Paula's Choice All Bases Covered Foundation SPF 25

3.7

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (Light Cream: 12.67%; Nude: 12.4%; Sand: 12.18%; Wheat: 11.83%; Fawn: 11.14%). Other Ingredients: Water, Isohexadecane (thickener/texture enhancer), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Silica (absorbent silicone), Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate (skin conditioning agent), Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol (silicone emollient), Hexyl Laurate (emulsifier), Tocopheryl Acetate (antioxidant), Polysorbate 80 (thickener), Polyethylene (film-former/slip agent), Alumina (opacifying agent), Magnesium Sulfate (thickener), Aluminum Stearate (thickeners), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickener), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone-based emulsifier), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben (all preservatives). May Contain: Iron Oxides (mineral pigments).

on 4/8/2010 11:54:00 PM

Paula really needs to expand the color range of this product. In this day & age such a limited selection is almost shocking. Even I - a blonde! - couldn't find a color here that really worked for me.

Nude was a tad too light for the first hour, but warmed up a bit later and became acceptable. But in color products, honestly, I need near-perfect matches.

As with Paula's other color products, there's not a lot of coverage here, altho' it's the most coverage in her line. I would call it light-medium coverage. Spots or circles will require concealer.

It will even out your skintone nicely and take the edge off freckles, leaving a nice somewhat dewy but not too-much-so finish. The look is still quite natural on most people.

After the first 30 minutes, the product did feel a bit "heavy" on my chin, but that went away. I have combo skin, so I'm used to blotting, and that was the only time I blotted my chin all day. It didn't clog my pores or break me out at all.

It lasted a nice work day in a normal office environment over her HydraLight moisturizer. I liked wearing it and would buy it for spring and fall wear if she had more colors!

on 2/8/2010 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Paula claims that her foundation has no pink, yellow or orange undertones. I tried the Wheat shade and found it to be quite yellow. I really don't understand what is wrong with a foundation having a pink undertone if your skin has a pink undertone. This product also does not last very long at all. I love Paula's Choice skin products but am rather unimpressed with the makeup line she has out.

on 1/22/2010 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I like this foundation, the lightest shade works well on my skin tone, though I think Paula needs to improve on color choices for her foundations. It is very thick so I won't be using it in the summer but for the winter months it'll work fine on my combo skin.

on 1/16/2010 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I like this foundation. It is creamy and doesn't make me look like I just baked a cake on my face. It is fairly sheer but it is very buildable. It doesn't cause me to break out (the skin on my face is very sensitive to fragrances, the rest of my body isn't). I do have to use a separate concealer under my eyes but I have always done this regardless of the foundation I'm using. I also like the tube packaging because it is more likely to remain uncontaminated, unlike bottles that are havens for bacteria after only a few uses.
I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who wants heavy coverage since it's sheer to moderate depending on your application. Since my skin is dry I find the finish refreshing - not greasy and not cakey - and it stays in place during my work day without gathering into creases or "sliding". I probably would have to do a touch-up if I were going out after work, so it's not aces on long term durability.
It's a good, basic foundation with a non-irritating SPF15 and no fragrance and it's priced the same as what you would purchase at a drugstore. A little goes a long way with this one!

on 5/17/2009 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very dry skin - and always had issues with foundations making my face very dry. I agree that this foundation is not so good at covering up spots. But it does a good job of keeping skin soft and keeping skin tone even. I use concealer after applying this, and it has worked fine for me. My skin tone is fair, considering I am Asian, and I use sand color.

on 4/28/2009 10:08:00 PM

Quite disappointed with this foundation. I purchased a sample size in light cream. It appears heavy and thick in texture, but I found using either my fingers, sponge, or brush that the outcome is very very very sheer! It really did nothing to correct or conceal any skin discolourations, but it left my skin feeling hydrated & dewy, not dry. The only use I have for this is to use it as a base (instead of regular moisturizer) for my studio fix powder, it worked quite well. I do like that it has SPF, I think for me that is the only pro for me. If you are looking for a very sheer moisturizing product, I would recommend it. But for me I require a lot more coverage, therefore am grateful I trialed a sample size first before wasting my money.

on 2/22/2009 1:29:00 PM

Pros: no breakouts, moisturizing without shine or dewy finish, non chemical sunscreen, great colors for pale folks, tube packaging.
Cons: sheer finish, more tinted moisturizer than foundation,not much buildability. You will need a good concealer if you have anything to hide. No colors for other than pale to medium skins, for shame.

I've been on a quest to find a perfect foundation recently and got this along with some skincare items while placing my order with PC. I'm NC 15 and ordered it in Light Cream. Now, I have used some samples of this foundation when it first came out a few years ago and I remember it being quite decent. Well, this time around I found this product almost disastrous. I'm on Retin-A so my skin is quite dry and sensitive, and still very prone to breakouts. This has made my face a greasy mess. It accentuated every single dry patch (even the ones I never knew I had) and at the same time made me a shiny discoball by 9 am (!). Blotting barely helped because I would have had to blot every hour - oilies reappeared almost immediately. I have NEVER had oily skin but having experienced this foundation I can now understand the frustrations of other oilier-skinned gals on this board. So at least this has been educational :). I'm surprised that other reviewers found the coverage to be matte. I wonder if I got a bad batch or something?

Giving it 2 stars for a good color match and broad-spectrum sun protection. It also serves as a decent undereye concealer, and this is how I'm planning to use it up.

on 2/6/2009 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Doesn't oxidize. No pinkness!!! Titanium and zinc sunprotection is the best!!! Nice matte finish!! Love it, now if it would last 12 hours it would be 5 stars......

on 2/4/2009 12:28:00 AM

I love alot of Paulas products but foundation is not one of them. I prefer a fuller coverage so I got a sample of this in Wheat, which I think is close to NC25. I should have gone one shade darker but for winter this would be ok colour-wise.
Now, after i applied it, I didnt even feel like i needed to powder as it sets to a matte finish. But this is NOT full coverage. I would say it borders on medium, I applied two layers in order to cover some of my natural cheek redness. And as for blemishes or any other really bad things you may have on your face, you'd need a separate concealer on top of this.
I suspect most girls would like the coverage this gives, but with a name like "all bases covered" I simply expect more coverage. I wouldnt buy this again simply because I shouldnt have to apply 2 coats of foundation in order to get the coverage I want. In this case, its just not the right foundation for me. Although it feels beautiful once it sets and gives the skin a lovely satin matte finish and doesnt look dry. So I think its a great foundation but just not good enough for me.