August 28, 2014 | 883 users online

Eyeliner - MAC - Kohl Power - Mystery

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2007 1:52:00 PM More reviews by amarques

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

(Review contains picture)

I bought this pencil in a whim, untested, just after reading the description in the MAC website. I got it via eBay, since it is (or wasn't) still available in Ireland.

I was a bit afraid after reading the reviews in MUA, since opinions seem a bit divided about it!

I am a LLL, neutral to warm, BB Sand or Ivory, Shiseido (Asia) OC-00 or OC-10 and Shu Uemura 574, just in case.

What do I have to say about this is: testing it on your hand is not reliable. I was really upset when I noticed that it showed like a run-of-the-mill pewter/silvery black eye pencil, and almost gave up.

However... Going out yesterday I have decided to use it the proper way: lining my eyes, that is.

What a lovely surprise! It is indeed the darkest and more elegant metallic teal eye liner you can possibly imagine! And it lasts and lasts. The texture is smooth, easily blendable and I did a smokey metallic eye. It was gorgeous, my eyes looked bigger and brighter. I did not use mascara though.

It is elegant, subtle and a wonderful substitute for the blacks and browns of life.

I also did not use any eye shadow, just that pencil, smudged and well-blended in my upper lash line. Really, really pretty. Now I am happy I bought it!

The only reason I would not buy it again is because I have far too many eye pencils and that one is going to last well, since it seems bigger than the normal ones. So, I will not need it. Otherwise, I would buy it with no hesitation.

Love it!

(Please click on "Continued" to see a swatch of Mystery...)

continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2007 7:18:00 PM More reviews by queserasera

Mystery is one of MAC's new Kohl Power eyeliners, released with the Smoke Signals Collection (September 2007). First of all, Mystery, as the other reviewers have so aptly described, is a blackened teal with a slight, shimmery sheen. The color is absolutely gorgeous and a great alternative to black eyeliner, especially for the daytime. The shimmer is very subtle and totally wearable--not glittery at all. Mystery has a lovely soft texture and applies very smoothly, without tugging on the skin. My issue with this product is its staying power. Because it is so soft, it migrates off my eyes and onto everywhere else. I have to reapply this product several times a day for it to look as good as it did in the morning. This is definitely not a product to wear in the heat, out at night, or anywhere you may be sweating. For reference, I am NC20, MUFE Face and Body 20, hazel eyes, light brown hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2007 12:28:00 PM More reviews by Karyn429

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My MA accidently gave me Orpheus instead of Mystery and when I got home and played with it, I did not like it at all! Then I noticed the switch. I now have Mystery and I love it. It's a beautiful steamy green that looks great lining my green shadows and it can go in the waterline. Yes, I would get it again if it was permanent, but I don't think I'll run out for a while!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2007 3:48:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Loving this kohl e/l!! I have been a faithful fan of gel/ pot liners for as long as I can remember. I can't even recall how long ago it has been since I last used an e/l in pencil form, but when I was at MAC on the day Blue Storm and Smoke Signals came out my curiosity got the best of me. Mystery was the 1st kohl e/l that I grabbed and swatched it on the back of my hand...and it was "love at 1st sight". The duo chrome color combo of black and teal was gorgreous and I loved the way the teal color flickered in the light...even though I have had issues with staying power and smudging from any form of pencil liners in the past...I gave in and bought Mystery. Let me say I am not disappointed I did! For reference I have brown eyes and do not wear contacts...I used Mystery to line my upper lash line and it glided on so smoothly with no tugging or pulling. I then proceeded to line my bottom waterline and again it glided on effortlessly, although I did go over my waterline a couple times as I like my liner to stand out and be deeply defined. I then smudged my top lash line and I also lined just below my bottom waterline to lashline and it looked awesome! I was so pleased with the color payoff as I could see the duo chrome in the e/l...it wasn't flat or just black or just teal..It really made my brown eyes pop with color. I pair it w/ any color e/s I am wearing as it goes well w/ most any color...now as far as the staying power goes, it wore for the whole day with out pooling into the corners of my eyes, it didn't travel below my lashline and it pretty much stayed on my waterline most of the day...I have been wearing this e/l daily since I have bought it, and my gel/pot liners have been ignored for the time being. This e/l is so much more quicker to apply and the results are beautiful...I highly recommend it :) I will not repurchase as it is LE, but I have already swapped for a back-up...now I am off to swap the rest of the colors such as Feline, Raven, and Orpheus, as I am hoping they will give me the same results as Mystery has!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2007 5:09:00 PM More reviews by styrch

The Color: I had to try this product a couple of times before I felt I could rate it based on how everyone gushed about it on the boards. This pencil is nothing special. On the hand it swatches a GORGEOUS shade of teal. On the lids, however, the color just does not show as a liner. The black tends to show through and you hardly see the teal shade at all. For those of you hoping for a multi-dimensional eyeliner, save your money. If you're looking for a black that isn't too black then this may be just fine for you.
The Wear: I haven't had as many problems getting this product to "stay" as other people have. It tends to last on me all day long, but looks dull. It will not stay on the waterline so don't even try it. It also irritated my eyes when I tried to line my waterline with it. This is definately a "upper lid only" sort of eyeliner.
Bottom Line: No, I would not purchase this Kohl again. I would get a liner from another brand or from a different formula from MAC. It's sort of worth the one time purchase, but for those of you who are going out of your way to find it because your counter ran out - save your time, your money, your gas, your sanity... etc. It's not worth it.
I am NC15 with blue-green eyes for reference. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2007 1:37:00 AM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like this pencil but I have issues with pencils smudging I had to layer this one over my faithful maybelline expert eyes pencil (one that does NOT disappear on me).

I love the color of this pencil but I feel the pencil could have been softer maybe... where you don't have to draw so hard to get the pretty duo chrome effect or have to draw over so many times to get the effect. On delicate eye tissue they really should have made these pencils softer maybe like a power point or a technikohl.

I said i would buy again but i say that after only using the pencil a couple times, I would have to see how often i use these pencils (i bought all 4 kohl powers) I guess if worse comes to worse with these pencils i can use my eyeliner sealers on them to keep them in place (I have watery eyes so i need to use it with lots of stuff that isn't nearly as smudgy as a regular kohl)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2007 7:33:00 PM More reviews by zingss

I am in the like-it camp. I find the color is subtle, but definitely in the blackened teal range. It does smudge a bit, but I tried layering a little teal shadow, then re-applying, and it lasted all day. Even on the bottom, it wore well on me. It is different enough from Tarnish and my other dark greens that I'll get good use out of it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2007 5:42:00 PM More reviews by ziebam

GAHH!!!!! Why does this product have to be so beautiful but so crappy? I saw these and immediately grabbed 3 of the 4. These are duo chrome kohl liners that flash different colors in different light. I picked up Orpheus, Raven, and Mystery and skipped Feline since its just black. Can I tell you that Mystery is GORGEOUS. Its a blackened teal that looks mostly black but flashes teal. Its stunning. Unfortunately it also smudges and smears like CRAZY. I mean, within the first hour it started smudging underneath my eyes. Then it just continued all day long. I mean, what a mess! I was fixing underneath my eyes, wiping it up all day. It did stay put on the top lid, over shadow and a base but the bottom was a mess. I even wore my trusty Kiss Me mascara that does not ever smudge to make sure it was the liner and it is. Granted, i do have an oily eye area and have to wear gel liners to keep them on. And i live in humid South Florida which doesnt help either. But alas, this is going back to the store since i cant go around looking like this, eyeliner smudged all running down my eyes. I checked out the Raven, which is a blackened burgandy that flashes plum burgandy and havent tried the Orpheus. All three are going back. Released August 2007 and retail for $13.50.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2007 2:51:00 PM More reviews by suzier

I'm very pale (NC15/20), but the pencil shows up as teal on me. It just requires about 18 million coats to get there -- otherwise it looks like a dull grey, kind of like with some black eyeliner pencils. But with enough elbow grease, it does look distinctly teal.

It's pretty enough and doesn't fade quick or rub off for me or anything, but it's not really a classic color that I'll use often, nor does it do anything spectacular for my greenish-greyish-kinda-hazel-but-not-really eyes. So I like it for now, but am unlikely to purchase it again. For now, though, I'm having fun with it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2007 8:00:00 AM More reviews by krakow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have agree with the review below, this pencil looks like Tarnish however I want to add that it only appears similar on lighter skin (right now I'm C4) On much darker skin the aqua color is very visible. I tried it on a customer (NW50) and you could see the beautiful aqua color, no black at all.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No