October 20, 2014 | 978 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by ChelseaDOLL

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product on and off for years! I have relaxed hair that recently succumbed to heat damage, so after cutting off 4 inches or so of hair I decided to put the 2 step treatment back into my hair regimen. I use it once a month to keep my hair strong and in tip top shape. I highly recommend this to women with thin, porous hair who are constantly using heat or chemicals to style or treat their hair. It really makes a difference. Just follow the directions, don't freak out when your hair gets hard from the treatment, be patient when rinsing it out, and sit under the dryer for a good 10 minutes to deep condition with the conditioner pack. Style as you usually would and you're set!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Inkdot

If you have really porous hair (wet/stringy when wet and dry/brittle when dry) you need to buy this. I bought the sample packs (I bought two, but only needed one since I have short hair), since I wasn't sure if this would work for my overly damaged bleached hair and I didn't want to buy an entire bottle just yet. I am amazed at how well this worked. I thought I would have to go to a salon to get my hair back to a normal state, but this did the trick! My hair isn't PERFECT, but this made it much more manageable. I couldn't even get a comb through my hair, and if I tried, my hair would snap and break into little strings. I wanted to cry, and frantically looked online to find something to at least help in the tiniest bit. My hair feels soft now, and I can run a comb or brush through it now without any hassle. The smell is horrible, the actual product is messy, and it takes a while for the heat to harden the protein. Your hair will feel stiff, like gel. It's a hassle to do, but it is so worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2013 8:10:00 PM More reviews by calblondie

Wow, so the reviews are really true!! I have very fine, dirty blonde hair that I've been getting highlighted for the past 15 years and lately it has really been showing it. I have also used heat daily for the past 5 years - blow dryer every other day and flat iron daily.

Recently, my hair had become so damaged that I had given up on my flat iron. I was still highlighting and blow drying, but something had to give. And let's just say that I absolutely hated my hair...it was rubbery and unmanageable when wet and frizzy and puffy when dry. The only thing that made it look presentable was a flat iron, but that is what got me in this mess in the first place!

I went online looking for something to cure my rubbery blonde hair and found Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment. I followed the instructions to the letter and also added Aussie 3-minute miracle at the end of the treatment, as recommended by another reviewer.

I can truly say that this product has been miraculous for my hair. I let my hair air dry half-way after the treatment and then used medium heat on my hair dryer with a paddle brush to finish drying it. While my hair was wet, it no longer felt rubbery. And now that it is dry, it is smooth and polished like I used a flat iron. I am really happy with this product and will likely add this to my hair routine as needed. :) I definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2013 2:19:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

BENEFITS
- Great for all hair types. Works for chemically damanged hair, but also natural 4A hair, and relaxed AA hair too. Protein doesnt discriminate.

- Strengthens hair
- Softens hair (when followed w/ appropriate moisturizing DCs)
- Adds shine because of smooth happy hair shaft
- Stops shedding
- Stops breakage
- Prevents/protects against/binds split ends
- Looks like a fresh trim and helps to retuain length
- Makes curly curls POP!
- Protects from heat damage for frequent heat stylers
- Great value. 1 small bottle lasts for about 4 applications on my very dense, textured naturally curly mid-length hair. Spreads well.

You MUST follow up with an intense MOISTURIZING deep conditioner after, preferably without silicones that will coat your hair. That can make your hair waxy blocking the potential of future humectants to enter your hair strand without using a claifying shampoo on subsequent washes.

I follow instruction steps, with some modifications:

- Use a clarifying shampoo first. I think removing any and all buildup from your hair with a clarifying shampoo first allows a clean slate for the protein to bind to the hair shaft. Then I squeeze all water out and blot dry with towel.

- Section hair into 4 sections, and loosely twist and pin before getting under a hooded dryer or hand blow drying until hard. This ensures all areas of hair are covered well. Concentrate more product on areas of damage. It can strengthen those areas but "dry out" healthy areas (e.g. roots where hair is newest, least exposed to heat and damage, and healthiest).

- Leave it on a few min after it hardens to ensure everything binds and cools and seals a bit.

- Rinse out without agitating. If there are tough spots to detangle that would require agitating, I add conditioner to help rinse. Having it in 4 sections helps during this part to.

- I use my own conditioner, its much better quality than the recommended balancing moisturizer in the kit. Also, my hair laughs at 3 minutes for a moisturizing treatment. So I leave it on much longer, and if I have time, get back under the dryer with heat. I would say 15 min. minimum with heat, 30 and a hot towel without. My favorite conditioner to use with this treatment is either Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner or Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm. For a cheapie and those on a budget I would recommend using Tresseme Moisturizing Conditioner. It will melt all that hardness right away.

Final thoughts: Everyones hair is different and you have to figure out what works for you, know what is healthy for YOUR hair and what isnt - there are basic essentials of hair health like what causes hard hair, splits, etc. that are important to know before an intense treatment. You can't just read reviews from someone else and assume it will be the same because of age or hair type - no one has the same. We have different genese, styling practices, hair routines, product tolerance, scalp environments, etc. But this is a great staple and has very high strong reviews for a reason. Good luck!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by SaraNikkita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff is awesome. It helped restore my over bleached frizzy nasty hair. The person below me sounds like she got protein overload which can happen if your hair doesn't need protein. I have done it myself using a protein packed conditioner & several other protein treatments. It dried my hair out & made it brittle & frizzy. There was a lot of breakage too. I switched conditioners & use this two step treatment every 6 weeks. My hair is soft & manageable compared to the brittle frizzy breaking hair. I recommend this stuff to anyone who is having severe breakage including that mushy when wet hair. It will help. But you need to make sure to moisturize well. Protein can be very drying. I usually use the one it comes with then my redken all soft.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Roxy2323

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this yesterday and it actually seems to have made my hair worse =( Before anyone say's "oh, she must not have done it right..." TRUST ME I did. I'm a former cosmetology student, so I know what I am doing.

I washed my hair, (it wasn't dripping wet, but damp like the package said) I put it through my hair and used a wide tooth comb to help evenly distribute it. Then, I waited. I had my bf blow dry my hair for me (that was kind of funny actually) because I was kind of too afraid to move (I didn't want my hair to break off lol) After he blow dried it and it was hard as a rock, I went in the shower (luke warm water) and I just "let it" come out on its own as I stood under the water. After that I applied the moisturizing conditioner that your supposed to, and I waited about 3-4 min, then rinsed. I knew from previous reviews that I should follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioning treatment/hair mask and that's what I did.I let that sit on for an additional 5-6 min. After rinsing that out, I let it air dry (applied the very tiniest bit of virgin coconut oil to my hair) and I have to say, I'm not impressed =(

It's disappointing really. I have more breakage after and the weirdest thing is, that my ends (which were always the super damaged part of my hair) are nice and very soft...BUT from my roots to mid hair, it feels alot rougher( not in a good or healthy way) and there is breakage that I've never noticed before, including and especially at my roots =( Little tiny breaking hairs ALL OVER the top of my head (looks like I have some major frizzy fly-always) which I've NEVER had before. I just don't understand what went wrong. I had such high hopes, and now my hair is even more damaged then it was before (which was plenty.)

P.S I can understand how people would assume it was because of a moisture deficiency instead of protein that caused all this damage...HOWEVER I was told by the lady at Sally's and my friend who is a Hairdresser (who personally had recommended this product) that it was a protein deficiency (which at the time made sense,since I have become a vegetarian.)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by ajewelofgod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my current treatments when I'm at the salon. I don't use it for every wash. But this does what I need it to do for my hair and that's to strengthen and protect it from damaging. I love it. I've been using it off and on for a few years. I also use the Aphogee Keratin treatment leave in spray. I highly recommend. It's worth the price though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by TheMickster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just finished using this product. I had previously used it on clients in the salon, but never gave it a try personally. I'm so glad I tried it! My hair is platinum blonde, fine and prone to breakage. I have been doing the blonde for quite some time and I felt my hair needed a little love. I had a bit of breakage going on in the back and I really didn't want to cut it. So I picked this up from my local beauty supply. Works wonders! My hair is soft, smooth, manageable and healthy again. As a stylist, I know how important it is to use products AS DIRECTED. I read quite a bit of reviews on here before I posted my own and noticed a lot of people did not use this as directed. And it didn't work-what do you expect? If you aren't going to use it as directed, don't use it at all. It is after all, for PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY. But if you dutifully follow the instructions, you should be okay. This product can be a little messy, but not if you have someone to help you, or if you don't, just use this technique: in small amounts, drip the product onto the very top of your head, using a wide tooth comb, pull it through . It's as simple as that. Do not comb or agitate the hair once this product is in, you will be sorry if you do. You could literally lose all your hair. Use a hand dryer with ample heat and apply the heat to the hair. Slow motions! Again, try not to move or agitate the hair too much. Blow dry until your hair feels hard to the touch. DO NOT USE A CAP, DO NOT LEAVE IN FOR A LONG TIME/OVERNIGHT/etc. the product is not meant for this. It opens your hair cuticle to allow the keratin and protein to enter the hair shaft. Once your hair is hard, rinse well-do not agitate hair while rinsing. Once the treatment is rinsed, blot hair with a towel and follow up with the balancing moisturizer. This is a very important step and it cannot be skipped. Do not mix this conditioner with anything. Use it by itself. Apply to the hair, wide tooth comb again, leave in for 2-5 minutes TOPS. Rinse with cool water to close the hair cuticle. Comb once more and leave to air dry. *only use once every six weeks *be sure to use a clarifying shampoo before beginning this process. And btw, the smell is not that bad at all. It reminds me of rhubarb. The conditioner smells pretty heavy though. Not my favourite smell :)

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by daenerys23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just finish applying Aphogee two step protein treatment on my overbleached, fried, mushy, candyfloss hair and it did nothing :((( I kept it on my hair for approx 25-30 mins (I used a hair dryer and I washed it out after it became solid hard).Can't understand what went wrong, it seems to work for other people...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 2:55:00 PM More reviews by foxyf0xy

Wow, I am absolutely shocked. Almost jumping for joy and shedding tears of happiness! I have a long history of majorly screwing up my hair, namely going back and forth from dark to light. My hair is shoulder length and layered, and for the past year I've been good and kept it dark, only doing root touch-ups confined strictly to the root area, instead of slathering on the excess dye on the rest of my hair like I normally would have. I got bored of it and felt I needed change, so with my prior good year I decided to go blonde. After lifting several levels to a light champagne blonde, my hair was a little on the mushy-stretchy rubber bandy side. I wasn't too worried because it's been worse, but I was tired of waiting an hour for my hair to dry. I went to Sally's, picked up this as well as a few other products, and held off on this mainly due to the dread of having wet hair AGAIN. I ended up leaving the protein treatment on for over an hour because I was tired of holding up my hair dryer, so I let most of it air dry. Yes, it stinks, yes, it's sticky, and runny- but I didn't find it hard to apply. I just opened a tiny corner or the packet and applied it at the top of my head, sort of guiding it down the rest of my hair. And a little side note..don't put a towel over your shoulders, your hair will start to crunchify to your towel. Anyway, I left it on for an hour, wasn't expecting much, got in the shower and let it rinse out without touching it, fearful of the snapping off everyone seems to mention. After the protein junk rinsed out, I was shocked, I almost started crying, but in a happy way. Instead of stretchy and squishy and fried, my hair was smooth and not NEARLY as stretchy and not squishy at all. It felt like real hair again. Someone else mentioned that they could feel the individual hair strands again when it was wet and that's the perfect way to describe it. My hair also didn't feel dry after washing the protein treatment out, not sure why. Not complaining. I shampooed with a tiny bit of head and shoulders since I have some stains from purple shampoo in my roots, I put in the moisture packet for three minutes, rinsed, put in Aussie deeeep treatment for a while and rinsed with cold water to seal the cuticles. I can run my fingers through my hair wet, I can pull on it and get almost no stretchy nastiness. I am so excited. I had been under the impression that my hair would be okay without the treatment but boy am I glad I tried this. This is a lifesaver, this will forever be my go-to product for damaged hair.