April 19, 2014 | 1913 users online

Powder - Maybelline - PureStay Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2004 10:29:00 AM More reviews by bingky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this product!

I've bought this three times, and am now glad that they've released refills for the compacts (obviously I have three so far!). It actually does stay on for 8 hours--I use it in the morning with a wet sponge, and after lunch the look is still very fresh. By 5pm it's a bit faded, but still looks well. I can touch up using a dry sponge without my face getting cakey.

Perfect base for powder blushes. If I want to use gel blushes, I put that on first then PureStay with a wet sponge over. Works like a charm! I'm asian, MMM, and the yellow undertones of the Sand shade works perfectly with my skin. I hope they never discontinue this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2004 6:33:00 PM More reviews by katykatt

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Got this 40% off on sale and glad I did...I wanted to like it because the color is great for me, but I find that it settles into expression lines throughout the day. Doesn't hold the shine back on me better than anything else either.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2004 3:22:00 PM More reviews by blusandie

My absolute fave face powder ever invented!! Stays on great, Very good coverage, Sometimes I don't even wear foundation with it!! I have it in the lightest and it is a perfect color for me!! Alway go back to this powder because it is the best!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2004 10:45:00 AM More reviews by cshell14867

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this powder foundation! I use it to set my liquid foundation. It doesn't cake and covers flaws very well. I use Nude and it matches perfectly. I Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2004 8:27:00 PM More reviews by snuffles135

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I picked this up at Rite-aid while it was on 40% off sale a year ago and felt in love with it since. Maybelline purestay powder left a matte, smooth, radiance finish. Usually, I don't even need a touch up and it lasts all day. The color as you probably know already is yellow-based and is very natural looking, it is not too chalky or too dark. The reason that I love this powder so much is it doesn't cause me to break out since it doesn't clog pores ond cosmetologist tested. So as long as Maybelline continue this product, I'll be a faithful customer.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2004 12:30:00 AM More reviews by carebear07

Great Product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2004 8:34:00 PM More reviews by smiles4c

I really like this foundation - it has great coverage and doesn't cake up like a lot of powder foundations that I've tried...and that's really important to me, because I'm super-picky about foundation. This also doesn't break me out, which is also a big rarity for me, since lots of foundations do. Does it "stay" all day? About as good as anything else does on my combo skin, no better no worse. I don't really mind, since it's a powder and easy to carry along and touch up. Now, the bad points (few as it has): The packaging is large, ugly, and not very convenient to carry in my purse. It looks cheap, mostly b/c it's silver plastic. I also don't think it's very convenient that the powder is in a square pan, since it's harder to get out than a round pan. And for having such a huge frickin' case, the mirror sure isn't very generous (because the lid is curved). Beyond the packaging, the only real complaint I have is the same one I have of all Maybelline foundations - the shade range isn't so great. I'm an NC20, and I chose Ivory, the lightest shade. It's a little pink on me, but it's not noticable after it's been on my face for an hour or so. I just wish they had more shades to choose from - I know this is the only one that would have been pale enough for me. But all in all, this is a pretty great foundation - the best powder foundation that I've tried, and I'll keep using it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2004 12:14:00 PM More reviews by abbey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The thing that drew me to this powder was that it has an SPF of 15. I dont like to wear foundation and I find that wearing a seperate moisturizer makes powder change colors and get slimy.

This powder is priced right, has great coverage and moderate staying power. However, it kinda of sits on my skin so when you look closely its verrrry obvious that I'm wearing makeup and really looks like I'm wearing a lot more than I am. Also, I dont have very sensitive skin and I'm not prone to breakouts but I think this powder might be aggrivating my skin (whether creating new breakouts or irritating existing ones).

Either way, I don't hate this powder, but I probably wont buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2004 8:57:00 AM More reviews by prettyrain

It contradicts it's name! Doesn't stay up to 8 hours! It cakes easily too, especially around the oily parts of your face. Does not cover blemishes well. The price is very affordable,though but once you drop the package the foundation breaks easily.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2004 7:22:00 PM More reviews by maggiegault

I'll start with what I like about this foundation.

I have yellow undertones to my skin, so the fact that the entire line has a yellowish cast to it means that I can find a perfect color match. I use Nude, and it truly is a perfect match.

This foundation is incredibly easy to use. I can get a fairly flawless face in a very short amount of time. The convenience is great when I am in a hurry and am more interested in looking presentable than pretty! Just a couple of swipes, some blush, some eyebrow pencil and mascara, and I'm out the door. PureStay is terrific in this role.

The price is decent for what you get; I would recommend buying it at Walmart, as it is cheaper there than anywhere else. (Ulta also has good Maybelline foundation sales from time to time). I usually pay around $7.00 per compact and I get about two months' use from each compact.

The coverage, in my opinion, is one of the best things about PureStay. That is to say, it is excellent; it covers the flaws and imperfections without looking like a mask. I would say that PureStay is even superior to StudioFix for coverage. PureStay covers while looking more natural.

Okay, now for the problems I have with PureStay.

I don't know why it is, but my face gets really greasy when I use PureStay. It's okay for the first six hours or so, but then my face just becomes an oil slick. I do have combination skin, but I have never had this trouble with any other foundation. When I get oily, the shade becomes very orange. I can battle it with loose powder on a fluffy brush, but it annoys me.

I also hate the packaging of this product. It's ugly, it's cumbersome, and I think it's difficult to use at times, especially when you are down to the last bits in the compact. The shallow square pan doesn't work very well. I do use the sponge that is provided, but I have heard that others hate this sponge. Maybelline would do well to reconsider its packaging of this product.

Would I buy PureStay again? Absolutely...I just bought a new compact last night. Its pros outweigh its cons, but beware of the cons, because they are significant ones. Still, I would recommend this foundation. Its convenience, color, and coverage cannot be beat. Edited to add: I have stopped using this product, and have returned to the cult of StudioFix. I got tired of the oiliness and the changing color. I would rather spend $25 on a cake of SF that will last, than $7 on PureStay compacts that won't.