August 31, 2014 | 1306 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No 5 Eau Premiere

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This perfume is the first "grown-up" perfume I fell in love with. I just got out of school and have always been on a budget so I've never had a chance to wear any high-end perfumes, especially since my mother was never so interested in fragrances, so there wasn't much to "borrow" from her, either. But I've always liked to smell nice! I used to really like the Pacifica French Lilac perfume, but Eau Premiere felt like a HUGE step in a more elegant direction for me. I know, it might not seem like much to write home about for a very particular connoisseur of perfumes, but I feel like if you're just starting to explore fragrances and like something classic and floral and light, then this is PERFECT. I actually first tried it as a sample I got in my Birchbox several months ago, and after I sprayed it on, I honestly felt more beautiful and elegant with it on. I mean, I had just gotten dressed and put my makeup on and felt pulled together, but the light touch of this perfume was just what I needed to step back from the mirror and feel beautiful. I also got like 3 guys' numbers that night, which hardly EVER happens to me. So I don't know WHAT this did but it was awesome and I immediately asked for this for my graduation present. I wear it all the time and it is the loveliest. I'm not as familiar with the original No. 5 and can't compare the two, but from what I understand, this is a variation that has a different vibe. I like how light and delicate it is, and while it doesn't last super long on my skin, a spritz or two once I notice it's fading refreshes it enough to last the rest of the day/night. I also think that, along with the fragrance itself being pretty, it also blends well with my particular skin chemistry. I even like it when I catch a whiff of it on my clothes randomly, it's one of those fragrances that is subtle enough to never be overpowering and to take a backseat sometimes, but then you notice it again just for a moment and think, "Oh, how pretty that is." That's how I like perfume to be, so this works perfectly for me.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 10:23:00 PM More reviews by stayce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I guess I'm right in Chanel's target audience, because I would wear this over the traditional No. 5. I notice much less of the aldehydes (not a fan), much more citrus, rose and jasmine, and kind of a coca-cola note. But: I wouldn't buy it in that giant, expensive bottle. If Chanel ever decided to make this and No. 19 EDT in a one-ounce bottle I would snatch them up, but until then I think I may hold off.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a really pretty softer version of No. 5 but its a very weak concentration. You have to spray several times throughout the day to get any pay off and so seems like a waste of money for such an expensive product.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2012 5:55:00 PM More reviews by kstone1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I gave all 5's and prefer this to regular no 5 all my girlfriends feel the same way. I bought it in 5 oz bottle before the smaller bottle came out. So I took my chances. I gave it the benefit of the doubt that I'd like it b.c I live in small town south Carolina. and had to order it from Nordstrom. Merci Chanel for creativity (ahem another word sometime about the Brad Pitt ad LOL)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by roomie97

this perfume is SO famous and known that i knew what i was getting and was going to pay for even before i decided to purchase it. i first thought this was a very baby-like scent and very sweet and fresh for me to wear daily, but as i used more and more, people commented that the perfume was getting quite heavy. Eek. i really love this perfume but than maybe its just a tad bit heavy for a sophomore like me to use :(

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 10:18:00 AM More reviews by SmellyFaerie

Let’s clarify one thing from the start: this is not a “change” in the concentration of the classic Chanel n.5. I wouldn’t even call it a flanker. It is a different scent, which retains the famous Chanel n.5 “signature” while, at the same time, revisits and updates it.

The question is “Did the most famous perfume in the world need an update?”. Some may say yes, others no, but the truth is that it at least deserved one. Chanel n.5 has it hordes of admirers, but it can be “too much” for some people (too much aldehydes, too much powder, just pick your poison). In my opinion, it is not something you can wear casually or in the heat of the summer. Some may say it is “dated” or “old fashioned”. I wouldn’t say that… but it may be too austere and hard to pull off. Anyway, let’s move to Eau Premiere.

Chanel n. 5 Eau Premiere is supposedly a more “wearable” version of the classic. I don’t know what exactly Chanel had in mind with its launching: appealing to the younger consumer or simply to people like me, who admire the beauty of Chanel n.5 but just can’t wear it . Anyway, Jacques Polge did a great job, by modernizing the classic without stripping it from all of its beauty.

Chanel n.5 Eau Premiere and Chanel n. 5 do share the same notes: aldehydes, neroli, bergamot, lemon, ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, iris, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla and amber. But the proportions make all the difference here, resulting in a new fragrance that still carries its “mother's” DNA.

In terms of notes, I’d say Eau Premiere starts off with more citrus and a bit of soapiness (not the aldehydes blast you get from the original) and dries down to a bright and sparkling floral, with a hint of woods. The woods here remind me more of Bois des Isles drydown than of Chanel n.5, by the way. The result is a smooth and friendly fragrance, without any rough edges or coldness. It is just like as if the cliff notes of the classic were captured, making it more delicate and lighthearted.

I would say it definitely feminine, elegant but not as uptight as Chanel n.5. The silage is moderate to big (depending on how much you apply) and I see it as a fragrance that can be worn all year round. The lasting power would be my only complaint: I don’t seem to get more than 4h of it on my skin, but just a little reapplying during the day solves the problem.

29 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2012 11:23:00 PM More reviews by Indianacaroline

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Extremely disappointing. My son tried to buy me a gift I would love. He is disabled and was fooled by Chanel's naming that is so close to the real thing. So he bought this fake stuff. Shame on Chanel!!!! This is not right. if you create a new product, don't palm it off with a classic name.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2012 9:13:00 PM More reviews by kmarisms41

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like the lightness of this perfume I use this everyday and the original Chanel no 5 for special occasions.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by cepauloar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is heavenly! Everything I love about the original no. 5 but better: smoother aldehydes, soft neroli, roses and ylang-ylang, dreamy powder plus a touch of refreshing sharp citrus. This is my definition of beauty.

Average sillage and longevity, for a Chanel, it could be better.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2012 11:05:00 PM More reviews by alissss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This was given to me as a present because I love the original No. 5 and I was of course worried I would not like it. Like many other reviewers stated, this is really well-done. A light enough for daily wear, modern counterpart to its older sister, Eau Premiere has the heart of the original No. 5 but is new and fresh all the same. Love it!