April 17, 2014 | 1924 users online

Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by rilokiley1289

This product works great if you follow the directions exactly. I'm an idiot and I didn't rinse my hair out as long as I should have, because even though my hair was super light after the Color Oops had processed, the color seemed to come back some after I finished showering.

It didn't smell as awful as I had expected while applying, but once it rinsed out it smelled way worse. Also, it made my sink drain smell like rotten egg farts for like four days. I didn't even rinse my hair in the sink either, I must have leaked some drops down the drain or something while applying.

While I think it's extremely important to deep condition after using this, I can't really speak to how this effected the condition of my hair, since my hair felt dried out beforehand because of all the failed Dawn dish soap/Head and Shoulders/Vitamin C/baking soda washes I did. For reference though, in the future, I would definitely skip the extreme shampooing and just go straight for a color remover. Before going straight back to the Color Oops though, I'd probably hit up Sally's Beauty supply and see what kind of color removers they have. Possibly one that doesn't require a 20 minute rinse (I live in a one bedroom apartment with a crappy little water heater so me hot water runs out pretty quickly).

I think it's worth noting that this only removes permanent dyes, nothing that sits on top of the follicle (semis and demis like manic panic). Also, if you're considering using this, you should definitely read the FAQ page on their website, it's pretty informative.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by siobhan9705

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Worked great. Used it on my level 6 brown hair (that also had highlights in)
Hair looks like a dark strawberry blonde now. In a week I will dye it with Level 8 Ash Blonde to tone it down a bit, but it looks nice enough to leave a while.
Did a protein treatment after (Redken Extreme) and then a moisturizing conditioner in my hair overnight and my hair feels as good as new today, no damage.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/3/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by shmich75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

History:
Naturally dark blonnde hair that had been bleached to a nice platinum blonde by my stylist.
After a few months of being superr blonde I got bored (big mistake) and decided to go back to my natural hair color. I bought a protein filler and dyed it with Feria deep burgandy...HUGE MISTAKE!!! I looked horrible. I had smething that came up so I didnt have time for color oops. After 3 days I finally had the time and did a strand test...came out great...my platinum was back so I preceded to do my whole head. Throughout it looked like it was working great.
After preocessing and following the long rince and shampoo directions I got out of the showered and I now have a horrid orange color head of hair.
No visible damage and feels fine but the worst color.
I will be going to my colorist to have her fix it. I will never use Feria color or color oops again!!!
I had watched mant video on youtube and read reviews who had great results but my story doesn't end so happy.
Now I have to pay to have it fixed.
So all in all even the strand test did not show the result in the end.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by DanseMacabre11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

So, I have been dying my hair for about four years now. I mostly dye it red, but there has been black-brown and other colors thrown in the mix.
The other day I purchased Clairol Foam hair color. I had used the dark auburn color before in the regular version and loved it. However the foam color turned my hair BLACK. I was horrified. I immediately went and bought Color Oops.

My main advice is to follow the directions carefully. You need to work quickly because it doesn't maintain it's deoxidizing power for longer than 20 minutes. Also, be aware that it is very liquidy, like the consistency of water. And yes, it SMELLS. My hair and entire upstairs smelled of sulfur.
However, after shampooing and rinsing my hair with HOT water multiple times for about 15 minutes, I was happy to find the black was gone. Not only that, but 4 years of hair dye was gone too, which I did not expect!! I am back to my beautiful auburn hair that I have been wishing I never dyed in the first place.

After using this, be aware that your hair will be very brittle. It will feel stiff, as those you just got out of a clorinated pool. I highly advise soaking your hair with coconut oil overnight and washing it out in the morning. I did this and my hair feels as good as new.
Also, if you plan on dying your hair immediately after usage make sure to only leave the dye on for 5 minutes, as per the Color Oops instructions. Your newly stripped hair will be very porous and soak up hair more quickly than normal.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by EBRAY1

Fantastic stuff. Used a light (hebashine) golden brown semi-perm color on my highlighted, hair and it turned copper. I tried prell and the olive oil method. Nothing worked. I googled "hair dye remover" and Opps came up. Went to cvs and bought it immediately. Followed directions mostly on-point. Did the rinse for only 10min. Hair came out yellowish golden blonde. Way better than a rusted penny! Great product. Efficient.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by actress981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like it seems like so many others on here- I'm a natural strawberry blond who has spent the last 10 years dyeing my hair. I was platinum blond for a few years, then added some red back in, then went super red, then back to what I THOUGHT was my natural strawberry blond. When the red faded to blond, my hair looked flat and dull, and I just thought that was how my natural color looked now that I'm older. So, I continued to color it to brighter orange/coppers to add some dimension and eventually went dark brown. Loved the dark brown for awhile as it made my blue eyes pop, but as time went on, I yearned to be back to my natural strawberry blonde again. My stylist told me she could take me there gradually. Not good enough for me!! Plus, I just knew any salon solution would involve bleach, which is a major no-no for me.

Based on all these reviews, I bought two boxes of Color Oops ($15/apiece) My hair is fine, straight, and a little past the collarbone. As I HAD used Clairol Nice N Easy Root Touch-Up a cpl of months ago (had been colored by salon since then), I was freaking out a bit... I'd read up on dyes with "metallic salts" and that was one that was named as a possible culprit. Did a strand test, and though I ended up just notting the strands up and not being able to tell the color they turned, they didn't seem to smoke or have a reaction, so I decided to take my chances. I put on the first application and left it for 20 minutes. After, I proceeded to vigorously scrub under the kitchen sink for the allotted 20 mins, using a cheap sulfate shampoo at least 5x, and focusing on my darker, more porous ends. I then put on a deep conditioning mask for another 20 minutes. Washed it out, dried my hair, and observed I was a couple of shades lighter... a light, reddish brown (think Kate Mara). Went to bed, woke up, and was elated to see color had not darkened at all! However, there were a few splotchy spots (same hairs that were darker even when I had dark hair), and though I could live with it... I decided to go for another round. Followed the procedure the same exact way, although I only rinsed for 17 mins (felt like I was going to pass out from the heat in my bathroom). After drying my hair, I realized that my hair is ALMOST the same color as my natural... and with a vibrancy I hadn't seen since before I colored it the first time! Never thought it could look like this again!! It could probably stand a little toning, but I'm not touching it. I'm just going to let it grow out from here... not gonna risk losing this color again!

Yay, Color Oops!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Megatonisforlovers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

So it smells & is a tad drying, a little over 13 dollars at my local CVS but it works wonders wish I knew about this years ago. First of all I would like to start with my stats. I have over processed hair. I been coloring my hair for years & years now. My hair is naturally dry & frizzy & all the years of coloring I am lucky to have hair left. I had blonde hair than professional turned it red started coloring it red on my own then professionally got it blonde & started bleaching it by myself turning my hair white over time but after so much bleaching my once long locks literally dried off. So I stupidly decided to go red again. & it again turned an unnatural red. My hair was red from Manic Panic & had colored my roots with Loreal Hilight Magenta with 10 developer. I kept it for awhile but I grew tried of it & asked a professional to help me go to a dark ginger color. My hair being so vibrate we thought it to be impossible. I read long & hard into Color Oops, researching & looking up all the reviews I could. I didn't want my hair white again just faded. I tired using Clarifying Shampoo it only lightened my ends to an ugly grayish pink color. So I decided what the heck why not use some Color Oops? I studied the directions & knowing about the smell I opened my windows & had a candle going. I prepped my hair the day before deep conditioning it. I smothered my hair in the product, capped my hair off & sat on the floor as my darling boyfriend held the blow dryer to my capped off hair on low heat & power for 20 minutes. Automatically my ends were a goldish orangish color but my roots were still red, I kept my cool knowing the shampooing part was the most important. I flipped my head & hair into the sink & both myself & my boyfriend vigorously scrubbed my hair for 20 full minutes then again for a finally five my whole head was the goldish orange color all but for but the very roots behind my ears & back of my neck which were a light pink. We missed scrubbing there, our faults. My hair didn't feel at all good at all but common sense tells you it wouldn't. I conditioned then I once again deep conditioned & my hair was pretty normal again, no damage or hair loss. My Hair Stylist was amazed at how well it turned out & that my hair felt fine I am now worry free, able to go ginger. I love this stuff I would recommend it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Princesa7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My reviews of my 4x using this!!

Background-So I've been coloring my hair since middle school (23yrs) lol I've been black,various shades of red,blonde and brown over the years...biggest mistake was going black back in highschool,had to get my hair stripped and do protein treatments etc cuz my hair was severly damaged....so since the mid 90's now I've been sticking with med brown wich is closest to my natural color..loving and have no issues...........well now fast forward to this year...I'm now 38 and since January I have noticed the greys are coming in stronger!!! Yikes wich now means I practically have to re dye almost every 2 weeks....thats just a no for me lol and I figured I'd try something lighter to help with the grey and not have to dye as much.

So after reading all the reviews on this product..I picked up 2 boxes just incase (my hair is bra strap length) and the next morning scared as hell lol and with the help of my husband took the plunge!!

I will say 1 box was enough for my hair and as ar as the scent goes IMO it wasn't that bad but still not good lol but tolerable,and yes its runny but again not bad. This stuff worked!!!!!!! very impressive that all the dark brown was gone!! The 20mins rinsing with hot water sucked but hey ya gotta do it! After all that (plus the 20min conditioning)and my hair was dry my roots had the grey going but the rest was a light caramel brown with brassyness (I will say that I didn't really notice any damage from Color Oops other than my hair just felt drier than normal).....after that I used L'Oreal excellence in a dark blonde left in in 5mins cuz the Color Oops directions said do not use let the dye process more than 5mins wich worked out ok my hair is lighter now but there are some brown spots and my hair is a little lighter at the roots(wich I expected).....with that all said so far I'm still in colorshock lol I do like the color but IDK I think I thought it was gonna come out way lighter wich I wanted.....but again I'm in color shock so I do have a 2nd box of color Oops for back up. I will give this brown with dark blonde color for a while and decide at some point if I will stay or go a tad lighter......I mean its pretty and I will have to touch up my roots in a few days cuz 5mins was not enough for the greys.

I will be back to update!

*Update 5/10/13*

So today 5days after using my 1box of Color Oops 2nite I used the 2nd one..

I wasn't feeling the L'Oreal Excellence Dark Blonde color.it looked so flat and sucky...so I used Ion Light Blonde tonight and of course the color didn't come out light blonde (and I knew it would due to the reviews) and that was perfect for me!!

I wil say using the Color Oops 2nd time around really stripped the color out better than the 1st time (wich was till impressive too).
I did the strand test in 2 different spots and after the 5min mark no change at all so I risked it and went ahead with the Ion directions to leave it on 45mins and I'm sooooooooo freakn happy I did! Don't get me wrong I was damn near having a anxiety attack the whole time no knowing what to expect...but my hair is a beautiful soft caramely light brown with a slight blonde color to it.

*Update on 5/20/13
Sooo I just wasn't feeling the color I put in last week,it was pretty but it seemed to have more red/brass in it even after using stuff to get rid of the brass lol

So last Friday night I picked up another box of Color Oops (and a new color) and Saturday morning went to it. Of couse this now being the 3rd time using this I was really worried that I'd have crazy damage on my hair but I was wrong I just had the same dryness as expected and nothing more. I will say that using it a 3rd time to remove last weeks color really stripped my hair almost totally!!!!! I was impressed and freakn happy that it stripped my hair to a light brassy brown/blonde pale color (yay) cuz this meant for me that I didn't have to go the bleaching route wich I was trying to avoid. So after doing all the steps & rinsing and re dyeing I am happy to say I love my new blonde color!! I will not to re use Color Oops again lol (well for a long time I won't lol)

*Update on 8/20/13

I used Color Oops last night to get rid of my blonde hair (I just wasnt loving it as much as I thought I would and liking it a lot wasn't enough for me to keep it) so going into this again I knew that it might not work with removing the blonde but I went for it anyway! The parts of my hair that were really super light blonde didn't get removed but some of the darker bonde did and turned a brassy yellow. So after doing the Color Oops and the hot water rinsing,then deep conditioning and re dyeing I am happy to say I am back to my natural brown color!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be staying brown from this point on but am happy to say Color Oops once again was a lifesaver and it worked out! =)

I would highly reccommend Color Oops and I would totally use it again if I had to its a hair disaster lifesaver!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2013 2:20:00 AM More reviews by AvaTara539

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have black dyed hair on most of my head, the top couple inches my natural color has come in which is brown now... hair stylists have been adamant that black dye cannot be removed. But some reviewers on website said theirs was so I took a shot. Anyway the downsides are: I thought it would have usual hair dye consistency but it doesn't- it is as thin as water! But the application tip had just as big of a hole as usual hair dye- it was squirting everywhere. I think more got on my skin and the floor and bathroom counter top than my hair! One bottle was definitely NOT enough for at shoulder length hair (for $14 I paid at walgreens it should be!). And that's all I had. Also I had to rinse my hair for twenty minutes afterwards, and then add another five because that wasn't enough (to be fair this is because I have very thick hair). That was pretty inconvenient. It didn't smell great but neither does dye. However- it did actually remove almost all my black dye and return hair to brown color. There was no dye dripping off my head in shower it rinsed clear too. There are little streaks of black in it still but I'm fairly sure that's where I missed with the application of it. In general I would give this a huge thumbs up, because awkward as it is to apply and rinse forever it's insane that it actually removed my black dye- esp the dark midnight blue black color I've always used. I would definitely recommend this hair dye remover for any color- but buy two bottles and prop up a full sized mirror in the shower and apply it in there if you can lol! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by jxre

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is AMAZING! I am naturally a dark ash blonde/very light brown and I colored by hair bright red just for fun. Well turns out my job didn't approve! Bummer! So I did a lot of research and came across color oops. I was very skeptical but I purchased one box of color oops and two boxes of Revlon dark ash blonde. Color oops is very very watery and you may need two boxes if you have long thick hair. I followed the directions exactly which is critical. I was at an orange color which was okay with me it was expected. I left conditioner in my hair in a braid overnight and colored the next day. To my surprise my hair is the exact color it was before the red!!! I have been coloring for years and this is by far the best product I've used!! My hair isn't damaged beyond belief either. So surprised and satisfied!! I would definitely recommend this product!!! Girls there is hope!!