August 30, 2014 | 1746 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot - Groundwork

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2012 3:52:00 PM More reviews by ahuang300

I love this paint pot. It is my first and only paint pot from MAC. I wanted a cream shadow that I could use as a base for my shadows and wear by itself. It is a beautiful nutty gray-brown color that is really flattering on my olive NC-30 skin tone. It does not crease if I wear it alone and I find that it makes my shadows stay on my lids without fail as well. Great product.
The only reason I wouldn't repurchase this product is because I want to try out a few of the other paint pots in different colors.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2012 5:04:00 PM More reviews by suripopje

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

ETA: Still hate it on the eyes but I found out it WORKS as a lip primer. Groundwork is a neutral on me so I can use it to cancel out my lip colour and I can even use it to highlight the upper rim of my lips. At least it's multifunctional.

Underwhelmed with this product and quite frankly a bit pissed of with MAC. I thought I finally found a good neutral base for WOC but due to the grey and pink undertones in this paintpot it grays me out. I'm a bit annoyed that as a WOC I have to bend over backwards to find the most basic items in my skintone. I just want a neutral non shimmery paintpot to even out and brighten my eye, a WOC's version of say a painterly or a soft ochre, THAT SHOULDN"T BE TOO MUCH TO ASK (you'd think!). Could this be worn as an eyeshadow, yes and if you want a dark grayish taupe it will do (who wants that though?). As a neutral brightening eyeshadow base for WOC this fails. Two tumbs down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2012 11:35:00 PM More reviews by ChaseSpearing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was my very first MAC purchase ever. The woman at the MAC counter was very helpful.

Being a huge fan of the Maybelline Color Tattoo cream eyeshadows, I was definitely expecting this to be as good, if not better.

I am impressed.

Groundwork is an almost matte shade, which is what I was looking for. This is a very warm light brown, I don't know if I'm totally in love with it yet an update will be up soon!. But I do really like the finish and simplicity of both the color and the application.

Overall I do like it on lazy days when I can put a bit of this, some black eyeliner, and a bit of mascara and be out the door. A good purchase if you want a simple cream eyeshadow :)

UPDATE: I prefer to wear darker looks in the fall because my skin is so pale and I find the contrast really interesting. This has become my go-to color for all over my lid for fall. I work it from lashline to my crease, blend a bit, add some smokey liner and I'm out the door! It also stays put really well on my oily lids so that is a HUGE plus! The satin finish is completely unnoticeable on the eyes, but it does contrast very well with my green eyes :3

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by stls

I like Groundwork, it's a light/ medium neutral brown, pretty universal shade. For medium skintones can be used as a base for every look but I am quite pale so I prefer painterly for this purpose...
Well, back to Groundwork. I like the consistency very much, it's smooth, creamy lasts all day without creasing over TFSI.
I mostly use it for a a soft daytime smoky with a bit smudged brown eyeliner. For nights out I replace the brown eyeliner with black (Lisa Eldridge has a great tutorial using Groundwork)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2012 11:30:00 AM More reviews by dawndie23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Meh...

Groundwork was a bit of a disappointment for me. I was hoping for a color that was a match for my skintone but this one is a little chalky on me. Overall, I do like the Paint Pots, you really only need a tiny bit and they last a long time. However, I prefer the new 24-hour color tatoo's from Maybelline. I'm probably going to give my Groundwork to a friend and stick with my Color Tatoo's.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Emma32

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This really is a fantastic product.
It is a really natural brown colour that you can 'bung on' in a hurry to look really natural and define your eyes, or take a bit more time with and build up for a sexy darker eye.
The amount you get of the product is fantastic - you get so much! It really is value for money. I use this nearly every day and I have barely touched the surface of the product.
Can really recommend! I've given it a 5 for price, although it is expensive you get so much product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2012 7:11:00 PM More reviews by tyisha19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

the first PP i owned was painterly and i always liked it, not as an eyeshadow but as a base for my powder shadows. its a little drying but i make it work. Groundwork is not as light and blends a lil smoother i would say. plus it works great under my gold shadows. not to mention i dont think ill ever need to buy another one, there's so much in the jar it is worth the money. you only need a little for each eyelid. so i would definitely purchase if i run out and recommend to others.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2012 12:47:00 PM More reviews by deedee54

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

MAC Groundwork + Grain + Kid = fabulous!

I love this paintpot! It is my go to shadow to wear under just about any powder. I can't wear eyelid primers as they are too drying; I've tried several and they all seem to just suck all the moisture out of my eyelids. MAC Groundwork works perfectly as a primer. But what I really love about it is if I'm just not in the mood to do much on my eyes, I can use just Groundwork with a little mascara and I'm good to go. An everyday office appropriate look is Groundwork all over the lid up to and slightly beyond the crease; Grain all over the lid and Kid in the crease and outer V. It's a soft look and definately looks pulled together. I'll never be without Groundwork in my collection.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2012 1:38:00 PM More reviews by franzvonstuck

This was my first paintpot from MAC and I admit, I bought it because of Lisa Eldridgeīs tutorial. Sheīs very pale as I am and the colour worked for her, so I decided to give it a try.
For reference: Iīm a BB sand, MAC NC 20 with amber eyes and black lashes and eyebrows.
The colour is a tan colur with the tiniest bit of shimmering silver in it. MAC describes it as a mid-tone neutral taupe with a satin finish. I usually look awkward with warm browns on my lids as they donīt really emphasize my eyes. But it must be the shimmering silver in this colour, that prevents it from being overly warm.
It looks really like a mid-tone colour in a true sense, being neither too light or too dark on my lids. Thatīs what makes it perfect to give my eyes a little depth and a certain smokiness without being too overpowering. I assume itīs my pale skin colour that makes it look like that. Whereas Iīm not sure, it has the same effect on darker skin colours.
I use it for everyday make-up looks and itīs so versatile.
I simply wash it over my lids with wedge, omega or copperplate on top for a quick and polished look, when I donīt feel like putting a sophisticated eye-make-up on.
I use it with soft grey and cool browns to create a lighter smoky eye for daytime.
And I can build it up with black khol liner and dark grey crease colour for an evening look.
The only negative point is, I canīt use the colour on its own, because it is a little on the warmer side of colours and I have to "cool" the warm tones down with other shades. But great as a base colour on my lid.
I use my hands or a brush to apply the paint pot, both ways work well.
Allover this colour is a neutral everyday colour with so many options to use it. I donīt regret buying it and if it suits your skintone and eyecolour, give it a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 2:39:00 PM More reviews by Baloe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love, love, love this color. I was afraid that it would be too light on my eyes but it's perfect. It gives a natural look to my face and needs no other eye shadow on top. It's a nice every day eye shadow.