Boots Mattifying Make-up Base

3.1

on 10/21/2011 4:40:00 PM

This was dry and cakey, very hard to smooth out no matter how I applied it or what I wore it under. After 3 hours my face looked pastey and makeup had kind of a cracked effect instead of smooth and matte. Despite washing thoroughly I broke out badly after.

on 7/21/2011 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I have a notorious oily skin, and for the first three hours, it did a good job in making my face looks matte. After that, i'm back being busy with my blot paper.
The texture is very thick and dries really fast on my face so i have to apply it on section by section, also it feels really thick instead of velvety smooth (made me feel like i'm wearing layers of foundation, when in fact i only wear tinted moisturizer).
Even though it didn't made my skin break, i would not recommend it for people with super oily skin like myself.

on 7/17/2011 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I believe this primer is breaking me out but I am not 100% sure. As for creating a smooth canvas for makeup, it is so-so. It did help my foundation spread better but it didn't completely mattify my face. Within two hours, oil broke through the foundation. It is relatively cheap and can be found at Target. I will try this one more time before I change the rank.

on 6/6/2011 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is the first face primer I have tried so I really didn't know what to expect. I was surprised it was so thick and gritty feeling - but I think this is a good primer so far because I don't need to blot my face for excess oil as often as before and I apply a lot less blotting powder now. This primer doesn't go on smooth from the bottle - instead I put a dab in the palm of my hand and using my other hand, I dab little amounts all over my face and then gently smooth over. Like previous posters before me, it leaves a white residue in your hairline and hair, so be careful where you put this!

The price is good compared to other primers I have researched and since you don't need to use a lot of it, it lasts a long time... I got this for $14.00 CDN at Shoppers Drug Mart.

UPDATE: Pretty sure this stuff is making me break out on my forehead.

on 6/5/2011 7:47:00 PM

This is an incredible mattifying primer for under ten bucks. You also get a ton of product for that price.

It does tend to 'ball up' if you apply too much or if you don't blend it well enough. I have to apply in sections with my fingers (a brush won't work!!!) and quickly blend in. Avoid going too close to the hairline if you use it on your forehead because it will look flaky.

Never had a problem with applying my foundation over it, as long as you don't use a lot of product.

I wore this under my MAC foundation to a wedding in 95 degree humid weather and didn't have to blot even once. Amazing!

on 6/5/2011 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

i wouldn't buy this product again. it's very chalky and dries to a horrible finish and foundation doesn't glide on after application. leaves a white paste like consistency on my face. not a very good makeup base and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on 3/5/2011 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Wow! I love this product! I have "mature" skin so I was a little worried with the reviews about it being drying and chalky.....but it works perfect for me! I still have oily skin even though I'm older and it controls the oil and helps tighten the skin and cover the fine lines! I used the Boots mousse makeup over it and my makeup stayed perfect all day! No touchups no creasing it stayed exactly as it was applied! That for me is a miracle! I'm going out to buy more so I'm sure to have it when I go to Greece! Thx Boots!

on 12/30/2010 4:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

My face, especially my nose, gets EXTREMELY oily. This primer is the only thing that has stopped the oil and the shine. Though I wouldn't use it as a primer, since you can't apply it on your skin like a typical primer.

After I apply liquid foundation, I squeeze a tiny amount onto my two index fingers, rub them together, and pat the oiliest parts of my face. Then I apply loose powder like I normally would.

I also looove to use these on my eyes. This works wonderfully to stop my eye makeup from creasing. You have to be careful not to use too much, though, otherwise it'll leave dry, unwanted visible whiteness.

You can use this ONLY on oily parts. If you apply this to a part of your face that doesn't get oily, it will get unpleasantly dry. And yes, it is... a strange white consistency, but that's why you use just a tiny bit.

Unfortunately, it's only available at Target. That's not so bad since it takes quite a long time to get through one. Overall I am pleased with this product and will continue to buy it.

on 10/16/2010 6:25:00 PM

I got a generous sample of this at Target from a Boots rep.
I wanted to give this a try because I am super oily and the reviews said that it does mattify pretty well (which it does).
However, this product immediately broke me out and when I researched the ingredients, one of them was a 4 on the scale of 0 to 5 as far as causing acne. So I am glad I didn't spend $10 on it and stopped using it quickly.

I found this on clearance at Shopper's for $3! I have used it a few times and it smooths very well. I read all the reviews here once I got home. It works with my mineral make up and Smashbox Halo. Will update once I have used longer. I just use it on the lines and oily parts of my face and pat gently rather than rub. I am not sure if this is being discontinued, but I will see if they have more at another Shopper's! I bought the last one!