November 25, 2014 | 1716 users online

Gels/Soaps - Chagrin Valley - All Products

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2011 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Tshank777

I used to use and try all of Lush shampoo Bars till I found these Shampoo bars from ida at Chagrin Valley, I have to say my hair finally adjusted them after a month and I am one happy customer! The Bars i love so Far are Herb Garden which seems to be moisturizing for my hair lathers nice and creamy and also rinses well. I also like ayurvedic, and i have also tried Cafe moreno which is ok, i have just received my latest order which is Nettle ,Tea Tree and neem , Butter Bar which i am sooo excited about . and I got another Herb Garden since I really Love it . i also love her eye and face mousse great for under eye bags circles and fine lines. i have also been using her Seabuckthorn soap which i also love, Gotta say I Love her shipping it is always fast and I will continue to give her my business because she is awesome.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2011 5:34:00 PM More reviews by stormbk

I have been searching for superior quality, inexpensive, natural, chemical free body soap/ shampoo and facial cleansers. Chagrin Valley has been a godsend. I recently tried Aloe, Aloe body soap which is amazing. I don't even need moisturizer. I am currently using Extra Honey Beer shampoo bar for my hair which I love. My hair is so shiny and looks healthier than ever. Sometimes, I use a 50/50 water/vinegar rinse after I shampoo my hair. For my face I am using the Rhasoul/Yogurt complexion bar and it really cleans my face well and does not dry out my face. I have combination/acne prone skin. I bought a bunch of other samples but yet to try them. I can't wait! I encourage everyone to try these amazing products!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2011 7:01:00 AM More reviews by krjcmc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought some samples and a few full size items. I have mixed feelings about the items I purchased. What is really off putting to me is the same heavily HERBAL smell in absolutely every product. Everything smells the same. Kind of an antiseptic/herbal/medicinal smell. It's not completely unpleasant, but not what I want to smell like all the time, and the smell lingers. And I wish that every single product did not smell like that, but they all do.

I did try their deodorant, and I am pretty happy with it so far. It seems to work pretty well. I do feel a little sweaty by the end of the day, but the product seems to control odor well. I also got one of the salves - not sure how that is working since I need to give it more time.
I have to say I don't really care for any of the soaps and shampoo samples I tried, mainly because of the medicinal smell that they all seem to carry. The soaps do lather well and seem to moisturize my skin, but my skin almost feels "coated" after using them. I am still unsure of how I feel about shampoo bars. They do give my hair lots more wave and body, but I definitely get that "wax coated" feeling on my hair too, which I don't like.
I really wanted to "love" these products - but unless they end up wowing me on what they do for my hair and skin, I won't be repurchasing since that herbal smell is really too much. I also bought samples of the facial and body scrubs (which carry the same smell as everything else - especially the body scrub where it's unpleasantly strong) - and to look at the jar it appears you are getting a pretty good sized sample, but I quickly realized that they are double walled jars so you are actually only getting product about half to a third of the size of the jar and much less than what you'd expect based on how the jar looks.

Edit - after trying some of the products for longer, I can say the shea rose clay soap does NOT have the strong herbal smell that most of the other products I tried do. It doesn't really smell like roses either. It doesn't have a strong scent at all. I like clay soaps, and this one is no exception. I'd repurchase it.
The honey butter lip balm is very moisturizing. Not terribly long lasting though.
And after trying the deodorant for a while - I can say that it does work. I exercise and have a job where I'm up running around and it lasts through all of that. It does have kind of a weird metallic-y smell to it, but I am *super* scent picky, so that may be just me. I don't love applying deodorant with my fingers though. And the little tin it comes in can be hard to pry open sometimes.
Sadly, the calendula ointment didnt do much for me at all. Sort of a greasy ointment and I used it on some rashes/skin cracks etc and it didn't seem to help much.
Sorry for the long review- hope it helps.

8 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2011 12:41:00 AM More reviews by heavengirl1390

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Other

UPDATE: 11/14/2012
It's been about a year and a half since I last wrote this review. I've stopped using Chagrin Valley because I recently moved to a hard water location and washing my hair with the bar took longer. I would get funky build up and sticky residue. Rinses work but... I could never get use to using the vinegar, store-bought, or citric acid rinses. The smell, process, or price of the rinses REALLY bothered me. I would love Chagrin Valley if I lived in an area with moderated to soft water locations.

*~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~*

As a whole, I love Chagrin Valley! I've tried several homemade soap companies and I always find myself going back to Chagrin Valley. The customer service is awesome. The package is splendid. The smell overall is FANTASTIC! Your mailbox will smell like flowers! Every single bar is different. It has it's own characteristics so it difficult to judge this company by review ONE bar. Down further, I have critique every bar I've ever used by Chagrin Valley. Bear with me. :)

For reference, I have extremely oily and acne prone facial skin. My body on the other hand is extreme dry and sensitive. My asian hair is SUPER OILY and dense and course 1c (according to the Long Hair Community).

My favorite are: Grapeseed Shea, Carrot Honey, Honey Beer, Honey Egg Beer Shampoo, and Cucumber Lime.

***Carrot and Honey Complexion:
One of my other favorites. Extremely gently. Great for my oily skin. Smell is earthy sweet goodness. Feels amazing on my skin. It cleanses and moisturizes well. I've noticed my face's redness has gone down. This soap gets me excited to wash my face! :P

***Chamomile & Calendula:
Honestly, I didn't find this soap special at all. I found the smell unbearable. It smelled like nasty moldy grass.

***Dead Sea Spa:
The lather is very thick and rich. The scent? Different! It's earthy yet has a lemony tang to it. I'm not too crazy about this bar. :(

***Cucumber Lime Soap:
I'm addicted to this scent. Scent reminds me of sweet limeade. Lathers well. Extremely soothing in the shower. Lol, I take extra long showers when I use this soap! Pleasant on the face after sunburn. I also use this soap as a 'leave on' for bug bites.

***Goat Milk Oatmeal Honey:
Not so pleased. Iíve never been a fan of oatmeal in my soaps. Has a natural earthy oats smell. Wayy too harsh and gritty. Made my skin too tight and flaky.

***Honey Butter:
Very very moisturizing. Awesome moisture! Great for bitter winters. Too much moisture for other months. I wasnít too fond of the smell. Makes shaving worth while! Forget the lotion, with this magic tool, we can save money over the years without lotion!

***Mango Multi Body Butter Serenity Grove:
Smells sooo soothing and good. Great in the shower to seal in moisture! Melts way too fast! I wished it didn't clog my tub.

***Grapeseed Shea:
My favorite multi-purpose soap! Even though, I love sampling the other soaps ,I always find myself lingering back to this! It's perfect for my sensitive oily acne face, hive prone body skin and oily coarse hair! Wonderful in everyway! I use this every night and morning to wash my face.

***Honey Beer:
My second favorite to the Grapeseed Shea. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the gigantic lather, smell and cleansing effects. Moisture is perfect. My second favorite to the Grapeseed Shea. I use this as my shower body soap!

***Honey Beer and Egg Shampoo:
Most VOLUMINOUS and shiny hair shampoo I've ever used. This is a god send! I always use this before a date night to get SMEXY HAIR! I adore the after effects this shampoo had my hair. My hair became lustrous and shiny but I can only use this Honey Beer and Egg Shampoo once a week. I found that if I used this too often I begin to experience horrible tangles and breakage to my ends.

***Olive and Shea:
I found the scent to be bland. The effects are the same as the Honey Butter! :)

***Olive Babassu Shampoo:
Another multi-purpose soap. Super moisturizing. Best unscented soap yet! There are times I find myself not in the mood for any scents. I also use Olive Babassu on super sensitive face skin days. Wonderful to keep in my gym bag in the hot Texas heat. I'm always afraid of the some sort of scent leaking out into my car and my clothes. With Olive Babassu I don't have to worry. :)

***Patchouli Herb:
Smell is unlike anything I've ever used. I didn't like it so much on my body but it did wonders for my dandruff hair. :)

***Citrus Soapnuts and Sunflower Shampoo:
Citrus like shampoo. Perfect clarifying shampoo. I use this 1-2 twice a week for build-up removal from heavy styling products. This is the first clarifier that didn't strip my hair completely.

CONS:
-Because the bars are made of natural oils and lipids, the bars will melt extremely quick in the shower.
-Expensive in comparison to other soaps
-Soap's PH is very alkaline. (despite the website mentioning soap bar to be a neutral, this is because they tested the mixture before add lye)
-Can take a while to get used to. You may need a special formulated rinse

Would I buy from Chagrin Valley again? Depending on the bar... I absolutely would! :)

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 1:28:00 AM More reviews by EmmaAte

I understand why so many people rave about Chagrin Valley products -- they do not disappoint. I used to be completely oblivious to what was in my "sensitive skin" soaps and shampoos. I just trusted the popular brands -- I mean really, if everyone is using it, how could it really be bad, right? Then, a few years ago, I was diagnosed with a little-known, female pain condition called vulvodynia. At first, I was horrified to know that the condition had no real "cure" (and the name contained the word vulva, ugh), but the frustration quickly mobilized me into investigatory-mode in order to find not only a cure, but also a cause. One of the first things I started doing was reading labels on everything I used including soaps & shampoos. What I found was shocking. I've become cynical about our nation's investment in regulating all of the toxins found in commonly used, commonly assumed "safe" products. Who's to say exactly what my body is responding to with pain -- as an American consumer, I was drowning in chemicals! It didn't take long to discover that even so-called "organic", "all-natural", and "handmade" products are often no more wholesome than their commercial counterparts. I'm sure that CV has heard this before but I'll say it anyway -- it was refreshing to have found their site! The Chagrin Valley website is AWESOME because they not only give us the ingredient list for every product, they explain how and why they use those ingredients. I love that I'm not only buying a new soap, I am also learning a great deal of information about different oils and herbs, and how these will affect my body. It's been gratifying to know that I finally found a company that treats their customers so respectfully. I'm thankful to them for being so open, honest, and enthusiastic about sharing their products. I also appreciate their dedication to great service -- I ordered twice on a Friday and got my soaps on the following Wednesday without paying more for shipping than the products!

So far, my favorite soaps: the Aloe, Aloe, Aloe soap, and the Seabuckthorn & Tea Tree Oil soap. The first makes my skin freakishly soft. I say that because I didn't think it possible to go from damp, tight skin post-cleansing to velvety smooth once dry! This is a fantastic shaving soap. The Seakbuckthorn soap has been my facial wash. I've been using it for a little over a week and already my cystic acne-prone skin is looking fantastic. Something I've noted -- just like the shampoos, the soaps take a little longer to wash off your skin than commercial soap. With the Seabuckthorn soap, I've actually not tried so hard to scrub it all off before I go to bed. I think that "residue" is what is making my skin so much healthier -- it keeps nourishing while I sleep.

My sample for the whipped eye and face mousse just came in yesterday so I don't have much to say yet other than it feels really good here in West Texas. I plan to use it under my mineral make-up. I'm also trying the whipped butters -- they smell good enough to eat! They also held up well in the mail even though we were in the double-digits when I received my package. Of the three, the cocoa butter was the only one with noticeable shrinkage and it was minimal.

The shampoo has been a different experience. These don't rinse out as cleanly as a detergent shampoo making the "quick" hair wash something of the past (although it's cool to be forced to love my hair a little longer). So, for the last week I've had waxy, sort of oily-looking hair, even with the vinegar. (CV provides in-depth information about vinegar rinses and why you might need them -- as luck would have it, I live in one of the areas with really hard water.) But, my persistence has paid off -- today I finally achieved awesome hair status! For the first time in YEARS I'm going on 2 days without having to wash my hair because of oil and dandruff. It seems that I have a "normal" scalp after all! I've been using the Neem & Tea Tree Oil Body & Hair Shampoo, and the Ayurvedic bar. I know that a lot of people don't like the smell of tea tree oil but this bar, while very fragrant, doesn't make your hair smell antiseptic like a lot of other tea tree oil products. In fact, like the vinegar rinse, once my hair is dry I don't smell much of anything at all. The only product that hasn't worked for me yet is the Butter Bar Conditioning soap. I used it on Day 3 (hoping to combat the waxy texture) but it made my hair look and feel much worse. I will probably use it only on the ends of my hair as suggested.

I'm not pain-free yet but it feels good to know that I've eliminated more substances that might be helping to make me miserable. Vulvodynia is chronic vulvar pain without an identifiable cause.. In my case, it feels like I'm burning "down there"; sex is impossible. I've discovered that many women have this issue but go undiagnosed for a variety of reasons, including a lack of understanding by their treating physicians. If you, or anyone you know needs more information about vulvodynia you may contact me, or join the National Vulvodynia Association (NVA.org). It's been a blessing to connect with more people who choose not to "suffer" and who are actively trying to find solutions.

26 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2011 9:30:00 PM More reviews by uniki

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I found CV on the web a few months ago. I was looking for bar shampoo (no plastic packaging & natural ingredients!) & I'm now in love with their products!

I love love love that you can buy samples - BEST thing ever!!

My favorites are the Chamomile & Citrus and the Lavender Spice.

I didn't like the smell of the Honey Beer & Egg & the Ayurvedic Herb was just ok.

The Butter Bar Conditioner shampoo didn't have much of a smell but it didn't do much for my hair - which is very fine & limp.

Both the sample size & regular size bars are large.

The prices are good and the shipping quick.

They also have several different herbal salves for various skin problems.

I just bought their St. John's Wort with Comfrey & Calendula for injection site reactions (itching & redness) from a medication I'm on.

The itching is much better and the redness is less.

Thank you Chagrin Valley!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 10:42:00 AM More reviews by neddykapoozle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Chagrin Valley are the only soaps and the only shampoos I will let touch my face or my long, curly hair. The ingredients are wonderful, scents are divine but not synthetic or irritating, customer service is a dream, I cannot speak highly enough of this company and their products.

A quick breakdown of my favorites:

Neem and Tea Tree Oil: great for my acne prone skin. Cleared it right up and I use it ever now and then. The scent is something to get used to, but now I don't even mind it. The neem oil makes is smell very strongly, but the great results are worth the scent.

Grapeseed Shea (now Grapeseed Tomato Complextion): lovely and moisturizing, but with some clay in it. Leaves my face feeling supple and smooth. A good "base line soap" for the face.

Rhassoul Clay and Yogurt Complextion: Food for the face! Such a creamy, dreamy lather on this one. It feels so luxurious and like I've just had a nice clay facial mask on, but infinitely easier to use. I lather up in the shower, let it sit on my face for a few minutes, then rinse off. Really adore this one.

Shea Rose Clay: lovely pink soap that smells of roses and other flowers. Wonderfully moisturizing, but still fine for my normally oily skin. I use this a lot in the winter. More moisturizing than the Grapeseed Tomato Complextion.

Olive Babassu Shampoo: Wonderful rich and moisturizing shampoo for my fragile, long, curly hair. I follow up with a vinegar rinse and my hair is left bouncy and shiny. I use this maybe once a week, the rest of the time I CO wash.

Nettle Shampoo: Not as moisturizing as the olive babassu, but still really nice. I like this in the summer. Smells a little grassy, but I really like the scent. Like crushed plants.

I've adored most all of the body soaps I've tried, but my favorites are the Honey Butter (always have a bar or two of this aging), Peppermint Twist, Goatmilk Honey Oatmeal, Lavender Oatmeal Spice, and Sea Salt and Seaweed.

Overall I really highly recommend this company and their products. The bars are massive and full of wonderful, high quality ingredients. The also sell generous sample bars for testing out what formulas work for you. This isn't a place that just has one base recipe and tinkers with scents; the formulations of every bar is different.

Do yourself a favor and check out this company!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2010 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Daphn2000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wasnt to impressed. Did not feel clean after I used these soaps. :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2010 7:23:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was browsing MUA top picks and was really surprised to see this near the top of the list! But I must agree, these soaps are really nice. I discovered Chargrin Valley when I was looking for alternatives to shampoo. Solid shampoo is a completely different experience, so if you try them, please read up on the concept first. I am using the only solid hair conditioner they sell (Butter bar conditioner) as a shampoo right now and I love it. It's hard to run my fingers through my hair after washing with it, so a dilute apple vinegar mix at the end does the trick (about a capful or two in a big cup, and don't rinse it out). I don't think you can make a bad choice when ordering from CV. The lotion bars are great too! I used mine as an eye cream and on my hands and legs in the winter. I love the all natural ingredients. As for soaps, I recommend Dead Sea Spa. It smells citrus-y and has been great on my face. I look forward to trying even more of their products.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2010 1:54:00 PM More reviews by mignondee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Dude, I love this place! I have not used regular soap or shampoo in over 3 months! I am addicted. They have a wide variety of soap and shampoo bars to choose from and they also have body butter, lip balms, face and eye cream and more! They ship pretty fast and the customer service is great! Check em out.. You won't regret it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No