November 22, 2014 | 1400 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2014 6:44:00 PM More reviews by sarahashleymac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Love love love this powder. It works so well with studio fix fluid foundation along with other foundations too. I find as soon as I apply it, it somehow blurs all my imperfections and just finishes everything nicely. It creates a very matte finish, so if you prefer a luminous or natural finish this may not be the powder for you. I am so glad it comes in NW10- which is the perfect shade for my very pale skin. It keeps me matte throughout the day, although if I apply a bit too much I use Mac's fix+ spray to avoid looking cakey. I have repurchased this in the past and I really hope they never discontinue this because it definitely has HG status for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 8:12:00 AM More reviews by MissSkye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great powder foundation, and works well as a setting powder if you need that extra bit of coverage. I have quite pale skin and use the N3 shade. I can get away with using it with just concealer and primer underneath if my skin is in a good state, its also great over tinted moisturisers and bb creams. The sponge application gives really full coverage, especially if you press it in with a dampened sponge. The pressed powder is a good consistency and doesn't look chalky on the skin, its also doesn't come away from the compact too loosely so when using a brush you're not wasting too much product. One thing I will say is I wish you could buy refills, in australia it costs AU$49 so it would be nice to cut down the cost by only having to buy the product and not the packaging every single time, in saying that I really like the mac packaging and this is no exception, its a great size to keep on your dresser and throw into your handbag or clutch on the go. Will most likely keep this in my beauty routine forever!
xoxo Miss Skye

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 6:47:00 AM More reviews by katy42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I stopped using Studio Fix over 12 years ago, but have come back to it by accident and definitely won't be giving it up!

Back then I used NC40, which went on a little chalky sometimes (NC42 too orangey and dark for me) but then oxidised, and I found that this product made my face look shiny as the day wore on and emphasised my pores.

I recently offered to order my sister's Studio Fix NC40 for her online (she's used it for ever and it always looks so flawless and natural on her!) because she didn't have time to go to the shops. Unfortunately I ordered C40 by mistake and couldn't cancel the order. I couldn't return it straight away either, as I was housebound recovering from foot surgery.

When she came to pick up her order she convinced me to try on the unwanted C40 and we were both amazed at the colour match, which is the best I've ever had in 30+ years of foundation purchasing! I think it's even better than the Prescriptives Custom Blend I used to buy. My skin also looked flawless.

The colour match alone made me determined to make Studio Fix work for me this time so I've figured out a good application method for my currently combination skin, which might be of help to anyone else who's had the same problems with this product in the past;
1. Start with a light textured moisturiser with sunscreen (keep the layers as few as you can)
2. Add primer - really makes a difference
3. Apply with a brush (MAC 109 in my case - I've reviewed this item), not the sponge pad, buffing it over and into the skin, and here's the important bit...
4. APPLY WITH A LIGHT TOUCH!
5. If it starts breaking up or going shiny during the day, re-blend with a dry sponge/puff and/or top with a sheer setting powder. Touching up with more Studio Fix will just look heavy and cakey, and make the product more likely to emphasise pores.

I've found that one application will last all day, and I may only need to re-blend after 5 hours or so. In comparison my previous Bobbi Brown foundation + setting powder combo would disappear by lunchtime. Studio Fix also works really well as a concealer, patted on with a flat brush before overall application.
I'm giving it 5 stars overall for the shade match and flawless appearance, although at the moment I'm 4+ for wear - still can't get it to stay matte all day but I'll play around with application techniques until I get there.
**Update** Doesn't stay matte all day but I get more of a dewy rather than shiny look which is good enough for me! I've also started applying it with my Real Techniques Expert face Brush which is meant for liquid foundation but gives a flawless, long lasting finish with the Studio Fix.
Having read many reviews it seems that the NC shades of Studio Fix have a general tendency to oxidise, which I haven't found with this C shade; in fact, it adapts really well to changes in my skin tone, which can vary on a daily basis. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 7:58:00 PM More reviews by ang_c

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Some make up products creep up on you. You don't know how reliant you are on them and how excellent they are until you realise you have been using it for years. That's Studio Fix for me. It took me a while to work out my correct shade because I'm pale yellow, almost green, but with some brownish pigmentation. It's actually NC25, although I've recently tried NC20 as my winter skin is paler. It turns out that both shades are the same depth, but NC20 has more yellow. I dust a thin layer on with a kabuki brush and then spray a rosewater toner on a tissue and dab to make it sink into the skin and take away the powdery look. It's looks very natural but evens out my skin. I even use a little under my eyes and it mutes my shadows a little. Highly recommended (better than Stila, Bobbi Brown and Dior powder foundations - these are the only others I've tried).

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 12:23:00 PM More reviews by MeganRodewald

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been buying this product for the past 8 years. Absolutely love it. I wear alone, on top of tinted moisturizer, or on top of foundation....I absolutely love it. The coverage is amazing and works well with my oily skin. It has a very matte finish, which I love. I have tried other powders over the years just to see what else is out there, but i ALWAYS go back to MAC studio fix. definitely my HG - cant-live-without FAVORITE powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by grapes123xo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is by far my fav foundation because i am one who likes multi purpose products and anything to make my makeup routine quicker. You apply this just like powder but end up with a perfect fave of foundation and your skin is matte. I read thay its e ven full coverage. Honestly, i hope they dont stop making this.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by UrbanFacedMacnamedNYX

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This foundation was horrible for me. I didn't care for the coverage or how it made my skin feel. I felt like I had on foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2014 5:54:00 AM More reviews by mellouise

I like to keep some of this on hand for travel and if I'm in a hurry. I only use it occasionally, so I'm not sure if it would break me out nowadays. I'm NC20, Fairly Light in original BM. I like how you can rub your finger in it and pat on extra for areas that need extra coverage. I always use a primer underneath, and follow with mac concealers on top. Will often add mv to powder finish as in my younger days it got greasy and oxidised.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2014 10:05:00 AM More reviews by csquared14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

You guys. This stuff is NUTS. HG status, for sure.

I've been in the market for an upgrade to my foundation for awhile now. I'd been using Revlon's Color Stay Whipped Foundation, which is a really good product for the price. However, after switching up my anti-acne regimen to a prescription topical treatment known for causing severe dryness, I desperately needed something that a) covered up the hyperpigmentation left behind by my clearing skin and b) was a bit more forgiving to the dry patches that come with strong acne meds. I also really needed something that wouldn't settle into the enlarged pores on my cheeks that my breakouts had left behind - with my old foundation, my skin texture actually looked much better without makeup (discoloration was a different story), because the cream foundation would settle into the pores and make them extremely noticeable.

A good history with MAC products led me to Studio Fix. To be honest, I had some serious doubts about whether a powder good possibly give the coverage I need, but the Makeup Alley reviews were so positive that I decided to give it a go. It's $27 - not cheap, but still on the lower end of prestige foundations for sure. MAC packaging has never been my favorite aesthetically - the lettering always wipes off, the matte black starts to look a bit icky - but this is functional, which is all I can really ask for. It comes with a sponge, but I really don't suggest using it - for one, sponges are harder to keep hygienic, but you also have more control/less wasted product if you use a brush (I've used both a kabuki-style brush and a traditional powder brush, both with good results). I was color matched by a MUA at the MAC store, which I really always recommend with MAC products, because they're so good at having a diverse color selection that you probably need some help figuring out which one is best for you. That's another impressive thing about MAC and something that makes me want to support their skin makeup - they are AWESOME at having a diverse array of skin tones, as opposed to the "light to medium-light" range that SO many prestige brands still [disgustingly] stick to.

This foundation has shockingly good coverage for a powder. Believe me, I doubted it. It is totally buildable, and leaves behind a flawless, even finish. The texture of the powder is light and silky-smooth - it feels like you aren't wearing anything on your face. I have read about people using this as a finishing powder, but I really think that it's a bit too heavy for my preference to do that. I moisturize, prime the heck out of my skin (I think that this is a really important step with this foundation - it needs something to bond with. I use Smashbox Photofinish), and touch up my spots with concealer. I think that because this is a powder, it's VERY important to make sure your skin under it is as healthy and primed as it can be. And then put this on top using a circular buffing motion, followed by under eye concealer. I then set it with my Mario Badescu rosewater spray (also, I feel, a necessary step to making this look more natural - I know that a lot of people who use this really like the MAC Fix+ spray too). The powder feels silky smooth as it goes on, and it very noticeably starts covering discolorations immediately. This isn't something that you need to layer a ton, but you can if you have to and not look like an alien.

I don't have problems with this becoming cakey, but again, I make it an essential point to both moisturize and prime beforehand, as well as set it with hydrating spray after - I think that helps. I don't layer this over liquid or cream foundation - I think that would be too heavy for my personal preference. One thing to note about this is that it does give an even, flawless finish to your face - I wouldn't say that it looks NATURAL, exactly, because very few people have that velvet-y, porcelain-perfect finish that only powder can give you. If you're into the dewy, "I woke up like this" look, this probably isn't the product that you're looking for. It definitely helps with oil control, too.

I have temperamental skin and have not - knock on wood - had issues with breakouts with this. However, knowing some peoples' history with it, I make it a point to take this off very well whenever I get home at night. It lasts through the work day easily for me, and is easy to touch up before I go out at night. I HIGHLY recommend giving this a try - it's truly a gamechanger in my beauty routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2014 2:05:00 AM More reviews by PlanetAmour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I think this works well as a touch up powder. I wasn't impressed with the results wet or dry as my only foundation. But it really makes a foundation last and doesn't make my skin act weird. Overall I think it is a good powder. I think the foundation in the title is misleading.