August 27, 2014 | 1742 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2009 5:10:00 PM More reviews by elles7781

To be honest, I was very skeptical of this product, but after reading the reviews I picked up a bottle at my local Henry's health food market. OMG AMAZING! After only a week of using the Castor Oil on my lashes I can honestly and truly see a difference. My lashes were already strong and relatively long to begin with, and after using the Castor oil they are even more beautiful. I now only apply one thin coat of mascara, and seriously look like I have false lashes on. Do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of this magical oil-you will not regret it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2009 9:47:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

Absolutely amazed. I've been using this for about a month and a half and I really notice a difference - my eyebrows have really filled in and the bald bits I have from overplucking are slowly (very slowly) starting to show signs of hair! after years of baldness, this really seems to be working.

Never thought I'd see that again! It's messy and a bit of a pain. I find that brushing the brows with an eyebrow brush every day exfoliates and lets the hair grow in faster.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2009 12:31:00 AM More reviews by ktdetails

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

People use it to encourage hair growth for brows and eyelashes.
I picked up a medium size bottle of cold pressed castor oil from Whole Foods for like 7 or 8 bucks.

At night, after I wash, tone and moisturize with my usual routine... I barely dip a q-tip into the castor oil and swipe it across each brow and then use the last bit across my lashes. (I massage the oil in for maybe 15 seconds with the end of the same q-tip, especially on the areas that I want to see the most results. I've been doing it for 5 days and I'm really impressed...... but I must say I noticed a difference after the very first night.
The first night I used it I woke up to find that a bald spot that I've had in my brows for 7 years had 3 new 1/8" hairs sticking out if it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2009 7:21:00 AM More reviews by pertiegurlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Castor oil=the miracle worker.
There are loads of reviews here praising & detailing its every virtue, so I feel I don't need to add much. Just echoing the facts: ~will give you perfect skin ~will make your lashes grow and grow.
I come from the sub-continent, desi-land, where every woman seems to be born with the knowledge of every oil and its beautifying properties. I didn't grow up there, though, so I missed out.
Then one day my cousin saw me putting on mascara, with my classic mascara-face (mouth open like a kind of silent scream, furrowed forehead), and went "Why do you use that?" "Cuz my lashes don't show up otherwise." "Why do you want your lashes to show up?" "Cuz it's pretty." "Why don't you use castor oil like Aapi?" (aapi means big sister)
It happened like a tv commercial, basically. Anyway, so after a couple of days of using it, I noticed a layer of lashes growing ABOVE the original layer.
Now, after a few months' use: thicker. longer (definitely not imagining this, since now they skim my eyebrows, whereas before, even curling them wouldn't get them that high). and MORE of them.
By the way, you know how when you put on eyeliner, you gotta get it in between the lash-gaps, as close to the lash line as possible? Now I've given up lining the upper lid, because those lash gaps DON'T EXIST. Basically there's no space to apply liner so that it would look natural, you know? In case anyone has doubts, this is A Great Thing.
**UPDATE**The subject's come up on the forums, that medical practitioners say castor oil could possibly cause blindness, that it's poisonous.
FYI, the herbal medicene system from India, Ayurveda, has prescribed castor oil for a remedy of all sorts, for thousands of years. Problems both minor (e.g. short, sparse eyelashes) and major (e.g. removing toxic substances from the body). It's used in poultices (external) and tonics (internal) with no adverse reactions.
YES, the castor BEAN can be used to create a very powerful poison--however, the oil that you get in a bottle is completely different, chemically, from the bean itself, and is notpoisonousatall. If the oil was so harmful, why is it that Indian women have been using it as a beauty treatment (that includes the eyelashes) for thousands of years? Surely that practice would have been stopped in its tracks centuries ago, if castor oil was truly unsafe.
People in the medical field need to open their eyes to the ancient healing traditions, which have actually provided modern pharmacies with the basis of much of their medicene...science has a lot to research yet. If it works, & if it's been tried and tested for longer than Western medicene's been around, & if the women of India/Pakistan/Bangladesh have pretty good vision (FYI most of the ladies in these countries have castor oil around for beauty treatments)...then you better believe that whoever bunks it as a myth is misinformed.

120 out of 125 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2009 10:46:00 PM More reviews by paintednightsky

Regarding the comment below me, I doubt you want to use castor oil full blast on your face. Of course it is going to be very thick and most likely break you out because of the consistency. If you want an easy one step solution, jojoba oil is the way to go.

I've been using it on my lashes and eyebrows and I've been using it for about a week. My lashes are pretty short and thin and I already notice a difference. I also put some on my scalp and hair ends as an overnight treatment and I have no problems washing it out in the morning. I hope the results will continue on the longer I use it.

The only thing is, I wish it came in a squeeze bottle. It'd be more convenient and hygienic to use. I've been using a qtip for brows and lashes.

I also find it moisturizing for under my eyes although I don't intentionally apply it there but its inevitable considering you're putting it on your lashes.

Overall, great product for under 3 bucks for a good sized bottle which will last a long time.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2009 3:14:00 AM More reviews by greenclover

Would I buy this product again for cosmetic purposes? Well no, for laxative purposes, well, uh frankly (I admit I did have to try it) yes. Personally I don't know what else it's good for. It seems like a decent gentle natural laxative in small doses (p.s. do your research/ contact doctor before taking). However, for cosmetic purposes I have to say it sucks. People (I don't know why the listing just says "brows" people use it for other stuff) say it's a great moisturizer, facial cleanser (using the oil cleansing method) (I think it's a terrible oil cleanser personally it leaves a film on the skin and is hard to wash off. I think it clogged my pores) and hair moisturizer (have to admit I haven't really tried it for growing? new hair like others), but it's so "darn" nasty and sticky that I say why bother? When there are so many other nice oils that moisturize better, leave skin softer and are easier to use than this thick, viscous, sticky stuff! When it comes out of the bottle it hardly has an oil texture at all, more like glycerin. I say pass.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2009 9:19:00 PM More reviews by xizilia7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

my HGs! mix review for two products.
i mix equal parts of BB apricot baby oil ( or any oil you'd like to thin out the castor oil) and castor oil together (1tsp/ea), apply evenly to scalp only w/ a synthetic concealer brush, put in bun and place a showercap on for at least 6+ hrs (laundry/chores day) and shampoo twice out after. It has helped my hair become so shiny and there's baby hair all over the place since it's helping my hair GROW!!!!! I do this no more than twice a week since the castor oil can be drying.
Got mine at publix. Will buy again and stock up!

I also tried this for growing out eyelashes and eyebrows but it broke me out so I'll stick to my hair routine for now.

UPDATE: 3.23.09 I look forward to chore days now so that I can do my oil treatments bc it works!!! I've only used it a couple of times but there's a dramatic different in my hair. It's fuller, shinier and there's baby hair all over bc it's GROWING!

Ladies, it doesn't matter what s/c or styling products out there you use, you must try this and stick w/ it. You'll save money in the long run. Your hair will thank you and you won't have to worry about hair loss (supplements, menopause, treatments, pregnancy...) This is IT! HG for life!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2009 8:20:00 PM More reviews by beebop808

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have read every single posting on MUA about Castor Oil for both the brows as well as eyelashes. I was skeptical about purchasing this and waited for 2 months before doing so -- it's been a little over a week since my purchase/use and let me say that within 8 days of applying this to my brows every night, WOW, it truly has been working its wonders. My brows are not to thin or think, it's in between, but my right brow has less hair in certain areas due to waxing, tweezing, and brow tattooing I did 10 years ago (I would never in my wildest dreams recommend that to anyone. I'll never do it again). I did notice that some of the hair that's been missing for years are starting to appear, slowly up surely. It's only been 8 days so I can't give it 5 lippies that's why I gave it only 4. I will update again in about a week or so. So far so gooooood!
I have yet to try it on my lashes when I build up the courage.
********************************Edit*******************************
3/7/09:
I said I would give this product sometime before I do a full update/review. Well, it's been a little over two weeks now and this product has worked perfectly for my brows. My right brow is now totally filled in, all hairs that were previously missing in now ALL THERE!!! I will continue to use it until I achieve the brows I've been waiting for, for years. I wish I would have discovered this a long time ago. Another thing I might add is that I am simply using (Humco Castor Oil) purchased from Walmart.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2009 5:06:00 PM More reviews by hayes4

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My first ever review, I love this site! Just wanted to say that Castor Oil is heavily used by Indian beauties and my mum always applied to my hair, eyelashes and eybrows....I probably detested it then but you know what everyone comments on my luscious eyelashes. Alas over the years and not using castor oil, they have thinned out so guess what....I am applying castor oil on eyelashes and eyebrows myself now and already seen a positive effect. What is it with women and eyelashes, I still want more luscious long eyelashes lol :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2009 12:57:00 AM More reviews by SweetDreamsBeautifulNight

I can not believe how castor oil has done wonders for my hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows. I read reviews about it online and it works sooooo well. I buy at least two bottles each time. I love this product with all of my heart and I am so glad that I've found it. Not to mention, it's dirt cheap.