October 25, 2014 | 1302 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Boots - Botanics Soothing Eye Makeup Remover

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2011 9:57:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

I just bought this today, so I used it once on my eye makeup. I usually need at least two cotton balls with remover to get my liner and shadow off. I used just one to test it, and it got most of it off. It didn't sting at all, and I don't notice very greasy skin. With a heavy oil remover you'll get it all over your lashes and cannot see, but this has a light weight oil and seems gentle. I think it's more gentle than my Lancome Bi-Facil.
The smell is light and just smells like plants to me. I think I paid about $6 for it at Target. Update: I know why this is so popular now. It's so gentle that it's like water on your face, but it removes everything. The light oil can get into every lash to remove makeup. It even took off mascara along with shadows in no time at all. I'm not going to write a whole page about it, like some have done, but keep in mind that most of the negative reviews are the minority or people who have other skin issues.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2010 7:59:00 PM More reviews by xDOLLFACEx

Great make up remover. Effortlessly removes makeup, non irritating and is moisturizing. Love that its more on the natural side too.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2010 11:06:00 PM More reviews by capucino911

Great product. Very gentle on your skin! Will clean up very niceI am very satisfied with this product since i have tried so many eye make up remover before and this is the best quality with the price under 10$!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2010 11:14:00 PM More reviews by smilezw

It is effective of removing makeup on my face. It does not make my eyes unconfortable. I compared this with my other eye makeup removing products including MUF eye makeup, L'oreal make up remove. This is better than other two in terms of removing eye makeups.

The cons of this product is
1. shaking bottle before using it, so I have to keep shake it until I finish the cleaning.
2. very oil, I free it is so hard to wash off the oil residue.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2010 9:57:00 PM More reviews by colormechic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just converted to this eye makeup remover and now I am a die hard fan. I have to say that this is by far, the easiest eye make up remover to use. There is no rubbing or tugging necessary to remove even the most heavily made up eyes. Waterproof mascara, liner, even highly pigmented blue, purple and teal melts under this.

You just need a few good swipe to get the job done. It does have some kind of weird oily residue but that doesn't bother me much as I normally follow up with my Ponds Cold Cream to clean the rest of my makeup. I can even use it to clean my waterline since it is so gentle.

It is soothing to the eyes, non irritating and most of all, you can also use it as an instant tired eye relief. I am not sure how many reviewers make use of that but just pop a bottle in the fridge and whenever you have tired eyes, wet a cotton round with it, set it on to of your eyes and relax for a few minutes. It works like magic.

I am not going back or experimenting with any other remover. This is my HG right there.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2010 7:39:00 AM More reviews by ClariceD

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin/eye area: dry, very sensitive, prone to dermatitis, redness and clogs, retin A user (0.01%) due to use of a prescription drug that induces acne in chin/jaw area. Contact lens wearer, prone to milia from overly rich formulations, but also to irritation and flaking on the lids if products are too drying or harsh.

I wear makeup perhaps four days out of seven. When I do, I always use 1-2 coats of waterproof mascara and often a gel or long-lasting pencil liner, as well as concealer on the eye area (Lancome Effacernes or MAC Studio Sculpt at the moment). I keep a dual-phase remover on hand to remove it all. My method is pretty standard:
1. Shake the bottle vigorously in all directions.
2.. Lay a cotton pad saturated with remover over my closed eye for 10 seconds or so, pinched in the middle to capture the undersides of my top lashes.
3. Wipe downwards.
4. Occasionally follow with a cotton bud dipped in product for any pesky traces of mascara or liner on the lashline.
5. Continue with my usual cleansing routine, which gets rid of any oily residue.
A good remover takes most of the makeup off at stage 2, only requires gentle strokes and eliminates the need for rubbing and tugging at stages 3 and 4, which invariably causes me soreness and irritation.

I was attracted to this particular remover by its price rather than its soothing claims. Here in the UK there isn't a huge array of drugstore dual-phase eye makeup removers. This is among the cheapest. I was excited by the prospect of finding a staple product at such a low price. The ingredients are fairly typical of this type of product - silicones in water with a couple of humectants for hydration. The only supposedly calming addition seemed to be the Iceland moss extract that "hydrates and soothes", according to the packaging. Like a lot of sensitive-skinned people, I'm pretty wary of such claims and try to pay more attention to the total formula than one heavily emphasised ingredient.

This product is undeniably economical. A 150ml bottle lasted me around eight months - for someone who wears waterproof eye makeup every day without fail, that's at least four months of daily usage. As it didn't cause me any direct adverse reactions, I wanted to use it up. Eventually I found myself willing it to run out so that I could go on to something more effective. However I used it - large quantity, small quantity, extra time held over eye, different shaking techniques - it simply wasn't thorough or gentle enough for my liking. Firm wiping and rubbing for a decent length of time was required to get a satisfactory amount of mascara/liner off - I've had comparable results with products that aren't intended to remove waterproof makeup. I then followed with makeup/sunscreen remover for the rest of my face (Earth Science ADE Creamy Cleanser) and a mild Avene gel cleanser. Even then, there was often a slight grey shadow under my eyes after showering the next morning. If I spent as long as was necessary trying to remove my makeup, the usual result was dry, flaky lids.

I have no real complaints about the packaging, although a pump might be useful to reassure me that I'm not just pouring out the top layer of product, as it separates quickly from the top down after shaking. It's aesthetically pleasing and functional - dual-phase removers by nature can be awkward to dispense and I don't think the design of this one particularly adds to the challenge. I've had no issues with this product as a contact lens wearer, but I take my lenses out before removing eye makeup and don't usually put them in again until the next day.

Overall the annoyances about this product outweigh any positives, the major one of which remains the price. I much prefer Boots No7 Cleanse & Care (7.50), which, when Boots issue their 5 off No7 vouchers, works out marginally cheaper than the Botanics version. I'll neither repurchase nor recommend this. The search continues...
Ingredients (added to box at top of page): Aqua, cyclopentasiloxane, isohexadecane, cyclohexasiloxane, butylene glycol, cetraria islandica (Iceland moss) extract, propylene glycol, methylparaben, sodium citrate, benzophenone-4, 2-bromo-2-nitroprophane-1, 3-diol, sorbitol, phenoxyethanol, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben, CI 19140, CI 42090.
UK RRP: 2.99/150ml, from Boots nationwide.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2010 7:51:00 AM More reviews by MichelleLS

I used to use Cliniques Take The Day Off emu remover but bought this because I was short of pennies. I would say its just as good! I really like it, it removes all my mascara and eyeliner clean away without rubbing and leaves my eyes feeling fresh.
I don't like the residue on my skin though so I just remove my eyemakeup after cleansing then tone after to remove the residue oil.
Will be buying again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2010 7:18:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"Botanics Soothing Eye Make Up Remover effortlessly removes eye make up even waterproof mascara while also comforting and soothing the eye area, containing soothing Iceland Moss with high sugar content which helps to hydrate and calm skin as well as cleanse . Plant extracts at levels that really work, combined and formulated for unbeatable product performance. Naturally."

Claims - True or False?
1) Effortlessly removes eye makeup: False.
2) Comforts and soothes the eye area: False.
3) Hydrates and calms the skin: False.

Packaging:
The remover comes in a slender clear plastic bottle with a screw off cap. Aesthetically, it's very nice and simple, and allows you to easily see how much product is left. In terms of its practicality, well.. The design is simply not well-suited toward this remover. I don't mind the fact that you have to unscrew the top to use it, but with this remover it is a definite issue, which will be discussed further down. The labeling lists the ingredients and method of use. Another minor flaw with the packaging is that it can easily topple over if you do not store it carefully while using it. I wound up spilling some down the sink due to the bottom of the packaging.

Smell:
I haven't noticed any strong scent when using. I don't think any fragrance was added, but i could be mistaken. If anything, it may just smell somewhat plant-y.

Consistency:
Being a dual-phase, this remover has two layers: oil and emulsifier. Shake the bottle and it creates a light green oily liquid. The combined consistency is quite oily on the lids, and if left to dry does take a good 5-10 minutes to do so. It does have a mild soapiness to it as well. Unlike Lancome's dual-phase however, this one separates almost instantly.

Ease of Use:
Somewhat of a pain to use, but not difficult. Shake the bottle to combine the layers, moisten a cotton round and apply to the eye area and gently wipe away makeup. The reason it becomes a pain to use is because it separates so fast. Shaking it multiple times isn't an issue, but after replacing the lid, shaking and unscrewing the lid, it starts to separate. I tried placing a cotton ball on the opening while shaking, but it soaked the ball far too much. I found that the best way to use it to ensure the formula combined and stayed combined for a decent amount of time was to shake the bottle while it's upside-down, then unscrew the lid and dispense the product.

Bang for your Buck:
The remover cost about $9.00CAD for 150ml. Price-wise, it's a good deal, as I can see it lasting a good 4+ months with daily use.

Final Consensus:
If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the infamous Lancome Bi-Facil remover, this may work for you. It's definitely a different product than Bi-Facil, and thus produces a different result with makeup removal as well as on the skin itself. I'd recommend it to those who are not sensitive to natural plant-based ingredients and if oily residues do not turn you off, give this remover a try.
- Pros: Minimal blurred vision when used, removes eyeshadow very easily, well priced for the amount you are given, aesthetically pleasing, not too difficult to find locally.
- Cons: Somewhat difficult to use, can be irritating and drying to the eye and the skin, very oily consistency, does not remain combined for long enough, possibly caused excess lash fallout, does not remove non-waterproof mascara very easily, does not remove glitter or shimmer particles, leaves obvious flakes on the eye area, the packaging does not work well for the product itself.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2010 7:40:00 AM More reviews by ericbubu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought Boots eye makeup remover after reading some reviews on the Lancome's version (which I was using before). I always thought that Lancome's was the best on the market so even though it was rather expensive, I forked out the money anyway thinking that beauty required making some sacrifices.
I bought mine during a trip abroad in Thailand on sale for THB250 (original price is THB300). Compared to Lancome, Boots was dirt cheap.
I love this bottle! It removes my waterproof mascara very nicely, and sometimes even if I don't wash my eyes right away, the oil from the eye makeup remover never bothers me.
It's a great buy and a great product! I recommend it to everyone!
Update 06/06/2011: During another trip to Thailand this year, I found Boots eye makeup remover on sale for even cheaper. Only THB199. I thought I got such a great deal...until I heard from my mom that she found it in another Boots chain store for THB175!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2010 9:07:00 PM More reviews by xBl0cPartyx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is nice on the eyes, it doesn't sting me or leave much residue, it kinda feels like water which is good. It removes even waterproof makeup really well.