trauma. It seems your skin can take a while to heal, but apparently it WILL heal. That said, I haven't seen any reviews from women who had experienced the super-wrinkly effect and then had it go away, so BE CAREFUL. Sorry for yelling. Still, BE CAREFUL with this stuff.
............................................................................................................................................................................................................
6/11 Update: I am now using .05 about 4 nights each week. Man, my skin is so nice. Sometimes I get forgetful and stop using it and them my skin looks kind of bad. In fact, when I don't use it, I think my skin looks worse than it did before I started using it. I do love this stuff. After almost a year, I haven't noticed any difference with my lines, but then, the ones I have a few and very fine and I haven't been paying very close attention.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2009 8:33:00 AM More reviews by planetofapes

Okay, of course like an idiot I wanted superfast results and put too much Retin-A gel 0.01% on my skin. Now I am afraid I have a lot of fine lines where I didn't have before.

This is incredibly distressing for me. However, I now use this every second night, with rose oil or almond oil, and it isn't drying or flaking. However, I still seem to have a lot of fine lines! This is incredibly distressing.

I have heard that this product does work better after a few months and I have only been using it for one month. I also use a very rich sunscreen before makeup (I couldn't do this before as my skin was too oily) and that seems to help a lot.

Make sure you use something with SPF 40 or 50 and waterproof for the extra coverage!!

I will keep trying as I am desperate to get rid of the stupid fine lines on my forehead. I now seem to have them underneath eyes and nose area (due to Retin-A!) but the good news is that my acne breakout which I used to get when I get my period - seems to be really minimal or non-existent. This is great but not sure if it is worth the wrinkles!!

Let's hope that my collagen production increases after a while and fills out these hideous lines!!

Fingers crossed.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2009 11:47:00 PM More reviews by chaovivi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

When i first came to my dermatologish for acne, she perscribed this.
she fore-warned me that it will cause dryness and irritation as i start and that i should only use it every other day so i can get use to it.
YES it is very very drying, i was so irrtiated at looking at my skin in the begining that i gave up on this product for a while.
However i tried almost everything to tame my acne so i thought my face is already bad as it is, so who cares.
Now i've been using it for about 6 months, with the help of Levulan Light from a laser clinic, my skin has healed dramatically in the matter of 3 months.
i'm still using it on ever other night, and have tried to convert to every other night, but it still irritates my skin. i reccomend using a good moisturizer with this.
For my pores and overall apperance of my skin i cant say that seen much yet. but my scars have lighten up alittle bit.

and oh yea, dont get ur eyebrows waxed when using this. because u will end up taking part of ur skin off. It happened to me and i did some research online. Retin-A speeds up the metabolism of your skin so your skin is very thin. Getting anything wax on ur face is not a good idea.

I also read that the long term effect for this product is that it can prevent and reduce wrinkles. so i plan to use this in my routine from now on =D. being only 18 i have plently of time to prevent wrinkles.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Giannina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using retin-a 0.1% cream for about 3 years, it seems to control my break outs, they are not gone, but it helps

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2009 9:25:00 AM More reviews by RedRocket

I have been using retin a gel for over 2 years now to try to combat my adult acne (of course getting closer to 30 Iím hoping it will prevent some wrinkles too). I started with the .01% gel and I buffered it every other night. Over time I slowly worked up to applying it every night un-buffered. I have tried a few times to move up to the .025% gel, but each time my skin would get too dry or irritated. I have realized that less is more when it comes to many skincare products. It took me a long time (maybe 6-8 months) to see significant results, but it was totally worth it. Now my acne is under control and I have noticed significant fading in many of my sunspots.

Pros:
-significant research to back up its safety and effectiveness.
-it does what it is supposed to do
-covered by insurance, for me this is the cheapest, yet most effective part of my routine
-eliminated the need for many other treatment products, has greatly simplified my routine.
Cons:
-can be challenging in the beginning to find the routine that works for you
-sun sensitivity, and thus the irritating process of finding a decent sunscreen

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2009 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I have been using Retin-A for over 8+ years. I developed adult acne that had to do with my wearing heavy makeup on my face all the time. Many days, I would keep my makeup on well over 9 hours on my face. And, I didn't have a set skincare regimen at all at that time. So, I eventually ended up going to see a dermatologist who began treating my skin, and started having me get facial peels (glycolic and salicylic). I was also given at one time given a prescription for an antibiotic pill to take that was supposed to help with clearing up my acne, and after taking it for the first time, it really upset my stomach. So, I decided against ever going that route again. The dermatologist had me using Differin gel, along with using a cleanser that he had recommended for me to use to wash my face with twice a day, and a sunscreen lotion that he had recommended that I use every morning.

Unfortunately, the sunscreen lotion broke me out after first use. So, I stopped using it. And, I would just wash my face twice a day, and then apply the Differing gel nightly. My skin kept getting better and better until finally, my skin had become totally clear.

I eventually stopped going to the dermatologist. However, after a period of time after that i began to then start going through the cycle of breaking out all over again. So, one day, during z visit to my primary care doctor, I discussed with him about my acne, and he recommended my trying Retin-A at that time. I said okay. I started off with the 0.025 Retin-A Gel, which is very drying due to it having alcohol in it. My first couple of months using this product was the worst. I would find myself having to use thick creams on my face to moisturize it with, as it would stay so dry. I had lots of redness, and my face would feel sore. And, I my eye area had become dry and irritated as well. Therefore, i had to keep my eye area well moisturized too.

I then was later prescribed the same strength but in cream version. I used that for a while. Then, I went back to using the gel version again. However, I decided that it would be best to stick with the cream version instead. Even though the gel version is most recommended for use when you have combination/oily skin like mines, it causes a whole lot more dryness and flakiness, and irritation to my face than the cream version does.

I am currently using Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser to cleanse my face with twice a day, I moisturize my face with St. Ives Times Skin Facial Moisturizer, and I apply Retin-A nightly. I am so glad that I decided to stick with using it, even though I went through a very rough time in the beginning.

Even though I have been using Retin-A for several years now, I still do get the dryness, slight irritation, redness. As, the side effects did get better over time, but they don't completely go away. My regimen is very simple, which I've found to work best for my skin. And, it's not a real expensive one either. My facial cleaner and moisturizer both cost less than $10 each, with my Retin-A cream being the most expensive product within my whole regimen. I get the biggest size tube they offer, do that way I have enough product to last me for quite a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2009 4:54:00 AM More reviews by cherrycoke3254

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am 25 and have struggled with acne for over ten years. This product has changed my life! While my skin is skill not perfect (I always have a few small pimples, and breakouts on my chest and back), the rampant cystic acne on my face has completely healed. This was the last stop on the way to Accutane- so I am so lucky I had a new dermatologist that thought to prescribed this.

I urge anyone that has not tried this for acne, to do so. I just got a compliment on my skin from someone I hadn't seen in awhile, and who noticed the change. Let me tell you, it feels amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 11:26:00 PM More reviews by suchetab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am in my early 30's and I figured it was about time for me to start on some sort of anti-aging/preventive treatment. I was looking for something that will give me results....please don't waste my time... products! I read about Retinol and the reviews on MUA were good enough for me to give it a shot. I asked my dr. for the lowest strength cream and she prescribed the HIGHEST strength (0.1%) stuff. I have Asian skin so it could tolerate it, i guess. But the first few weeks my skin was like a torn-up drive-way! Lol!! It was flaky, patchy, red and SO sensitive. Even the make-up brushes irritated me, big time. But all of sudden I woke up one morning and it was like wow! Smooth,soft, clean, clear. I am not going to brag about this too much because I don't want to jinx it...this is the best $10 (if your insurance pays for it) you will ever spend. If you could live thru the disastrous few weeks. The only downfall is...you may start to look forward to rainy, cloudy days as sunscreen is NOT optional when you are using this stuff.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2009 5:57:00 AM More reviews by Catkins

I have been using Retin-A 0.25% perscribed by my doctor for 5 weeks now, I have awful cystic acne on my face. I have tried various products, BHA, AHA, BP etc and nothing has really helped. Retin-A has been a miracle. My skin is not 100% clear but the improvement in just 5 weeks is brilliant. My jawline acne has cleared up, I actually look like I have lost weight as my jawline was so cystic it made me look swollen. My face is smoother and softer. It did make me worse for a couple of weeks and I still have plently of red marks, some scaring and blocked pores, blackheads and small pimples etc but I am happy with the results so far, I am going to carrying on using it and hope for more improvement.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2009 10:58:00 PM More reviews by mollybloom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm 52, and I'd say this is the best thing for aging skin...hands down.

I get my Retin from Skin Actives.com. You can get a test tube of the stuff and make it as strong as you like. The cost is great too. They say it works well with Vit C (they work synergistically) so I also get the Ascorbic Acid from Skin Actives too and make my own. I love that site, it lets me control what I'm actually making and putting on my skin.