Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 10/28/2014 7:30:00 PM

In a nutshell, Biotin makes me breakout like crazy (it starts slow and gets severe within a few weeks), does nothing for my nails (a good quality fish oil and zinc, on the other hand...), and the only hair that it seems to help grow is the hair on my upper lip. Beware. It is also known as vitamin B7, and is found in B-complex supplements.

Other supplements to try first for your Hair, Skin and Nail health:
Now Foods Ultra Omega-3 (I recommend this one in particular because it's inexpensive, potent, and rates high for purity)
MSM
Zinc Picolinate
A+D (from cod liver oil, benefits skin)
Borage Oil

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I've been taking biotin (the CVS brand); 5000 mcg daily (once or twice I took two capsules) for a little over a week now. So far, I haven't noticed any difference in skin or hair (but it's probably a little too soon to notice a difference). However, I have not gotten any acne. I'm thinking if I don't get a bump with the upcoming week, I should be in the clear. Maybe because I'm just not acne prone or because of the other supplements I'm taking. Here is my routine of supplements: vitamin E, vitamin C, fish oil and collagen (which I just started taking a few days ago).

I drink, on average about 3-4 16.9oz bottles of water a day, which is a little under the recommended amount but I've got to leave room for a soda and a cocktails on weekends...lol. I'm 41 yrs old and in pretty decent health.

I'm hoping to strengthen my hair in order to encourage a little thickness and growth. My youngest sister has been taking both biotin and collagen since January 27th and OMG...has her hair grown in length and has gotten so thick. Our own mother thought she added hair extensions. Needless to say, me, my mom and two other sisters have started this same regiment. I'll update this post as time progresses for us all.

on 8/28/2014 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'll start off by saying I stopped taking this after 6 weeks due to an acne explosion. On my forehead, cheeks, chin, chest, and back. I don't typically break out in that quantity, especially on my forehead and back, and I've discontinued taking 5,000's + e gummies (hair skin and nails) for ~2 wks, and have noticed a huge improvement. I drink a lot of water due to a low carb diet, but that didn't seem to help.

I was taking this supplement to help with hair loss due to hypothyroid, as well as growing out my pixie. I don't think I took this long enough to see any hair improvement, but I did notice stronger and quicker growing nails. That was awesome, but not enough to make up for the skin issues.

on 8/23/2014 2:21:00 AM

I am taking this 5000 mg dissolving tablet on the advice of my podiatrist to strengthen my toenails because of a perennial fungal infection that has survived multiple bouts of oral anti fungal Rx (it clears up but never permanently and I worry about my liver function) and has spread, albeit slowly to other nails. My toenails also bruise easily as Drs have said my feet look like a long-distance runner's-not so from the ankles up, but I digress. I have had no negative effects such as mentioned by others here. My fingernails seem to have benefitted most in terms of speed of growth but I have seen no improvement elsewhere. It's only been 6 weeks so I will continue and see. These were on sale at Costco for $12 which seems a little much but I take this with the even more costly Sustanex chewy probiotics $20 as a treat. Boy that seems pretty sad, no?

on 8/22/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I've been taking biotin for about a month now, and while my nails are certainly growing faster, they haven't really been any stronger. My hair grows pretty quickly so it was hard to tell if it's had any effect.

I'm going to finish the bottle - another month's worth - and update my review then, but so far I'm not convinced. I'll probably just switch to a multivitamin that contains biotin (if I can find one that agrees with me) instead of buying an entirely different supplement just for this.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love Biotin!! I take the 5000 mcg quick dissolve tablets and I love them. I have been taking them daily now for 2 months and have seen about 3 inches of new growth ( I know because I have been keeping track after I cut my over processed hair) My bf has even noticed the difference in how full my hair has gotten. It's made my nails really healthy because when I started I had just taken off acrylics and my nails were so thin now they are hard as a rock! As far as acne, I have really bad acne prone skin so I made sure to drink tons of water and have not seen anything abnormal as far as my skin goes but I do think the key is to drink lots of water:)

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Biotin is best for me as long as I'm drinking only water mostly....& eating pretty healthy. otherwise it can cause cystic acne. I've had that problem in the past when I was taking 5000 mcg. but now I drink lots of water & my skin is clear. (& now taking 5000 mcg with no issues). My roots have grown out a lot since March so it's obviously working to make my hair grow pretty fast even if I don't think it is lol... I will take this for life! Oh and my previously weak nails are really strong now. (but I also stopped biting them for the first time in my 24 years of life).

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

My hair starting falling out and thinning out at the top. I started using biotin (GNC brand). It worked amazingly. I still take it now and will continue to take the vitamin. I did hear people say this can cause break outs, it hasn't for me. I also don't feel it has caused hair growth in unwanted places (like the face). As for nails I feel like it makes them grow faster but I have healthy nails to begin with. I would recommend biotin to anyone suffering from hair loss.

on 8/5/2014 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I haven't tried this particular brand of biotin. However, I've been using nature's bounty 5,000mg biotin pills twice a day so basically I'm taking 10,000. I have to say I'm really shocked at the negative reviews this product has done wonders for my hair! its grown very long (mid-back) within 5 months and also improved the overall health of my hair! I love it.

on 8/2/2014 12:53:00 AM

acne really really bad acne. plus my hair didnt grow any faster or look any better. i basically paid for acne.

Popular Treatments