September 1, 2014 | 1614 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2012 3:39:00 PM More reviews by commercesd

My hair is very fine and slightly wavy. Even in my 50s, I have very little gray. I usually like to lighten it a shade or two and use a bronze type of brown. The Feria bronze browns are my favorite, and I really should have stuck with that.

I colored my hair with a foam product by John Frieda -- a medium golden brown that looked beautiful on the box. I've been coloring my hair myself for years. I was shocked to see that my hair came out nearly black.

I tried all the tricks to lighten it -- Prell, dish soap. It lightened very little. I thought perhaps I could manage and let it fade over time, but every time I saw myself in the mirror I just got depressed. The color was just way too dark for someone my age and skin tone.

After reading reviews, I decided to take a chance and boy am I ever glad that I did. The only one I could find in the store was the strongest version. I did the strand test and saw that it lightened it up a great deal.

I wanted to be prepared in case my hair came out too light. I couldn't get to the beauty supply to get protein filler to use before coloring again, so I decided to use the emergency Clairol Beautiful Brown warm golden brown I have on hand if necessary.

I followed the instructions to the letter. I found that I only needed half the bottle, since my hair is so fine. It is long, but I never have to use a whole bottle of anything on my hair!

I decided to process my hair for less time with the Color Oops since the test strand came out so light.

I kept checking the color during the processing time - and when my hair lightened to the shade desired- probably around 10-12 minutes total - immediately started the washing and rinsing process.

The key is to really follow that instruction about doing period strand tests. Don't just wait the whole 20 minutes. Depending on the type of hair you have and the dye process you used, you may not need to process the whole time. That could be why some people come out with orange hair.

It could be that I needed less time because I was using the extra strength.

I must say that 20 minutes of rinsing is a really, really long time. But I stuck it out to make sure all the stuff was rinsed out. My hair seemed a bit stiff. I conditioned it for 5 minutes and found that my hair is silky, a great color and seems to have more life than it did before using Color Oops.

My old stylist taught me some tricks -- one of which is a Godsaver that I will share. If a color comes out too light -- or your hair fades too fast - use a semi-perm color such as the Clairol Beautiful products... They have all shades in the beauty supply; I use the Beautiful Browns. They may have changed the name, but it comes in a small brown bottle and costs under $4. I can get 2 uses out of one bottle.

In my case, I did not need to recolor -- which was a relief. With my fine, thinning hair, I didn't want to be coloring it again right away.

But if my hair continues to fade too fast, I will just use the Clairol Beautiful Browns temporarily - until I think my hair is strong enough to endure another coloring process. But this time, it will be my tried and true Feria bronze color. No more John Frieda coloring products for me.

As for the price, it was on sale at Wags for 9.99 (regularly 14.99) - so that was great, too. Now if I would just have remembered to use the $1 off coupon I'd printed out, it would have been 8.99! Look online for coupons -- and don't forget to use them!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2012 4:25:00 PM More reviews by SarahAshlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product pretty much did what it was supposed to do, and that is help fix mistakes. It never said it'd be perfect (it even gives you a warning I believe). The smell wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't awful. It didn't quite lift all the black from my constantly dyed, but naturally medium brown, but it did lift where my hair had been most recently dyed. Any part that had been dyed months back lifted a little bit, but nothing noticeable. However, where I had dyed my bangs blue previously, then black again, came out a coppery brown color (which works well to my advantage since it will soon be orange). I would not recommend this product to anyone who is impatient, picky, or wanting quick results.
I plan on trying it again if it's not as light as I hope after it dries completely.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2012 8:11:00 PM More reviews by LWFlorida67

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been coloring my hair black for three years. My natural color is dark brown with copper highlights. I wanted to lighten up my hair to a more natural look and decided to give Color Oops a try and it worked! The smell is not that bad, some of these reviews are so dramatized. It's not as bad as a perm or hair color smell. I kept it on for 20 minutes and washed and rinsed my hair twice. Got my dark brown back. It does leave your hair very porous so I would wait a day or two before re-coloring if you plan too. It didn't damage my hair and my hair is very fine. I actually think it's in better condition because black hair color is the worst color you can put on your hair as far as damaging. It's worth the money. I paid $14 at CVS.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2012 2:04:00 AM More reviews by dennings

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was surprised how well this worked. I had dyed my hair about a month ago, and it came out too red. It was a semi-permanent color bu those always seem to act like permanent color with my hair! I didn't want to wait for the color to grow out. I used color oops and it totally worked, it removed the hair color and it just looks like my natural color. I didn't rinse for 20 minutes, more like 10. Washed it again, rinsed for 5 the second time. It worked!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by kimlitt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have Salt and Pepper hair that I love. It just seems REALLY white/bright in the summer when I have a tan. I thought I'd try something different and put in a brown color.
Well, it turned our REALLY, REALLY, REALLY DARK - almost black. I tried the dandruff shampoo, the vitamin C tablets - nothing worked. Tried this as a last resort. Well, its not brown/black anymore - it is a DARK AUBURN like color.
Tried it again today and this time there was no change at all. Pissed @ myself for even trying to dye it. Luckily I have a short, naturally curly do - I can cut it shorter and grow out the rest.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2012 3:20:00 AM More reviews by imjmarquez

In my experience, this product worked wonderful! I've been dying my hair Black for the past three years! I bought it hoping it at least go back to my natural color Dark Brown. So when the twenty minutes were done i looked at it and i could see a little bit of fading. I though nothing if it. I really didn't think it was going to work anyways. So after I got out of the shower i was stunned! My hair was actually lighter then my natural hair color! This product is freaking amazing! The smell is bad but some people here exaggerated. And the smell does linger a little bit after you rinse your hair. But its all worth it. I am totally buying this again!... By the way i used the EXTRA STRENGTH!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2012 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Dustylove

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Girls, this is a fantastic product. I dyed my hair "Dark Blonde" permanent color two weeks ago in an attempt to even out my past-shoulder length, fine hair, which was 1) dark brown/greyish roots, and 2) the rest an overbleached and many-colored blondes and light browns, all dull.
The result was too dark and very ashy. Also no shine.
I bought the Color Oops after reading all reviews and cautions (thanks everyone!).
I did exactly as instructed, including rinsing the full 20 minutes, 2nd shampoo, and rinsing another 5.
Then I deep conditioned, put on shower cap and towel, and waited 1 hour.
Rinsed out and air-dried.

My hair has NEVER LOOKED BETTER! It is a beautiful light golden blonde, curly and shiny. I feel like Taylor Swift!!! :+)

Altthough I plan to get that protein filler others recommended for next time I wash my hair just to strengthen it, I will leave it alone. It is glorious! I highly recommend Color Oops.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 5:48:00 PM More reviews by nicolemarieee

This product saved my hair! I dyed it with natural instincts semi permanent dark brown and it came out JET BLACK. I looked like a witch. My hair was literally dark as night. I tried hot oil treatments and all that jazz and it barely faded. So I decided to use color oops and I'm so thankful I did. It left me with a natural chestnut color. I was worried it was gonna be orange but it's not! The product doesn't even smell bad like people say.. at first I was like hey this smells good! Because it smelled very fruity.. but once I started applying it the smell kicked in. It doesn't smell like rotten eggs, more like car exhaust fumes. The smell does linger a tiny bit but it'll go away after you shower. It left my hair drier than usual obviously but it's not damaged. Overall I'm very pleased with this product and i'm so glad my hair isn't ugly black anymore.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2012 10:34:00 PM More reviews by spiritedastray

This really does work, in my experience. I bought it when I first started dying my hair black - The very first black dye I used did not turn out very pretty, and my hair looked very inky and dull. I bought a box of this, which was very inexpensive at the drugstore, and used it to remove the original black color. Let me tell you that it does smell absolutely disgusting. I was coughing and gagging in my bathroom and had to go outside for some of the process. It lifted the black right off my hair. My natural color is a dark auburn, but by the time the Color Oops was done setting, my roots were a yellow-blonde color and my roots were red-orange. Freaky! You then have to stand in the shower and wash your hair for forty-five minutes, no exaggeration. I will be honest and say that the process was miserable. However, once I had washed it out of my hair, I waited a few hours for it to dry and then applied the new color. It came out beautifully in the end, and my hair didn't feel too damaged even after being dyed, stripped, and dyed again within two days. I didn't have a problem with the dark color returning, but then again, I was dying my hair black. Not a fun thing to do, but if you ever find yourself hating the new color on your hair, this is an effective product.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/12/2012 3:57:00 PM More reviews by asj6459

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A little history on my hair. I'm 52 with heavy white around my face and dark blonde/white mix throughout the rest of my head. It hits a bit below my shoulder blades and I've been having highlights (bleached) and lowlights professionally done for a number of years. This past fall, on a whim, I decided to go red. I used a permanent drugstore brand hair dye. I stayed red, going to my stylist until last month. Then I decided I wanted to go back to blonde for the summer. My stylist was less than enthusiastic, and actually started tearing up when I told her. She was afraid my hair would melt when she did highlights on top of "hidden" highlights. So, I decided to fix it myself. LOL!! I started by using a green based light blonde Clairol permanent dye. The highlighted portions of my hair, though hidden under red, sucked up that dye and I was left with warm brown hair with hideously dark, almost black streaks all around my face! Yikes! I read up on Color Oops and decided to give it a try. I bought the extra strength. I fully expected to be bowled over by the noxious smell, based upon what I had read here, but I have to say the smell was not nearly as bad as I expected. Yeah, it wasn't roses, but it didn't bother me and didn't linger in my hair past a couple of shampoos. I DID the strand test and the 24 hour skin patch test, to be sure A) my hair wouldn't melt and B) I wasn't allergic to the chemicals. The strand test didn't lighten as much as I would like, but my hair seemed in decent condition afterwards, so I proceeded. I left it on for the recommended 20 minutes and then shampooed twice and rinsed for 25 minutes. I then shampooed again and rinsed another 5. While it definitely lightened my hair overall, it certainly did not remove all the color. The previously black streaks were now a darker brown, and the rest of my hair lightened to a light reddish brown. I then applied Joico Kpak Reconstructive Conditioner to my towel dried hair and covered with a plastic cap. I slept in it overnight. The next morning, my hair felt soft and healthy. I don't believe the Color Oops did any damage at all. The next weekend, I went to a new stylist (my old one still doesn't want to touch my hair, LOL) and she did heavy highlights. She said my hair seemed to be in great condition. While Color Oops did not remove all of the layers of hair color, it did lighten the most recent color quite a bit. All in all I was pretty happy with it and would definitely use it again.