October 31, 2014 | 918 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2011 2:08:00 PM More reviews by kirstindoyle

I used this in 6, Light Brown. Absolutely the ONLY dye that I have ever used (and trust me, I've been through pretty much all of them) that didn't pull red or leave some awful brassy cast to my color! It definitely came out darker than the box said it would, but that's to be expected with any brown shade, and it's still a nice true brown- exactly what I was looking for since I dyed my hair last month (Nice N Easy Light Neutral Brown) and it pulled red leaving my hair looking coppery. I didn't experience any damage or dryness with this dye, my hair is soft and shiny. The only thing I don't like about using this color is the conditioner- it stinks, I find the smells lingers in my hair days after using it even if I shampoo and use a different conditioner. All in all, I love this dye, and I'll be sticking with it for as long as I color my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2011 1:34:00 AM More reviews by amaizeingndn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm really surprised at the bad reviews this product is getting. I love this, it''s one of the only things that stays constant in my hair routine. I have naturally very dark brown hair, but it has a fairly strong natural reddish tone to it. I use the color Espresso/Darkest Brown, and it takes the redness out of my hair and makes it a touch darker. It also adds a ton of shine and volume to my fine hair. I also like that it's semi-permanent so the re-growth isn't too harsh and it keeps my hair healthy since I'm growing it out. I really like this product, and it's my favorite drugstore hair color.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2010 4:45:00 PM More reviews by zazubinx

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was another long time user of L'Oreal's Color Spa before it was sadly discontinued. Up until a month ago I was still able to track down rare boxes of my color, but I eventually had to start looking for a replacement - enter Healthy Look.
_____________________________________________

I bought 6R Light Red Brown, a.k.a. Spicy Praline. Since I had been using a darker color in Color Spa (30 Reddish Brown on my medium brown hair) I was worried this one might cast copper/cherry or even "OMG orange!", but it didn't. Matter of fact it's a lovely soft warm color, very true to what's on the box. Plus the texture is smooth and healthy - I like it a lot!
_____________________________________________

Another nice result was that it completely covered the grays, but after a couple of weeks they did start to show a bit. That said I should mention that (with the exception of the first 24 hours after application) I wash my hair every night, otherwise the grays might not be peeking through. Also the color is still hanging in there; not much perceptible fading.
_____________________________________________

As for the packaging and conditioner provided, I don't like the over-sized thin gloves, but the conditioner is wonderful.
_____________________________________________

All in all, it's a decent replacement that I will be stocking up on until I'm forced to find something else again.
_____________________________________________

Edit: I recently started applying this color on slightly damp/towel dried hair. Not that this does anything one way or the other to the results, it just seems to go on easier that way.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2010 3:54:00 AM More reviews by JennyBrielle16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was the first time I have ever dyed my hair, (so I guess I have nothing to compare to) but I've dyed hair for multiple people on different occasions and I have to say I really like this. But one thing people REALLY need to keep in mind is that the color is WAY darker than stated. I used the Medium Red Brown color, going for a burgundy look.(which I got.)
All in all not too much to complain about. I like it. I was starting with a medium to dark brown color for references!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2010 8:04:00 AM More reviews by candybum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I just used this last night in a desperate attempt to cover up some major grey along my part. I used #6 which is Light Brown. It worked great! I left it on my roots for five minutes, then put it through the rest of my hair and left it for ten. It smells really nice, not chemical-y, and left my hair very close to the shade on the box, and it's also very soft and shiny. I will definitely use again, as long as it doesnt' wash out too fast. I'll update if it does! Oh, and I even had some brassy old highlights which this covered up beautifully! A pleasure to use!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2010 11:44:00 AM More reviews by liz0614

I love this hair color. My natural hair color is a medium to dark brown with a little bit of gray. I used the Cool Chestnut Brown. It came out very much like the color on the box. It left my hair soft and shiny. The last temporary hair color I used was Garnier Herbashine and that completely dried out my hair and caused a lot of breakage. I thought the smell was pleasant enough for hair color and the smell didn't linger in my hair once I washed it. I colored about 3 weeks ago and my gray isn't yet showing. I would recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 4:02:00 PM More reviews by diffa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been trying to keep my hair dark again after having it lightened this summer. It's really hard to maintain a consistent color if your hair is porous and color fades fast. So instead of using permanent colors which lift your hair every time causing it to become more damaged, I began using demi permanent dyes which only deposit color. This is good if you want to maintain a color or darken your hair.

When I came across this product in a magazine ad I thought, "hmm looks promising" so I picked up a box the next week at my local CVS for 7.99 (yay for sales) I got cool chestnut brown 4AR which is a exactly what it is, a cool toned reddish brown. Packaging is typical of box colors and came with paper thin gloves. The smell was actually pretty good and didn't linger around my bathroom like most dyes do.

My hair prior to using this was already dyed with a semi permanent dye I got from Sally's. It held the color pretty well but it was beginning to feel like straw. Every time I would shower, no amount of conditioner would untangle it. Here's where Healthy Look comes in. Right when I rinsed this out, I felt my hair was smoother already. I didn't even put in the conditioner yet and it wasn't tangled! The color washed out pretty clear after 5 minutes and I followed with the conditioner it came with which smelled pretty good. After I got out of the shower came the towel test. If a lot of color came off my beige towel then it was a bust. But surprisingly nothing came off! We had a winner!

It's been about a week since I've used this product and I really am pleased with the results. And every time I wash my hair, barely any color washes out so I'm glad about that. I really love the texture of my hair now, much less like straw and more like silk. Try this product if your hair is too damaged for permanent dyes but you want to revive the gloss and shine in your hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by mnich

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been going to salon for hair colouring for the past 2 years as I wanted colour + sometimes highlights to blend away the greys...well now it is sooo expensive to do this every 8 weeks so I thought I would try box dye again. I cannot use the permanent box dyes, they always really dry my thin, fine hair out. Healthy Creme Gloss caught my eye as the box says washes out in 28 washes. I was a bit skeptical because the box also says it blends away greys...I know I wanted coverage for my temples and crown which is getting white pretty fast.
I gave it a shot and this is the first time I have home dyed in a few years and my most recent salon colour was at the end of Feb.
I was impressed! I chose Dark Brown as I naturally have dark brown hair but it was coloured medium/darkish brown with ombre ends. I cover the grey areas first and then worked the rest in and left the dye on for total10 min(no extra time, though I was worried it wasn't long enough). I can't believe the coverage! No greys at all, in 10 mins!! Wow! No 2 hours at the salon just to get greys covered! No 35min home dyes like a few years ago! My overall colour is quite a bit darker now, but I love it! Very healthy and rich looking. I won't mind using this every six weeks, and the price is right.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 7:37:00 PM More reviews by josiebearly11209

I really love this product!! To give you a bit of back ground on my hair I have medium length, medium brown hair that is very thick even after I had long layers cut into it to help de-bulk it a bit. I have been looking around for a semi-permanent hair dye I could use to dye my hair black as I have had very poor previous hair dyeing experiences and am scared to commit to the permanency of a permanent dye.

So I made my mind up and my roommate and I headed out to Walmart at 9AM on a Tuesday in the quest of finding hair dye. My roommate is no stranger to dyeing hair and actually bleached her naturally brown hair to a platinum blonde and had me dye the entire bottom layer burgundy after she had razor cut layers put in. So I knew I could trust her with helping me find a good semi-permanent dye. We ended up settling on this dye by L'Oreal and I was torn between 2. Rich Black and 2B Blue Black. If it were just me I would have went for the 2B Blue Black but my roommate convinced me to go with 2. Rich Black and if I liked the lighter black I could always buy the 2B Blue Black next time and have the darker black which is more of a jet black with blue hues where as this 2.Rich Black I currently have in is more of a naturally black and now that it has settled in my hair I can see it has very dark coffee coloured hues in it and looks more like a natural black as appose to jet black. The box was about $8 so it was quite affordable but pricier then some of the other dyes we looked at. Well worth it however.

With the help of my roommate we did a test strip on an easy to hide section of hair and did a skin test as the box mentioned it had the potential to cause irritation or a negative reaction to those who have a tattoo (which I do). After both tests were successful we were off to the races with dyeing my hair. The one thing that caused concern is my hair is medium length and quite thick and my roommate was quite concerned she would run out of dye. We just made it but I would have liked a bit more product in the package and am sure that someone with longer hair then me would have to buy another box (My hair is about 1/3 an inch past my armpits) I mean it when I say we JUST steered clear of my roommate running out mid-dye job and grabbing another box of dye. Thankfully she was able to work it so we could get coverage on my entire head.

We waited 20 minutes and rinsed the dye out and the first thought I had was how dark it was. Definitely darker then the box depicted but I remembered that with Semi-Permanent dye it ALWAYS comes out darker then it is depicted on the box to and that is because it needs to last 28 shampoos and the first wash the dyes always bleeds onto your towel and the excess colour fades into your hair and keeps it for those 28 washes. We applied the Conditioner that came in the box and to be honest I found it kind of pointless, it didn't really soften my hair or anything along those lines but I have kept it to use once a week like the box instructed to do so. We blow dryed my hair and I ended up straightening it and it was amazingly shiny and looked great! The colour was a lot more black then I anticipated but again that has all to do with the need of it lasting through 28 shampoos. My hair felt a bit "Gritty" I would say and had a kind of rough texture to it but I assumed it is because of the fact I just dyed it and rough blow dryed it and the feeling disappeared after I shampooed and conditioned it a few days later.

It has been a week today and the dye has faded from the extremely severe black it was once it had just been dyed to a much more natural black. It is a lighter black that stays very true to the colour it promised on the box which was a natural, light black. Amazingly my hair if held under a light such as the bathroom light fixture it has dark coffee brown highlights and it has a lot of dimension and has beautiful dark brown highlights through out the natural black base of colour. I think it looks great and is great especially because it not only stays true to the colour it promises on the box but it looks very natural and is not an inky black. It does look very natural and it looks like I was born with this hair colour.

Seeing how I liked this lighter more natural black I will definitely go ahead and use the 2B Blue Black next time as it is an even darker black and more of a jet black with blue hues which is what I originally wanted but I am definitely pleased my roommate convinced me to go with the more natural, lighter black the first time I dyed because it gave me an excellent idea of black hair and I will probably re-dye my hair in the next few weeks with the Blue Black dye and get a darker black like I originally wanted.

This is a great dye though and it takes 20 minutes and honestly ladies we can all spare that for personal beauty. I am definitely not disappointed with this dye and will be re-purchasing, just in a darker black shade.

I do reccomend this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by mariefranci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In a nutshell, I have tried Natural Instincts semi perm brass free before and it was good. But I was looking for something that was just a tad better. I tried Healthy Look and I must say, it does make your hair look/feel healthy! I dyed it two days ago and my hair still looks healthy. I used the Darkest Brown, so my hair is quite dark. It says on the box if you are undecided between two shades, choose the lighter one because it might be darker than expected. For me though, the darker the better since I have tanned skin it suits me. Follow the instructions! Don't leave it on for too long if you don't want it to get that dark and if your trying to cover redish or golden tones, buy a colour that is neutral. Darkest Brown had no highlights or added colours. It was just neutral. So be careful of what colour you buy. Avoid any colours that have letters beside the number, unless you want those tones.

PROS:
- smells good almost a fruity kind of smell. I liked it compared to other dyes I have used.
- Enough product for my hair, i have really long hair. Usually I have to buy a second box, but because its creamy it covered everything.

CONS:
- I must say, some strands of hair were missed.. but perhaps that isn't the dye it, it was probably me who didn't cover it properly
- I have no gray hair so I can't really tell you if it will cover.. but it did cover some reddish tones in my hair that i got from the sun and past hair colouring.

Overall, I am impressed so far. I will write a review again to see how long the colour actually stays. 28 Shampoos? Lets seee...