April 17, 2014 | 898 users online

Powder - Jane - Be Pure Mineral Makeup with *Puff attached*

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2008 12:13:00 AM More reviews by FedoraJane

I purchased this on a whim. The packaging was interesting design-wise- a purse-friendly jar with a puff covering the sifter/dispenser. In practice however, this package was actually a pain in the butt to use, and product failed to dispense evenly. To test this product out and give it a fair chance, I had to remove the puff.

The most memorable aspect of this product for me was the smell- and I must say I was a bit unsure about putting a product that smelled of burnt hair and dirt on my face.

But I'm incorrigible and curious when it comes to cheap MU, and applied it anyway.

Yikes! I'd have to say the results were not worth the smell or the packaging hassle. I tried it in Colorless, but it was by no means translucent - or even flesh-toned. It had a noticable orange cast.

And while it did conceal redness when layered, but got cakey between layers. Meh

no thanks

rated 1 of 5 on 2/28/2008 11:41:00 AM More reviews by 100percentaddicted

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So, so very bad. Like makeup from the dark ages of Tangee.
The only positive that could be offered is that no matter how bad you skin is it will look a thousand times better to you after you take this make up off of it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2008 12:44:00 PM More reviews by IvyGuppy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I actually bought this product awhile ago, when it first came out. I have the one in Fair. Like others have mentioned the packaging is awful; it's a little shaker jar with a spongy puff attached, blocking the holes. I tried shaking it vigorously a long time, hoping some of the product would come out...nada. Eventually, as others have said, I, too, resorted to cutting off the puff. The mmu has a matte finish and the color wasn't a bad match for me, but it just looked horrible on me. I used an EM kabuki brush to apply the makeup, and it looked cakey and enlarged my pores. Yuck! It also made my face all itchy; I didn't realize it contains bismuth when I bought it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2008 1:37:00 PM More reviews by amy813

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I guess I am in the minority here. I got this in a swap. I agree the sponge applicator puff sucks, I don't use it. But the actual product is very good. Perfect coverage and the fair shade is a perfect match for my NC20 skintone. I buff it on with my EM Flat top brush which works 1,000X's better than the puff that is attached to this. This is probably the best drugstore mineral makeup I've tried. I would purchase again. EDITED: After using this for a few weeks, it has begun breaking me out. Back to EM!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2007 1:56:00 AM More reviews by Cookie1986

This is the first mineral foundation i have ever tried and i like it. maybe other mineral formulas are better, i don't know. i bought the "fair" shade. it makes my skin feel good. i have combination skin and always have to dust my forehead and chin with powder but with this i don't need to. and i do not have any dry patches when i use this. it evened out my skin tone nicely and i can use a lot without having it feel like i caked it on. and i like that it is easy to apply with a fluffy brush (i dont use the puff), its just like putting on powder and its pretty much foolproof if you blend it well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2007 6:47:00 PM More reviews by kak513

I'm not particularly impressed with this, but nor did I really expect to be. Grabbed it for free-with-rebate at Walgreens, and I've been using in infrequently ever since. The little puff is bad--I plucked it right off, and instead shake some powder into the lid and use the smallish EM kabuki to get in there and swirl around. No mess with this since the lid edges are so high! Smells very makeupy, however, which was a shock to my system after basically only using EM for so long. I grabbed the lightest color, but not colorless. I completely agree with the reveiwer who mentioned that colorless shade is actually darker than the lightest named shade! The color works fine on my very pale complexion, and it easy to buff in. However, it seems to draw the oil right out of my skin, and I'm forced to blot a couple of times per day, and not just on the usual T-zone, I'm talking about greasy cheeks! Nothing like this has happened before to me with other brands of mineral makeup, so I know it's something in this particular mix. Not irritating to my skin at all, but it does seem to migrate a little--probably due to the oil slick it causes. I would totally use this as an occasional de-shiner and keep it in my purse if the damn puff actually worked. I'll put it back on and give it another try, but otherwise, I'm not convinced I ever need to repurchase this.

UPDATE 4/4/08: I've been using this on and off randomly for the last few months without great results. Very recently, however, the puff decided to start cooperating and now it's incredibly easy to get enough of the product on my face (and shirt and counter and sink!) Pounding it directly on my face isn't very comfortable, but after a few times, it's much easier to apply enough for the coverage I want. I don't intend to repurchase, but I'll more than likely use this up.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2007 3:01:00 PM More reviews by kimball

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the "bronzer" version of this and agree with other posters on the puff issue--hate it. The color is very matte, which I don't mind, but I had to use quite a bit of the stuff, and once the color showed it was very splotchy. I couldn't seem to wipe any of it off to blend it. It really is a very difficult product to use for minimal payoff. My only saving grace is the I got it at Walgreen's and you get your money back on the entire price this month as a "freebate" promo. Otherwise, I'd feel pretty ripped off.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2007 12:17:00 PM More reviews by jamtexas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this in colorless. I figured I would use my own brush anyway, and you get twice as much makeup in this package as the one with the brush included. Coverage was almost nonexistent, didn't last, and it seemed like I used much more than I do with L'Oreal's mineral makeup. I don't hate it, I don't like it, just wish I hadn't bothered.

Some people here like it, so try it if you're still looking for something that works for you, but you won't really be saving money since you get half as much product as most drugstore brands in the puff container and a quarter of the amount in the brush container.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2007 8:51:00 AM More reviews by genalewis

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh, this is sooooo bad! My little 2-year-old step-daughter got into a new jar of my Physicians Formula loose mineral powder and dumped it all over herself (oops!), so I wanted to find something a little cheaper to replace it with. I came across this and thought I would give it a try.

I should have just gotten a new Physicians Formula. The "Colorless" shade was very orange on me, as I am VERY pasty. I supposed the color would work if I'd had a sunless tan going on, but on my ivory skin it just wasn't working. It does melt into the skin, as the description on the package states, but that for me meant that it wasn't nearly as blendable as some other brands. So I ended up being blotchy and orange. Yuck. I actually had to wash this right off and refused to walk out of the house looking like this.

The packaging was also terrible. The product is supposed to flow down to the nasty sponge applicator under the screw-off top, but there is no way you can adequately apply mineral makeup this way. Fortunately, the applicator top also screws off and you can get a brush down in there., but it is way more work than it should be to get into the makeup when you do that.

Something else of note is that the price is almost $7 for about a third of the product that Physicians Formula gives you. It's not worth the money, especially for an inferior product. I would gladly let my step-daughter dump the Jane product on herself, because I certainly don't have a clue what I'm going to do with the rest of it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2007 12:22:00 PM More reviews by merinetrader

Tried this product instead of the Loreal Bare Nat. mineral makeup.
What a disappointment !!!! Terrible packaging, the foam applicator is the WORST. Makes a real mess. I have oily skin. For the first 2 hours
it looked pretty good on my skin, and then later on my face face turned into a real oil-field. Color match was good. Will be returning this before I break out.