August 22, 2014 | 2004 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2014 10:07:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

At first, I was worried that this color (pinky-beige) would look very strange against my yellow NC25 skin. I have natural (brown-y) darkness around my eyes. I can conceal my undereye area with other products, but usually I just apply eyeshadow on top of my upper lid without compensating for the darkness there.

Painterly solves that issue in one go - it neutralizes the brown of my eyelids and leaves me a smooth, nude canvas upon which to apply eyeshadow. I just use my finger to blend a little bit of Painterly on each lid every morning before applying other eye products.

Is this product necessary? No, I've survived many years without it. However, it's a nice touch for when I want my eyeshadows to look flawless and more true to their pan colors. (I may be imagining it but I think blending my eyeshadows on top of Painterly is easier than it would be otherwise!)

NOTE: I always apply Painterly over Nars eyeshadow primer. I don't know how well the Paint Pots work alone on my oily lids, but I won't risk it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by lili89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

I cannot live w/o this little thing. Ladies, no more creases on your eyeshadow, no more oily lids. If you have a day job, it will be 5pm and you still look faboulous! If you are going out, you can get trashed and your eyeshadow still look faboulous. I usually apply with my fingertips, but a concealer brush is better. Beware of using brushes, make sure they are clean, unless you want an eye infection and your Dr. Tells you to throw away all your makeup, it will hurt your wallet... Anyways, this product is another reason why for me MAC is one of my favorite makeup lines. Try it!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 11:21:00 PM More reviews by ladadadadi

Alright! I want to put out there that I have VERY oily eyelids! So, with that being said, using this as a primer was a big no no for me. My eyeshadows creased within a few hours of applying. However! I found a shining light while experimenting! I placed my $1 eyelid primer by E.L.F on first THEN the paint pot and continued on with my routine. My eyeshadow lasts alllllllllllll day now! :D Goodness. If you're thinking it's a little too expensive let me say that this stuff lasts forever! Less is more (:

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2014 12:38:00 PM More reviews by safrager

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Love it as a primer. Keeps my MAC powder eye shadows true until I remove them at night. When I want to run out with very minimal makeup, I can use it on just my lids to brighten my eyes.
My eyes are little crapey but I don't have a problem with it caking. Colour good for my fair-medium skin. Not crazy about the pot is comes - would prefer something flat so I can get all of it out of the container.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by willow1992

This stuff is amazingg! And it lasts all day. I use it with brown/natural eyeshadow on the top of it or alone, because it gives a really natural sort of colour. It's really easy to blend and goes on easy. This is definitely a must have. I also think it blends really well with brown/natural eyeshadow. Will definitely repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 5:06:00 AM More reviews by nickys79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

Use this every day, I have quite red veiny eyelids so always need something more than the usual 'tinted' eye primers and this is the baby for me!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2014 9:03:00 AM More reviews by missbioniclegs

Brilliant little product, I use it a few ways. I use it on it's own sort of like a concealer for the top lid, evens out discolouration and looks like I naturally have lovely eyelids. It's a great base for eyeshadow and I find it looks smoother and lasts longer. I also use it to tidy up any mistakes with either eyeliner or if I go to far up with the eyeshadow.

I really really love this product and it would be a staple that I would re-purchase over and over and over but I am worried that MAC are testing on animals so I'm not sure I will be re-purchasing anything by them unless this changes :(

UPDATE: I say this with a heavy heart as I adore MAC's products and doubt I'll find replacements for many but I cannot repurchase their products now that they are not cruelty free due to supplying China. :( I cannot support cruelty for my own vanity.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2014 6:12:00 PM More reviews by LuccaL

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I can have quite red eyelids or a few obvious veins, so I went to MAC and bought Painterly a while ago, because of the hype. I applied it with my fingertip, and it was really smooth. I absolutely loved it, because it looked natural, and covered up my 'discolouration' without looking cakey. And the packaging is really chic, simple and modern.

However... my eyeshadow did crease within an hour. I have normal skin but oily eyelids, and it annoys me so much, since I can't find anything to make my eyeshadow stay.

I asked my friend, also with oily eyelids, to try it out with the Urban Decay Primer Potion underneath, since I don't own it myself. It did last a whole lot longer, but you could definitely tell that it creased after about 4-5 hours I think.

In the end, it's not a 'love or hate product', it's a 'love but hate product'. I wouldn't purchase it again, even though I absolutely love the colour and the way it makes my eyelid look for a while. But a while just isn't enough. It's an okay product, and I bet it works perfectly on persons without oily eyelids (jealous!) :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by roziebabe

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! It makes my eye make up stay put all day and is the perfect base if you are like a natural looking eye. It stops that shinny/greasy looking effect that you get at the end of a long day. I even use this product with out eye shadows on top some days because it really brightens and open your eye area up! LOVE LOVE LOVE.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 12:36:00 AM More reviews by hanabi318

This is one of my favorite eyeshadow bases. It helps even out the color on my eyelids before I apply any eyeshadow. If I apply it thinly enough, the eyeshadows don't crease until late at night. I don't have oily eyelids, so I do need a good eye cream before I apply this product. That being said, I use this more in the warmer days; in the cold weather, I need to warm up the product, but once applied, it's still difficult to blend, especially the edges.