July 23, 2014 | 2198 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Define A Lash Volume Mascara

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2011 9:31:00 PM More reviews by grrrrrace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara during the CVS clearance for around $4. It's not a horrible mascara, but it certainly is not the best.

Though this mascara claims to be volumizing, it is more lengthening instead. This added very little volume to my lashes, but did seem to make them longer, which is kind of misleading, but interesting nonetheless. Also, though this claims to be a waterproof mascara, it certainly doesn't act like one.

The formula of this mascara is VERY wet for a waterproof mascara, but it does hold my curl pretty well throughout the day, which is surprising because I have stick straight Asian lashes that are hard to curl and hold. However, that being said, the wet formula of this mascara is what broke the deal for me - it smudges. A LOT. Within two hours, I have already developed crazy raccoon-like smudges under my eyes :( I know this mascara is the culprit because it is the only part of my makeup routine I changed, and I never had this problem before. Also, after applying two coats of this, my lashes stay wet for wayyy longer than I'd like, and it'll transfer on my lids or under my eyes fairly easily, like if I blink. It really takes a long time to dry... the formula is that wet.

I really wanted to like this mascara. I really like Maybelline's Full n Soft Waterproof, so I had high hopes for this one as well. Instead it's going in the trash, and I will not be repurchasing.

EDIT - 1/20/12 - I gave this another go... horrible idea. I never had a mascara that burned my eyes like this one did. Within a few hours, I felt like my eyes had acid in them, and they stung like crazy. After I stopped using this mascara, the burning stopped, so I can only attribute that to this mascara. STAY AWAY!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2011 5:36:00 AM More reviews by ascatterheart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The product itself is good. No smudges, no clumps, it looks natural. The smell, however, is really bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/5/2011 10:29:00 PM More reviews by shelbyrenaee

I have used this product numerous times and I always end up going back to it after trying other volume mascaras! After using it so many times I've learned how to get around its flaws but here are some pros and cons :)

PROS
-Lengthens (espcially if you wiggle it going up)
-Volumizes (after doing a couple coats and waiting for it to dry)
-Lasts me a couple months (that's good for me)

CONS
-Too much product on the wand when first used
-Clumping

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2011 6:57:00 PM More reviews by goldenpeach86

This is one of my favorite mascaras that I tried.It can tend to clump but if I comb the brush threw enough it doesn't look clumpy anymore.I can get my lashes to look real long with this and that I love.I am still on the hunt for a perfect mascara so I probably wouldn't buy this again but I do like it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 6:44:00 PM More reviews by JennyBean13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been looking at this mascara for a while and when I spotted it in TK Maxx (irish equivilent of TJ Maxx) for 3.99 I grabbed it.
At first I was totally diappointed with this mascara as it clumped horribly. This little thing takes some manovering. Take the brush out of the tube (for those saying it's hard to get out, it's a little tug for pity's sake :P) and wipe off the excess. Start from the very root of your lashes and go slowly to the top. Don't wriggle it from side to side - just go straight up or it will clump. It dries slowly so be careful if you want to apply other eye makeup, ideally apply the mascara last.
This is just how I found it works best. It really curls and volumizes quite well. I'll just say that I have long lashes and I don't think it would work very well on short lashes. I'd probably buy it again to get me by for a while if I ran out of my other mascara but it wouldn't be on the top of the list.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by AryBoooo63

I went to the store not really knowing what I wanted but the define-a-lash caught my eye. I saw there was a lengthening one and a volume one, but I have naturally long lashes so I didn't really want anymore length:) so I got the volume! I really like it. The brush reminds me if the Loreal Voluminous Million lashes brush and I have actually been looking for a brush like that :)
Pros:
No clumps
Nice brush
Defines
Volumizes - kindof.
Good natural mascara
Lengthens as well
No smudges

Cons:
The brush is hard to get in\out of the tube
Can't build up a dramatic look at all, but I'm alright with that :)
Made my eyelashes feel a little bit too stiff and brittle

But overall, this is a great mascara for my long eyelashes.

*************************Update********************
I've been using this for about a week now and I'm beginning to not like it D:
It's making my lashes really clumpy and it's about to run out (.22 fl oz.) that's not enough to last me a month. It's beginning to flake allover my face.
It's an alright mascara but I won't be buying again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2011 5:59:00 AM More reviews by Eshal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a good mascara if you are after a natural look. The lashes look defined and long as well for daily wear.
In case you want your lashes to be long and thick, apply two to three coats and it will add volume and curl to your lashes.
For me, its a good maskara and i will go for it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2011 12:19:00 AM More reviews by CuppycakeLover

This did nuthing for my long lashes! I have a little bit of volume so I like buying volume mascara. But this was like no volume at all I mite as well have but on nuthing!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2011 6:58:00 PM More reviews by jujudithjujudith

I think if you have long lashes this will work for you but i have small lashes and it clumped .

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2011 11:59:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

This is a good drugstore mascara for sure, but doesn't really volumize like it says. This is actually fine for me because I was being rushed by my friends at the store and got the volume define-a-lash instead of the lengthening one. Surprisingly this volumizing formula actually lengthens quite a lot and separates well. I'd say this is the best drugstore mascara I've tried outside the Rimmel brand.