April 19, 2014 | 1184 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been taking the 5000 mcg caps and I've definitely noticed my hair growing quicker (still grows sloooowly but it's improved), and, mostly, my NAILS!! I'm growing out natural nails damaged by that gel stuff and they are halfway grown out already! What have you got to lose, try it! Oh ... Take with a multi vitamin for full absorption! I'm also taking omegas in the form of flaxseed capsules.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2014 6:22:00 PM More reviews by nekkun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ah, biotin...supposedly a miracle for nails & hair. If only this were the magic pill that could solve all our problems! I've been taking this product for over two months now ( 1000mcg pill 2x a day) and have had zero results. My nails continue to peel off like stickers and my hair hasn't grown/thickened in any noticeable way. My hair grows super slowly, so trust me, had there been any difference I would've noticed. I don't know if it's been too short a period to notice any difference, but I thought for sure I'd see some change in my nails! I suppose I should be grateful that I didn't break out in cystic acne. Will not repurchase. Time to put in effort and eat more protein/moisturize my nails with vaseline...sigh...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 2:24:00 PM More reviews by lwd01915

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've always had thin, baby fine and straight hair. Now that I'm 56, it's even thinner (you know, menopause and all that). Over the years, I have tried every product, styling tool, etc (or so it seems) that makes claims to add body to your hair but none worked. I finally asked my doctor and my hair dresser and both said "Biotin" and my hair dresser never recommends products and my doctor (male) wouldn't know of anything but something that worked so I started it 2 months ago and noticed that my hair was growing faster. It also is thicker near the scalp which would only make sense since it's only been a short time. I notice it but, again, it's too soon for others but they don't examine my scalp like I do! The best part is that Biotin is Biotin (according to my doctor and webmd.com). And there are little to no bad side effects so it's a win-win in my book. I would never usually write a review after such a short time but, again, I can see that my scalp has more hair. It's also supposed to harden your nails but too soon to see that.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2014 2:18:00 PM More reviews by confusedblonde86

I have been taking biotin for a few years now and believe it has contributed positively to my skin. I notice a difference in my hair as well, both that it grows faster and seems shinier. I did not break out from biotin, but I drink a ton of water (6+ litres) daily. The results from taking biotin are not so miraculous that I would risk taking it if I knew I could break out from it... Use with caution if you have sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 1:28:00 PM More reviews by xoxokkmarie

I am currently taking a biotin gummie that I found at my local Wal-Mart.
It is called Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Hair, Skin, And Nails gummy.
Has biotin, vitamin C and E! It came with 80 supply of vitamins. They taste like strawberries so that is a plus! I take them every night before bed (says to take 2) for a month and I have already noticed a significant change in my hair and nails! skin, not as much. I do notice that my skin is less oliy and has been clearer but nothing amazing or dramatic. For the hair and nail results, OMG. I Have never taken a biotin product so powerful. My nails before were dry, cracking and always breaking off. Now, They are hard as rocks! And I cannot believe the amount of hair growth i have had. Love this product and will be repurchasing soon! :)

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2014 3:30:00 PM More reviews by ncashen

I have been using the oral supplement (tablet form) of biotin for about one year. I have super fine wavy hair that is prone to dryness, frizziness, split ends, and breakage. I thought using this affordable supplement was worth a try. I use the Natrol brand in the 1000 mcg dose.

I take it with food. Some multivitamins contain biotin. So you may not even need a separate supplement to get the benefits. The product is said to strengthen nails and/or hair by improving keratin "infrastructure." Keratin is a protein in hair, skin and nails.

I would say taking this product regularly for several months did improve the strength and appearance of my hair. My hair is color-treated and exposed to heat styling tools 4-5 times per week. I wash it every other day with a mild shampoo and then condition. I use a silicone-free shampoo, because silicone products tend to build up on my hair leaving it weighed down and lifeless.

I don't see any research data that shows biotin will speed hair growth. I haven't experienced accelerated hair growth when taking biotin. I think brushing my hair with a Mason Pearson brush at night aids growth, because it stimulates circulation in my scalp and distributes natural oils (sebum) to the ends of my hair. I believe the natural oils help to protect and strengthen the ends of my hair.

My fingernails are also thin. They tend to get small splits on the surface.I have seen little change in my nail health when using biotin.

I've read that there are negative side effects if a person takes too much biotin. It can lower your body's levels of other vitamins, among other things. So be careful not to exceed recommended dosages. Ask your doctor or a qualified health professional about taking biotin. Be aware of how much biotin is in your multivitamin, and take that into consideration before taking the supplement on its own.

Brewer's yeast, whole grains, eggs, dairy, and broccoli are good sources of biotin. I always try to get desired nutrients from food as well as supplements.

There's no magic pill for long healthy hair. I think you have to combine several healthy habits to make your hair its best.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by wheeeuu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I started taking this about a year ago (5mg per day) and have since stopped because it was making my hair grow too fast and it was becoming a pain to have to dye my roots every month! Definetly made my hair and nails stronger and shinier. Suprisingly didn't break me out either cause usually my skin is rather nuts. Works great for some people, not great for others. I do think its worth giving a shot!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2013 11:54:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Breakout alert: I've been taking 10mg a day with loads of water for ten days and my skin has just started to rebel massively. I woke up this morning with cystic acne in places I never normally break out - under my eyes??! I've come to the conclusion that it's probably Biotin as it's the only major change I've made to my skincare/diet recently. I'm reducing the dose to half this amount taken every two days and I'll report back in a few weeks. Watch out MUA'ers!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2013 2:48:00 AM More reviews by amandarud08

Since I damaged my hair, back in Feb 2013 and was a short pixie hair cut, my hair is finally 11 inches long (covers my ears) I took biotin at least 5 times a week.

Didn't break out into cyst acne or had any problems.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/19/2013 1:33:00 AM More reviews by tayodea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Here's my quick recommendation ladies & gents: If you plan on taking Biotin, please be prepared to drink water by the second!!! Biotin is very potent and can cause terrible cystic acne if you don't take them properly. If you want luscious hair, glowing skin and healthy nails, just take multi-vitamins.