Clinique Sheer City Block SPF 25

3.8

Ingredients: Active: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%), Zinc Oxide (6.9%), Other: Water, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Steareth-2, Stearyl Heptanoate, Aluminum Stearate, Silica, Lecithin, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Betula Alba (Birch) Bark Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sorbitan Tristearate, Linoleic Acid, Polyquaternium-51, Caprylyl Methicone, Sorbitol, Sodium Rna, Phospholipids, Peg-40 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytantriol, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cellulose, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Pantethine, Bisabolol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Ceteth-2, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Steareth-20, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Sodium Stearate, Nylon-12, Citric Acid, Nylon-6, Hexylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Edta, Bht, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 5/2/2014 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This sunscreen feels a bit heavy but doesn't make my skin oily. I can feel it's there, and I am aware I have an 'extra layer' but it doesn't bother me or affect my make up in any way. However, it gives me this very obvious white/grey cast... I am light olive and this makes me look tired/ill. I used this with a light layer of foundation and bronzer and was still very visible. I see how it works for really fair people though. I also don't like the smell but the product in itself is really good. I would use it if it didn't leave a cast.

on 4/14/2014 7:59:00 PM

I love this! I've been trying in vain to find a sunscreen/primer since MAC changed the formula on prep and prime 50. My skin does not do well with chemical sunscreens and the physical screens in this are great. It also has oil control and keeps my makeup in tct for the work day. HG!

P.s. Let it dry before applying makeup! World of difference - makes it a primer instead of just sunscreen.
Thanks Rachel for the tip!

on 3/15/2014 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This is a physical sunscreen, full spectrum. No chemical screen, and it is oil blocking, non comedogenic and has antioxidants in it. It works as a tinted moisturizer if you are fair, and the tint just blocks the chalk look of the physical sunscreen ingredients. It can be used as a primer as well.

I bought it last year because my skin is reacting to chemical sunscreens. I love it. I do have to wear a good cream under it on my dry skin areas aka the non t zone bits. Prevented tanning, freckling & burning. No zits.

I found it worked well as a tinted moisturizer but I'm a fair skinned redhead. I also set it with an spf pressed powder from Maybelline now discontinued!!!! Next I will try with Elizabeth Arden spf 25 mineral powder foundation. Edited to add, this is a wonderful combo. It ups the SPF a bit which is great, plus it adds another sheer layer of coverage but it looks like you aren't wearing anything, just that your skin looks great.

It tends to separate in the tube so give a good shake and massage the tube every few days.

Great for travel, the tube is under the liquid allowance limit so if you just use a carry on you will find it handy.

The ONLY downside is that it can be a bit drying. On the plus side, it doesn't enhance flaky dry bits or cause zits, so the comfort factor is the only negative and I solved that by applying CeraVe on my dry patches before applying this.

on 3/5/2014 11:43:00 AM

Perfect sunblock for my face, does not break me out, works great under makeup and I feel that it has improved my skin a lot. I use the SPF 40 instead of the 25 though.

Just a tip; since it dries fast work in small sections and don't rub it once it dries or it might 'pill.'

on 2/25/2014 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I really, really wanted to like this product, as I need a physical sunscreen. This one gets a lot of high ratings, is a great sunscreen and also contains lots of stuff that's good for your skin. So off to the Clinique counter I went.

The color of this product, while brown, blended in nicely with my skintone. But this product settled into every single pore on my face and made my pores more noticeable. It also settled into all my fine lines (and I don't have many). Applied foundation and concealer over this, which helped, but the color of my foundation was slightly off with this underneath it.

Applied this about 10 a.m. and washed my face around 8 p.m. No residue left on my face after using my regular cleanser.

Positives:
Easy to apply
Felt cosmetically elegant
Gives great sun protection
Price is decent for a silky facial physical sunscreen
I didn't have to blot my face once when wearing this!

Cons:
Settled into every single pore and line on my face
To get adequate sun protection you'd need to apply an entire teaspoon of this product. A teaspoon worth of this product on the face would be way too thick and sticky
As the day wore on, my face looked grainy
As the day wore on, my facial lines appeared magnified

I wanted to get a sample of this before purchasing a full-sized tube but was told samples of this product were not available. However, I was assured by the salesperson that I could return the product once I'd tried it if I didn't like it. Back it went. Still searching for an affordable physical sunscreen that plays nice with my skin.

on 1/31/2014 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

best sunscreen ever for the face..........oil free, feels like nothing on the skin, and is skin colour......great for reapplying in the middle of the day too over your makeup if you really need too..........those other sunscreens that say ultra-lite fluid don't feel light on my skin at all

on 1/30/2014 11:32:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Sunscreen - Clinique - City Block Sheer Oil-Free Daily Face Protector Broad Spectrum 25 SPF (search this for more reviews)

I love this product. I'm so glad the last item I bought at sephora didn't work out or I never would have found it! I don't wear makeup but have always wanted to and this has helped me land somewhere in the middle. It helps hide most of the imperfections on my face plus its fighting off the sun so my skin can actually focus on repairing and what not. I am so glad that the cosmetics cop (beautypedia.com-reviews) has reviewed this product which has helped me discover what it really has to offer compared to others.

It is very easy to apply I just shake it dot it all around my face even close to the eye area and I smooth it over my skin gently and it sinks in well. I now get compliments on my skin which is nice and I look about 5 years younger using it since it hides my under eye circles.

on 1/11/2014 3:28:00 PM

I remember this product from when I was in highschool and I thought that it had been discontinued so I super pleased to find it. It only seems to come in one colour which is quite light so it works really well on my fair skin (so if you aren't pale or fair maybe no dice) It blends easily and evens out my skintone nicely without being too thick or greasy. It doesn't provide a ton of coverage and it won't conceal absolutely everything so I just go back in and touch up with concealer. It doesn't make skin look all that different just somehow better and not overly made up...and it has SPF which is why I bought it.

on 1/5/2014 5:56:00 AM

Great stuff.

I've been using this and the City Block SPF40 for 20 years. It seems to work and at 50+ I have no wrinkles and little pigmentation.

There is a difference between this and the SPF40 version. This is thicker because it has more titanium dioxide and fewer chemicals. Whilst this is good in my opinion it does make for a thicker product which can 'bubble' if you apply too much.

It's also darker than the SPF40- mainly due to being less sheer. For a pale girl like me, it is darker than my foundation, so adds colour even though sometimes I'd rather it didn't.

I don't agree with the idea it's greasy- I don't think it is at all. It's good value and even using it daily a tube lasts me around 6 months which seems a real bargain!

I'd rate it as 5 *s if it wasn't so tinted.

on 12/26/2013 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This makes me look very shiny even though it says oil free. Its a shame because the formula is very gentle and has a nice sheer tint which doesn't leave a white cast. If I apply foundation over the top, these tiny little powdery particles start to ball up and ruin my application. I will not be repurchasing but will continue to wear when I go for a run.