L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

on 12/19/2013 11:01:00 AM

Oh my gosh where to start... Okay the (few) negatives.

It can get messy.
The gloves were a little small for my boyfriend's man hands, but we're used to this.
It doesn't smell great like my old favorite Garnier Nutrisse.

But THE COLOR was INCREDIBLE!!! It was exactly like the box.

*I used Light Amber Brown because after extensive bleaching the lower ends of my hair would turn green-grey from anything labeled "ash" or "neutral/natural".
*The color is vibrant and shiny and more like what the ads will make you expect from Feria (although I've never gotten these results with Feria...)
*This product did not irritate my scalp like SO many others I've tried over the years, and my hair feels soft. I sometimes get that dreaded stretchy melted plastic hair after coloring but not this time. And my hair has been bleached in the past so...

ANYWAYS the best part about this product was the shocking discovery I made about my hair. I have naturally dark blonde hair. It's mousey, ashy, and dingy which is why I began dying it in the first place. And you always hear "Stay close to your natural color, keep to your natural tone" so for years I've been using ash tones and staying away from warmer shades for fear of looking like a carrot....And while this worked well for my platinum hair which was NEVER brassy, once I got into the darker blondes and browns I realized my hair just looked DULL. And so in search of ends that do not turn green I bought this "amber" color. And omg... My skin looks amazing. My blue-grey eyes look amazing. I don't look weird and sallow and all this time I'd assumed since I'm naturally ashen haired I'd look bad with a red tint. I'm pale but not pink and I struggle to find makeup to suit but I never imagined this would work for me. My whole hair dye outlook is changed!!

on 12/12/2013 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have black hair and used the colour 5A medium ash brown. I don't think that the colour I ended up with was the same as on the packaging, but that's to be expected when you have dark hair like mine. It did do a very good job of dying my black hair without bleach, and the colour isn't as ash brown as I expected, but still a very nice colour. The colour didn't wash out when I showered.

My only complaint is the smell. The smell was very strong, stronger than most home dye kits.

on 12/5/2013 1:29:00 AM

It won't give you the colour that shows on, or at the back of the box. not even close! I have medium ash brown hair and the only reason I dye my hair is because of my grey hairs. I just used an "ash" shade of this hair colour to dye my roots and now my roots has an awful copper/red shine, and it doesn't look "ash" brown at all! It has orange undertone:(
I am so upset, and recommend you not to use this product at all! Don't even try it or you would regret like me.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

It's been about 2 months since the salon and my roots have grown about an inch. My hair was dark ash brown but my roots were black. I used the 7.5 medium ash blonde. I did the roots first and then the rest of my head. The whole process took up about an hour but this was not my first time dying my own hair so it may take longer for the first timers.

I am pleased with the results. The color matches what is on the box almost perfectly and my color is even all over. The damage was very minimal even though I went several shades lighter. I adore the big tube of conditioner that comes in the box.

I think this dye is a great value for what you get. I have very long hair so I used two boxes and they only cost $10 each. My color looks like it was done at a salon. Totally worth the $20.

on 11/5/2013 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I recently bought this in Paris Couture Iced Golden Brown 5CG. My hair is naturally a light auburn brown, but I have a lot of gray. My hair is very coarse, extremely thick, and tends to be dry. I am in LOVE with this color. It came out exactly like the front of the box, and is a beautiful light golden brown with some definite cooler tones. A bit messy/drippy, but not so bad I couldn't deal with it. I will definitely repurchase several boxes of this to keep in stock!

on 11/4/2013 10:33:00 PM

My hair is black and hard to dye (Asian hair), so when I saw a video on a L'Oreal hair dye and the youtuber used this brand with fantastic results, I decided to try it too. Usually I'll need a blonde hair dye to make my hair brown, but this time I chose the Light Natural Brown. First of all, when the developer and the color gel is mixed together, the chemical smell is horrific. My eyes stung and I had to keep my face away while mixing the dye. Revlon's $3 cheap dye never smelled this terrible. The dye is drippy but application process went relatively okay. After waiting for 35 minutes, I rinsed it out and used the conditioner. The results? ORANGE roots. I applied tips of my hair first and moved upwards, last on the roots, and this was how it turned out. It looked akin to the brassiness of 2-month-old dyed hair. The rest of my hair didn't hold the color at all. What a waste of 9 dollars.
I will go back to using blonde hair dyes from Revlon.

Two lippies because the conditioner is pretty good and there was a generous amount.

I had previously died my hair red, about four months prior to using this product. I bought a shade of brown, thinking it would look nice and was very close to my natural shade. However, I found it very messy to use and it had awfully strong fumes. Also my hair turned out a very dark purple, even though I followed all of the directions and it turned out the right colour in the sample test. After a week it still drips colour whenever it gets wet.

on 9/2/2013 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I would not buy preference again. about 10 min into dyeing my hair I felt sick and had to dye my hair outside because of its strong smell. It was also very drippy and made a mess. The color in the end was very close to how I wanted it, I got a medium brown but has golden tones from my previous color.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm so happy with this hair dye. My hair colour is naturally a medium brown with strong golden copper undertones in it.

I have dyed my hair both semi permanent and non perm. red, about 6 or 7 times now in the last few years and I have never been impressed with any of the results. I always opted for auburns or mahoganys because I was afraid of the pure intense reds, yet every single time my hair turned out 6 shades darker than what it is and I just don't want that. I wanted my hair to be a lot redder, but without darkening the brown intensely. This time I decided I wanted a more copper toned red so I went for number 150 which is "intense amber auburn" and I'm so pleased I did. My hair is around the same shade as before in regards to darkness, of course slightly darker but not too noticeable, and has a really noticeable coppery red tone to it now. The dye comes with a special oil you are supposed to add to the dye to assist in keeping hair hydrated. Finally pleased with a hair dye I have bought :)

on 7/6/2013 2:26:00 PM

I just used this in Soft Black over hendigoed hair as I seemed to have developed a rash on my neck from the indigo (I've used pure body art quality no additive henna many times so I know it was the indigo). Anywho, it was premixed together in the form of Light Mountain henna brand - only 2 ingredients were indigo, henna - no metallic salts or anything. You can use ANY chemical over PURE henna (except when you BLEACH indigo it turns green) no matter what they tell you in beauty school - they are talking about dangerous compound hennas that are readily available in like health food/beauty stores and contain metallic salts - the real stuff u usually have to order online)). I kind of unevenly applied it and parts of my hair looked black, parts brown. So I was scoping out black dyes and I decided to go with this for my first one, since I used to use it in Intense Red Copper last year all the time and it was great. Although I chose soft black, the color is JET BLACK. I love it!!! I know from the red colors that this line does not fade. When I was using the red copper, it was able to lift my dark brown hair and make it truly gloriously red with minimal damage. Plus, I used Feria over it, bleached over it, hennaed/indigoed over it, all to no ill effects (lucky me I know). I am used to using drying herbs on my head lately, and when i rinsed this dye (which was a breeze, didnt stain anything, skin stains came off easily w coconut oil and body wash in shower), it actually SOFTENED my hair!!! And that's before using the conditioner (which is wonderful)! Oh and if you're wondering the Soft Black uses a 20 volume developer; I'm not sure on the intense red copper as I didn't know about developers back then and wasn't checking. It says it right on the bottle. I left the black on for the prescribed 25 minutes. If I had one complaint is that it was a little liquidy and wouldn't pile on top of my head I had to use clips. I didn't cover or apply heat or anything. But, the coloring agent you pour into the developer is a liquid not a squeeze tube of cream like some brands. I would recommend this line. Next time, though, I am going w the Excellence line in Intense Blue Black as I think that sounds exciting. Haha. Plus it got better reviews than Preference, although Preference has won the Allure beauty awards like 4 yrs in a row. If you know you're going to use a loreal color the website has a fun shade quiz to get you some recommendations. Although my last bout with black was Feria Starry Nights, I had short hair I was cutting all the time and ppl say it's very damaging. Plus I don't see a difference in the color payoff. Try the Preference... There is a reason it won the home color award for 4 years! Happy hair coloring.

Video Reviews & Tutorials