August 22, 2014 | 946 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by gunkfury

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Mary-Lou Manizer is a gorgeous champagne shade that, when applied, does not look ashy on the skin- even skin that's darker. It has a smooth, buttery consistency that makes it glide on without much work. It comes in a large compact containing 8.5 grams of product, which is a HUGE amount of highlighter! Inside is a very convenient large mirror, which I like because other products by theBalm come with really teeny, inaccurate mirrors.

My main problem with this is the staying power. I find that it disappears on me within an hour or two. Fortunately, it does not leave behind unattractive chunks of glitter on my face. When it disappears, it disappears entirely. This is a little annoying because more than having to reapply (which is normal for makeup wearers), I just don't like lugging around the large compact, which, by the way, is not that sturdy so I'm also constantly afraid of breaking it.

I prefer my highlighters to be more pearly or glossy than shimmery, and this, when applied with the wrong brush, is definitely shimmery. Fallout is also a problem if you use this with a brush that isn't dense enough. I apply this with a small, oval-shaped brush that's soft but not fluffy, and this gives me a much better result. This method concentrates the product on a smaller surface and applies the shimmers closer together, which is why you get a pearlier effect.

For the amount of product you get, this is definitely a good deal. It IS worth looking into and checking out, especially if you're just getting into highlighters. It does look gorgeous when applied, and can successfully produce that non-disco, pearly effect I love so much. I just think that there are several aspects in which this product can be improved- most significantly with the staying power.

Though I love most of the products by theBalm, I just can't imagine myself repurchasing this even if I used up all 8.5 grams of it.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by kris1818

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was a little hesitant about buying this with it's $30 Canadian price. I even bought it and then considered returning it after feeling guilty for paying that much for an illuminizer that I thought I'd never use. I am so glad I didn't. I use this for everything! Eyeshadow, illumizer (just need to blend a bit for this), highlight, even tap some on my lips for a little shine. It's so silky and smooth and the most beautiful neutral champaign colour. I reach for this everyday and with so much product I doubt I'll ever run out but if I do, I'd re-buy in a heart beat.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Absolutelee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love my Mary-Lou Manizer but I agree it needs heavier packaging I dropped it one time and Its pretty much powder now. I recommend you all try using it as a eyeshadow, it looks very pretty and really opens up my eyes. Its a bit too glittery for every day on my cheeks but at night its super fun.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2011 12:45:00 PM More reviews by binkari

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This highlighter is an ultra-flattering champagne color, and you get TONS of it! A single pan clocks in at 8.5g for ~$24, whereas a full-sized NARS blush runs you ~$27 for 4.8g. One pan will probably last me for years, even with daily use.

As for the product itself: it's a finely-milled, translucent muted golden sheen with bits of micro-glitter thrown in. With a light hand, it gives my parched skin a look of dewiness and luminosity. It works great with my NC25-complexion, but the color is so neutral and sheer, I imagine it can work well on practically any skintone.

Mary-Lou Manizer is the one product I use everyday when I go out: I apply a little to the tops of my cheeks with a fan brush to get a nice, subtle glow. I've found that you really need a light hand with this product, otherwise the bigger bits of glitter will be too obvious, especially during the day. You can always ramp it up for a night out, though! It stays on all day, too; I wear it for 8-10 hours a day and almost never need a touch-up except during exceptionally bad weather.

All in all, great product, great value. If you don't already have a highlighter, you really can't go wrong with this one!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2011 12:03:00 PM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I wanted to love this product due not only to the great reviews but because I love theBalm. But I hated this. Too too pigmented, too glittery even with a light hand. Maybe I'm just a clutz who doesn't know how to properly apply this, but it was like a glitter bomb had exploded on my face. Feh.

However, I gave it to my sister-in-law who really likes it. Go figure, am glad it wasn't a total waste of money.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2011 5:44:00 PM More reviews by deangelisv404

Awesome highlighter! Love this product! Gives a beautiful glow to the cheeks, and I also use it to highlight my brow bone and the inner corners of my eyes. Cute packaging too! Will definitely repurchase, but with how much product you get, it will be a while before I will have to!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 6:40:00 PM More reviews by liketulips

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My secret to a radiant complexion :)

My only complaint would be the packaging. Wish it was more sturdy. I dropped it my accident and it crumbled.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2011 8:21:00 AM More reviews by olgaisme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Mary-Lou Manizer was quite the surprise for me. It's very flattering and a little goes a long way. Its quality is as good as it's gonna get for highlighters, but I don't think that it would look as nice as it does on fair or medium toned skin as it would on darker skin. It's very easy to put too much of this product especially since highlighting can be addictive but once you've mastered how to apply it, the results will be magical. Will be repurchasing if I ever hit pan, which I highly doubt will happen soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2010 4:51:00 AM More reviews by xxlilyxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Mary-Lou Manizer is a wonderful highlighter and also eyeshadow. I gave the price a rating of 3, because although the size of the product is massive, I bought it half price. The price I paid ($15AUD) would rate a 2, whereas it's original price ($30AUD) would rate a 3.

The packaging is cute, functional, quality and generous. It has a mirror on the inside which is endlessly useful, and although this has been opened and closed many times, the hinge is still going strong.

I would definitely buy this again, although I don't think I will ever run out of it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2010 10:22:00 PM More reviews by semolinapilchard

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

beautiful. i'm very into highlighters, both of the liquid and powder variety, and this one is particularly soft and well-pigmented. a nice neutral champ without leaning too heavily into gold territory, yet still imparts a flattering warmth. (i am quite pale and if i apply it heavily, it can look a tad darker than my skintone but with normal application, this wouldn't happen and it is easily blended out either way). no large sparkle particles. a nice fine sheen which can easily achieve a high shine. in that respect, it doubles well as a shadow/lower inner lid highlight.

i'd given a couple other ds powders a go before this- namely the elf gotta glow and revlon brighten, both of which are hard and have a rather inelegant application/feel. they were also chalkier/cooler and not nearly as flattering. thebalm got it right with this product; the quality is lovely.