September 20, 2014 | 1672 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Giannina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using retin-a 0.1% cream for about 3 years, it seems to control my break outs, they are not gone, but it helps

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2009 9:25:00 AM More reviews by RedRocket

I have been using retin a gel for over 2 years now to try to combat my adult acne (of course getting closer to 30 I’m hoping it will prevent some wrinkles too). I started with the .01% gel and I buffered it every other night. Over time I slowly worked up to applying it every night un-buffered. I have tried a few times to move up to the .025% gel, but each time my skin would get too dry or irritated. I have realized that less is more when it comes to many skincare products. It took me a long time (maybe 6-8 months) to see significant results, but it was totally worth it. Now my acne is under control and I have noticed significant fading in many of my sunspots.

Pros:
-significant research to back up its safety and effectiveness.
-it does what it is supposed to do
-covered by insurance, for me this is the cheapest, yet most effective part of my routine
-eliminated the need for many other treatment products, has greatly simplified my routine.
Cons:
-can be challenging in the beginning to find the routine that works for you
-sun sensitivity, and thus the irritating process of finding a decent sunscreen

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2009 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I have been using Retin-A for over 8+ years. I developed adult acne that had to do with my wearing heavy makeup on my face all the time. Many days, I would keep my makeup on well over 9 hours on my face. And, I didn't have a set skincare regimen at all at that time. So, I eventually ended up going to see a dermatologist who began treating my skin, and started having me get facial peels (glycolic and salicylic). I was also given at one time given a prescription for an antibiotic pill to take that was supposed to help with clearing up my acne, and after taking it for the first time, it really upset my stomach. So, I decided against ever going that route again. The dermatologist had me using Differin gel, along with using a cleanser that he had recommended for me to use to wash my face with twice a day, and a sunscreen lotion that he had recommended that I use every morning.

Unfortunately, the sunscreen lotion broke me out after first use. So, I stopped using it. And, I would just wash my face twice a day, and then apply the Differing gel nightly. My skin kept getting better and better until finally, my skin had become totally clear.

I eventually stopped going to the dermatologist. However, after a period of time after that i began to then start going through the cycle of breaking out all over again. So, one day, during z visit to my primary care doctor, I discussed with him about my acne, and he recommended my trying Retin-A at that time. I said okay. I started off with the 0.025 Retin-A Gel, which is very drying due to it having alcohol in it. My first couple of months using this product was the worst. I would find myself having to use thick creams on my face to moisturize it with, as it would stay so dry. I had lots of redness, and my face would feel sore. And, I my eye area had become dry and irritated as well. Therefore, i had to keep my eye area well moisturized too.

I then was later prescribed the same strength but in cream version. I used that for a while. Then, I went back to using the gel version again. However, I decided that it would be best to stick with the cream version instead. Even though the gel version is most recommended for use when you have combination/oily skin like mines, it causes a whole lot more dryness and flakiness, and irritation to my face than the cream version does.

I am currently using Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser to cleanse my face with twice a day, I moisturize my face with St. Ives Times Skin Facial Moisturizer, and I apply Retin-A nightly. I am so glad that I decided to stick with using it, even though I went through a very rough time in the beginning.

Even though I have been using Retin-A for several years now, I still do get the dryness, slight irritation, redness. As, the side effects did get better over time, but they don't completely go away. My regimen is very simple, which I've found to work best for my skin. And, it's not a real expensive one either. My facial cleaner and moisturizer both cost less than $10 each, with my Retin-A cream being the most expensive product within my whole regimen. I get the biggest size tube they offer, do that way I have enough product to last me for quite a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2009 4:54:00 AM More reviews by cherrycoke3254

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am 25 and have struggled with acne for over ten years. This product has changed my life! While my skin is skill not perfect (I always have a few small pimples, and breakouts on my chest and back), the rampant cystic acne on my face has completely healed. This was the last stop on the way to Accutane- so I am so lucky I had a new dermatologist that thought to prescribed this.

I urge anyone that has not tried this for acne, to do so. I just got a compliment on my skin from someone I hadn't seen in awhile, and who noticed the change. Let me tell you, it feels amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 11:26:00 PM More reviews by suchetab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am in my early 30's and I figured it was about time for me to start on some sort of anti-aging/preventive treatment. I was looking for something that will give me results....please don't waste my time... products! I read about Retinol and the reviews on MUA were good enough for me to give it a shot. I asked my dr. for the lowest strength cream and she prescribed the HIGHEST strength (0.1%) stuff. I have Asian skin so it could tolerate it, i guess. But the first few weeks my skin was like a torn-up drive-way! Lol!! It was flaky, patchy, red and SO sensitive. Even the make-up brushes irritated me, big time. But all of sudden I woke up one morning and it was like wow! Smooth,soft, clean, clear. I am not going to brag about this too much because I don't want to jinx it...this is the best $10 (if your insurance pays for it) you will ever spend. If you could live thru the disastrous few weeks. The only downfall is...you may start to look forward to rainy, cloudy days as sunscreen is NOT optional when you are using this stuff.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2009 5:57:00 AM More reviews by Catkins

I have been using Retin-A 0.25% perscribed by my doctor for 5 weeks now, I have awful cystic acne on my face. I have tried various products, BHA, AHA, BP etc and nothing has really helped. Retin-A has been a miracle. My skin is not 100% clear but the improvement in just 5 weeks is brilliant. My jawline acne has cleared up, I actually look like I have lost weight as my jawline was so cystic it made me look swollen. My face is smoother and softer. It did make me worse for a couple of weeks and I still have plently of red marks, some scaring and blocked pores, blackheads and small pimples etc but I am happy with the results so far, I am going to carrying on using it and hope for more improvement.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2009 10:58:00 PM More reviews by mollybloom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm 52, and I'd say this is the best thing for aging skin...hands down.

I get my Retin from Skin Actives.com. You can get a test tube of the stuff and make it as strong as you like. The cost is great too. They say it works well with Vit C (they work synergistically) so I also get the Ascorbic Acid from Skin Actives too and make my own. I love that site, it lets me control what I'm actually making and putting on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2009 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Austrian_Babe

I got this for the unbelievable price of $4. I live in Europe and my dad is a veterinarian, so I had him order a tube of Retin-A for me through the pharmaceutical company. They donīt ask for prescriptions and we get a very nice discount.

I had ordered the 0.025% strength, but they sent ut 0.05% instead. After my previous use of at-home chemical peels (TCA 12.5%, Glycolic 40%, Lactic 60%) I was still nervous about my skin getting red, dry or flaky. I started off with a sample of green cream level 9 which I experienced no irritatation with. Then I started using the Retin-A, at first every 2-3 days, and after only 10 days Iīm at daily application.
I only had some minor flaking on my chin (seriously, I got the same flaking from my low % glycolic acid serum!) and my skin feels more sensitive....like when I use a powder brush thatīs a bit scruffy. So I`m just a little more careful with my brushes.

After only 2 weeks the hyperpigmentation on my face (from past mild acne) is fading with almost every application! My skin is so smooth and soft, not a hint of dryness. My skintone seems more even, and has a glow to it that I have never seen before. I plan to keep on using this (less frequently then) after I have achieved my desired results. I`m 24 so I want an anti-ageing treatment that actually works!

I understand that my results considering the lack of side effects I experienced are NOT typical. I am beyond surprised about this myself. I hear that the side effects donīt appear right away, but after two weeks and the recent daily application the side effects should have been here already...but theyīre not.

This is the very best $4 I have ever spent! lol

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2009 3:58:00 PM More reviews by kace005

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I will preface by saying I have pretty bad acne. i'm 18 and I have been struggling with it since I was 11. The only thing ever to have managed to keep it at bay is Retin-A. If I were going to a desert island and could only take one thing for my acne it would be this, hands down.

Its not too expensive, especially because I can sometimes get it on prescription. In general the effects are good for acne scars and acne of any type. I would say you need a good thick moisturizer, to keep your skin in balance (I use a generic brand from the pharmacy every two-three days as a mask at night). But unlike other anti-acne products (ie. benzoyl peroxide products) it does not dry out your skin and make it flaky.

I have been using Retin-A for over 4 years off and on and I have discovered the best way is to use a thin layer on your entire acne-prone area. then use a bit more for spot treatment. I would recommend using it only at night (it is quite sensitive to light) and then use a good oil-free moisturizer (i use clinique dramatically different moisturizer).

And as a side note, my mother uses Retin-A on her wrinkles and says it helps.

Hope this helped!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2009 11:08:00 AM More reviews by sadendingsong

Nothing that I have ever bought for 10 dollars works this well. Sure, there is a copay ($15-25) but if you get about three refills you're set for a year. Make sure you get the generic and my review is only for the cream version but I have been using it for almost three months. After a huuuuge breakout from discontinuing Benzaclin and using titanium dioxide products, my skin had so many acne scars. I had never had such bad skin and even after the acne stopped flaring up, I couldn't make the scars go away just from using the aspirin mask anymore. I was prescribed the .025% formula and my skin did not experience much irritation (which is not common, so please be careful and space out the application at first which I did just to be careful). Now, the scars have greatly improved and there is a DEFINITE improvement in some very very mild wrinkling on my forehead. I am only 20, so the wrinkles were not deep, but it reaffirms that this is the only product on the market that will actually smooth wrinkles. I have just recently started using the aspirin mask along with this and the results are even better. I don't recommend people with sensitive skin to use both at the same time.