April 16, 2014 | 1651 users online

Eyeliner - MAC - Technakohl in Photogravure

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2010 12:02:00 PM More reviews by anna5858

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A MAC makeup artist did my makeup the other day, and used this pencil. I never really liked dark brown/black liners on me because I'm sooo fair, but this just makes my eyes pop!!! I have very pale skin, hazel eyes, and medium brown hair. This makes my eyes look very mysterious....

This pencil is very easy to use. However, you must get right in the lash line, or it can look funny because the line is so precise. I can see how this pencil would wear out very quickly, therefore being costly. Overall, this is the best eyeliner I have ever purchased. Very natural looking. If you want to attempt the "no makeup look," this would be the perfect pencil.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 7:22:00 PM More reviews by Kitty_82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

[NW 10/15; golden brown eyes; dark brown hair]

This e/l twist-up pencil is a perfect brown/black for everyday.

Unfortunately, the amount of product you get is paltry, the tip of the pencil is hard to get sharp (stays thick and blunt) for any kind of precise thin-medium line, and the product is very smudgey. It mixes with the oils in my skin in a way that gel, pencil or shadow lining doesn't.

I will not be re-purchasing (would have to buy one a month with the small amount you get) in this or any other colour.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2010 10:02:00 AM More reviews by jiney17

ABOUT ME: light skin with yellow-olive undertones, dark brown eyes, non-oily eye area

COLOR: Photogravure is a matte charcoal or blackened brown with no red tones. Excellent, rich pigmentation. Honestly, when I first got this liner, I thought the color was kind of boring and basic and didn't understand the raves. But I changed my mind after trying it on--somehow, this is like Magical Dark Brown and it's really flattering and makes my eyes look extra luminous. And despite being dark enough for me (light and midtone liners can sometimes look off because of my coloring), it's not harsh at all. My eyes are somewhat large and prominent and pure black liner can make them seem like they're taking over my face, so I only wear it on my upper lid. I can actually wear Photogravure all around my eyes, including the waterline and it doesn't make me look bug-eyed or like an alien. Instead, I get the smoldering, feline look I'm always trying to achieve with eyeliner (think a slightly toned-down Olivia Wilde).

TEXTURE: Smooth, but not as buttery as the Urban Decay 24/7 liners nor as soft as MAC's Kohl Powers, a bit better than the Powerpoints. This pencil lines without dragging or skipping and lays down nice, rich color in one stroke.

PERFORMANCE: I wear this on my upper lid only, smudged into the lashline, thicker towards the outer part of my eyes and slightly winged out. It wears well all day. I get slight smudging beneath the outer lower lids after a few hours, but that may be because of my eye shape. A primer underneath prevents this, but I'm too lazy to put on primer all the time.

PACKAGING: Slim, plastic mechanical pencil. My biggest beef with this pencil is the lack of a built-in sharpener. I ended up buying a cheap Wet 'n' Wild eyeliner with a sharpener because I didn't have one around. Annoying.

PRICE: Reasonable at 14.50 USD, though of course I'd be happier to pay less for it.

REPURCHASE?: Absolutely! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2009 12:49:00 PM More reviews by hodgam8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the texture of this product - it goes on and stays on easily -, however, following the advice of a review below I purchased Photogravure instead of Graph Black and I think I actually should've gone with the true black. This is a great brown liner, but it isn't "black with brown undertone" as the website says, its just brown. It is however a gorgeous color and a great product, but if you think its going to be a black/brown, well, it isn't.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2009 10:54:00 AM More reviews by maylias

This is a great, solid brown. Smudges easily but stays put, too. Great for day and night.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 3:17:00 PM More reviews by cleo43107

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I hadn't tried the Technakohl's prior to this. WOW, I finally found my perfect brown. It stays on amazingly well and is a pure brown on me, no weird red tone.

I prefer a pencil I can sharpen but that's my only complaint. I will buy again and plan to check out the other colors.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2009 4:41:00 PM More reviews by flipper5577

I have both Photogravure (Soft black with brown undertone) and Graphblack (Rich graphic black). If you were trying to decide between the two I would go with photogravure. It is a much more wearable for day and night. It is much softer than graphblack (which would be great for a night out or if you really love black eyeliner). Photogravure is very flattering and looks awesome in the waterline. Surprising how big of a difference that can make to your eyes. Technakohl liners are super easy to use and do not tug at your skin. If you are a beginner or want/need to do your makeup super quick I highly recommend Technakohl liners. I love blacktrack fluidliner but that definitely takes more time to put on and perfect.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2009 3:11:00 PM More reviews by eorr

Good staple eyeliner. I use it on my waterline for a natural-looking enhancement, and no irritation results. Glides on really creamy and smooth. Sometimes it rubs off slightly, but most of the time it adheres like a champ. The color is a great change if you don't want dramatic black.
The little white twisty thing on the bottom cracked off mine, and while it still functions fine, that shoddy construction is disappointing when you shell out MAC $.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 2:10:00 AM More reviews by dolce_1127

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this liner. For YEARS i used black black black.....I never even thought of using brown since I have medium brown eyes which looks like toffee coloured in natural lighting, and even lighter under the sun. i thought black liner will make my eye colour lighter therefore bring them out a little. Not until i tried this liner. This liner is a dark matte brown shade, which is close to black but definitely brown, in the pencil or on eyes. It somehow makes my browns look watery. And since it is about several shades darker than my eye colour but in the same colour range, it brings out my eyes, and it looks soft, feminine and original, not like the black liner everyone is using.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 7:33:00 AM More reviews by lipglosseater

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*Click on "continued>>" to view pics and full review*

At a Glance:
Price: RM60 / US$14.50 / Rs 960
Website: Maccosmetics.com
Weight: 0.35g / 0.012 us oz
Made in: Germany
Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Hydrogenated Olive Oil Stearyl Esters, Polyethylene, Polybutene, Silica Silylate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Cendelilla) Wax / Candelilla Cera / Cire De Candelilla, Octyldodecanol, Microcrystalline Wax / Cera Microcristallina / Cire Microcristalline, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Sodium Hyaluronate, Zinc Gluconate, Magnesium Aspartate, Tocopheryl Nicotinate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Water / Aqua / Eau, Copper Gluconate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Aluminium Powder (CI77000), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI77163), Black 2 (CI77266), Blue 1 Lake (CI42090), Carmine (CI75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI77510), Manganese Violet (CI77742), Ultramarines (CI77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI18140)]

Product Description:

A mechanical pencil-style liner. In formula, soft and creamy, with an intense, rich, colour deposit. Blends on application: dries quickly to a long-wear, non-smudge finish. Versatile. An easy way to line the top and lower lash line of the eye. When applied at a 90 degree angle, provides a thin precision line. For thicker application, apply at a flat angle.

Actual Product Pic:

My $0.02:

Pigmentation & Color (Plus Swatches! :D):
This auto eyeliner is quite pigmented! One stroke is all you need to get the color on your lids. This shade is described on the website as a soft black with brown undertones, which i would say is accurate. I love that it is matte, so it looks really natural on my lids!

Swatch from website:

Actual Swatches:

Compared to the Earthline Technakohl:

As you can see, this liner is flat matte while the Earthline one has silvery shimmers. It also has more black / brown tones than the Earthline one, which is more greyish!

The Applicator & Packaging:

The packaging is typical of a twist up auto eyeliner with a cap. It's very slim so it's very travel friendly! You get about 1.5 inches of product with every technakohl you buy.

As with all auto eyeliners, you can control how thick / thin you like your line to be by adjusting the angle you apply your liner - 90 degrees for a thin line and horizontally for a thicker line. I personally prefer thicker lines, so you can see that my liner is kinda flat.

Texture:
These liners are rather creamy, so they smooth right unto your eyelids without tugging! Because of it's creamy texture, this liner can be quite fragile, so don't exert too much force while applying it! I broke the tip a few times already!

Time Test:
By itself, these liners can last a whole day with minimal smudging (especially on the lower lids). What i do is i dab a small amount of loose powder over it, and that really helps to keep the line intact for the whole day (about 12 hours), even after showering! Why is that so baffles me until today, but since it works perfectly i just keep doing it! :P

Price & Availability:
These liners costs RM60 / US$14.50 a pop, which i think is a tad expensive for the miniscule amount you get! It's available at all MAC stores and on Maccosmetics.com all year round.

Usage:
I personally love this color as it flatters almost all eye colors! I read that it's safe for tightlining, so i do that with this liner as well! So far no eye irritations yet!

In a Nutshell:

One of my favourite liners to use! I reach for this almost everyday!

Likes: Excellent pigmentation, creamy texture, minimal smudging, perfect natural color for me! Gripes: Smudges a little
Repurchase: Yes, but would like to try out others first!

Rating:
4.5 Stars ! Near HG Stuff!!

Credits: Product Photo & Swatches from Maccosmetics.com continued >>