October 24, 2014 | 1629 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by sdeyerling

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best. Highlighter. Ever. I am NC35 with normal skin, and I am a total highlighter wh0re. This is my favorite highlighter ever. When you look at the size, its dirt cheap and has a cute little case. The texture is velvety smooth and blends into your skin perfectly for a natural highlight. It is a neutral-warm gold but I think would flatter every skin tone and color. I think this beats every MAC MSF (I've got almost all of them!) and it is much better then Dior Amber Diamond. I definitely recommend buying this, thebalm is a seriously underrated brand and the texture is out of this world!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2011 9:27:00 AM More reviews by Yrie

I love this highlighter!

- definitely heavy-duty, so strong!
- lovely champagne colour
- gives a great glow, lovely shimmer but not too sparkly/glittery
- looks amazing on cheekbones, browbones, collar bones, inner corners and cupid's bow
- amazing packiging in retro-style, with mirror
- last absolute AGES! Will probably never have to repurchase - will do though, if I ever run out (which is highly unlikely)
- should be used with a light hand for natural look, can be applied more heavily for a dramatic evening look
- bit expensive (got it on offer), but will last you forever, so price per use is minute

Awesome!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2011 7:48:00 PM More reviews by bzz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is the only highlighter I have found that is not too glittery or too dark/ bright for my fair skin. It's a light champagne frost color that is a very fine powder. It adds a nice warm glowy highlight that is not too shiny either.. no high beam cheekbones here. It goes with any color of blush or eyeshadow. I have been using this almost daily for about 6 months and still have not put a dent in it. A little does go a long way. The compact has a large mirror...the whole thing is made of metal and a bit heavy, which does keep me from carrying it around.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2011 11:42:00 AM More reviews by harls321

I received this in the Balmbini palette and love it! Since it is so finely milled it gives a very natural on the skin.....not at all like a powder. I have oily skin and this gives me that glow without looking like a grease ball.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 1:15:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

They were sold out of this at the store near me that carries The Balm. I'd been waiting weeks for it to come in and, the other day, they had finally restocked.

I love this highlighter. I much prefer it to cream or liquid formulations, which can be tricky and messy to apply if you want just a small amount in a small area (at least, this is what I've found). I find I have somewhat more control with a powder highlighter, most of the time. Mary-Lou Manizer is a powder but such a creamy-soft powder that it almost functions as a cream so it's easy to apply but looks dewy and glowing, rather than chunky and garish.

Mary-Lou Manizer is a lovely beigey champagne shade and it REALLY highlights! I love that it can also be used as an eye shadow, and I dotted a bit in the middle of my lower lip last night for a very pretty pout. So in addition to being very pretty, it is very versatile as well. I quite like the packaging - the compact has a nice, large mirror - and you get such a LOT of product for the money, so it is very good value as well as being very pretty and versatile.

Just for the heck of it, I dusted some lightly all over my face to see how it would look before taking my makeup off last night and even all over the face (very lightly), it really looked nice (though I imagine in bright daylight it might look a bit too overdone for daytime). All in all, this is a fantastic product. I am so impressed with the products I've got so far from this company (2 eyeshadows, a blush and this highlighter).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2011 7:55:00 PM More reviews by thinkpink241

I dont think I will ever finish this product.. it is HUGE!!! I really like this, gives a nice subtle shimeer to my cheek bones...
LOVE LOVE LOVEEEE

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by gunkfury

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Mary-Lou Manizer is a gorgeous champagne shade that, when applied, does not look ashy on the skin- even skin that's darker. It has a smooth, buttery consistency that makes it glide on without much work. It comes in a large compact containing 8.5 grams of product, which is a HUGE amount of highlighter! Inside is a very convenient large mirror, which I like because other products by theBalm come with really teeny, inaccurate mirrors.

My main problem with this is the staying power. I find that it disappears on me within an hour or two. Fortunately, it does not leave behind unattractive chunks of glitter on my face. When it disappears, it disappears entirely. This is a little annoying because more than having to reapply (which is normal for makeup wearers), I just don't like lugging around the large compact, which, by the way, is not that sturdy so I'm also constantly afraid of breaking it.

I prefer my highlighters to be more pearly or glossy than shimmery, and this, when applied with the wrong brush, is definitely shimmery. Fallout is also a problem if you use this with a brush that isn't dense enough. I apply this with a small, oval-shaped brush that's soft but not fluffy, and this gives me a much better result. This method concentrates the product on a smaller surface and applies the shimmers closer together, which is why you get a pearlier effect.

For the amount of product you get, this is definitely a good deal. It IS worth looking into and checking out, especially if you're just getting into highlighters. It does look gorgeous when applied, and can successfully produce that non-disco, pearly effect I love so much. I just think that there are several aspects in which this product can be improved- most significantly with the staying power.

Though I love most of the products by theBalm, I just can't imagine myself repurchasing this even if I used up all 8.5 grams of it.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by kris1818

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was a little hesitant about buying this with it's $30 Canadian price. I even bought it and then considered returning it after feeling guilty for paying that much for an illuminizer that I thought I'd never use. I am so glad I didn't. I use this for everything! Eyeshadow, illumizer (just need to blend a bit for this), highlight, even tap some on my lips for a little shine. It's so silky and smooth and the most beautiful neutral champaign colour. I reach for this everyday and with so much product I doubt I'll ever run out but if I do, I'd re-buy in a heart beat.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Absolutelee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love my Mary-Lou Manizer but I agree it needs heavier packaging I dropped it one time and Its pretty much powder now. I recommend you all try using it as a eyeshadow, it looks very pretty and really opens up my eyes. Its a bit too glittery for every day on my cheeks but at night its super fun.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2011 12:45:00 PM More reviews by binkari

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This highlighter is an ultra-flattering champagne color, and you get TONS of it! A single pan clocks in at 8.5g for ~$24, whereas a full-sized NARS blush runs you ~$27 for 4.8g. One pan will probably last me for years, even with daily use.

As for the product itself: it's a finely-milled, translucent muted golden sheen with bits of micro-glitter thrown in. With a light hand, it gives my parched skin a look of dewiness and luminosity. It works great with my NC25-complexion, but the color is so neutral and sheer, I imagine it can work well on practically any skintone.

Mary-Lou Manizer is the one product I use everyday when I go out: I apply a little to the tops of my cheeks with a fan brush to get a nice, subtle glow. I've found that you really need a light hand with this product, otherwise the bigger bits of glitter will be too obvious, especially during the day. You can always ramp it up for a night out, though! It stays on all day, too; I wear it for 8-10 hours a day and almost never need a touch-up except during exceptionally bad weather.

All in all, great product, great value. If you don't already have a highlighter, you really can't go wrong with this one!