Nioxin Scalp Therapy

3.8

on 8/10/2011 2:12:00 PM

I really, really like the Nioxin cleanser and scalp therapy. I have fine hair and it tends to shed when I get stressed or hormonal. My mother is a hair dresser and she would always keep this in the house, but the salon she works at started carrying Bosley instead so we started using that. My hair just completely changed on that stuff. It was constantly getting tangled and my scalp was producing so much oil. Recently, I came off of birth control and my hair started shedding horribly. I switched back to Nioxin and I am so glad I did. My hair looks healthy and shiny and looks so much thicker. The shedding has stopped and at bedtime last night my bangs still weren't oily. Definitely never switching again.

on 11/24/2010 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is one of the best shampoos/conditioners I have ever had. I started to use them together when I had a huge hair loss und was desperate of loosing my hair, even if I sow that lot sof new hair was growing back. I used them both diligently for one month but my huge hair loss didn’t stopped. I knew that a seasonal hair loss can occur once a year for few weeks but if it lasts longer than one month it can be caused by a lack of some important minerals and vitamins, or by a dysfunction of the thyroid or hormonal issues in general. But this was not my case. Finally I read on an Italian trichologist website that it can be caused also from an allergic reaction to something or from a strong emotional event happened 3-4 months before the shedding started (loss, move, stress, birth, wedding…). In this case it is called Effluvium Telogen and can be cured with local use of hydrocortisone butyrate, prescription by a dermatologist, 3 times a week for few weeks. I did it and the hair loss stopped.
But apart from the problem with the hair loss I find the cosmetic effectiveness of this combo better than every other expensive product I have ever tried, and I have tried a lot. Especially the shampoo makes my hair smooth, soft, full like nothing else and sometimes it seems to be enough alone without any conditioner. It has a very low amount of SLS, just the amount to clean the follicles from any kind of dirt & sebum and ensure the penetration of the substances in it, then it is loaded with lots of nurturing substances, good for the growth of hair, and lots of amino acids that make the shaft lustrous and moist. I also really like the smell. You can buy it online for very convenient prices i.e. on Strawberrynet. I use the shampoo of system 6, even if my hair is processed, because I don’t want to load my hair with silicones already when cleaning, but for the conditioner the system 7 or 8 is better, as they are designed to smooth dry, processed hair.
My advice: if you want effective results against hair loss without wasting money, check first your life style and diet of the last 6 months, let check your blood/hormones, collect and observe the hair you loose (length, growth stage, is the bulb still attached?) and most of all, go to a good hair dermatologist.

on 11/15/2010 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I'm in two minds about this product, firstly I DO think it has helped my hair to grow (im going to review the whole system 5!) and also helped it to thicken up, HOWEVER either the cleanser or scalp activating treatment is causing major skin irritation and redness, which is said to be expected but really makes you wonder how safe/healthy the products are for your hair. Overall I think it's not really worth spending the mega-bucks buying into the Nioxin line because I'm fairly confident the same results could be achieved with castor oil and biotin! :)

on 10/14/2010 10:24:00 PM

Sorry - I feel that my hair has started to dramatically thin (falling out at roots) in the past 6 months. I tried this entire set: shampoo, conditioner and mousse for natural but noticibly thinning hair. I have been very faithful for over 3 months and I have seen no improvement. I like the minty feeling. I disliked the drying effect on my hair, so I periodically used another, more moisturising conditioner AFTER the scalp therapy conditioner.

I am very sorry that I have not seen any improvement whatsoever.

got part of the system in a bzzagent campaign, which i appreciated cause it's very expensive i guess! the packaging isn't very pretty, but i do like the tingly feeling this gives my scalp and the way it smells (since it's minty, it would be useful if you have a boyfriend who doesn't want to use hair products that are too floral). i couldn't say for sure if it helped with hair breakage, but my scalp is dry and itchy and this did seem to make a difference in the amount of flaking i get. this was my favorite part of the system-i don't know if i'll repurchase since i love trying new things, but if you're looking for a system to rid you of flakes without smelling disgusting, try this out.

on 8/24/2010 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE this stuff. I haven't used it in quite some time because I've been trying other products. The conditioner and shampoo makes your scalp tingle. It almost feels cold. My hair stylist said that the ones that do that are great for color treated hair. It's amazing.

on 8/23/2010 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

So, I had the worst case of dry scalp of my entire life. I'm pretty sure it was the beginning of Psoriasis (my dad has that and I know what it looks like). To make things worse, my hair was shedding like crazy after I gave birth to my son.

Needless to say, I was in need of some serious help, and this system was it! I was trying to wait for at least a month to write a review about it would be accurate, but after 2 weeks of using this conditioner and the System 1 Clenser Shampoo my problems are so much better than I every would have thought.

My hair is shedding half as much as it was before, and my scalp is almost completely heathy again! Every time I use this conditioner I can see a huge difference, and the itching stopped after the first use. It doesn't weigh my hair down, which is another enormous plus. My hair is also fine, and this stuff has given me more volume than anything I have ever tried (which is about everything being a product junkie and all..). My hair has always been in good condition and soft, but I've noticed that it's been softer than normal and the manageability has improved.

I can't say enough about this stuff. I love it. The only drawback was the price and bottle size.. The only place I could buy it was at a local salon, and it came in a HUGE 1,000ml 33.8fl oz bottle.. $40 for the shampoo and conditioner. I'm not going to lie, the tingling and coolness that you get when you use this stuff freaked me out a little at first, but I actually like it now.

Other than that, I have found my HG conditioner!

Update - It's been over a year (Dec. 4, 2011) and I'm still using this conditioner (and the System 1 Clenser). I had lost so much hair around the crown of my face and top of my scalp that I looked like I was going bald (In my early 20's!). After about 4 months there were little hairs sprouting up in the places where my hair had thinned. Whole sections of hair were growing back. As it got longer I actually had to get side swept bangs because it looked like I had a 3 year old try to give me bangs in the front...lol

I haven't had a problem with dry scalp again. Nioxin is still the best shampoo/conditioner combo I have ever owned. The improvements are completely noticeable, and I couldn't be happier.

on 8/1/2010 1:52:00 PM

I got this entire system to try as a sample. Just tried it for the first time today, and immediately fell in love. I wasn't too crazy about the scent (not bad.. but meh...) As soon as I rinsed out the shampoo, my hair felt smoother. Which is saying a lot bc usually my hair feels like straw in between the shampooing and conditioning phase. The conditioner bottle was abotu half the size of the shampoo so i tried to use a small amount... didn't glob it on like other brands, and you know what? that tiny amount worked better than a cup of suave would've. hair totally felt like silk. it was super easy to brush out with the scalp treatment. and the smell is actually growing on me. it's kind of a winter/sweet mint.

on 6/24/2010 6:11:00 PM

This feels so good on your scalp (tingly) and to me it has seemed to repair damage from styling as well. This and the Nioxin shampoo for natural hair is the best shampoo/ conditioner system I have ever used. I really have noticed thicker, healthier hair. Really worth the money and IMO not as expensive as some high end salon brands with way better results, even if you don't have thin hair.

Ok it's been about a week and so far I'm rating this product a 5. I just took out my fused-in keratin wax extensions and along with the removal of the extensions, out came my real hair. I've struggled with regaining healthy hair pretty much my whole adult life. I was bleached platinum blonde for about 5 years and the only way to get my hair healthy again was Pureology. Now that my hair has actually fallen out, I am trying Nioxin step 3 system(for chemically treated hair). So I wash about every other day, condition everyday, and use the scalp therapy treatment every other day. So far it's good and I've noticed my hair feeling a lot more full and stronger, it's reasonably priced for me (as I use to pay about $100 for a liter of Pureology shampoo and conditioner) Wish me luck in my journey to full hair again! I'll update ya'll in a few more weeks....