April 19, 2014 | 1591 users online

Cleansers - Origins - Clean Energy Cleansing Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2012 4:48:00 PM More reviews by darkmist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

PROS:

easily accessible at most department stores
decent price (~$30 in Canada)
great for most makeup*
nice herbal smell
each bottle lasts a very very long time

CONS:
leaves skin feeling tight and a bit dry*
takes a while to remove wp mascara
end up with eyeliner gunk inside my eyes

This is the first full-sized oil cleanser I've ever tried (I tried a sample of DHC). I was previously eyeing the Shu cleansers but as I'd have to go to another city to purchase it, I didn't want to risk spending a lot of $$ on something only to find out that it didn't work with my skin type. This is a decent product - it's easy to find and buy, the price is reasonable, it lasts for a very long time, and it does its job. However I personally find that my skin (normal with slightly oily t-zone) feels a bit tight and dry after I'm done cleansing with this oil. My skin feels a bit better after I double cleanse with a cleansing milk and toner+moisturizer but I still feel a bit stripped. While Clean Energy does do an excellent job in taking off stubborn bb creams, fdtn, eye mu, etc, it does take a bit of soaking and rubbing to get my wp mascara off. Another irritant is how it seems to melt part of my eyeliner into my eye. I wear liquid eyeliner and tightline with a pencil eyeliner so I'm assuming it's the pencil that's melting into gunk even though I keep my eyes shut while washing my face. I only point this out because with my DHC oil cleanser sample and previous eye mu removers, I've never had this issue. Would I buy this again? Yes and no. It's not the greatest but it's decent and easy to get hold of. Depending on how things are when I finish this bottle, I might just bite the bullet and buy the Shu cleanser.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 6:01:00 PM More reviews by MSAries

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this cleanser. It is a nice, light oil that turns creamy when you add a little water. The scent is really lovely, too. Like lavender & citrus, maybe? Very clean & refreshing. I use this to take off my makeup every night and it even gets off my stubborn waterproof mascara. I really love that I don't have to order it online. I can go to my local Origins store or to their counter at the mall and pick it up. Leaves my skin feeling clean but not tight. I do think it's a bit of a rip-off that you have to buy the pump separately, but I guess they do that to cut down on the amount of plastic you would throw away each time you repurchase. I just keep the pump and switch it to my new bottle. I'm on my 2nd bottle and my first one lasted me at least 3 mos using it once a day.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by mjrq

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the most inexpensive thorough makeup remover I have ever used. it smells good and a little goes a long way. It removes even the toughest eye makeup gently and completely. Best of all, it doesn't burn the eyes at all. it comes in a bottle with a pump that can be purchased for about a dollar I think. It is reusable. For travel, I pump it into an empty eye drop bottle so I don't have to remove the pump or pack a large bottle. This is the HG of makeup removers.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2012 4:36:00 AM More reviews by alicewin

I really like this cleansing oil. Although I've only tried a couple of cleansing oils, this is by far the best that I've tried. It does a really good job of removing makeup. And although its purpose is to remove makeup and cleanse, I only use it as a makeup remover then I follow it with another cleanser to wash my face. Prior to using this cleanser, I use a separate eye makeup remover... extra virgin olive oil. This cleanser is very gentle and it doesn't strip my skin of oils, does not dry me out and I definitely don't break out from it. I highly recommend this product if you're looking for an oil makeup remover :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2012 8:07:00 PM More reviews by daylemclaren

I really like this. At first i thought, oil for oily skin? Buts its really good, doesnt make my skin anymore oily and actually cleans it really well. I use this everynight, by using this first then double cleansing with a facial wash. I do this when im wearing makeup and when im not wearing any. I find that it cleanses my skin really well but also moisturises it. It takes makeup off really well and ive noticed a difference in my treaments (masks/nose strips) when i double cleanse with this. For the size its a really good price and ive had it for about 2 months and used it every night and ive only used a small amount. At first i didnt realise that you could get a pump for it but its definitely better with it. With the pump i only use two pumps and thats more than enough so its definitely value for money. I would buy again but probably not for a while as this bottle will last me ages even using it everday!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 4:21:00 PM More reviews by PinkSyringes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this instead of DHC's cleansing oil because it is cheaper. The texture is lighter and it doesn't feel heavy. I don't feel like it cleans my skin as well though. The one thing I do like about it is that is does not sting my eyes, and when I wear contacts it doesn't make them water later in the day like the DHC one does. I am not sure if I will buy it again, I am still on the fence.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by phylosopy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Im not in love with this product. This oil does not remove anything! The oil is very thin and my skin feels dry after using it. I never had skin problems, but now I have to deal with breakouts after using this product for 3 weeks.
I do like the bottle and the pump works good for me, but I never buy the product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2012 5:02:00 PM More reviews by shumster

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I'm using this instead of Shu Uemura Cleaning Oil Fresh because Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Light no longer is available (replaced by Cleansing Oil Fresh). Clean Energy is slightly thicker than Cleansing Oil Light but not as heavy as Cleansing Oil Fresh. It's also 20% cheaper than Shu Cleansing Oils. I don't mind the herbal smell, I actually find it refreshing. I'm pretty sure Shu was a little quicker at getting off waterproof eye makeup but in the end, after rinsing, my face was just as clean.

The only bad part is the bottle. I need to purchase the pump at the counter (when I find the time!), otherwise not only is pouring it in your hand an exercise in precision and hand/eye coordination, but the pesky top is probably the worst designed object ever for someone with oily hands. It's so poorly designed I'm convinced they did it on purpose - it's hard to put back on and its shape and material composition is dead on for bouncing. I drop this top at least every other day and it always bounces right off the counter and all over the floor where I have to go chasing after it. They should market it as a bouncy ball.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2012 7:53:00 PM More reviews by suzyorchid

I have been using this for over 6 months now and I really really like it, though I am not in love with it. I would definitely purchase it again because there are more pros than cons.

Positives:
1) The scent is nice, not overpowering.
2) At first I didn't like that Origins sells the pump separately from the cleansing oil, but now I agree it is better. You end up using slightly less waste (less plastic), its not a huge amount of waste, but its well-intentioned.
3) This bottle lasts A LONG TIME. I have used it for over 6 months and I have only used 20% of it. Maybe I'm not using enough oil, but my face feels clean afterwards so I don't feel I need to use a whole lot.
4) I don't wear a lot of makeup in general, so maybe others' experience will be different, but I find it to be decent at removing makeup. I sometimes cleanse twice if I feel I need to, but there is so much product in this bottle, I don't feel guilty doing so.
5) Great price for the amt given in the bottle.

Negatives:
1) I actually wish the oil was a little thicker. I find it to be a bit too slippery so end up pumping 3-4 times per wash. This is a preference, however, so maybe this would be a positive for some people.
2) The pump dispenser could be better. It has a travel- lock mechanism which works fine. But the problem is it doesn't stay/click in and stay open. Each time after I use the pump, it always shifts a little towards the travel-lock position. So when I go in for the 2nd pump, I have to move the pump back to open it. I think it should stay open and I shouldn't have to keep moving it to open every time I want to use it. (Not sure if this description made sense, but I tried).

Lastly, I use Jojoba oil as a cleanser too, and decided to add jojoba to it. So far its been great - I only added about 1/5 of jojoba to the oil, and I hardly smell the jojoba. It still smells like the original cleansing oil and it feels slightly more moisturizing to me.

I would definitely purchase this again, but I don't know when that will be because I still have soooo much of this product. Love that!

I gave this a 4 only because its not yet a HG for me, but maybe in another 6 months it will be!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by shannon804

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a good cleansing oil, and I liked it UNTIL I read the ingredients and realized that it is basically olive oil with a few essential oils, marked up 300%. It went back to the store, and I went back to the extra virgin olive oil/ rose hip seed oil combination that I had been using.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No