Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 10/19/2012 5:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My heart skipped a beat as I sniffed it again at a local drugstore: ah, memories... I always seem to tie the fragrances I wear to the memories linked to those times, so I have been always using scents as a mindmap, and this one leads me back to a stormy irish winter spent in Cork once upon a life, full of misty enigma-filled early mornings ( there's something almost supernatural about that time of the day at that time of the year in Ireland, I swear), soul-searching afternoons and heartbreaking love stories. This fragrance is not for someone who is enjoying an easy ride: it's a fighter scent, with a butch quality in it wonderously blended with the quintessential animalistic sensuality: wearing Obsession is like turning up on lover's doorstep wearing a rough wool coat over a stark naked body - that's exactly how nerve-wrecking and arousing this is: by being so rough it makes one feel extremely fragile under it!! Wool biting at the skin, whiskey unfolding its warmth in your mouth, fighting for the last square of bitter chocolate with best friends while cosying up in front of a fireplace, bone-chilling winds roaring outside almost sweeping stranded passers-by off their feet - that's the direction in which my emotions take flight when I sniff it. Amber, pine, moss, almonds all thrown into the pot and given a rough shake. After the drydown it does settle into a calm dense aura, but you smell it and just know that the storm is coming, because it has so much promise in it! Very unique - not like Opium at all, way more sensual and feminine imo. Alas, the plastic cap looks rather cheap, the bottle itself is sleek and rather masculine. Since there's very little sugar there it is probably appropriate and suits those rough qualities of the contents. When it comes to the name - it happened to have translated quite literally into my life: fell for a guy from work head over heals while wearing this, felt an almost compelling pull towards him, and it took me more that a year to shake off the spell, especially after I had a cold chill running down my spine when I saw a bottle of Obsession for men sitting on his bathroom shelf and thought: wow, talk about living up to the name of the perfume you've chosen...

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Obsession = instant headache. I don't think it smells bad so to speak, just TOO MUCH.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

Calvin Klein's Obsession does remind me of the 80s, I must admit. My mom gave this one to me, because she knows I love having quite a perfume collection. It does have its own distinctive scent, which to (amateur in talking about perfumes) is a very warm, almost overtly sexual, gourmand fragrance. If I just use one spray, it lasts for a long time and really isn't too off-putting. However, any more than that, I can see that this would be incredibly cloying. It's definitely more of a wintry type scent. Not really my thing, but nonetheless, it will retain its place on my shelf, at least for now.

I bought the newer formualtion 2011 ...don't believe all the hype surrounding the past ones! Really if you can get a current one from a reputable retailer. Anyways, this is a lovely vanilla/ smoke/ powder mix which opens with a green pine-ish note. That last one sounds horrific but it's really not that bad in the mix (looked it up - that green note is oakmoss).

A lovely cooler weather/ night time fragrance. Really cozy seductive. I can see how it was abused in the eighties though. One spray people! then rub around where ever (that thing about bruising fragrance is a myth - you cannot alter it's make up in any way!)

Men seem to like it too and nowadays not many people under 25 are wearing it score! Not at all overly sweet, gourmand in a staright from the kitchen pantry way with the vanilla blending beautifully with the musk Sexaaaay!!!

on 5/12/2012 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

A super hot fragrance - by that I mean it shares a similar top note which I also find present in Giorgio Red, Toujours Moi and Christian Dior's Farenheit for men - its a warm almost estinguished candle note which reminds me of when a match has just been lit then blown out - this sounds weird but I love this smell and it is very sexy. This is a warm, sultry fragrance which will wear the owner if it doesn't suit their chemistry. On me it is a warm spicy number with an almost dried ginger type quality - though not in the christmas/festive season type of spice as there is no cinnamon/clove on my skin which stops it smelling like dentistry or a christmas pudding. It has a slight burnt caramel undertone and the citrus is more of an oriental mandarin than lemon (I cannot wear citruses as a rule) and dries down to a warm powdery incense in the style of Avon Imari but more oomph. Yes this does smell a tad dated - like an 80s jacket you just pulled out of the closet but in a good way a very original and beautiful perfume.

on 4/27/2012 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I still have my original kidney-shaped edp splash bottle from 1986. I also just received a recent 15ml edp. There is a slight difference and I mean so slight, it's negligible. The new formulation is lacking that distinctive stale note in the original. I don't miss it. The current formulation is fabulous and worthy of love. I've been wearing Obsession for 26 years and I still love it. Applied with a light hand it is absolutely bewitching.

on 4/18/2012 2:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I used to wear Obsession back in the early 90s. I loved it then and was given plenty of compliments when wearing it. I discovered it again in a bargain bin yesterday for a great price and thought I'd try it again. Well, I'm absolutely loving it. It is a lovely soft oriental fragrance on me. I agree with others in saying that it should be used sparingly (I used 2 sprays after my early morning shower and add another 1 spray mid afternoon). Wow, yum! It is a lovely, warm and cosy, slightly powdery, sweet (but not "Pink Sugar" sweet) ambery oriental. As far as the reformulation goes, I honestly haven't noticed anything negative in this new one I am wearing, and I normally dislike reformulation of scents. It is still as nice as I remember. I would completely recommend it to fans of oriental scents.

on 4/17/2012 12:34:00 PM

I thought this product would have disappeared by now, but I smelled someone wearing it the other day and it nearly made me heave. My sister wore it in the 80's and I thought it smelled like sweat back then...guess what it still smells like a sweaty old sock (kindof like sweat + dirty feet).

on 3/9/2012 3:38:00 PM

Strange how Obsession continues to be controversial so many years after it was created! I was around back then and I remember the incredible hype. And I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing it then because I was determined to be different.
About 20 years later, a couple of things happened that led to me buying Obsession. First, I visited a beautiful, beloved cousin and noticed she had a bottle of this in her bathroom (and it was about the only fragrance in there). Then, not too long after that, I found a bottle on clearance. I decided the perfume gods had spoken, so it's mine now.
It took me a while to actually wear this potent concoction, and I can't imagine wearing it every day. For me, it's a sort of Sacred Monster, which means it's beautiful, but it can bite your head off if you're not careful. And as for what it actually "smells like," that obviously depends on a lot of different factors. Is it sexy, as so many other reviewers have mentioned? I would say, not really--it seems more androgynous to me. There is even a musty or medicinal note in here that may be what some people interpret as old-fashioned. There are a couple of things that keep cropping up in the reviews that I can identify with. One: This fragrance seems to boost my confidence. And Two: DO NOT OVER-APPLY!
Finally, I find this scent addictive. I really enjoy smelling it evolve as I go through the day. It's like another aspect of my personality, that I didn't know was there until I found this perfume.

Good morning all! I thought you would get a kick out of this. I love Obsession and have worn it for years ... but I think my nose might be going blind to it a little. This morning I spritzed on a little too much and then went out for coffee with my best friend. The problems started as I reached across the counter for my iced coffee and corn muffin ... a gentleman waiting in line for his order recoiled. We sat down in the corner to eat and I thought the other patrons were giving us a wide berth ... on the other hand it might have been my imagination. On the way home, my friend closed her door and immediately gasped for air. "Oh my God! I give up!" She rolled down all the windows and exceeded the speed limit all the way back to my house. Now, mind you, it is February and my friend is always cold. When we arrived at my house she nearly threw me out of the car. "Babe, you have too much perfume on. Get out get out get out!" Well, how rude!

I love Obsession and will continue to wear it ... but apparently, one spritz is enough even for me.

Some other potent favorites are Shalimar, Opium, and Cinnabar and Spellbound by Estee Lauder. Also one-spritz perfumes.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Popular Fragrances