April 20, 2014 | 1917 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Diamond Strength Diamond Shine Top and Base Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by trollzorz94

I really like Diamond Shine and am appalled at the low rating. This isn't the holiest of holies but it does the job as a base coat and top coat and I'm on my third bottle of it already.

As a base coat, I mean...there's not much I can say. It's a base coat. It provides a smooth surface, prevents staining bla bla bla.

As a top coat:

1. it's super super shiny, although after four or five dayl it's just plain shiny as opposed to super super shiny.
2. prevents chips and tipwear - polishes which chip after 4 hours now last 6-8 days .
3. takes a long time to dry - I apply this on top of one coat of base coat and two coats of colour, and it takes 1 hour to dry completely
4. definitely does cause some bubbling but nowhere near as bad as MUA reviews make it seem. I apply a really thick coat of top coat and, on creme and jelly polishes, get 2-7 tiny bubbles on each nail, and the bubbles are only visible from close up. On shimmer and glitter finishes, there are usually fewer bubbles + it's less noticeable - obviously this still depends on whether the shimmer/glitter is densely packed or not. On metallic, foil and chrome finishes I don't ever get bubbling.

I've gone through two and a half bottles of this stuff and it works really well for my preferences. The only cons are the drying time and bubbling, but seeing as I rarely wear creme polishes it's hardly a problem. The bubbling which everyone is complaining about is really not THAT bad...unless I'm really lucky and keep getting bottles from a Miracle Batch.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Overall, pretty average in every way. Have found some bubbling when using this. Don't think I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by sfgiantsfan23

I'm really not sure if I would purchase this again because I believe there are better clear coats out there that would give me the same amount of shine. It's sold at a good price, but I found that the brush is very thin and for a Sally Hansen polish, this is very unusual. My nails did go longer without chipping and this prevented them from getting stained from my nail polish when I used it as a base coat. Nice product, nice concept, but I think they need to make some minor changes. :-)

rated 2 of 5 on 4/10/2012 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Vibrant77

This is the worst product. Good as a base coat but when adding as a topcoat, it will create bubbling and will dry with these tiny bubbles so that your mani/pedi look decrepid. It does add shine and I'm sure it does strengthen, but its useless because it destroys your efforts. If you purchase, use as a base and try a regular clear as your topcoat.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 5:22:00 PM More reviews by morningviewangel99

I think this product is a good but not miraculous base and top coat. It helps polishes last for an average of 2 days without chipping, and it makes your nails look smooth and shiny, but not overly so. It is moderately priced for a ds polish, although I was especially motivated to buy it at a 75% off sale. I would buy again and recommend until I find something better.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by sherpa

I bought this eight or so months ago and really liked it as a top coat when I started using it. I'm not too picky when it comes to top coats and this did the job for me - it gives decent shine and made my nails last at least 4 days. However, I pulled this out the other day after not using it for a while and it bubbled terribly. I also don't like the packaging, you can't see how much is left. I can't comment on how it works as a base coat because I never used it as one.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/15/2012 11:27:00 PM More reviews by songforafriend

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This stuff claims to be both a base coat and a top coat but what it really is is a complete fraud. It does not work as a base coat. My nails were left in the same deplorable condition as without a base coat. I'd have split and peeling nails up the wazoo. As a top coat, it bubbles like crazy. Granted, it does prolong the life of your manicure like any top coat should, but with the amount of unsightly bubbling that appears that's not necessarily a good thing. Stay away from this product or you will suffer gravely!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2011 11:18:00 PM More reviews by jcki

BUBBLES! >:(

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2011 2:14:00 PM More reviews by shaneksgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is actually one of the worst products I've ever tried - its thick (I needed to thin it out after the 3rd use) and it bubbles insanely. My nails look hideous with it. And it keeps forming bubbles for a long time, like I'll go to sleep with smooth nails and wake up with bubbly nails. I'd rather use no topcoat than use this junk. NEVER buying it again!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2011 8:54:00 AM More reviews by raggie92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, to be honest, I never tried many top coats and I was looking for one that multitasks as a base coat as well. This is a terrible product. Maybe you get really good smooth finishes at your first go at this product, but then it starts to bubble at the next few tries.

It's really REALLY THICK, and hard to spread out. It makes my nails look awful. Don't even bother trying this product. I'm totally regretting why didn't I read reviews first for this. I can totally understand the negative reviews here.

Definitely a no on repurchase of this product, I would rather spend a little bit more on O.P.I