August 2, 2014 | 1649 users online

Hair - Wen by Chaz Dean - Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2008 11:02:00 AM More reviews by adzemacyn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using WEN Almond Fig for about 6 months now - first started with the infomercial web site and then found out that it was less expensive to order through QVC. I also found out that I only need to purchase the styling cream and use that for both cleaning and conditioning. I have super thick, course, curly blonde hair that I color. I have shoulder-length hair and only need to use 5 pumps and then I use one pump as a leave-in conditioner. I love this way of cleansing your hair. My hair color has lasted longer and my hair is not as dry. I will continue to use as this is the best I have found for my hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2008 1:04:00 PM More reviews by melodious

I'm glad to see that so many of you love this product. I have a 16 oz size of the Cucumber Aloe. If anyone loves this, let's swap!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2008 10:11:00 PM More reviews by Kimh123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Talk about a "LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP"!!
I have been using this cleansing conditioner along with the styling cream and balm since the first of July. I LOVED IT!! I still LOVE it, my hair from the very first use had never looked soooo good! I have always been a total hair diva and my hair (not to be vain) is very shiny and healthy looking all the time. I did not believe it could look any better until I used the Wen products. My hair was very dark brown (colored) and in August had it bleached to a light brown and had very little damage and I attribute my hair being so strong due to my Wen and due to using the deep conditioner that came with the kit. For the first time I can let my hair air dry and it looks like I had it professionally done. I have long hair with wave. I just twirl it my fingers and go! Now here comes the hate part. I started noticing I was loosing my hair. I had a lot of hair in the drain and in my comb while showering. I tried to ignore it. In the past three weeks it started measuring in handfuls of lost hair, my hair now feels A LOT THINNER!! I couldn't ignore this anymore and went back to shampoo and cond. My hair now is awful when I use my normal stuff, but my hair does not fall out after a couple days of my old routine. It looks dry and frizzy and there is no way I could let it air dry.....so then I give into temptation and go back to my Wen. And then my hair starts falling out in handfuls again. I do not have breakage and the hair is falling out with the root. I am thinking maybe my scalp gets to clogged up when I use the Wen?? If anyone has had hair loss from this product please, please, let me know. I am dying to know if I am insane, am I the only one?? I have found one other person who used the fig that had this problem. I am so torn. I so love my Wen and I so hate my Wen at the same time. Back to my normal routine for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2008 7:17:00 PM More reviews by tabercat

I just used Wen for the first time. I got the large bottle of sweet almond mint from the QVC website. My hair is virgin brown and very fine/fragile. I love WEN! My hair has never looked/felt so healthy, even though I just got a horrible haircut. I have used many pricey shampoos, my former favorite being F.F. Protein Rx, but nothing compares to this. I usually have a ton of frizz and obviously damaged hair, but Wen virtually eliminated the fried look after the first shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2008 9:44:00 AM More reviews by ArmyBrat

I had been dying to try this conditioner. I don't like purchasing things through infomercials, because I am a customer service rep. for a large national bank and we get tons of calls about how these companies keep charging a customer's debit card long after they have cancelled w/ the company. So, I decided to log onto MUA and swap for it. My hair is a little past my shoulders, very heavily highlighted blonde, and naturally staight. And although my hair texture isn't course, it's very very THICK. I do have some minor frizz issues.
I watched the mail all week! I could not believe at first how much product the directions called for, but this product is on the thick side. Just as the directions call for, after I slathered my hair in the product, I massaged my scalp "vigorously", and left it on 4-5 minutes. I did have to rinse and rinse since I had to use so much product. As soon as I rinsed, I could tell right away how much softer/silkier my hair had become.
I usually allow my hair to air-dry, and after about 30 minutes, my ends, because they are more porous, had almost dried. I noticed a little frizz on the ends, so I took a couple pumps of the conditioner, rubbed it together w/ my palms and applied it to my ends, and it was like MAGIC. That is one tip I stress when i tell my friend about this product: Take advantage of the versitility of the product and use it as a leave in conditioner & frizz serum, because that can make all the difference, especially if you have over-processed ends that tend to become frizzy.
After I applied the product as a leave in, I pumped out a couple pumps of the WEN Styling Cream and applied it "from mid-shaft on down to the ends" just as the directions say, and I used my hands to scrunch the styling cream in my hair since I like to wear my hair wavy.
I cannot tell you how many compliments I have gotten at work and from family. Even better than compliments are those envious "stares" you get from other women who don't say anything.
The reason I give 4 stars and not five is the price....for what you pay, it doesn't last as long as I wish it did. Of course that has everything to do with the large amount you are directed to use. But overall, it works great and I don't mind spending a bit more money on products that do a beautiful job!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2008 11:41:00 AM More reviews by Denise73

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've only been using Wen for a week, but so far I love it! I have fine, frizzy, color-treated hair, and my hair has been coming out very soft and shiny using Wen. I was worried it would make my hair weighed down and greasy, but so far I've had no problem. It does not lather at all, but rather it feels really creamy, and I love the tingly sensation of the mint on my scalp. To my surprise, Wen really seems to get my hair very clean. I'm able to wash every other day with it and it still looks good on the no-wash day.

One word of caution -- you MUST rinse, rinse, rinse thoroughly. My husband tried it, but was in a rush and did not rinse very well, and his hair looked greasy all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2008 11:09:00 AM More reviews by notagoodidea

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't think I would like this stuff, but I do! Wish it were cheaper. Best to buy it on ebay.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2008 3:31:00 PM More reviews by lizzdd

The product smells good but that doesn't mean my hair smells good afterwards. It actually ended up smelling kind of neutral which is ok. Maybe I just didn't put enough on. The really good thing about this product is that ot leaves my hair incredible soft and unfrizzy, and I've used it about 6 times now with the same results. I just wish the smell of the product remained in my hair. But otherwise delivers as promised.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2008 9:15:00 PM More reviews by bergtoldhsd9

I could not wait for this product to arrive. It took forever. I wondered if it was comming. Well it came. The first time was amazing. My hair is really oily. I never thought this would clean. It has no bubbles. I put it on and it felt great. I love the concept of not using shampoo, and it seemed nice to only apply one product. It detangled my hair instantly. The smell was nice, texture was good to. My hair was super super soft. I loved it. Well as I used it, my hair became wild. It just frizzed out of control. It was not as soft and just limp. I had a hard time styling it. I wish my initial result would have been my end result. I will have to keep looking for that miracle hair prduct

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2008 9:21:00 PM More reviews by KSAP

I'll start by saying that I read EVERY SINGLE review (which I never do...first two pages max) on MUA before deciding to try this product. There seems to be a love it or hate it feeling among MUAers, with very little middle ground. My biggest fear in trying Wen was the hair loss some MUAers experienced. Not wanting to take any chances, and not having any interest in the other products sold as part of the infomercial, I swapped, with a most wonderful MUAer, for this product. I have to say that, so far, I REALLY LIKE it. Here are the pros and cons, as I have experienced so far:

Pros:

1. It does work, when used as directed. I follow the instructions to the letter (with the exception of the 500 pumps I am supposed to use). I drench my hair, rub five to ten pumps (my hair is at my armpits) in the palms of my hands and add to my hair, starting at the scalp. Massage the product into my scalp, as if I were shampooing. Flip my head over and comb through completely. Clip my hair up and continue with my shower (approximately five minutes). Then rinse...completely. I actually count to 120 while rinsing. While my hair is still soaking wet, I add another 1 1/2 pumps and comb through to evenly distribute. The first time I used it, I let my hair dry in a towel for a bit then went to bed and let my hair air dry as I slept. I have CRAZY naturally curly hair and when I sleep on it wet, I wake up looking like the bride of Frankenstein. With Wen, that did not happen. I would even have been seen in public the way it looked when I awoke; it was clean, soft and manageable. I dried it straight (the way I normally wear it) and was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out...clean, soft, shiny, manageable and full of body.

2. It is multi-purpose...shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, deep conditioner, shave cream, moisturizer...and seems to work well for each use.

3. It works well when I wear my hair curly or straight.

4. It smells pleasant, without being cloying.

5. It comes in a plastic bottle with a pump, so it's easy to keep in the shower and dispense.

6. I lose less hair with Wen than with conventional shampoo and conditioner.

7. It...shockingly...has not left my hair greasy.

Cons:

1. Melissa Gilbert...she annoys me. Since she annoys me, I have a problem spending my hard-earned $ on anything she endorses. Her endorsement won't stop me from purchasing Wen (because I really like it), but she still annoys me.

2. Likewise, I have a problem with any company that instructs you to use an obscenely unnecessary amount of product, forcing users to repurchase more frequently than necessary.

3. It's not readily available at my local drugstore/department store/salon. I hate paying for shipping on products...such a waste!!

4. I have read, not yet experienced, the problem with the pump not reaching the bottom of the bottle, making it difficult to properly measure the amount being used as the bottle empties. Wen is very thick so there might also be a problem with shaking it out. I can foresee the pump thing becoming an issue. UPDATE: This is a BIG problem! I now have approximately 1/4 of a 16 oz. bottle remaining and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get out... it won't pump because the straw doesn't reach the product and, because the product is so thick, knocking it out forces large clumps out so you have to be very careful or much of what comes out could be wasted.

5. It doesn't seem to keep my hair looking/feeling cleaner any longer (as promised) than when I use conventional shampoo and conditioner. I usually wash every-other day, with some exceptions, and don't feel I could go any longer using Wen. I only just started using Wen so if this changes, I will be sure to amend my review.

Okay, that's it. I have not used Wen for very long, so should the product start to build up and cause a grease slick or I find I can go several days without washing my hair, I will update this review. Based on my experience thus far I will purchase Wen; although, I want to try the Cucumber Aloe next...unless I find another wonderful MUAer who wants to swap first;)

UPDATE: Ironically, the thing I like most about this product is the thing that scared me most about it before trying it. I was SCARED to death, based on some of the reviews here, that I was going to lose gobs of hair. Using Wen I actually lose significantly less...yay!! I have also noticed that my hair seems more weighed down (not greasy or oily) just lacking volume, after using Wen for several weeks. To combat this problem, I will probably use a clarifying shampoo once a week to make sure I'm not getting any build-up. Otherwise, still REALLY like Wen!

ANOTHER UPDATE: As I reach the bottom of my bottle of Wen, I stressed about paying $28 + shipping for a new one... ugh! That's when it happened! I stumbled across the chatter about Hair One (found at Sally Beauty Supply). For almost a third the cost of Wen (and no shipping), I have found my Wen substitute... check it out!

27 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No