September 23, 2014 | 1778 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by Adi96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

To all who are reading all the mixed reviews about this wonderful product, hear me out. This product is AMAZING. Seriously. It strengthens your hair, nails, AND even benefits the skin. However, here is the catch. I strongly suggest that anyone who does not seek medical advice prior to starting a biotin regimen take only 300 mcg of biotin a day. Also, biotin works in conjunction with other vitamins and minerals such as zinc. If you intake enough zinc along with it, you will have great results. I initially did have acne/cystic acne as a result of misusing biotin, however, after researching and discussing the matter with dermatologists, I now am having great results with it :) If you are willing to change your diet or incorporate zinc into your vitamin regimen, then get ready for stronger, healthy hair, nails and skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2014 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Berniemdosi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have read a lot of reviews in regard to biotin and here is my honest opinion. I am currently on Natrol Biotin 10mg. The reason I am taking this supplement is that I want to have natural long hair as you know men tend to loose their hair with age to an extend of balding.
The first two weeks have been amazing and results so tremendous! Before I started using this product, I could see a few graying strands. After the said time in question; I can literally see the gray bit extended and black strand to the scalp! meaning no more grey hair.

Secondly, Taking biotin has incredibly enhanced my digestion and no more blotted feeling. there is the tendency to feel thirsty hence more water intake. My energy level is second to none. I feel strong and my appetite has improved. My digestion system has improved so well that I feel me once more.

With my body full of energy, my sleep has just gotten better. About the nails I can say they are much stronger and no more chipping off.

So to those complaining of acne, my advice to them is to try and get enough rest. Take fluids not necessarily water and remember energy not put to use is could cause irritation and that may trigger skin conditions not to mention acne.

But remember to oil your scalp adequately with a good quality hair oil. personally I use castor oil from authentic oil co.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 4:08:00 PM More reviews by missmelodya

so i took biotin (in a multivitamin - only 100% RDA) for over 3 years. in those 3 years, i thought the culprit for my cystic acne was the mini pill. while i'm sure the mini pill did not help things, it was last week when i was informed BIOTIN was causing my cystic acne! this was news to me.

biotin caused my heart rate to increase dramatically - pretty incredible considering i am a non-smoking, incredibly fit (exercise daily) person. it triggered severe panic attacks off the back of heart palpitations - i really thought i was going to die. in speaking with my doctor about this last week (after blowing into his office without an appointment convinced i was having a heart attack) i was informed this is not an unusual side effect (among many others apparently) and instructed to discontinue use immediately. have been bedridden for days recovering from the coronary stress biotin use caused. do not even get me started on the migraines. if you have a history of heart disease in your family and/or are prone to migraines, do not take this stuff. it is not worth the risk.

my face is still going through it, it looks like it is starting to clear up now but a few cysts are coming to the surface. not sure if this is the skin "purging" below the skin cysts caused by 3+ years of daily biotin use, but i've already noticed my skin looking younger since quitting. i swear to yall this stuff aged my skin, and all this time i thought it was progesterone. my dark undereye circles are becoming much less prominent and my limbs no longer tingle at whim.

people will say "you need to drink more water!" well, according to medical professionals, no amount of water consumption makes biotin universally safe for everyone to use, at any microgram amount. while i do not negate biotin works for some people, it is not a cure-all for everyone. in fact, for some, it does far more harm than good.

on the plus side, it did cause my hair to grow incredibly fast. 4 inches of new growth in less than 3 months. my hairdresser was shocked. sadly biotin made absolutely no difference whatsoever to my nails, i do wish i'd gotten that benefit from it as others have.

if you intend to take biotin and have a history of migraines, heart disease, stroke, TIAs, heart attacks, heart murmur, or any coronary issues at all in your family, please speak with your doctor before use. i wish i had.

ETA: to those who have downvoted my review, i can only assume you've done this because you disagree with what i have posted about biotin. my review is fair, expressing both positives and negatives based on my personal experience, and even provides verified medical information from actual medical professionals for others who have a history of heart/coronary issues in their lives/family. i realise the content of my review may not be popular amongst the sea of rave reviews but i only posted all of this to tell others with similar health concerns to be mindful and speak to their doctor before taking biotin, as there are no warnings on the labels of these products.

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by chimera59

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this after reading rave reviews for using it for nail growth, as my nails are typically weak and peeling and I often get painful horizontal breaks in the quick of my nails. I started taking this and about a week in, I started to get acne all over me chin. I normally don't have any breakouts. It then became cystic acne which took a really long time to clear up. Maybe this works for some, and I wonder if the correlation with acne has anything to do with hormones and the individual. Needless to say, I won't be trying this again and I'm just sticking with nail treatment products instead of supplements.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2014 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Kittyaddict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I had read all of the horror stories about cystic acne breakouts due to biotin, but I was growing out henna and so desperate for faster hair growth that I thought I would take a chance and give it a go anyway, and man was I sorry! Despite drinking copious amounts of water, within 3 days my skin erupted into a horrible mess, and it took about 3 weeks to clear once I stopped taking it. This has caused me to go off vitamins and supplements altogether. I'll get my nutrients from good food, thank you very much. Other than fish oil and minerals, I will stay well clear!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2014 6:24:00 PM More reviews by pictureperfect09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been taking biotin on its own or within a hair, nails, and skin complex for over 2 years now. I figure by now I should have a solid opinion about it, and the more I think, the more I have realized I've only kept taking it still hoping to get the awesome results it seems other people have experienced.

From my experience, I can't say that taking it long term will be a miracle worker for you. My nails haven't become noticeably stronger and my hair seems nice and soft, but I have been less harsh on my hair lately in general. I stopped taking it for a few of months, then went back to it and noticed no difference. It makes perfect sense that there are no studies that actually show biotin is proven to speed up hair or nail growth, yet I bought in to positive reviews to no avail. The only people who will definitely see an improvement from taking it are people who have a biotin deficiency. Also, most of the biotin vitamins I see at drugstores are super overpriced. Considering how much money I've pretty much money I've spent and how many bottles I've been through, if you're gonna go for it it's not worth it to pay a premium price for a brand name when a generic or sale product will do.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2014 12:03:00 AM More reviews by ksdjfklsdjf

I decided to try biotin supplements because I noticed my skin has been looking more dull and I've had some undereye bags. I was taking 1 pill a day of the Spring Valley brand (10,000 mcg with 100 mg Keratin). The first few days I noticed a glow to my skin and also noticed my nails and hair growing and getting stronger. I was very excited. However, after about another week I noticed I started breaking out on my chin (a place I never break out) and also was having severe bowel problems (which I also never have). This product is supposed to help with metabolism but it seemed to cause just the opposite for me. I felt very bloated and was in bed for a whole day due to a very ill stomach and diarrhea. To be fair, afterwards I realized you are supposed to drink a lot of water while taking these supplements. All I drink is water but perhaps I wasn't hydrating myself enough? All in all, the few benefits I received were nowhere near worth all the adverse side effects! Perhaps a different dosage and brand would have different results, but I will no longer be taking biotin supplements and would have to say that I would not recommend them to others.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by woobwoob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One side effect I hadn't heard anyone mention before I bought this is that it makes you really tired. I'd say within 15 minutes of taking it my eyes felt so heavy, like I'd been up all night or something. At first I thought I just wasn't getting enough sleep, but once I paid attention to it I realized it was this stuff.

I didn't take it for long enough to really notice any hair growth, although I did think my hair was looking shinier already. My nails grow fast normally so I didn't notice much there either. I bought the Sundown Naturals brand "Hair, Skin, and Nails" which contains 5000 mcg of biotin per serving, as well as quite a few other vitamins(including other B vitamins). I noticed a few small whiteheads but nothing ridiculous in terms of breaking out, and I could have been drinking more water so ultimately - aside from the extreme tiredness - it was just down to me getting into better habits while taking this.

I'm planning to continue taking them but I think I'll definitely need to take them right before bed, otherwise I can't stay awake.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by olivialoaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My hair was falling out due to hypothyroidism. I took 1000mcg of biotin a day- I couldn't find higher doses available in Canada. This product stopped my hair loss and my hair and nails began growing very fast. Note that other hair seemed to also grow- my eyebrows ended up looking like old-man eyebrows. I was ecstatic about these results as dealing with hair loss was very emotional.

However, I broke out with horrible cystic acne. I've always had great, compliment-receiving skin. I developed huge cysts in the middle of my cheeks that took MONTHS to go away. Very embarrassing, painful and virtually impossible to cover.

I drank a huge amount of water, tried various acne products, and keep in mind I was taking a much lower dose of Biotin compared to other reviewers. Biotin is obviously very powerful but might cause side effects.

Ultimately I decided I could deal with mediocre hair to keep my clear skin. I take 500mg of biotin only about once a week now and my skin and hair look great.

I would be very cautious about taking huge doses of any supplement, especially without professional advice.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by yasminamo

Biotin did wonders to my hair. It made it longer, shinier, and prettier. However, it made me break out like CRAZY. I am not the only one this has happened to you can look it upů It's so sad because the product is wonderful but has terrible side effects. Once I stopped taking Biotin my acne went away. Such a shame!