Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation

4.1

WATER, DIMETHICONE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, SODIUM CHLORIDE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ALCOHOL DENAT, FRAGRANCE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, PANTHENOL, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, SILICA, GLYCERIN, PYRUS MALUS (APPLE) FRUIT EXTRACT, SODIUM HYALURONATE, CUCUMIS MELO (MELON) FRUIT EXTRACT, PRUNUS ARMENIACA (APRICOT) FRUIT EXTRACT, POTASSIUM SORBATE, SODIUM BENZOATE, BENZOIC ACID, PANTOLACTONE, SORBIC ACID

on 4/5/2013 7:50:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

Glad that this is a HG foundation for so many of you! This foundation was horrible on my skin - granted I am oily so maybe that was it? Not sure but it slid off my face and made me break out like crazy (which doesn't happen that often). Couldn't find a good colour match either but that's nothing new for me and I did not consider that in my rating. I don't like to write negative reviews but given that SO many people have given it so many lippies, I thought it would be good to add some balance. I'm not saying don't try it, but just be cautious.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Healthy Mix is Bourjois' "first radiance boosting foundation with fruit derived ingredients for a flawless, glowing complexion for up to 16 hours". This foundation contains good stuff like apricot, melon, apple, and ginger extracts. Bourjois boasts that this foundation has an "exquisite, melting formula that blends onto the skin for a flawless yet natural finish" that's good for your skin because it'll provide "8 hours of moisture". This oil free foundation was dermatologist tested for high tolerance. I don't believe that this foundation contains any SPF. Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation is available in three to six shades, depending on where you live. I have shade 51, Vanilla Clair, or Light Vanilla, which is the lightest of the six. I received this foundation as a gift. This foundation contains the standard 1fl oz (30 ml) and retails for $34AUD. Bourjois claims to not test on animals. This foundation was made in France. Bourjois products are available at drugstores and major retailers around the world, except here in the US. If you're lemming for Bourjois products, and don't have a friend overseas to swap with, you can order them through Asos, though the selection is somewhat limited.
The Healthy Mix foundation comes in a clear plastic bottle with black pump. One side of the bottle is in English, the other in French. Both sides feature the Bourjois logo and product name, along with a few claims. Thes ide of the bottle goes on to list a few more claims, as well as the ingredients. The shade number can be found on the top of the cap. Pop the cap off and you'll reveal a pump. I'm not in love with this pump, it spurts out a little bit product at a time, instead of a nice, even amount. I guess a sucky pump is better than no pump at all though.
Something about the texture of Bourjois' Healthy Mix Foundation seems a little off to me. When pumped out onto the skin, it looks and feels like any other liquid foundation, but as you begin to work with it, it seems to thicken up a little. Weird! I've heard many people say that MAC's Face&Body Foundation performs in a similar way, rubbing it in seems to somehow increase the coverage. At first, I didn't like this foundation at all, it was blotchy and provided very sheer, uneven coverage, it just didn't do anything for me. Turns out, it wasn't the formula that was bad, it was my application method. I was using my Avon Precision Grip Blender to apply Healthy Mix, and it seems like this foundation really doesn't agree with a dampened sponge. Healthy Mix works best when worked slowly into the skin with fingers, the natural warmth of your fingers will help melt this foundation into the skin.
Bourjois claims that Healthy Mix will give a semi-matte finish with "perfect" coverage. I'm not clear on what "perfect" coverage means. Do they mean full coverage? If so, I disagree. Bourjois Healthy Mix gives a medium coverage. This foundation almost completely masks redness while covering small blemishes, freckles, and acne scars, but larger imperfections and dark circles will still need concealer. Semi-matte is a good description for the first half of the day, but after five or so hours, Healthy Mix starts to break down and little and gets more 'luminous'. I don't have oily skin, so if this foundation breaks down on me after five or six hours, I highly doubt that it'll last sixteen hours like Bourjois claims. I think Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation is best suited for normal skin. As I previously mentioned, it doesn't stand up well to even a little bit of oil, but it also clings to any dry patch it can find. On normal skin, this foundation has a very natural, flattering, skin-like look.
The entire shade range for Bourjois Healthy Mix is in the light to medium range, so it's not very inclusive. All of the shades are also strongly yellow based. Shade 51, Vanilla Clair/Light Vanilla isn't too far off from my body's skin tone, but it's about a shade too dark for my face. I can get away with this shade if I blend it down my neck. While the shade isn't too far off, I feel like the strong yellow tone is very noticeable and unflattering, it really throws off the look of this foundation. To combat the undertone issues, I always set this foundation with ELF's Cool Tone Correcting Powder to balance the color.
Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation is good, but I definitely have foundations I prefer over this one. The texture is a little bit strange, and application is a little bit finicky. Healthy Mix performs best when applied with fingers. Bourjois Healthy Mix gives medium coverage with a natural finish, which is ideal in my opinion. Unfortunately Healthy Mix will only work for a small portion of people. The shade selection is minimal, only light to slightly tan skin tones are represented. The formula only cooperates with normal skin as well. I wouldn't repurchase Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation, but I would recommend it if you have the right skin tone and type. I'm hoping to try the Healthy Mix Serum Foundation next.

on 4/3/2013 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have had this for nearly a year and I only have a quarter of it left... That is how much I love it. It didn't cling to my dry skin in the harsh Irish winter and didn't make my skin look oily for my holidays in Turkey. It gives a medium coverage but is very buildable and doesn't look powdery. It is the perfect skin color for my skin with the shade 55. For €14.99 I don't see why you wouldn't buy it.

on 4/1/2013 6:38:00 PM

Fantastic foundation. Full coverage with a dewy finish. As the label states, it makes my skin look nice and 'healthy'. As a flight attendant, I need my makeup to stay put, look basically perfect, provide full coverage, and not clump up in certain areas like other foundations do. I have tried everything from Maybelline to Dior and this foundation is the best.

This foundation works well with or without a moisturiser. As it has a dewy finish, I would suggest using a good pressed powder as a finish, such as M.A.C. Powder will need to be reapplied to rid of any shiny areas.

The only issue I have with this foundation is that the pump bottle is sometimes difficult to pump and nothing comes out, and that I finish up the product sooner than most because I can't get the rest of it out of the bottle! It's not as cheap as other Priceline/Supermarket foundations but it is worth it. You may just go through it more quickly than others.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Whoa this is my go-to foundation for everything! It is absolutely fantastic! I've tried so many foundations ranging from high brands to drugstore (Chanel, Bobbi Brown, Revlon etc) but I didn't have any luck with them. Finally the search for the perfect foundation is over. I use a stippling brush to stipple this all over my face and then buff it. This foundation literally glides on like a dream. It is extremely buildable and blendable. I've also realized I don't have to apply concealer when I use this as this covers up my dark circles as well. I have very dry and sensitive skin (eczema) but this foundation doesn't irritate me despite having a slight lovely smell to it. I love the packaging of the product too. It comes in a plastic bottle with a pump. Thus, I find it really hygienic and lightweight. It also has this block thing in the bottle which rises up and pushes up the remaining foundation as you use up the foundation and this ensures that no product will go wasted. I got this off echemist.co.uk for around 11 USD which I thought was really cheap for such an amazing product. Will definitely repurchase.

Amazing

on 3/31/2013 3:46:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The Healthy Mix Foundation is the only one I've tried from the Bourjois range so far, and I love it! It's a lovely consistency which dries to a really nice and natural satin/dewy finish (which can be easily mattified with a powder).

The packaging is a definite highlight, as the plastic (not glass, yay!) bottle comes with a pump which instead of drawing the foundation up with a pipe, pushes the entire volume of the foundation upwards so you never waste any product in the bottle.

The staying power, although it says 16 hours, does not last that long at all, and this is really it's one drawback. With a primer, powder, and setting spray over the top of it, it can hold out the whole day (let's say 7-8 hours), but without a primer and spray, it does tend to slide off a little as the day goes by. It's not a full coverage to begin with, and when it slides off it leaves the face looking even more sheer.

Overall, I love this foundation, it's the perfect colour, sheerness, and finish for me, but I do wish it lasted a little longer. Still a repurchase :)

on 3/30/2013 6:16:00 PM

I have bought this foundation back in August 2012 and I've been using it on and off for about 6 months now. It's a great foundation - almost could not believe that it was drugstore with the exception of the strong fruity smell. It's quite liquid and luminous but dries but to a natural luminous semi-matte on the medium side of coverage for sure. I would not say it's dewy - the Healthy Mix serum is dewy, YSL TTE is dewy, this is luminous but still soft and semi-matte. It dries and sets fairly quickly and when it sets, it does not budge - I had some creasing around the eye and when back to blend out after 5-10 min and it would not move. With the matte finish, it can look a little dry or cling to dry spots if you're not careful.

52 is about NC20/25
53 is a true NC30

When I was using this in August when I'm NC25/30, 52 was definitely a shade too light for my skin tone and 53 was a shade too dark. Mixing the two was a perfect mix. The shade 52 also made a great mixer for shades of foundation in other brands that were slightly too dark. I love the finish of this foundation and the longevity as well - really didn't expect it to hold up as well to my 9 hour workdays as it did.

EDIT (03/30/13): This shade in 52 is pretty much spot on for my paler winter/spring skin, if a little too yellow for my skin. Maybe a hint too pale. Love mixing it in equal parts with the Ellis Faas foundation for more neutrality, but even used alone, it delivers.

RE-EDIT (08/01/13): I picked up another bottle of 52 early since I've heard that the formula has changed. Haven't tried that formula yet but I'll probably get around to it.

Bottom line: A great drugstore foundation that performs like a high-end one. Delivers a medium luminous soft finish with yellow undertones that has decent lasting power. Will repurchase. If you're in the US like me, you can get this foundation through ASOS or eChemist.

on 3/27/2013 8:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

To be honest, I dint know much about Bourjois until recently when i was checking out foundation reviews on YouTube. I did see it over the counters in drug stores but somehow was always either attracted to High End products like Clarins or drug store products like Loreal / Revlon. I had seen so many good reviews about this product that some have actually even used up 4 tubes of this product !! So I thought MUST check it out. I am not a foundation person. I somehow cant stand it, either i don't know how to apply it or make it last all day or I just get the wrong shade.. don't know !! BUT this foundation has really changed my perception about foundations. I really love this product its a pity that I got myself a no 53 and that too is a bit too light for me, however if you work it out and add in your pressed powder its kinda ok for me for the day time. Should have been one shade darker and it would have been my foundation forever. Not that I will not repurchase it, I definitely will. It smells good, somehow I feel it smells a little like Channel's Precision tinted moisturizer, but it could be because of the flowery/fruity smell. It smells great thought but if your a person who cant stand smells in your skin care then you might have to think about it. It doesn't stay long though just till you apply it on your face. I would definitely recommend it to anyone irrespective of your skin type mine is a combination to dry skin but I definitely find that I need to powder it down during the day as it might get a bit shiny (and also the color is a tad bit light for me) but during the night/ evenings I can use it without any powder and I look fresh and radiant. A must try.

on 3/26/2013 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is a good high street medium coverage foundation. As I have oily skin, I wasn't sure I would like the finish or if it would last on my skin but I was looking for a dewy foundation. I use a buffing brush and setting powder with this foundation and this really makes a difference to the finish - long wearing and non greasy but slightly dewy with no cakeyness. When buffed into the skin I think it looks really natural and brightening, great for everyday!