September 23, 2014 | 1960 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Diamond Strength Diamond Shine Top and Base Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by goldandrubies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This makes your nail polish shrink and bubble when used on wet polish. So, let your polish dry for about 10 minutes before putting on the top coat. DO NOT use this polish as a base coat! When used as a base coat, it makes your nail polish chip. This is why this product has such low ratings. It is fast-drying, self-leveling, and shiny. I was happy with the results. It keeps the polish on my toes shiny for weeks without having to re-apply it. It definitely extends the life of my polish. It's neck and neck with the Sally Hansen Salon Ultra Wear top coat. Enjoy.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 11:08:00 AM More reviews by busymommy

Horrible!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2012 1:28:00 PM More reviews by funkiiechunkiiemunkiie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

worst nail polish i ever invested in next to those cheap dollar store ones. actually the consistency of the ones at the dollar store is a lot better than this. i will never make the mistake of purchasing this again. it chips easily, does not even dry and leaves a ton of air bubbles on top of the nail polish.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Terrible! Used this as a top coat only when my OPI top coat ran out and I needed something in a pinch. This stuff made my nail polish bubble up and streaky even though I allowed my polish to dry for a good 30 minutes before putting it on. It also did not prolong the life of my polish any more than if I didn't have any top coat on. I gave it 2 lippies because it was inexpensive but I feel that with this product, you do get what you paid for.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by trollzorz94

I really like Diamond Shine and am appalled at the low rating. This isn't the holiest of holies but it does the job as a base coat and top coat and I'm on my third bottle of it already.

As a base coat, I mean...there's not much I can say. It's a base coat. It provides a smooth surface, prevents staining bla bla bla.

As a top coat:

1. it's super super shiny, although after four or five dayl it's just plain shiny as opposed to super super shiny.
2. prevents chips and tipwear - polishes which chip after 4 hours now last 6-8 days .
3. takes a long time to dry - I apply this on top of one coat of base coat and two coats of colour, and it takes 1 hour to dry completely
4. definitely does cause some bubbling but nowhere near as bad as MUA reviews make it seem. I apply a really thick coat of top coat and, on creme and jelly polishes, get 2-7 tiny bubbles on each nail, and the bubbles are only visible from close up. On shimmer and glitter finishes, there are usually fewer bubbles + it's less noticeable - obviously this still depends on whether the shimmer/glitter is densely packed or not. On metallic, foil and chrome finishes I don't ever get bubbling.

I've gone through two and a half bottles of this stuff and it works really well for my preferences. The only cons are the drying time and bubbling, but seeing as I rarely wear creme polishes it's hardly a problem. The bubbling which everyone is complaining about is really not THAT bad...unless I'm really lucky and keep getting bottles from a Miracle Batch.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Overall, pretty average in every way. Have found some bubbling when using this. Don't think I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by sfgiantsfan23

I'm really not sure if I would purchase this again because I believe there are better clear coats out there that would give me the same amount of shine. It's sold at a good price, but I found that the brush is very thin and for a Sally Hansen polish, this is very unusual. My nails did go longer without chipping and this prevented them from getting stained from my nail polish when I used it as a base coat. Nice product, nice concept, but I think they need to make some minor changes. :-)

rated 2 of 5 on 4/10/2012 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Vibrant77

This is the worst product. Good as a base coat but when adding as a topcoat, it will create bubbling and will dry with these tiny bubbles so that your mani/pedi look decrepid. It does add shine and I'm sure it does strengthen, but its useless because it destroys your efforts. If you purchase, use as a base and try a regular clear as your topcoat.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 5:22:00 PM More reviews by morningviewangel99

I think this product is a good but not miraculous base and top coat. It helps polishes last for an average of 2 days without chipping, and it makes your nails look smooth and shiny, but not overly so. It is moderately priced for a ds polish, although I was especially motivated to buy it at a 75% off sale. I would buy again and recommend until I find something better.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by sherpa

I bought this eight or so months ago and really liked it as a top coat when I started using it. I'm not too picky when it comes to top coats and this did the job for me - it gives decent shine and made my nails last at least 4 days. However, I pulled this out the other day after not using it for a while and it bubbled terribly. I also don't like the packaging, you can't see how much is left. I can't comment on how it works as a base coat because I never used it as one.