August 1, 2014 | 913 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by olivialoaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My hair was falling out due to hypothyroidism. I took 1000mcg of biotin a day- I couldn't find higher doses available in Canada. This product stopped my hair loss and my hair and nails began growing very fast. Note that other hair seemed to also grow- my eyebrows ended up looking like old-man eyebrows. I was ecstatic about these results as dealing with hair loss was very emotional.

However, I broke out with horrible cystic acne. I've always had great, compliment-receiving skin. I developed huge cysts in the middle of my cheeks that took MONTHS to go away. Very embarrassing, painful and virtually impossible to cover.

I drank a huge amount of water, tried various acne products, and keep in mind I was taking a much lower dose of Biotin compared to other reviewers. Biotin is obviously very powerful but might cause side effects.

Ultimately I decided I could deal with mediocre hair to keep my clear skin. I take 500mg of biotin only about once a week now and my skin and hair look great.

I would be very cautious about taking huge doses of any supplement, especially without professional advice.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by yasminamo

Biotin did wonders to my hair. It made it longer, shinier, and prettier. However, it made me break out like CRAZY. I am not the only one this has happened to you can look it upÖ It's so sad because the product is wonderful but has terrible side effects. Once I stopped taking Biotin my acne went away. Such a shame!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by maca7

Why I love it:

I decided to try Biotin as a way to make my hair grow faster and it has worked like a charm! I am taking the maximum strength tablets (10, 000mcg). I canít say if it has made my hair stronger, as my hair is generally healthy and I make sure I take good care of it by using a variety of conditioners and leave-in serums, but my hair seems to be more resilient to heat damage from styling tools and less prone to breakage.

My nails are also growing faster than usual and are no longer breaking as easily.
Some reviews mention that biotin may cause you to break out, but I havenít noticed any extra break outs.

Biotin regulates energy metabolism and helps stabilize blood sugar levels, so an added perk is having more energy and being less susceptible to low blood sugar.

Things to keep in mind:

It is important to keep in mind that there is no magic pill to make your nails and hair grow strong and shiny overnight. There are a variety of nutrients you need to keep your hair and nails healthy, such as zinc, magnesium, vitamin A and folic acid. Supplements can help you improve your intake of those nutrients, but they can't substitute a healthy diet.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Camz26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE THIS!! it makes my hair so strong and it is growing. I take 5000mcg a day anytime i feel like it and it works. the price is great wait until they are on sale !

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Prior to taking this I read that one cause for the breakouts could be due to the fact that taking high doses of biotin drives down B5 levels in your body.

I started taking 600 mcg of Biotin with 5000 mcg of B5. After 1 week with no breakouts I upped the dose for the Biotin to 1200 mcg (one capsule in the morning, 1 at night). Still no breakouts. So I tried upping the dose to 2400 mcg (2 in the morning, 2 at night) but I started breaking out, even with the B5 supplement so for myself, the highest I think I can take is 1200-1800 mcg.

In terms of the results I've seen with my skin, after the second week my eczema started to clear and people at work commented on how radiant my skin looked which is a bonus. I read that people who suffer from dermatitis and eczema may be due to a biotin deficiency so that may be why since taking the supplements my dry skin and eczema have improved. I'm not cured but I've been having less flares, especially on my face.

I've been taking all of this for a little over a month and the biggest improvement has been my skin and nails. I haven't noticed any changes to my hair in terms of it speeding the growth but that may be due to the fact that I am taking a lower dose. I'll definitely keep taking this since it's improved my skin so much. I would say if you suffer from dermatitis or eczema it's worth a shot trying this out, for me it's worth taking the vitamins as this beats having to use steroid creams to control my flares. My advice would be to start with a low dose and gradually increase it to see how your skin reacts to the vitamins. And as previous reviewers have stated drink plenty of water. I aim for 3 liters a day.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 2:06:00 PM More reviews by prettyinpinknwhite

I've been using biotin off and on for years--a lot of horse people use it to strengthen their horses' hooves, so I figure if it's good enough for horses it's good enough for me too. I've been taking it because I want to grow my hair out and I haven't noticed much difference with that, but I do feel like it makes my nails grow really fast . . . which is a little unfortunate because I like short nails lol! I also feel like my nails are stronger than they used to be. I once read in Allure that biotin only works for hair growth if you have a deficiency, but apparently my dermatologist recommended it to my brother for hair growth (poor kid is balding at 20), so I guess your mileage may vary. I'll probably keep taking it because I haven't had any bad reactions, so the worst thing that could happen is nothing, and it isn't too much trouble to pop a pill once a day if it might be helpful.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by Sp6

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Like everyone else I had heard how amazing this was supposed to be! For me personally this did not work, my nails were still brittle and my hair did not grow, alongside this I developed acne! I wouldn't recommend this, and I certainly won't buy again! Disappointed :(

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2014 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Arrosynn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

SO I had hear from so many people and websites and everything that Biotin is an excellent agent for helping your hair and nails grow. I never need help with my nails growing, they grow really fast, and really strong.. but my hair, literally doesn't grow at all. I've tried everything short of shaving my head and letting my hair grow back naturally.

Went out and got some Biotin, I can't even remember how much it was but it wasn't entirely cheap considering most vitamins aren't. So anyway, i've been taking two pills a day for literally three years... and there has never ever been a difference in my hair growth or quality. Such a rip off, I don't even know why I continued to use it for so long!

-Disappointed...

rated 2 of 5 on 2/17/2014 8:12:00 AM More reviews by LunaIsABear

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product seems to work for a lot of other people, and I think it depends entirely on how your body works, and how it reacts to certain chemicals. Mine didnt react too well, and after only 3 pills (one a day) i broke out in acne in really weird places, like my back and shoulders. Stopped taking these immediately, as I've never had acne and don't intend to start now!

I'd suggest trying them, because you never know, and just stop if *negative* symptoms occur :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 9:50:00 AM More reviews by StacyMom4Real

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

One thing you ladies (and perhaps gents) must rememeber is that when you take supplements of any kind you must drink plenty for water. This is especially true i the case of biotin because lack of adequate water consumption can lead to to break out of the face and even other parts of the body such neck and back.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No