November 23, 2014 | 1117 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 6:16:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I decided to try this after reading all of the reviews on here, and I was not disappointed. My hair had been dried to the texture of straw by coloring and heat styling, and none of the balms or oils I'd tried had made any difference. After one treatment with the Aphogee Two-Step Protein, my hair had completely regained all of its softness and shine! I would give this product ten stars if I could. Thank you for the great recommendation, MakeupAlley!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2013 1:55:00 AM More reviews by GPollice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my very first review on mua or any website really so I apologize in advance if mess this up. This product may have well saved my hair after a Major major hair disaster that happened to me several months ago. To keep the long story on the short side, I lost a major portion of my hair to a dye job gone very very wrong.
I had been getting all over highlights on my naturally dark brown hair for several years, this I had noticed started to take its toll on my hair and I was starting to see some slight damage and I also kept noticing falling hairs everywhere so, I told the girl who had being doing my hair for well over a year that I wanted to take a break from the bleach for a while and just to dye my hair to my natural brown (to cover greys). It all went down hill from there...but my hair came out jet black, like goth princess black. Not what I wanted at all. So in order to fix her color choice mistake she chose to do some color colorection where she mixed shamppoo and bleach(or lifter whatever it is) we'll then my hair was pumpkin orange..it went from bad to worse. Only I didn't know how much worse it was gonna get.
We'll over the next day or so it was like my once full shoulder length head of thick hair was gone. Gone. I now had a chin length Orange shaggy bob
Anyway... So needless to say ended up @ Sally's to try to find something to get rid of my pumpkin head. When I was there and looking around I spotted the Apohgee which I read about online after my hair disaster. So I picked up the smaller trial pack. I did more reaserch on the aphogee and was kinda scared to use it cause the process kinda freaked me out a bit and was really scared to do anymore damage to my hair.
I have had the pack of aphogee since September when this happened and for some reason today I thought I would give it a try. Well, I wish I would have not waited so long to use it!
I have been using pure organic cocnut oil( on dry hair then let sit for at least 30 min w shower cap ) as well as the entire line of Joico kpak products which all work well
I know that at some point I need to get the dead ends cut which is the only thing that is really gonna help. But, so far nothing that I have used in all the many repair products and treatment has worked like the aphogee. It has literally brought the life and volume back to my hair.
My only suggestin is to buy 2 packs bc it is very messy and runny and it kinda runs thru ur fingers so u lose some down the sink.
Where a old tank top or something and take any rings off cause it dries to ur skin and clothes.
I think if I had been able to get more on my head instead of on my sink it would even had better results.
It is time consuming, I did not think the smell was as bad as some people said. It does harden up and freaked me out a bit and I also wish I would have left it on longer( I blew dry for a good 10-15 min) til it hardened up then let just sit on my head for about another 15 or so.
Got in shower and let water rinse it out did not really move or touch my hair til it was soft. Rinse it really well. Removed excess h20 from hair and then applied step 2, I left that on my hair in shower while I shaved, washed face etc... After that I towel dried my hair out of shower and did apply my joico kpak intense repair and let that sit on my head for about 10 min. I did that upon reading other reviews and some said they needed or did an extra condining/ moisturizing step.
I am curios to see how my hair holds up over the couple days. But so far I'm very happy and will def purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by ridemebigsheIdon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Adding another shining review to the batch. I've used this product in the past but frankly, I was never patient enough to let the product completely harden on my hair. This time, with my hair completely ravaged from multiple color changes about a year ago, I decided to go big or go home.

I decided to apply the product while I was still in the shower. I squeezed the excess water out of my hair and went liberal with the protein product, drenching my hair from midshaft to ends. I avoided my healthy outgrowth since I did not want to upset it's balance. I wrapped a crappy old towel around my neck to avoid the product drips and set up my blow dryer. What do I mean by 'set up'? Well, I don't own a standalone dryer, so I took an old sneaker and put it on a shelf in my living room. I had the sneaker's rear facing the edge of the shelf and put my dryer handle in the shoe so I could sit under the dryer to let the product harden. It was seriously that easy and this time, since I didn't have to hold the dryer, I was able to completely allow the treatment to work. Be very careful when you go to wash it out. Any mangling of the hair *will* break it off, counteracting the treatment's purpose - it gets that hard.

I don't use the recommended conditioner, instead I use one of the L'Oreal EverPure ones and I let it sit for longer the recommended couple minutes, too. I allowed my hair to air dry and I was shocked at its health following this treatment. My hair was no longer frizzed and course from the ear down - instead of thinning as the shaft got longer, it just looked like hair. I'll be continuing treatment every 2 months or so since this is really nursing my hair back to life. Note that too much protein is a disadvantage to your hair - and be sure to heavily moisturize to balance after your treatment. Would I buy again? Most certainly! Does it stink? Absolutely. But it truly works if you do it correctly.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by ChelseaDOLL

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product on and off for years! I have relaxed hair that recently succumbed to heat damage, so after cutting off 4 inches or so of hair I decided to put the 2 step treatment back into my hair regimen. I use it once a month to keep my hair strong and in tip top shape. I highly recommend this to women with thin, porous hair who are constantly using heat or chemicals to style or treat their hair. It really makes a difference. Just follow the directions, don't freak out when your hair gets hard from the treatment, be patient when rinsing it out, and sit under the dryer for a good 10 minutes to deep condition with the conditioner pack. Style as you usually would and you're set!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Inkdot

If you have really porous hair (wet/stringy when wet and dry/brittle when dry) you need to buy this. I bought the sample packs (I bought two, but only needed one since I have short hair), since I wasn't sure if this would work for my overly damaged bleached hair and I didn't want to buy an entire bottle just yet. I am amazed at how well this worked. I thought I would have to go to a salon to get my hair back to a normal state, but this did the trick! My hair isn't PERFECT, but this made it much more manageable. I couldn't even get a comb through my hair, and if I tried, my hair would snap and break into little strings. I wanted to cry, and frantically looked online to find something to at least help in the tiniest bit. My hair feels soft now, and I can run a comb or brush through it now without any hassle. The smell is horrible, the actual product is messy, and it takes a while for the heat to harden the protein. Your hair will feel stiff, like gel. It's a hassle to do, but it is so worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2013 8:10:00 PM More reviews by calblondie

Wow, so the reviews are really true!! I have very fine, dirty blonde hair that I've been getting highlighted for the past 15 years and lately it has really been showing it. I have also used heat daily for the past 5 years - blow dryer every other day and flat iron daily.

Recently, my hair had become so damaged that I had given up on my flat iron. I was still highlighting and blow drying, but something had to give. And let's just say that I absolutely hated my hair...it was rubbery and unmanageable when wet and frizzy and puffy when dry. The only thing that made it look presentable was a flat iron, but that is what got me in this mess in the first place!

I went online looking for something to cure my rubbery blonde hair and found Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment. I followed the instructions to the letter and also added Aussie 3-minute miracle at the end of the treatment, as recommended by another reviewer.

I can truly say that this product has been miraculous for my hair. I let my hair air dry half-way after the treatment and then used medium heat on my hair dryer with a paddle brush to finish drying it. While my hair was wet, it no longer felt rubbery. And now that it is dry, it is smooth and polished like I used a flat iron. I am really happy with this product and will likely add this to my hair routine as needed. :) I definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2013 2:19:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

BENEFITS
- Great for all hair types. Works for chemically damanged hair, but also natural 4A hair, and relaxed AA hair too. Protein doesnt discriminate.

- Strengthens hair
- Softens hair (when followed w/ appropriate moisturizing DCs)
- Adds shine because of smooth happy hair shaft
- Stops shedding
- Stops breakage
- Prevents/protects against/binds split ends
- Looks like a fresh trim and helps to retuain length
- Makes curly curls POP!
- Protects from heat damage for frequent heat stylers
- Great value. 1 small bottle lasts for about 4 applications on my very dense, textured naturally curly mid-length hair. Spreads well.

You MUST follow up with an intense MOISTURIZING deep conditioner after, preferably without silicones that will coat your hair. That can make your hair waxy blocking the potential of future humectants to enter your hair strand without using a claifying shampoo on subsequent washes.

I follow instruction steps, with some modifications:

- Use a clarifying shampoo first. I think removing any and all buildup from your hair with a clarifying shampoo first allows a clean slate for the protein to bind to the hair shaft. Then I squeeze all water out and blot dry with towel.

- Section hair into 4 sections, and loosely twist and pin before getting under a hooded dryer or hand blow drying until hard. This ensures all areas of hair are covered well. Concentrate more product on areas of damage. It can strengthen those areas but "dry out" healthy areas (e.g. roots where hair is newest, least exposed to heat and damage, and healthiest).

- Leave it on a few min after it hardens to ensure everything binds and cools and seals a bit.

- Rinse out without agitating. If there are tough spots to detangle that would require agitating, I add conditioner to help rinse. Having it in 4 sections helps during this part to.

- I use my own conditioner, its much better quality than the recommended balancing moisturizer in the kit. Also, my hair laughs at 3 minutes for a moisturizing treatment. So I leave it on much longer, and if I have time, get back under the dryer with heat. I would say 15 min. minimum with heat, 30 and a hot towel without. My favorite conditioner to use with this treatment is either Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner or Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm. For a cheapie and those on a budget I would recommend using Tresseme Moisturizing Conditioner. It will melt all that hardness right away.

Final thoughts: Everyones hair is different and you have to figure out what works for you, know what is healthy for YOUR hair and what isnt - there are basic essentials of hair health like what causes hard hair, splits, etc. that are important to know before an intense treatment. You can't just read reviews from someone else and assume it will be the same because of age or hair type - no one has the same. We have different genese, styling practices, hair routines, product tolerance, scalp environments, etc. But this is a great staple and has very high strong reviews for a reason. Good luck!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by SaraNikkita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff is awesome. It helped restore my over bleached frizzy nasty hair. The person below me sounds like she got protein overload which can happen if your hair doesn't need protein. I have done it myself using a protein packed conditioner & several other protein treatments. It dried my hair out & made it brittle & frizzy. There was a lot of breakage too. I switched conditioners & use this two step treatment every 6 weeks. My hair is soft & manageable compared to the brittle frizzy breaking hair. I recommend this stuff to anyone who is having severe breakage including that mushy when wet hair. It will help. But you need to make sure to moisturize well. Protein can be very drying. I usually use the one it comes with then my redken all soft.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Roxy2323

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this yesterday and it actually seems to have made my hair worse =( Before anyone say's "oh, she must not have done it right..." TRUST ME I did. I'm a former cosmetology student, so I know what I am doing.

I washed my hair, (it wasn't dripping wet, but damp like the package said) I put it through my hair and used a wide tooth comb to help evenly distribute it. Then, I waited. I had my bf blow dry my hair for me (that was kind of funny actually) because I was kind of too afraid to move (I didn't want my hair to break off lol) After he blow dried it and it was hard as a rock, I went in the shower (luke warm water) and I just "let it" come out on its own as I stood under the water. After that I applied the moisturizing conditioner that your supposed to, and I waited about 3-4 min, then rinsed. I knew from previous reviews that I should follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioning treatment/hair mask and that's what I did.I let that sit on for an additional 5-6 min. After rinsing that out, I let it air dry (applied the very tiniest bit of virgin coconut oil to my hair) and I have to say, I'm not impressed =(

It's disappointing really. I have more breakage after and the weirdest thing is, that my ends (which were always the super damaged part of my hair) are nice and very soft...BUT from my roots to mid hair, it feels alot rougher( not in a good or healthy way) and there is breakage that I've never noticed before, including and especially at my roots =( Little tiny breaking hairs ALL OVER the top of my head (looks like I have some major frizzy fly-always) which I've NEVER had before. I just don't understand what went wrong. I had such high hopes, and now my hair is even more damaged then it was before (which was plenty.)

P.S I can understand how people would assume it was because of a moisture deficiency instead of protein that caused all this damage...HOWEVER I was told by the lady at Sally's and my friend who is a Hairdresser (who personally had recommended this product) that it was a protein deficiency (which at the time made sense,since I have become a vegetarian.)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by ajewelofgod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my current treatments when I'm at the salon. I don't use it for every wash. But this does what I need it to do for my hair and that's to strengthen and protect it from damaging. I love it. I've been using it off and on for a few years. I also use the Aphogee Keratin treatment leave in spray. I highly recommend. It's worth the price though.