Burt's Bees Burt's Bees Sunscreen with Hemp Seed Oil Chemical Free

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 7/25/2009 12:52:00 PM

I HATE THIS STUFF! I can't get over how much this sunscreen sucks. This might be the worst product I have ever tried in my life. Leaves a gross film on your skin and if you try to rub it off it comes off and makes you look like your skin is shedding. I wish I would've read the reviews here before buying this $15 sunscreen.

on 5/8/2009 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine

This is a very weird product. Smells like stale sesame seeds. Is really too moisturising. Stains clothes. And leaves a white cast to your skin. The only plus: it didn't irritate my skin like so many other ss. Burt's Bees is a kinda hit or miss line and they don't seem to have the natural bit down. Pass on this one.
EDIT: I have a sunburn after 20 minutes in the sun, it's rolling off my skin in pills where I didn't get it all washed off afterward, and I have a big zit (and I'm 58--give me a break here, I never get big zits). I hate this and I'm writing to BB to tell them. This isn't simply about the product not being the right one for me, this is a seriously bad product.

on 4/27/2009 10:04:00 PM

I like the idea of chemical free, I bought this for my toddler who is 2, but I always try the product out on myself first.
1. You have to apply it very quickly before it dries.
2. Leaves your skin tacky/dry.
3. The white cast isn't so bad, but perhaps because I'm not very tan?
4. I actually don't mind the smell at all.

Conclusion: I won't be passing this on to DD, mostly because I'm worried after reading about the possible irritants it contains mentioned by another review.

on 11/27/2008 5:46:00 AM

The worst sunsceen I've ever used. Doesn't spread well, leaves a white cast, balls up, smells awful.

on 7/16/2008 6:17:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I just can't believe how many negative points I can make about this product. The sunscreen is a cream formula that dries quickly, so you can only apply and blend it in one small area at a time, otherwise it'll start flaking (and, being that it's a cream formula, why isn't its SPF higher than 15?). It also contains a lanolin-type fragrance that I could still smell on myself during the day, and I hated that. I'm mad at myself for paying more attention to this sunscreen's titanium dioxide 6.83% than about the other ingredients described on the tube: "Calendula, Witch Hazel and Goldenseal, a natural anti-inflammatory, soothe and soften." Why do we need anti-inflammatories on the face? This isn't explained. And when I looked up information on these ingredients, I was shocked to find out: Calendula poses "risk of eczematous allergic reaction" for those allergic to ragweed (which I am); Witch Hazel, "alcohol conent of 70 to 80 percent, can be irritating when used repeatedly on skin;" and Goldenseal, a plant which "can be a skin irritant." This was all unbelievable - a company constantly boasting of "natural" products, yet making something like this that can do so much harm. It'll be a LONG time before I look at the Burt's Bees shelves again.

on 7/8/2008 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

The packaging is good. The price is more than I usually spend on a bottle of sunscreen. The product itself wasn't so great. The smell really bothered me. It also did not blend well at all. If you don't mix it with a little oil (I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter Oil to dilute the smell of the sunscreen), then the product will sit on creases in your skin like your elbows and ball up in nasty flakes.

on 7/3/2008 2:14:00 PM

Bought on impulse, figuring, "How bad can it be? It's Burt's Bees. And it's chemical-free, so it won't irritate my skin."

Unfortunately, it irritated me to no end by balling up, staining my clothes, and generally feeling disgusting on my skin. Absolutely hideous stuff!! I was a bit annoyed at the application, because it seemed to ball up. A half-hour later, I noticed that it'd gotten all over my shirt, so I figured I'd just been careless during application. So tossed that shirt in the laundry, rubbed my arms and legs some more to ensure the sunscreen was absorbed everywhere, put on a new shirt...and stained that one, too!

Absolutely NOT a repurchase. Wish I'd read the reviews here first.

on 6/21/2008 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Woa! This stuff feels heavy! It was hard to spread and made makeup application difficult. I applied it "straight up" and couldn't stand the suffocating feeling on my skin and so I rinsed it off and applied it again, this time mixed a little witch hazel, just to lighten things up, but nope too much for me. I originally wanted to SPF 30 version, but could only find this one, SPF 15 version, but now that I have some idea of what I'm up against I think I'll try another line in terms of natural SPF. It get one lippie for being one of the few "natural" SPF's that is, mostly, natural. Back it goes to Target:(

Ingredients: Active Ingredient: titanium dioxide (6.83%)
Inactive Ingredients: water, cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil, glycerin, stearic acid, lophophyrum elongatum (wheatgrass) extract, oryzopisis miliacea (ricegrass) extract, collinsonia canadensis (stoneroot) extract, glucose, sucrose distearate, sucrose stearate, calendula officinalis flower extract, hydrastis canadensis (golden seal) extract, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) leaf extract, symphytum officinale (comfrey) extract, xanthan gum, sodium borate, lecithin, silica, acacia senegal gum, alginic acid, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, amyris balsamifera bark oil, copaifera officinalis (balsam copaiba) resin, pogostemon cablin (patchouli) oil, santalum album (sandalwood) oil, guaiacum officinale (guaiacwood) wood oil, aluminum hydroxide, fragrance, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase. - www.burtsbees.com continued >>

on 6/11/2008 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

good squeeze tube
nice smell, not the normal weird ss smell
100% natural, no chemicals

sticky, a little hard to blend in at first

i mixed this with a moisturizer to blend it in, it works so much better! i'm still trying to find a good sunblock without chemicals because those apparently seep into our skin, and this is the only one i can find right now

on 6/11/2008 9:51:00 AM

I took the risk of buying this product without checking on this review board first -- HUGE mistake! This product is really gross ... I was looking for a product to use on my neck and chest ... I didn't mind so much the white cast because it seemed to fade into my skintone after a while, but it was the smell of this product that really bothered me! It smells like incense! it also seems to leave a tacky film over the skin no matter how long I let it dry. ughhh ... what a waste of money ... i picked it up at a major drugstore and it cost over $20!