September 17, 2014 | 1948 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

This is a pretty amazing product for the price. I mix in a little bit of honey and apply while I'm in the tub to freshly cleansed skin. Lately, even my Aveda mask has seemed somewhat irritating, and using the yogurt mask is so soothing. The lactic acids seem to eat away the little flakies and my skin looks great afterwards, like getting 12 hours' of sleep. I always keep yogurt around, but seem to forget to use this on my face, and really need to make a conscious effort to do so. I imagine you can add nearly anything to add to this mask, ground oatmeal, almond meal, lemon, essential oils etc. but I like it with just the honey, which I purchase from a local beekeeper. Good enuf to eat!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2008 12:16:00 AM More reviews by onceuponatime

I really love the idea of this-- it's a natural treatment that hasn't been processed or stuffed with chemicals-- it's one ingredient. I love the idea of a cheap chemical exfoliant of lactic acid. I love the ideaaaaa (even if it's kinda gross) but frankly I haven't seen enough of a difference in my complexion to call it HG.

It does feel nice. I like mixing it with a little honey and spreading a very thin layer on my face. The only place I can feel a significant difference is on my lips-- maybe this kind of exfoliation works best there?

Updates are coming up on its effectiveness.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2008 9:36:00 PM More reviews by e_L_L_e

this is such a great product!!! it leaves my acne-prone sensitive skin so even, smooth, and flake-free. it's just incredible with redness and irritations. the lactic acid gently exfoliates and the fat/cream in the yogurt moisturizes amazingly. i like to apply a thick layer before a shower (as it is messy and will get onto hair), leave it on till it dries, sometimes i will apply another layer, and finally wash it off in the shower. make sure to buy not fat-free plain yogurt with no starch (the starch will harden and is uncomfortable on the skin). a tub of yogurt itself is not expensive, but it becomes rather pricy at 4-5 bucks every 3 weeks and i've only used like 1/4 of the tub. so i'm only gonna repurchase for when my skin becomes irritated.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2008 10:23:00 PM More reviews by AmbiguousSage

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mask has become a staple in my routine. I have been using it just about daily for two weeks. I use the plain, whole fat yogurt on my face. I do like the cool creamy consistency of the mask. The first time I out on a bit much and it got runny and took forever to dry, but I quickly learned my lesson and found out a thin layer is enough for excellent results. So far my face is far less dry and dare I say it... less break out prone. I mean seriously, even my boyfriend told me yesterday that my face felt softer and looked clean. My only complaint about this stuff is that I'm not too fond of the scent when its all warm and drying on your face, but I am more than willing to put up with it for the excellent results. Its not a bad smell, it just smells like... warm yogurt =/. I strongly suggest you try it out and worse case scenario you wont like it... in that case make a smoothie =)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

My skin is very sensitive to both aha's and bha's so I have to be careful what I use as a chemical exfoliant. Once a week in winter and twice in summer I put a thick layer of yoghurt on my face, neck, hands and forearms, allow to set for half an hour and then wash it off in the bath. I am left with skin that looks clean and moisturised, with unblocked pores. Yoghurt contains lactic acid, which is an aha. However lactic acid is naturally produced in the body and is considered to be easier for sensitive skins to take. So if you want to do a light exfoliation without irritation, consider the yoghurt mask. Low fat yoghurt seems to give a slightly stronger exfoliation than full fat. I am assuming that the fat content in full fat yoghurt coats the skin and stops the lactic acid from penetrating as deeply. The yoghurt mask is cheap, effective, and you can modify it to suit your skin type. Many people use lemon juice in their masks, but consider using either a small amount of mashed papaya or pineapple which will increase the exfoliating action through their protein dissolving enzymes, or grate some cucumber and add it for its slightly astringent qualities. Someone with dry skin may want to add a small amount of mashed banana to the yoghurt mask. Grated potato is good for skin that suffers from excema or redness. As our skin is always changing the yoghurt mask can change with it.

51 out of 51 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2008 12:16:00 PM More reviews by sjmathur

My mom has made me use this mask since forever! Anyway, my family is Indian, and this is a beauty secret that all Indians actively use (yogurt and olive oil!). Anyway, I've slightly tweaked this mask, so here's the recipe:
2-3 tsp plain yogurt
~3 tsp rolled oats (plain) softened with hot water and crushed
quite a few squeezes of honey
2 tsp of gram flour (also known as besan/chickpea flour <- Indian tradition) *this is optional, I use it to thicken the mask (http://www.blurtit.com/q123457.html)
Squeeze of lemon juice
Drop of olive oil
I used to use this all the time when I was younger, but then I got tired of the smell and opted for Bath & Body Works products instead, lol. Anyway, I recently started getting some bad acne. I've been using Carley's Clear and Smooth and that's helped A LOT, but when I combined that with using this mask, my skin cleared up dramatically! Please try this mask, you'll be amazed!
PS- Yogurt CAN lighten your skin (not crazily, just very, very slightly. But in doing that, it fades acne scars and even outs your skin tone!

32 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2008 7:14:00 PM More reviews by cadarino

I've read about yogurt masks many times in magazines, but for some reason I never tried it. Today I was feeling adventurous and had some yogurt that was about to go bad, so instead of throwing it away, I did a yogurt mask. I would recommend using a yogurt that is as thick as possible, that way it stays on your face better. My favorite yogurt to eat is greek yogurt by Fage (it's amazingly thick and creamy, and not as sour as other plain yogurts).

You can buy it at Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Anyway, I slathered on a nice thick layer, which felt amazing because it's nice and cool. I put it all over my face, neck, and chest. It tingled on my skin just a tiny bit, which is probably the lactic acid working! I let it dry completely, and it didn't flake off or anything, which was nice. I rinsed it off with a warm washcloth.

The results are smooth, soft, and supple skin! I like the ideas of adding lemon juice if your skin is oily or honey if your skin is dry.

This is a great all-natural, inexpensive mask. Why pay more for masks that just add a bunch of chemicals and preservatives?!?!?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 10:51:00 AM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Would you believe this is an indian beauty tradition. Leave on the mask On face and lips till dry 2x a week or more. Yogurt with honey for the moisture glow...or with lemon for more exfoliation... or with oatmeal or besan flour (chickpea) for a extra scrub, and a little turmeric powder to brighten up skin (be careful on your clothes). The lactic acid from the yogurt removes the dead skin. lip ottos lip is darker and this helps. It's been great for all skin types. Bonus for sensitive skin. Cools and heals skin too. Good quality yogurt preferred with fat. My family has been doing these treatments for years! I like the asprin mask also. Vinegar and water as a toner works well for acne after. I would use jojoba oil or an organic baby shampoo as a cleanser to remove any residue.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2008 1:29:00 AM More reviews by nicolenikol

Using plain yogurt as a mask is probably one of the best (and cheapest) things that I have ever used on my face!! It calms down any redness/breakouts that I have at the moment and also tightens my pores incredibly. If you haven't tried it, you must! Squeeze a few drops of lemon into the yogurt and you'll be amazed at the results!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 9:23:00 PM More reviews by graceface07

i used dannon actives plain yogurt. i was at work and for some reason my face and neck started to get really itchy & red. when i got home i slathered some of this on. you only need a thin layer for this stuf to do its magic. first off, the cooling sensation was such a relief to my irritated skin. I left it on for about 15 minutes and then i took a warm wash cloth, covered my face, and layed down for a few minutes and let the warm steem penetrate my face, then i splashed my face with warm water to rinse off.

but let me tell you my skin was glowing! i felt like i was in a clean and clear commercial bc of how radiant and fresh my skin was. this is a great little pick me up before a date, or when your skin is looking blah!
i've now added this into my daily routine. i just slather it on while im waiting for my tea to brew everymorning. by the time im done eating breakfast its done its magic :)

EDIT:

so this is definately a great alternative for someone who is reactive to bha and aha but still wants a nice deep exfoliation. I don't like to add too much extra ingredients to this b/c I feel it will break down the lactic acid. also for an extra glow, first I use a physical exfoliant such as mac refinisher (great for sensitive skin bc its fragrance free and gentle ..got mine on ebay for $6) anyways I exfoliate with mac scrub first and that allows the yogurt mask to penetrate better. I try to use the scrub every other day for balance. oh and I always moisturize with my hg eucerin spf 30 after mask.