October 23, 2014 | 1705 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Farouk CHI - Chi Ceramic Flat Iron by Farouk

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2013 11:25:00 AM More reviews by VeruskaRai

This iron was a good iron, but for 100 bucks I don't want good, I want great. As far as my hair goes it didn't damage it, no singeing, tugging, yanking, etc.My curls and straight hair last all day with it. My issues are with the iron setting. It only has one flat setting, you cant change it around, which is ok for me b/c I have fine hair, but what about people with coarser hair. It also has no auto on/off featur. I would leave my iron on plenty of time because of my morning rush and would come home and luckily the house didn't burn down. For being so expensive I feel like any iron should come with that feature. I dropped it too many times and it no longer works but I got about two years use out of it and I got mine on sale for 89 bucks at overstock.com and it came with a free treatment oil worth 20 dollars, so I feel I still got a deal. It's out of warranty but I'm saving it and sending it to a place that repairs them for 30 dollars.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Rachel15makeupqueen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

These used to be the best straighteners but now they aren't as good of quality

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 8:52:00 PM More reviews by underage

This is my second hair straightener ever. I used the Sedu for many years and I definitely prefer that straightener over this one. I got this from Ulta for around $99. I feel like it makes my hair extremely dry and doesn't glide through it like the Sedu did. I always used my Sedu to curl my hair but I stopped curling it after I got this straighter because it made it so fried and would pull the hairs out. I don't really get the hype about this. It's also terrible at straightening hair. My hair is not difficult to work with but when I try and straighten it with this it almost looks worse. I would not recommend this to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 1:27:00 AM More reviews by Dannibee123

I absolutely LOVE my chi... my hairstylist used it on me so I got one off e-bay for around $60 and it works amazingly! It helps smooth frizz and works FAST! I have frizzy curly hair and it only takes me 15 minutes or less to straighten my entire head! It also works great to create flawless curls/waves! I've had it for a year and a half and it still works great!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 10:34:00 PM More reviews by 1029384756

SUPERRR expensive I got mine as a hand me down. It's 5-6 years old but honestly it still works great. Makes my super damaged hair looks soft and shiny and silky unlikely any other I've used. Yes I know flat ironing is bad but at least with this one it looks healthy. As far as flat irons go this is the best I've used.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by thereisalwayshope

DAMAGE CITY!

There is no switch to accurately control the heat production of this flat iron, which in turn will burn the crap out of your hair. This straightener heats up to about 450 degrees which is enough to melt your cuticle off. Please avoid this tool, just because it is a CHI does not mean it will not completely ruin your hair. The temporary good hair days are not worth the long term damage caused by this particular iron.

Look for a straightener that allow you to control heat. I use the instyler now on the low setting and it is wonderful!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2013 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Saspants

CRAP! That is the best description for the Chi brand straightening iron. These irons used to be top quality but due to mass production the quality has steadily gone down hill. I have owned 4 of these irons and they have all ended up in the trash. The last two I purchased, number 5 & 6, were impulse purchases. Number 5 was broken out of the box and would not turn on so it was immediately returned. Number 6 was purchased when I left my T3 iron at home during a trip so I ran into Ulta and grabbed a Chi. Used it once and it took numerous passes over the same section to calm the waves and frizz. The problem with this is that I have fine hair but I do have a lot of it and going over the same area over and over is very damaging. I returned it immediately and got my money back and used it to purchase a T3 compact iron for travel.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 1:17:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

Now that I have a chi flat iron (and have had it fot about five years now)... I will NEVER go back to anything else. I know different brands and those lame kiosks at the mall like to think that they have the better product- they are wrong. I understand that this flat iron is pretty expensive and is not within everyones budget, bit its definatly an investment well worth every penny. I would buy the conair, revlon flat irons... but after 6 months to a year, they would short out or the heater would stop working. This gets really old because it always seems to happen when you really need it most. I never have to worry about that with my chi. Its ALWAYS dependable, heats up within a matter of seconds, and gets the job done in half the time it would take with any of my old flat irons. To those who are on the fence about making this pirchase... JUMP! it will be the best thing you do.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2013 12:33:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A little background: I'm half black and half white which can be a blessing and a curse hair wise. Genetics is always a crap shoot and, depending on how you look at things, my hair is either fabulous or a total mess. My hair isn't exactly like a black woman's and it isn't exactly like a white woman's. That means that I could never do what either group can do to "fix" my hair. My hair is super curly (mostly tightly wound curls) and frizzy leaning towards the 'fro side if left to its own devices but basically very fine. Growing up I had two hairstyles - pig tails and a pony tail - because, well, that's all I could ever figure out to do with it because any thing else ended up in a mass of tangles. I can comb all the tangles out of my hair and, one minute later, turn my head and my hair gets tangled. I'm not being the slightest bit facetious when I say that either. Keeping my hair untangled when it's curly is impossible.

Back in the 80s and 90s, I generally tried every thing I could get my grubby hands on to "fix" my hair. By "fix" I mean get it under some kind of control so it's not a tangled mess so I could ditch the pony tail. I've tried drugstore flat irons which are generally useless to me. They basically smushed my hair into flat, funny smelling half curls that bounced right back after an hour. I also tried a regular iron which resulted in the same smushed, funny smelling tresses. I tried applying hair grease (got a good case of dandruff from that), no conditioner, lots of conditioner, no shampoo washes, egg/mayonnaise masks, over-the-counter-relaxers (got a good case of fried hair from those), hot curlers (why?), pin curlers (again, why?), silicone serums, and even activator (ie Jheri curl spray....not my idea, it was done by a well meaning babysitter). Natch, none of this mess worked so I figured my lot in life was just unmanageable, frizzball hair. Since technology is mostly wonderful, some genius finally figured out how to heat up ceramic to help vain, frizzy headed girls like myself. Enter the Chi.

I did loads of research before I purchased this flat iron. I chose the Chi mainly based on the generally positive reviews and the price. I wasn't about to spend $250 on something I wasn't sure would work or if I could even manage to get to work myself. I waited a week after buying it to finally use it because, honestly, who wants to be disappointed straight away after plopping down $100 for something? The first time I used it, it wasn't a complete success mainly because my technique was terrible and I didn't use any kind of product (I now use Redken Straight Lissage Align 12 Lotion along with a heat protectant). Despite my crap technique, I still managed to get my hair pretty darn straight. Even my mother, who has been there from day one on my terrible hair journey, was surprised.

I've had my Chi for at least two years now and, thankfully, my technique has improved. I used to let my hair air dry and then I would straightened it but I (finally) learned to blow dry my hair properly and then use the Chi. This routine gets me straighter results more quickly. Yes, I do have to go over sections more than once but since my hair is super curly this is a given. Even when I go to a salon, the stylists have to do that as well. The Chi gets my hair super straight and it stays that way. I cheat a bit and typically only wash my hair every few days so I don't have to do the blow dry/straighten routine on a daily basis and this works for me.

All that said, there are probably better/faster irons out there but I'm of the "if it ain't broke" mindset mainly because my Chi still works. I've never had a problem with it conking out or performing in a way that disappoints me. It still takes only a few seconds to get super hot. It also hasn't fried my hair but I'm pretty diligent about using a heat protectant when I blow dry and iron my hair. I'll even go so far as to say the Chi saved my life. My hair life anyway. I now have hair that's actually under control and easy to deal with. No more tangled mess and pony tails!

While I do get lazy sometimes and chuck my whole routine to give my hair and my arm a break, I always go back because the results are fabulous. I'm still on the fence about buying another Chi because I've read that other irons (like the GHD) are better but I would recommend the Chi to others. If it can tame my wild mane, I'm confident it can help other people.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have the type of hair that drug-store flat irons cannot hope to tame. It's curly, it's coarse, it's thick, and there's a freaking ton of it. The CHI makes it completely smooth, completely frizz-free (which is something of a miracle for me, haha) and my hair stays straight for days.

If I'm being honest, I don't know if this is unique to the CHI itself, or to all high-end flat irons--I've only ever used the CHI, and my hairdresser uses the "Superstar" which also works well. I've found it's price pretty competitive--it usually runs about $100, but you can usually find it on sale somewhere. Many other irons of it's calibre run between $130-$150 or so.

I am on my second CHI iron--the first one died after about a year of frequent use (3-4 times/week.) I've had my second one for 4 years and counting. I have noticed that their efficacy decreases with time--when I first got it, it took about 25 minutes to do my entire head, and now it takes 30-40. However, that's still a fraction of the time it takes me with other irons, so I consider it well worth it. To be safe, I'd buy it from a store with a generous return policy/warranty.