Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 7/10/2009 10:21:00 PM

Eyes: Violet

Based on the reviews, I bought castor oil (nothing fancy, just Walgreen's brand) for my lashes. After about two months, applying it maybe twice a week with a cotton swab, my lashes are longer and seem stronger. It's also done wonders for my cuticles and nails. The bottle tends to get a little messy, but it's a small price to pay.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

So the castor oil that I purchased is called Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I believe the main difference between this and what other people might have is that it is dark in color, very very thick, and has a smokey smell to it. The only place that I use this is on my hair as an oil treatment and it does wonders for conditioning and thickening my hair. I really love this product.

Quick take: great lash conditioner. I heard about castor oil promoting lash growth so I though I'd give it a try. My lashes are long with medium thickness. Overall, I like my lashes but mascara can make them dry over time making them look thinnner and shorter. I have used Vaseline in the past with success. I also use Mavala, Talika, and Ardell lash conditioners; all of which worked well. Castor oil has been the best conditioner of all the ones I've tried and the cheapest. I don't think it stimulates hair growth but I do think it keeps the lashes healthy so that they can reach their full potential.

I use my finger to dab along my lash line and onto the length of my lashes. A little goes a long way!

Other uses: This also makes an awesome cuticle conditioner and a nice nighttime lip balm.

on 6/18/2009 5:17:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I like it, i don't use it exclusive to my brows because i know will never grow as Frida Khalo again...But it's good moisturiser to my dry skin, i use at night, it's too sticky! but works, i don't care i cannot to kiss my hubby before sleep he,he...

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

I am reviewing this as a component in my cleansing oil. Find it very odd that some are using (and having success with!) this straight as a hair growth promoter, since it makes up about 25-40% of my facial cleansing oil! It is the component that provides the actual "cleansing" function of the oil - the others work too but more for moisturizing. I use a higher concentration for oilier girls and a lower concentration for dryer types. Castor oil has wonderful cleansing properties to it and is pretty easily available and cheap. Super!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After reading this on MUA, I decided to give this a try. I can never arch my brows the way I wanted it to because my brows end at the same point where my outer corners of my eyes are. I started slathering castor oil to where I want my brows' ends to be with q-tips, and the rest of the oil that is left on my inner brows and my eyelashes. By slatering on my eyelashes, I mean I just wipe the q-tip across my eyelids.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks, and I am happy to say that this method has worked for me and I have baby hairs growing out at my brows' ends making it "longer". (And I don't even do it every night, maybe every other night.) There's only a few of them now, but everyone knows even one eyebrow plucked wrong can change the whole brow arch! Now I am able to slowly shape my arch.

As for my lashes, because I actually wipe the oil on my entire eye, I am having new growth as well. But while making my eyelashes longer, some are growing 1 to 2 mm above my eyelashes. This freaks me out a bit, because I want my lashes to remain at the edge of my eyelids!! So now I am gently coating just my eyelashes and the roots of my eyelashes.

on 5/27/2009 11:40:00 PM

This stuff WORKS! I have been using it for the past few months and have definite lash growth as a result. You can even SEE the little lashes that are on the way! I use a disposable mascara wand to apply at night only. The big bottle will take forever to get through, and at $5 a pop, it's incredibly economical. I haven't tried this on my brows, but for lashes it is terrific! HIGHLY recommend!

on 5/22/2009 11:23:00 AM

I so wanted this to work for me. I tried it both on my brows and my eyelashes, rubbing a bit on both with a Q-Tip before bedtime for over a month. I didn't noticed any diffrence. :( Maybe my lashes are already so fabulous that they won't benefit from this...? Sure, I'll tell myself that. I will continue to use this as an eye makeup remover, though. It is a nice, thick oil that does remove makeup well. I recommend that everyone try it, because it does seem to work for most people. Just be prepared for a different result.

on 5/22/2009 11:10:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I decided to get this product after doing some research and finding that most of the "lash growth" formulas are comprised of- yes,you guessed it,castor oil,and sometimes wheat protein- (for thickness/volume) I decided that spending under $5 for a good size bottle of this as opposed to Talika ($35 +) or even Mavala ($13??) was much more cost effective.Not only that,but castor oil makes a great eye makeup remover,moisturizer and all around useful product (admittedly, the last time I used this stuff was to bring on labor and while it didn't make a bit of difference in that regard I was mighty regular for a couple of days!)
I love what a previous reviewer mentioned about lip balm; I was using Vitamin E for this but I could see this being a good remedy for chapped lips as well.
I was reading another reviewer's mention about it being "poisonous" (which she disregarded,and rightly so!). It is the castor BEAN where ricin is derived from that is a powerful toxin.Unless you're at home chemist with nefarious intentions,the oil itself is not likely to be of any harm.

on 5/20/2009 8:38:00 PM

Ok, I'm done. I fall for every "miracle" product touted on MUA, with high hopes of the wonderful results reported by other members. Once again, I've wasted mt time & money (thankfully it's cheap). I'm blond with below average lash length & density. How I wish I had lush lashes. Castor oil does nothing but make a good eye makeup remover. I've used it for 3 months with zero results.
Save your $.