November 28, 2014 | 1812 users online

Eyeliner - MAC - Technakohl in Photogravure

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 4:18:00 PM More reviews by LizzieLiz

I have bought at least 5 of these liners! For the size and the fact that they don't sharpen, they really do last a long time. That amount probably lasted me a good two years, and I use this particular liner almost daily.
I find the colour is more wearable for daytime, as it is just slightly softer than black. I feel much more comfortable smudging it along my lower lash line than black.
It is not that it shows up any less than black, as this colour is actually very close to black. It is just slightly softer. A lot of people don't agree that this is a black with brown undertone but I think that is actually a pretty good description.
I have very dark brown eyes and I find myself reaching for this all the time to line them for neutral looks. It just works with every look. I would use it over black for pretty much anything, other than any type of waterline lining or red/bold lips (which I admittedly rarely do).
GraphBlack is also excellent, but I use this colour much more.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2010 12:02:00 PM More reviews by anna5858

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A MAC makeup artist did my makeup the other day, and used this pencil. I never really liked dark brown/black liners on me because I'm sooo fair, but this just makes my eyes pop!!! I have very pale skin, hazel eyes, and medium brown hair. This makes my eyes look very mysterious....

This pencil is very easy to use. However, you must get right in the lash line, or it can look funny because the line is so precise. I can see how this pencil would wear out very quickly, therefore being costly. Overall, this is the best eyeliner I have ever purchased. Very natural looking. If you want to attempt the "no makeup look," this would be the perfect pencil.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 7:22:00 PM More reviews by Kitty_82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

[NW 10/15; golden brown eyes; dark brown hair]

This e/l twist-up pencil is a perfect brown/black for everyday.

Unfortunately, the amount of product you get is paltry, the tip of the pencil is hard to get sharp (stays thick and blunt) for any kind of precise thin-medium line, and the product is very smudgey. It mixes with the oils in my skin in a way that gel, pencil or shadow lining doesn't.

I will not be re-purchasing (would have to buy one a month with the small amount you get) in this or any other colour.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2010 10:02:00 AM More reviews by jiney17

ABOUT ME: light skin with yellow-olive undertones, dark brown eyes, non-oily eye area

COLOR: Photogravure is a matte charcoal or blackened brown with no red tones. Excellent, rich pigmentation. Honestly, when I first got this liner, I thought the color was kind of boring and basic and didn't understand the raves. But I changed my mind after trying it on--somehow, this is like Magical Dark Brown and it's really flattering and makes my eyes look extra luminous. And despite being dark enough for me (light and midtone liners can sometimes look off because of my coloring), it's not harsh at all. My eyes are somewhat large and prominent and pure black liner can make them seem like they're taking over my face, so I only wear it on my upper lid. I can actually wear Photogravure all around my eyes, including the waterline and it doesn't make me look bug-eyed or like an alien. Instead, I get the smoldering, feline look I'm always trying to achieve with eyeliner (think a slightly toned-down Olivia Wilde).

TEXTURE: Smooth, but not as buttery as the Urban Decay 24/7 liners nor as soft as MAC's Kohl Powers, a bit better than the Powerpoints. This pencil lines without dragging or skipping and lays down nice, rich color in one stroke.

PERFORMANCE: I wear this on my upper lid only, smudged into the lashline, thicker towards the outer part of my eyes and slightly winged out. It wears well all day. I get slight smudging beneath the outer lower lids after a few hours, but that may be because of my eye shape. A primer underneath prevents this, but I'm too lazy to put on primer all the time.

PACKAGING: Slim, plastic mechanical pencil. My biggest beef with this pencil is the lack of a built-in sharpener. I ended up buying a cheap Wet 'n' Wild eyeliner with a sharpener because I didn't have one around. Annoying.

PRICE: Reasonable at 14.50 USD, though of course I'd be happier to pay less for it.

REPURCHASE?: Absolutely! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2009 12:49:00 PM More reviews by hodgam8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the texture of this product - it goes on and stays on easily -, however, following the advice of a review below I purchased Photogravure instead of Graph Black and I think I actually should've gone with the true black. This is a great brown liner, but it isn't "black with brown undertone" as the website says, its just brown. It is however a gorgeous color and a great product, but if you think its going to be a black/brown, well, it isn't.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2009 10:54:00 AM More reviews by maylias

This is a great, solid brown. Smudges easily but stays put, too. Great for day and night.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 3:17:00 PM More reviews by cleo43107

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I hadn't tried the Technakohl's prior to this. WOW, I finally found my perfect brown. It stays on amazingly well and is a pure brown on me, no weird red tone.

I prefer a pencil I can sharpen but that's my only complaint. I will buy again and plan to check out the other colors.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2009 4:41:00 PM More reviews by flipper5577

I have both Photogravure (Soft black with brown undertone) and Graphblack (Rich graphic black). If you were trying to decide between the two I would go with photogravure. It is a much more wearable for day and night. It is much softer than graphblack (which would be great for a night out or if you really love black eyeliner). Photogravure is very flattering and looks awesome in the waterline. Surprising how big of a difference that can make to your eyes. Technakohl liners are super easy to use and do not tug at your skin. If you are a beginner or want/need to do your makeup super quick I highly recommend Technakohl liners. I love blacktrack fluidliner but that definitely takes more time to put on and perfect.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2009 3:11:00 PM More reviews by eorr

Good staple eyeliner. I use it on my waterline for a natural-looking enhancement, and no irritation results. Glides on really creamy and smooth. Sometimes it rubs off slightly, but most of the time it adheres like a champ. The color is a great change if you don't want dramatic black.
The little white twisty thing on the bottom cracked off mine, and while it still functions fine, that shoddy construction is disappointing when you shell out MAC $.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 2:10:00 AM More reviews by dolce_1127

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this liner. For YEARS i used black black black.....I never even thought of using brown since I have medium brown eyes which looks like toffee coloured in natural lighting, and even lighter under the sun. i thought black liner will make my eye colour lighter therefore bring them out a little. Not until i tried this liner. This liner is a dark matte brown shade, which is close to black but definitely brown, in the pencil or on eyes. It somehow makes my browns look watery. And since it is about several shades darker than my eye colour but in the same colour range, it brings out my eyes, and it looks soft, feminine and original, not like the black liner everyone is using.