December 19, 2014 | 1542 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by BlueSkies09

I have been using this sunscreen for almost a year now and it would have to be my favourite so far. It has a light creamy texture with a skin-like tint that works for light or medium tones. The tint lasts and does not transfer during the day. It does go on sheer as the name suggests, evening out skin tone and leaving a slight luminosity to skin. I could understand that on oily skin the finish may be shinier, even dewy, which may or may not be your cup of tea, but I have never found it to be heavy, just a natural and fresh finish. It just looks like my skin only better. For drier skins, try using a moisturiser or serum along with this product before giving up on it (this works well for me on dry days).

I have used it with success as a primer under foundation (in summer) and as a tinted moisturiser (a perfect match in winter, when I am lighter). In fact I have been complimented when wearing it like a tinted moisturiser, with concealer only where needed and a hint of blush, so this is now what I wear regularly. It helps to keep my makeup routine quick and simple on weekdays, and it is healthier for the skin. I then pull out the foundation for weekends or going out.

One little tip: when you get to the end of the tube, cut off the bottom to access the remaining product that you can't squeeze out. I keep it covered with cling film and a rubber band so it doesn't dry out or you could scrape it into a tester pot.

While it is expensive, it has many virtues: it is a versatile product; one tube lasts for months; it is fragrance-free and oil-free; it contains antioxidants; it is a mineral sunscreen, so it is gentle on sensitive skin and the zinc may be beneficial for blemished skin. It is worth every penny if you buy it when there is a gift with purchase and if you make sure you use up every drop.

I have tried the SPF 30 City Block and did not like it as much.

Overall, a terrific sunscreen for all skin types apart from oily.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 7:42:00 AM More reviews by lessismore3

I love this sunscreen! Started using whilst on accurate and when everyone was extolling the need to for sunblock use to protect your skin. This is the only sunscreen that doesn't make my face break out. It feels fantastic on my skin, nice tint and is just a spot on facial sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2013 8:00:00 AM More reviews by singapuracat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was looking for an alternative to Mela-Shade which I get from the dermatologist, as they had run out and their supply was sparodic.

I like this as it is a physical block, feels really nice on my skin, not greasy or heavy. It has a light tint so you don't have a white ghost like look.

Being a roseaca sufferer I am very aware of the need of sunscreen, I don't really wear make-up, so finding something that works, which isn't a foundation is great!

My skin looks nice a fresh with a nice glow to it. I believe that it can be used under foundation as well. For the record, I also feel that this isn't too different from Mela-Shade, but half the price!

I think if I was out on the beach or walking for a few hours I would probably look for a higher SPF, but for everyday wear I think this will become my everyday favourite!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2013 3:39:00 AM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

{For reference, I have dry skin that turns very dry in the winter that is very sensitive with rosacea and not prone to breakouts, just flushing and irritation.}

This is a great everyday sunscreen. It's lightly tinted so there's no white residue even though it's a purely physical sunscreen. It's not greasy at all but is somewhat moisturizing so I can apply it over my Replenix CF Cream without needing another moisturizer in between the two.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Rachel1234

Love this! It is a physical sunscreen (spf 25) and oil absorbing primer in one. It has a very faint beige/peach tint (just to offset any white cast from the physical sunscreen), and it feels soft and lightweight on skin. Nice matte finish. I wear Clinique's "Perfectly Real Compact Powder Foundation" over this, and my skin looks smooth, natural, matte and fresh. Good stuff!

TIPS:
(1) Shake tube well before each use as sometimes there is a small amount of separation that can take place.

(2) Wait a few minutes to allow this to dry completely before applying makeup for best makeup application. Sometimes when I'm in a rush, I'll slap this on and then 30 seconds later apply my foundation, and my foundation will tend to 'stick' and look a little cakey and the color looks a tad off. Waiting that extra couple minutes to let this completely dry makes a big difference. I apply this, then go brush my teeth, then by the time I'm done it's dry and ready to go. :)

(3) This seems to have a light moisturizer built-in too, so since I have oily skin I do not apply moisturizer under this on my face. I apply eye cream, wait, then apply this CIty Block Sheer all over my face including around my eyes. If you have dry skin, you'll probably still want to use a moisturizer under this, but if you have oily skin, you don't need a separate moisturizer ... this is enough.

Hope that helps!

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 2:36:00 AM More reviews by TwiNnee

I tried, by chance, a sample of this cream and I found it very good!
Several people say that it makes the skin oily, but it's not happened to me, indeed, just put on my face, it dries and leaves a "powdery" feeling.
It's a cream suitable for everyday life, I love it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by mommygirl5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried so many times to love this...but just can't.

It's oily...don't understand how though. It's suppose to be oil free.

It feels sticky and goopy on my face. I can feel it "sitting" on top if my skin. Powder does nothing to help get rid of shine.

There is a tint to it...which made my face look orange. I'm extremely fair skinned, with a pink undertone.

The only plus...it didn't break me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 7:13:00 AM More reviews by YCH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Can't believe I have never reviewed this before ! I first bought this many years ago at an airport for use on holiday (we don't really get sun here in the UK !) Didn't give it much thought, it just did it's job and I never burned.
Anyway now I'm getting older, I find I like to protect my face during the UK "summer" and this really is wonderful - not only prevents sunburn, but really makes my skin look good - at least as good as any BB cream or light foundation I own (and I have quite a few).
Like another reviewer said simply BB cream way ahead of its time. Will definitely replace when it runs out - hope it is never discontinued now Clinique has brought out both BB and CC creams (neither of which do I much like).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 5:49:00 AM More reviews by XoXoSinCity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The amount of times I have gone back trying to love this as Clinique is very affordable compared to most lines out there but nope. It like every spf/tinted moisturizer I have tried just leaves my face greasy, shiny, and humid which clogs my pores/causes breakouts within hours. Such a shame and especially for a product that claims to be "OIL FREE".

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 5:30:00 AM More reviews by Walko

This is an excellent tinted sunscreen. I've used it for years.It's as good as or better than a lot of TM's or BB creams .Excellent mineral based sunscreen, so no irritation around eyes. A lot of people complain about stinging eyes with sunscreens, its the chemical sunscreen components, but as this is only titanium dioxide and zinc oxide they're shouldn't be a problem.This is a good option for foundation in the summer. I just use this and powder, and that's all I need. It can look a little greasy without powder on my combination skin. No , it dosen't give the coverage of a foundation, but it's a nice light summer make up and it will even out skin tone.Never had any problems with breakouts with this. It actually contains a lot of skin beneficial ingredients and is a top pick on beautypedia.Clinique also do an spf 40 version of this, but beware of that one if you have a problem with using chemical sunscreens around eyes as the spf 40 is a mix of chemical and physical. For that reason I prefer this spf 25 version.Good product, average price range, but it's effective , that's the main thing.