November 22, 2014 | 1669 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Galletly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the single best beauty product I have ever purchased. I can't beleive I battled with skin that was constantly shiny/oily for so long when I could have been using this.

Not only does it prevent shine, it smooths out my skin so that make-up sits really well on top of it and doesn't slide off even after a full day at the office. I was worried it would break me out because I have pimple-prone skin, but in the six months of using it my skin has been really good.

I should mention that this is the first primer I've ever used so maybe all the others work in the same way, but it's awesome that this one is SPF50. I used to hate putting greasy sunscreen on my face in summer and this is the perfect solution.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by BriddaBella

I bought this product for the summer because I wanted some extra protection
for my skin. My mum started getting age spots due, which I guess are partially due to
overexposure to the sun and I don't want the same happening to my skin.
This product is great because it's a primer and a sunscreen in one and it doesn't feel greasy like
most sunscreens I have tried and it absorbs easily into my skin.

This product has SPF50/PA++ which means that it protects against UVA and UVB rays,
which is great because a lot of cosmetic products only have a SPF, meaning only UVB
rays are blocked.
It is formulated to help prevent skin discolouration and premature aging from damaging UV rays. Zinc Oxide and Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate are added to absorb UV rays. The formula contains Vitamin E (an antioxidant) to help protect the skin from environmental damage and humectants that help the skin retain its moisture. It contains oil-absorbing ingredients, like Silica Dimethyl Silylate. The formula helps to create a soft focus effect on the skin.

Ideally you want something that blocks both types of UV rays because even though UVB
is responsible to causing the tanning, UVA rays penetrate the skin more deeply and actually
causing long-term damage that only show in 15-20 years.

I would definitely repurchase this product and use it not only for the summer but
throughout the year.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2013 6:16:00 AM More reviews by cocoacloud

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Because my skin is extremely prone to clogged pores, oiliness and acne; I am very particular about what products I use. Recently, I’ve gotten my acne under control with LRP’s Effaclar line, and I’ve found that this primer from MAC has helped a lot. It does not break me out at all and offers a very good base for makeup. It glides on and absorbs, is moisturizing, and subtly smooths out skin. My foundation stays in place throughout the day – but I’m not sure how much this is attributed to my foundation’s own staying power as I use ELC’s Double Wear. I am delighted that this offers sun protection, as I’m prone to pigmentation. Take caution though, it’s not super amazing as sunscreen, even though its SPF 50 – I recently spent 1-2 days under intense sun and I found that I still darkened a bit, but it was minimal and therefore excusable. It is quite pricey, but it comes in a very gorgeous tube (I love how it glimmers) and lasts for quite a while – I purchased this 3 months ago and have used it every single day and haven’t run out yet. I would definitely buy this again, I can see it becoming one of my staples. I would rate it 4.5 stars if I could – I’m still on the search for my 5 star HG product!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 7:23:00 PM More reviews by Rocklover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have combination skin and read on MUA that this is great for controlling oil - even though it's not advertised for that purpose. So I gave it a go and YES - it's the best oil control primer I have found to date.

A little goes a long way, I only apply a teensy amount to my nose (where I have oily issues) and it keeps me pretty well matte all day. I may have to blot once or top up powder, but not bad considering that normally I would be an oil slick within the first hour.

Will I repurchase? No. The reason is because apparently the formula has changed. I purchased my bottle in early 2012 and it's still going thank goodness....but I am starting to look for an alternative now:

Recently I have tried Mac prep and prime skin, She red rice primer, lanacane and desitin (yes weird, I know). With each one, I apply the new product to one side of my nose and my Mac 50+ to the other under makeup to judge which controls oil better. Mac 50+ has won every time. I'm worried I won't find anything to fill its shoes!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2013 5:48:00 AM More reviews by melissaventer

i love this! was a bit sceptical after reading some of the reviews about it making people break out or over drying, but i haven't found any of that - it's amazing! i think the key is not to over apply - I've never noticed the white residue leftover that people have mentioned, and I wait a minute or two before you apply your foundation to let it really soak in - then it's not so sticky when you apply foundation. My make up literally stays on all day, and there is no oil what so ever. If you're not sure, ask your Mac store for a tester pot and give it a try for a few days before you invest in the bottle.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by stelamz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The texture on the skin is sticky. This is horrible for oily skin, I wouldn't recommend even for dry skin.
It's a bad as sunscreen and even worse as a primer.
For those who hates the sticky finish Skip It!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 8:51:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have the one w/o the SPF. This is a great primer. I use it in place of my moisturizer (good or bad?) and maybe it's just my skin being weird, but when I apply it, my face turns red for a minute or two after. It also leaves little sparkles on my fingers. I have noticed that my foundation & powder look nicer when I use this. I just like it because it makes a smooth surface for my makeup. A must have in my kit.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by TanniMH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This my favourite primer so far. It keeps my make up for a lot longer than other primers I have tried plus it just makes my make up look better. The fact that it is spf 50 is the main reason i brought it in the first place. It isn't too greasy for me but the consistency is a bit thick. I doesn't fill in the pores until they are completely invisible but it does do a pretty good job. It is a bit on the pricey side for me I think its currently 22.50 for 30ml, but I would say it does last a fair amount of time. I would recommend this primer.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Songk

The new ingredients like Avobenzone and Oxybenzone are chemical sunscreen ingredients. It makes the product aesthetically pleasing. But these are high hazard ingredients.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2013 10:49:00 AM More reviews by nikeata1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Mac has changed the formula but after speaking with a Mac Artist who has done some photo work recommend that i apply my moisturizer, then apply the prep and prime spf50 then apply some blot powder before apply my foundation. I can say on my first day that it is working now and but after a few hours I had to use more blot powder. This is a tip for the new formula of prep and prime spf50.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No