October 23, 2014 | 1193 users online

Primer/ Corrector - LORAC - Oil-Free Neutralizer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2010 6:46:00 PM More reviews by ktdetails

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

If you have a ruddy complexion...
If you have issues with flushing...
If your foundations never seem to cover all your redness...
If you have red marks from post acne scarring...
If you just had any facial waxing and your face looks like it will never calm down.
This product is for you.
Especially for fair people.
It can be layered, and layered and layered and never looks heavy or cakey - it just keeps toning down redness.

I put 2 pumps into my daytime moisturizer and mix them together and then apply them to my face at the same time - to cut down on a step when I get ready! It really cuts down the redness - then if I need to target any specific area - I can just go in with more neutralizer - when I know an area would still show through under my foundation

It evens out your skin - like no "green primer" ever will.
It is meant as a corrector - so if you use it alone - i.e. don't put a sheer foundation or powder over it you will look ever-so-slightly green-yellow-ish --- but it makes your foundation look AMAZING - and you'll need so much less foundation - because this product has done all the work.
The packaging leaves something to be desired - but the product will have you coming back for more.
I will never be without this.
HG status for sure.

LORAC - come out with a different pump!
And ditch the glass bottle!
Otherwise - never stop making this!!!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 5:15:00 PM More reviews by earthflower

I applied a little of this over my makeup at the Sephora store today. It went on really creamy and blended well, but it was difficult to see in the store lighting so the salesgirl made me a sample to take home. I was really, really pleased with how it made my face blend in with the rest of my skin. I have redness that coves my nose and most of my cheeks and this works better than anything I've ever tried, plus it doesn't look like I'm wearing a ton of makeup. Smashbox green primer did nothing but make me look weird and gray, and the pink still showed through. With this neutralizer on my face matches my neck! This is something I've never been able to accomplish, even with lots of makeup and concealer. I think the part I'm most excited about is that now I can actually wear colored- not neutral- lipstick or eyeshadow! I've only been able to get away with neutrals or else I've looked like a clown or a red-faced drunk in photos. Not a nice look. So happy I found this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2009 7:46:00 PM More reviews by amaiaisabella

I just realized I've had this product over a year and haven't reviewed it! I'm super pale so I use this as a foundation and concealer. It's great for concealing dark under-eye circles, and I also use it on top of my lids to wake my eyes up. I use very little at a time, and my only complaint about the product is if you're not super gentle with the pump, it can squirt out way more than you need.

Lately, I've been using 1 pump, then spread between my fingers and lightly tap it onto my cheeks (my worst problem area, I have mild rosacea), and then the rest of my face. The product spreads really well this way, and I use a lot less. I've got 3/4 of the bottle left and I've been using it off and on for a year.

Unless I suddenly start being able to tolerate the sun and therefore get a tan, this is my foundation/concealer/primer/jack of all trades for the foreseeable future. A+!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2009 10:08:00 AM More reviews by KGasp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I went through two bottles of this product, using it like foundation - two pumps applied quickly after moisturizer. Each bottle lasted between 3-4 months.

I can definitely see how other reviewers would not have been satisfied with this under regular foundation because the neutralizer is pretty thick and covers quite a bit. I'd say the trick is definitely to either mix with moisturizer for lighter results, or apply immediately after moisturizer for easier blending. You can wear a light, loose powder over top without issue (when I know pictures were being taken I'd top it with Clinique blended face powder to avoid shine) but I'd say avoid anything that requires a rigorous application.

It made my skin look like a dream - like I wasn't wearing makeup (the sought-after place between matte and dewy) and like I was just naturally well-rested and healthy. I got the most compliments on my skin when using this product, even from a male judge during a settlement hearing (awkward!).

Complaints: Unfortunately, it only comes in one color, so if you're not pale you're out of luck. And the pump is great, until you come to the end and have quite a bit of product the pump can't reach at the bottom. Thirty dollars isn't exactly in my price range at the moment, but I haven't found anything in the drugstore that comes close to making my skin look like a million bucks.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2009 3:00:00 AM More reviews by micropipette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've had this for awhile and every time I use it I'm underwhelmed. I bought this at Sephora on the recommendation of a SA there when I asked about something to cover the redness on my cheeks/nose. I was told to mix it with moisturizer because it was too thick and would look cakey otherwise. The one benefit to having to do this is that by mixing it with moisturizer, you end up saving product, which means you get to use it for longer.

There are a few other benefits of this neutralizer. The first is the pump bottle--I've had no problems with it clogging and its hygenic. The other nice thing is that since you are mixing it you can create the consistency that works best for you...However I'm not a huge fan of adding yet another step to my regimine. Also, if I don't mix it properly it either looks cakey, doesn't conceal the redness on my cheeks and/or I get way too much and waste it.

The worst part though is that the neutralizing effect is only temporary. After putting on my foundation, my skin looks fine...but a few hours later I can see the blotchy redness I spent a significant amount of money to cover. I will probably try using it as a concealer under foundation mixed with significantly less moisturizer and see if that works...but in the past when I didn't use much (or any moisturizer) my red spots (which are actually bumpy) looked rough and like I was obviously wearing makeup. It is more effective on my nose where the redness isn't caused by irritation/bumps. Basically, if you're trying to even skin tone and smooth skin this might work well, but if you're attempting to cover anything like acne, dry skin, KP, etc this might make things look worse or only work temporarily.

I would not repurchase this as I can get the same results with a primer but with fewer steps/waste. Also I have a lot left to experiement with when I get bored or want to try to get it to work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2009 9:12:00 PM More reviews by prettycool

I like this. I use it more like a concealer. I apply it with a really small brush around my nose, on a zit. I usually mix it with a moisturizer (half-half) first except if I'm covering a zit then I use it by itself. I'm very pale so if it's a weekend I don't use anything else, just powder. I like the fact that it doesn't feel like it's clogging my very oily skin. Seems to stay on well too. I have tried it all over my face and it does seem to over correct a bit (pale-mask-like). I do agree that the bottle does give way to much product in a pump.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2009 8:10:00 PM More reviews by lillylou2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was hands down the worst product I have ever used.

I normally have a very nice non-cakey face, but add this under foundation & look out.

To know what I mean is to try it. My makeup was very clumpy looking after about an hour an I have never had this happen. it was bad just real bad and totally not worth $30 bucks...steer clear yikes!

P.S. It feels exactly like calamine lotion (the pink stuff you use for poison ivy)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2009 4:56:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

What it Claims:
"Neutralizer is a specially tinted, oil-free makeup that's infused with soothing botanicals. It corrects and conceals underlying red tones to create a naturally flawless finish - ideal for sensitive skin."

Claims - True or False?
1) Corrects and conceals redness: True.
2) Creates a naturally flawless finish: False.

Packaging:
Average at best. It comes in a clear glass pump bottle with the basic information. The pump dispenses far too much product, so if you are dead set on using this product, think about switching it to another bottle with a different type of pump. Although you can easily see when you will need to repurchase, chances are you will be left with quite a bit of product as there is no way that the pump will dispense all of the product. It would be much more effective if it were in a squeeze tube, or if it dispensed product like the Smashbox PhotoFinish Light primer. Probably breakable as well.

Smell:
I do not recollect there being any significant scent.

Consistency:
A very runny liquid that refuses to blend and ends up look quite chalky. Perhaps it would work better if it were similar to a primer in terms of formula, or if it were thicker. Might work best when combined with moisturizer or primer.

Ease of Use:
Very hard to use. It does not want to blend - over moisturizer, bare skin, mixed in with moisturizer, applied over freshly moisturized skin, nothing works. Applying with different tools doesn't help either.

Bang for your Buck:
A decent deal. Not too expensive, and not much is needed to cover your face. However, because it is just average, kind of not worth the pricetag.

Final Consensus:
Unless I can find a miraculous way to make this work without it smudging off my face, with it blending properly and with it covering redness without looking fake, this will continue collecting dust. I doubt Sephora will let me return it, it's been at least a year and a half. Perhaps store credit?

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2009 7:07:00 AM More reviews by BalloonArtist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I moisturize my skin well and then put this on all over, concentrating on the areas (chin, nose) where I have uneven skin tone (mostly dark spots from prior pimples). I also put it on eyelids. Then I put on my foundation and the rest of my makeup.

I really like this stuff. It is more effective for me than a concealer. It helps my foundation stay put as well as my eyeshadow.

Don't like the packaging, though. Squirts too much and has sometimes been too messyl.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2009 4:05:00 PM More reviews by karmakat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like this product a lot. It was hard to find something that wasn't heavy and greasy but evened out my skin well. I am very fair and most stuff has a lot of yellow undertones so it doesn't blend well but not this stuff. It is great. I mix it with my moisturizer sometimes when I just need a little overall evening out.