August 20, 2014 | 2059 users online

Fragrances - Calvin Klein - Obsession

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by Shanplum

A super hot fragrance - by that I mean it shares a similar top note which I also find present in Giorgio Red, Toujours Moi and Christian Dior's Farenheit for men - its a warm almost estinguished candle note which reminds me of when a match has just been lit then blown out - this sounds weird but I love this smell and it is very sexy. This is a warm, sultry fragrance which will wear the owner if it doesn't suit their chemistry. On me it is a warm spicy number with an almost dried ginger type quality - though not in the christmas/festive season type of spice as there is no cinnamon/clove on my skin which stops it smelling like dentistry or a christmas pudding. It has a slight burnt caramel undertone and the citrus is more of an oriental mandarin than lemon (I cannot wear citruses as a rule) and dries down to a warm powdery incense in the style of Avon Imari but more oomph. Yes this does smell a tad dated - like an 80s jacket you just pulled out of the closet but in a good way a very original and beautiful perfume.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2012 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I still have my original kidney-shaped edp splash bottle from 1986. I also just received a recent 15ml edp. There is a slight difference and I mean so slight, it's negligible. The new formulation is lacking that distinctive stale note in the original. I don't miss it. The current formulation is fabulous and worthy of love. I've been wearing Obsession for 26 years and I still love it. Applied with a light hand it is absolutely bewitching.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2012 2:08:00 AM More reviews by ShellyMum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Green

I used to wear Obsession back in the early 90s. I loved it then and was given plenty of compliments when wearing it. I discovered it again in a bargain bin yesterday for a great price and thought I'd try it again. Well, I'm absolutely loving it. It is a lovely soft oriental fragrance on me. I agree with others in saying that it should be used sparingly (I used 2 sprays after my early morning shower and add another 1 spray mid afternoon). Wow, yum! It is a lovely, warm and cosy, slightly powdery, sweet (but not "Pink Sugar" sweet) ambery oriental. As far as the reformulation goes, I honestly haven't noticed anything negative in this new one I am wearing, and I normally dislike reformulation of scents. It is still as nice as I remember. I would completely recommend it to fans of oriental scents.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2012 12:34:00 PM More reviews by GRUDGRIME

I thought this product would have disappeared by now, but I smelled someone wearing it the other day and it nearly made me heave. My sister wore it in the 80's and I thought it smelled like sweat back then...guess what it still smells like a sweaty old sock (kindof like sweat + dirty feet).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2012 3:38:00 PM More reviews by sekhmet

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Strange how Obsession continues to be controversial so many years after it was created! I was around back then and I remember the incredible hype. And I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing it then because I was determined to be different.
About 20 years later, a couple of things happened that led to me buying Obsession. First, I visited a beautiful, beloved cousin and noticed she had a bottle of this in her bathroom (and it was about the only fragrance in there). Then, not too long after that, I found a bottle on clearance. I decided the perfume gods had spoken, so it's mine now.
It took me a while to actually wear this potent concoction, and I can't imagine wearing it every day. For me, it's a sort of Sacred Monster, which means it's beautiful, but it can bite your head off if you're not careful. And as for what it actually "smells like," that obviously depends on a lot of different factors. Is it sexy, as so many other reviewers have mentioned? I would say, not really--it seems more androgynous to me. There is even a musty or medicinal note in here that may be what some people interpret as old-fashioned. There are a couple of things that keep cropping up in the reviews that I can identify with. One: This fragrance seems to boost my confidence. And Two: DO NOT OVER-APPLY!
Finally, I find this scent addictive. I really enjoy smelling it evolve as I go through the day. It's like another aspect of my personality, that I didn't know was there until I found this perfume.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2012 8:55:00 AM More reviews by WaterQueene77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Good morning all! I thought you would get a kick out of this. I love Obsession and have worn it for years ... but I think my nose might be going blind to it a little. This morning I spritzed on a little too much and then went out for coffee with my best friend. The problems started as I reached across the counter for my iced coffee and corn muffin ... a gentleman waiting in line for his order recoiled. We sat down in the corner to eat and I thought the other patrons were giving us a wide berth ... on the other hand it might have been my imagination. On the way home, my friend closed her door and immediately gasped for air. "Oh my God! I give up!" She rolled down all the windows and exceeded the speed limit all the way back to my house. Now, mind you, it is February and my friend is always cold. When we arrived at my house she nearly threw me out of the car. "Babe, you have too much perfume on. Get out get out get out!" Well, how rude!

I love Obsession and will continue to wear it ... but apparently, one spritz is enough even for me.

Some other potent favorites are Shalimar, Opium, and Cinnabar and Spellbound by Estee Lauder. Also one-spritz perfumes.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2012 3:02:00 AM More reviews by Sambalina82

I'm on the fence with this one... Although I love orientals, I feel that for me this is a clothing scent not a skin scent. There is something dirty and animalic on the skin which I don't like at all, obviously the civet, which doesn't seem to develop on clothes. A classic, but not for me

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2012 3:41:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I'm honestly surprised by the crappy reviews for this. I don't recall the pre-reformulation juice, so I can't comment on it being better or worse. Although I admit the reformulations seem to be done to help "bottom line", meaning they cheapen the ingredients, so yeah i can see why it would ruin it for people who smelled the original version.

I own the current formulation and I like it a lot, it's an androgynous scent, for sure, if you dislike musky scents stay far away. But, I do like this MORE than opium and tabu, which are very similar. Obsession is lighter, has less incense and spice and more floral, so to me, or on me, it smells more feminine than the other two I just mentioned. I do like opium and tabu, I own them both, but I reach for this far more, it's just much easier to wear.

I can also see why people would find this "steely", I get a bit of that at first, but the dry down is very nice on me and the lasting power is amazing. A little goes a long way and for the amount you get, it is very affordable.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by rsmuskie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I used up my last bottle of the original from the late 80's. Then I bought a new bottle. I was horrified at what they had done to this once magnificent fragrance. I was so repulsed by the new juic ethat I promptly returned it to the dept store to see if I had gotten an old bottle. But no. It's been reformulated and as usual, the fragrance is ruined. For good. I haven't bought anything fragrance-wise in Calvin Klein for the past 10 years, and I probably won't be buying any in the future, if this reformulation of a former masterpiece is any indication as to where the future of perfume lies in this company.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2011 2:49:00 AM More reviews by worldtraveler05

Going through some of the reviews, I am wondering if I missed something, but I really like this scent. It was my go to scent for many years. Lately I've been more into the lighter perfumes, but I still use this one on occasion. I only have to use two light sprays and I am good for the entire day (or if the shirt isn't dirty and isn't washed right away, the smell stays on it after that day even). I think it can be way too heavy and horrible if you marinate in it, but I don't use much, just enough to be enjoyable. I've gotten quite a few comments on it too...

I recommend it and would buy it again when mine runs out