Urban Decay Deluxe Shadow Box

4.7

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 2/24/2013 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I just got this since it was on sale at UD, and I had a $5 off coupon code. I'd been looking at it forever but never gave in and bought it. Now I wonder what I was waiting for! This is at least tied with my UD Ammo palette as my favorite of all time. The shadows are very pigmented and go on easily and smoothly. I have super-oily lids but they stayed on fine with a primer, though I'm still searching out the best primer for me.

I just did a look yesterday with Peace on the center of the lid, Grafitti on the inner third, Ransom on the outer third and a bit of the crease, Honey on the inner corner, and Fishnet in and blended just above the crease. It was super-bright and colorful and looked amazing! I'm a huge fan of this palette and wish I'd bought it long before now.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am a huge fan of Urban Decay, particularly their eyeshadow palettes. At the moment I own the preen palette, Naked2, the feminine palette (2011), the 15 year anniversary palette, and this little beauty. I discovered Urban Decay too late to purchase this product when it first came out, but after some searching found it on BeautyBay.com for a very reasonable 22. I was a little dubious as to whether it was the real deal, seeing as it was discontinued at this point, but after the Official Urban Decay facebook page confirmed that it was, I went ahead and nagged my fiance for it for Valentines.
First of all, I'll comment on the packaging. It comes in the traditional UD deep purple velvet packaging, with a very cute "bling" design in the center which I have a fetish for touching for some reason. It's a very nice size for handbags and travelling, and closes firmly with the magnetic lid. When you open it up you see the mouthwateringly beautiful nine shades and two sponge applicators against an understated (particularly for UD), but chic white base. Some minor detail of purple flowers and birds adorn the inner lid, along with a good sized mirror.
The eyeshadows are, of course, of spectacular quality. As they are deluxe shadows, they're supposed to be a "touch" more special than the ordinary UD colours, but I don't think they're any different. To be honest, I don't see how the deluxe formula can be better than the original formula anyway. I truly believe that no other makeup company makes eyeshadows as pigmented and as special as UD.

Fishnet - Metallic pinky purple with violet shift. Reminds me of a pink version of Omen from the 15 year anniversary palette. A gorgeous, flirty colour, nice paired with Ransom.

Honey - A beautiful true metallic gold. Nice in the inner corner with Graffiti in the outer corner for a bold look. Haven't seen another UD colour quite like it. Suits its name very well.

Ransom - Gorgeous dark bluey purple metallic. Apparently one of the most popular deluxe shadows, and I can see why! Nice in the crease and outer v paired with Peace.

Graffiti - Ugh, this colour is just stunning! My favourite of the bunch - Beautiful jewel tone, inbetween grass green and emerald green. BEAUTIFUL.

Zero - A very nice black with slight sparkle, though if you're looking for a true matte black, Blackout is probably better. Zero tends to lean on the dark grey shade when blended. Perfect to create a smokey eye with any of the other colours.

Peace - Beautiful eyepopping turquoise. Extremely pigmented and strangely very versatile. It's VERY similar to Painkiller (found in the preen or show pony palette). Infact, I'd go as far to say that it's a dupe.

Shag - (Great name for us Brits, eh?) Warm coppery gold with slight gold sparkle. Very pretty.

Scratch - Shimmery taupey pink. Similar to Snatch, though I think Scratch is more pink and doesn't have all the annoying glitter that Snatch has.

Underground - Metallic silvery taupe. Leans towards the cool side. Gorgeous for a neutral smokey eye.

As mentioned previously, all shadows are of the best quality. I happen to like the two sponge applicators also, as I find they transfer colour better than brushes, though it's absolutely essential to use brushes to blend properly. All the colours are workable, even the bright ones. (I managed to create a gorgeous look using Peace all over the inner 3/4s of my lid, Ransom in the outer v, Fishnet buffed into the crease, Honey in the tear duct, and Graffiti in the inner corner) The balance of brights with neutrals is nice, however, it is missing a highlighter shade (not really an issue for me as I have a few hanging around.) Overall I would wholeheartedly recommend this palette. You can create fun, bold, but also soft and natural looks too. Quality product!

on 1/29/2013 9:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love, love this palette, which I got at half-price from UD's site so it was a terrific bargain. The shadows are wonderfully pigmented and go on smoothly. It has a lovely mix of funky colors and practical neutrals, so makes a nice travel palette. You can build anything from demure daytime to a wild party look with just these nine colors, which I think would flatter any complexion.

Maybelline has a palette closely duping Honey, Scratch and Underground, which I also bought (proving I would indeed buy this again) and didn't realize just HOW dupe was dupe until I got home. Good thing I only paid a dollar for it! The Maybelline shadows are also under-pigmented by comparison.

The applicators are the least 'deluxe' part of the set, but they're above average for sponge tips (caught in a pinch, I used them, and the results were acceptable). Also, I have travel-size brushes that fit into the applicator slot so you can upgrade the space yourself. (I tried putting in the trial-size Primer Potion it comes with, but it is too fat.) The packaging has the same suede as Naked I, except in purple instead of brown, and with a square of silver lame' on the front. I thought it might attract cat hair or lint but it's been a month and it still looks fine.

Scratch and Fishnet blend to a color similar to Laura Mercier's African Violet - but one African Violet costs more than this entire kit.

Even my cat likes this box; she got Graffiti on her nose (she considers herself the house package inspector) and had her green schnozz smugly in the air all day.

on 12/29/2012 4:57:00 PM

This was my first-ever UD product purchase, and I've been so in love with it ever since. The color are great. Some of them are probably a little too adventurous for everyday use, but they're great for a night out. Peace is one of my all-time fave blues. Underground and Scratch are great colors for anything, though. If you're into experimenting, you can find some gorgeous color combinations with this palette alone.
UD eyeshadows are PIGMENTED. I mean, a little dab with a brush will get you an amazing amount of product. These will crease on me without a primer, but I have fairly oily lids. With a primer, they stay put all day.
This palette was on sale for like $20 on UD's website the other day, so I got one for myself and another for my sister. I love this so much. Plus, the packaging is adorable, if you're into that. It looks so cute on my makeup table. Always a plus!

on 9/1/2012 11:09:00 PM

Ive had this palette for approximately 5 years. It was my first "high end" palette as well as my first UD purchase. I really enjoyed this palette when I was younger and starting eyeshadow, I actually used up scratch and underground, I hit pan on shag and ransom. I did not like the way fishnet looked on me. The other colors are wearable but not for everyday use nor special occasions. I HIGHLY recommend this palette for anyone who is starting to experiment with makeup and hasn't quite yet figured out a "style" or "look". The colors are great to experiment with. I just feel that the colors are geared more towards a younger crowd.

So, I finally figured out why this is called the UD 'Deluxe' Shadow Box. (Other than being generally amazing) The shadows in it are all part of their 'Deluxe' Shadow line! (Derp on my part.) Not to mention, this is one of my favorite palettes of all time. I've been lusting after it forever, and it was everything I wanted and more.
The colors are just absolutely gorgeous. Vibrant, fun, and versatile. There are also three gorgeous neutrals. And I'm not usually a neutral eye kind of person, but these ones really have a wow factor to them. Graffiti (the green) is unlike any other green I own or have ever seen or tried. And between Fishnet (pink) and Ransom (purple), they're easily some of the most unique shades I have seen and used. This one is almost something I reach for on the daily basis.
Everyone should have this palette! And As long as I have this pallete, and UD Primer potion, I don't need anything else!

One of my first urban decay products, ive completely used up Fishnet and ransom and have repurchased both on there own, I also love peace and scratch ! Honey is so soft and buttery the colour is just a bit harsh on my pale cool toned skin. I've barely used graffiti as I find greens don't look good on my blue/green eyes but it would be gorgeous on brown eyes! Zero just doesn't seem black at all compared to perversion, and perversion doesn't seem black compared to blackout ! Shag and underground are also gorgeous, I would purchase this again as many of these shadows aren't in the new formulation ! The packaging is a bit annoying as its velvety and picks up a lot of dirt, this didn't bother me enough though to drop a mark !

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This palette comes with amazing colors! They're such great quality, very little fall out. Long lasting whether you use primer potion or not. It's a little expensive but very well worth it.

on 4/9/2012 9:08:00 PM

A fantastic set of Urban Decay's deluxe eyeshadows. Several colours stand out for me: Fishnet is a duochrome pink and purple - a mixture between Junkshow and Omen (from Urban Decay's 15th Anniversary Palette); Honey is a lovely old gold colour that doesn't lean too yellow; Ransom is a beautiful blue/purple; Peace is a vivid opaque blue and Underground is a gorgeous shimmery taupe.
All have fantastic pigmentation and are create quality; with a primer/base these last five hours+ without creasing. They look fantastic wet too.
The packaging is compact, I only wish it was smooth rather than suede which attracts dust. The brushes I find useless as I'm not a fan of sponge-tipped applicators, I much prefer sets that come with miniature brushes.
Overall, for 27 this is excellent value; the eyeshadows are all pigmented and are great for a colourful look; it's true that you don't have everything you need in this palette so it's not great for travelling, but it has a bit of everything colour-wise which I think is awesome!

on 3/29/2012 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I won't buy again cuz there's always something new with UD. I love love scratch and ransom. I think I really got the palette cuz. Of those two colors and the outer design lol (sucker for unusual packaging). The colors are too loud for me to wear and the palette itself does go all together. They're all like highlighters on my NC40 skintone. U need a primer for sure. Its creamy but tbh, I've had this since 2009/early 2010 (can't rmbr exactly) and it has jus been sitting around :s id shud hav waited for the Naked palettes that's more wearable imo! Lol

Popular Palettes