September 30, 2014 | 2206 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 6:37:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I am currently using samples that I bought off eBay. This is definitely not greasy, though not as matte as the Japanese sunscreens. It does leave a teeny bit of a white cast on my dark skin, but some of that that absorbs after a short while and leaves a nice glow. If you apply generously (which you should), a little bit of a white cast does remain.

It's quite pricey but I would pay any price for a sunscreen that does it's job and doesn't break me out. Usually pricey products can be used sparingly, but you do need 5-6 drops of this to spread all over your face. I only use it on my cheeks and chin where I break out more, and use cheaper Japanese sunscreens on my forehead and nose.

It doesn't seem to clog pores but my skin has become a bit bumpy since I started using it, though that could be due to that time of month. I'm going to finish my two samples and see if I want to buy again.

Update: I was so happy after finishing my first sample that I have ordered a full-size. This is really really great for me as I have the greasiest skin ever and live in the most humid climate. The bumpiness I experienced earlier was shortlived and my skin is quite smooth after using for about 2 weeks.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by elliotx

I was very happy with this. It's a shake-up with alcohol, but somehow leaves your skin moisturized and not in a greasy way. The finish really is great AND it's zinc oxide base with bonus antioxidants.
I can't give 5 lippies though because I feel it's overpriced. Like we're being gauged for the name Chanel. And I can't overlook the high alcohol content either.
I purchased some Obagi Nuderm on Amazon for $20 and have no complaints. I'm not against repurchasing UV Essential, but I don't see a real need to.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2012 11:20:00 AM More reviews by chaudhrk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Update to old review- just adding that this new formula is terrible. Causes breakouts and stays thick and white on the skin- nothing like the old one!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by cindy007

This sunscreen contains micronized zinc oxide, which is a full spectrum suncreen. It protects against all UVA and all UVB rays. As well, the physical sunsceen zinc oxide does not break down when exposed to the sun, like chemical sunscreens will. This sunsceen has managed to find a way to use this ingredient without giving the face a white mask like appearance. It is a superior product. I must also add that it has not broken out my face in any way or irritated it. Smells very soft.

The suncreen does have a chemical sunsceen in it also, which I forget the name, but it has a very high level (17% i think) of the zinc. It has a light texture and does absorb easily.

The only thing I will say is that you do have to use a lot of this product. Do not believe the sales people in the store who say only a drop is needed. Now does that make any sense when every article in the world says to load up the sunscreen like you're icing a cupcake. So load this stuff on! I would give it a little time to dry before you apply makeup over it or powder.

On the downside, it does give a teeennyy bit of a white cast to the skin, but much better than any other zinc oxide product i have tried.

Of course, you have to put it on more than once a day, just like any other suncreen.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by kmc93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

After some bad experiences with a few other facial sunscreens, I finally bit the bullet and purchased this sunscreen while on vacation in Rome. I have to say that despite the price, I can't see myself using any other facial sunscreen again. The formula absorbs very well into my skin and does not leave it feeling greasy, and it makes a great base for makeup. I actually find my t zone does not get as oily though the course of the day when I am wearing this product. I have extremely sensitive skin and this product has given me no problem. If you are having difficulty finding a good sunscreen for sensitive skin, I would definitely give the one a try

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2012 12:38:00 PM More reviews by tinaesq

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this everyday for two weeks. my skin is oily, sensitive to changes in skincare and acne prone with easy to clog pores.

so far i've had no breakouts of any kind so that by itself is a huge thumbs up for me.

the finish feels a little chalky/milky on application but dries down to a light primer feeling. it remains a bit tacky so i suppose thats the primer function at work. after a few hours i do need to blot my usual areas that are oily but this is a huge improvement on all other sunscreens ive tried. this is the first physical sunscreen ive used, so that might be why its keeping the oily parts from coming out immediately.

this does not dry my skin at all, has a light matte finish and doesn't suffocate my pores. dry skin users might benefit from a moisturizer underneath.

getting this off: i was expecting to have to use an oil cleanser ( somethong i really didnt want to do) to get this off. No need! i washed my face twice, back to back with cerave foaming face wash and its done! no pressure needed to smear it off.

packaging: wow this is even smaller than i thought. like a tiny foundation bottle. i hope no one in myfamily picks this up to use as body sunscreen!!

price: at 52 bucks USD, its a little painful, but not as painful as darkspots and cyctic acne! i was about to buy sofina beaute's spf 50 but the exchange rate and shipping brought the price level with chanel for the same tiny size so i went with chanel.

would highly recommend this for oily, acne prone skin types... just don't rub it so deep into your pores that it can't get washed off. patting it in lightly is all you need.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 4:34:00 AM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm sorry to bring the ratings down, but Chanel has reformulated this product and since they've done so, what had been my HG has now become a very expensive mistake. Pre-reformulation, this was an unbelievable product - fresh, dry, non sticky, cool on the face, perfect under makeup... a dream product.

I find the reformulated product much oilier, doesn't sink in as well, just feels greasy. I love the very high ZO % but that's about it. And for those who say its not whitening, I don't believe you are using enough to get adequate coverage because it definitely leaves a white cast when you use enough! This doesn't bother me as I'm quite fair, but it may be problematic for those with darker complexions.

In a way I'm glad because now I won't be lemming this anymore :-)

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2012 2:19:00 AM More reviews by allyson399

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Far and away my favorite sunscreen. I have sensitive, oily, easily congested skin that is very fair. I've always wanted to wear a sunscreen daily but I found that they would break me out, irritate my skin, or feel really heavy. On a whim I tried this and I LOVED it. That was about a year and a half ago and I've bought it 4 times since then. It feels amazing on my skin and never breaks me out. I find this sufficiently moisturizing in the morning to use on its own. It is annoying that it costs $50, but this is so essential in my skincare routine that it is worth it. With daily use a bottle lasts me about 3 months.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2012 8:22:00 AM More reviews by rubadub

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

I really don't know why I insisted on buying this last year when i spent the whole summer in Sweden but i did. It's not available here so i bought it (way overpriced btw :() from an online retailer. But im glad i did! On application it leaves a slight white cast but after about 30 mins it's invisible. I didn't really put it to the test under the scorching desert sun but it did hold up perfectly under the swedish summer sun. It leaves a matte but not powdery finish and despite my dry skin i didn't find it at all drying (despite the alcohol it contains!). It works great under make-up and has that pleasant Chanel smell (same as the Hydramax-line). Also, it helps your face stay cool which is a BIG plus. I used a different spf (also 50+ btw) on my body and the Chanel on my face and whilst my body felt sweaty and hot my face stayed completely cool! Without a sunhat! The only major drawback i can think of would be the steep price. Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2012 4:25:00 AM More reviews by satinribbons

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am SOO in love with this product, I bought 3 already, lol. One for home, one for my purse, and one to keep in my glove compartment! I have combination/ oily skin and this product absorbs like magic into my skin! Not only that but it doesn't turn oily later AND makes a great base for my foundation, either powder or liquid. I can't stop raving about it! Also, my skin tone looks way more even two months into using it. People have asked if I have had some kind of procedure done on my skin. Needless to say, for me, its a keeper! Most definitely buying again! ;)