April 16, 2014 | 912 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Aveda - Large Paddle Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2010 5:37:00 AM More reviews by rabagast

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I've had this for about 3 years now. Some scratch marks on the wood, but apart from that it's as good as new.

I have the kind of hair that kills brushes. It's thick and very tangly and until i bought this brush it would take me like half an hour to brush my hair and it would be a good day if some part of the brush didn't fall off and get hopelessly stuck in my hair. Probably sounds like I'm making this up, but really, it was BAD.

I've never really seen the point in investing in great hairbrushes before, and after all they would end up broken pretty soon anyway. The last brush I had before this was a Redken GWP paddle brush, same size/shape as this one, so you'd think they'd work almost the same, but no. I bought this one when the Redken brush fell apart and felt somewhat silly about it, but I'm glad I did!

For some mysterious reason, this gets through my hair in no time. I don't know the first thing about brush technology, so it's like magic to me. Whatever the reason, this has reduced the rather gruelling task of brushing my hair from a 30-minute production involving a fair bit of discomfort and physical force to a minute of basically gently guiding this brush as it slips through my hair. It works so well it's weird, but only in a good way. Just the fact that it hasn't lost a single pin yet is amazing. That may be perfectly normal for people with easier hair than mine, but for me it's a first.

Obviously there are cheaper brushes around. But in the time I've had this, I would have ruined and had to replace at least 5 of those, so investing in this has saved me money in the long run.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 4:25:00 AM More reviews by hippodeem

my old faithful. i have bought this for a few times in the past 9 years. its just the best!!!
relaxing, big, doesnt need much brush strokes. i feel that it helps with circulations on the head and relaxing if you massage it in circle rotation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2010 2:42:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Works great at detangling/brushing without ripping hair up.

CONS: Price.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2009 2:09:00 AM More reviews by ifyouknew518

I completely regret buying this product. It is exactly like any other brush. It worked just like my dollar scrunchi brush did. There is nothing special.

I returned it but could only get store credit.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2009 11:37:00 PM More reviews by semolinapilchard

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

daily go-to. has lasted years of multiple uses per day on my thick, longass hair. it's fantastic.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2009 5:19:00 PM More reviews by bebexlove

After going through boar bristle brushes and plastic brushes and nylon brushes.. they allllllll have NOTHING compared to this Aveda paddle brush!

This leaves my hair straighttt, soft and just so touchable!!

THANK YOU AVEDA!! I have finally found the brush for meeeee!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2009 9:36:00 PM More reviews by AmyDbaby

I've had mine for over 10 years now and it's still going strong (except the parts my cat liked to chew on which look a bit rough by now but that's a whole other story) I have a very sensitive scalp and this brush is perfect for me. I mainly use it on wet hair. It's light and easy to maneuver. What's not to love?

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2009 9:23:00 PM More reviews by hjwms

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm new & this is my 1st review!
I just had to ditto the wonderfulness of this brush!!! I bought mine 21 ~ 22 yrs ago so it's Aveda's original style w/ the natural, untreated wood...still going strong & I absolutely LOOOVE it! I don't recall what I paid for it back then; but...I guess it really doesn't matter b/c the quality & durablity speak for themselves!
My 11 yr old son & I each use this at least once every day. We both have long, shiney & healthy hair. Mine is fine & straight w/o much volume (okay, flat & stick straight...I've accepted it) & his is fine & straight w/ very lovely thickness & volume. It's just perfect for us...nicely weighted w/o any pulling or breakage whatsoever, even when he uses it on his wet hair. Would definately purchase again at any price point...that is, if I ever need to! ; )

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2009 8:58:00 AM More reviews by CKrit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I actually own 2 of these great detangling brushes, having bought each separately. I have mid-to-long thick, straight hair, but because it is fine, it tangles like crazy. Wet or dry, the rubber bristles manage to penetrate through all my layers to the scalp to detangle my hair without irritation.

I am still using the first brush, despite having the wood finish practically worn off--which is partly why I bought the second one and why I can't justify giving it 5 stars. I have left the second one in it's box just so I can still admire the finish! Maybe I should coat it with some Thompson's Water Seal and see if that works? Ha ha.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 3:34:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

Bought this recently for two reasons:

(1) my beloved old Mason Pearson brushes finally died, after almost exactly 20 years' faithful service for the big one and 18 for the handbag smaller version;

(2) they'd used this paddle brush on my hair whenever I was at an Aveda salon. I liked the feel of it and results.

It's somewhere around 18-20 GBP/EUR/USD, which is more than many brushes, but not much more than other wooden ones that are untreated (the Aveda one is treated, so shouldn't warp with water hitting it). Quality's splendid. And it's much, much cheaper than a replacement Mason Pearson boar bristle.

Decent results. Scalp feels stimulated. Hair is detangled, and stays that way. (Hair here: fine strands, lots of them, slightly wavy, does tangle if left to its own devices.) The brush feels very solid - indeed, it's not exactly light, and I can see how a previous reviewer was able to use it as a hammer.

Ask me again in 20 years' time, but for the time being, this is a winner. It's also pretty, in a minimalist nice lines / beautiful materials way.

Like many other brushes, likely to last longer if washed regularly (every week or so), with lukewarm water and mild shampoo unless there are rubber bits, in which case just with water.

UPDATE: no need to ask be in 20 years's time on this one. This lasted 4 months before breaking. Replaced with a similar-looking cheaper paddle brush. It also broke. Both money wasted. Returned to the Mason Pearson, this time the "Junior" size mixed boar bristle & nylon. Hair is noticeably softer and smoother, and hair loss less. Brush not broken yet, either... Will update the MP review in another 20 years' time... continued >>

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No