December 20, 2014 | 830 users online

Sunscreen - Banana Boat - Sun Wear Daily Sunblock Lotion SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2007 5:18:00 PM More reviews by RaquellaDeVille

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a pretty good sunblock. A little bit goes a long way. At first it is a little whitish, but I think it protects really well, at least better than the other sunscreens I've been using. The cool thing about it is it's not at all super greasy.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2007 3:08:00 PM More reviews by whereiscat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

This stuff WORKS. I drove around for 6 hours in my convertible with the top down and didn't tan through this stuff AT ALL. I snorkeled on St. John for 4 hours and didn't tan or burn AT ALL. And this is without remembering to reapply or anything, folks. Will rebuy and rebuy and rebuy and rebuy. My only complaint is that it balls up under my foundation a little bit but I'm working to try and tweak some other stuff to keep that from happening. No more wasting $$$$$$ on Shisheido's too fragranced SS, I'm a Banana Boat convert.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2007 2:23:00 PM More reviews by jinglecat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

WooHoo! I am NOT spending $40usd on 1oz of euro ss this season! This works for face and body. I have been using the BB for 2 weeks, 2 of those days spent outside from 9-5p, sans hat (bad!stupid!), but NO hyperpigmentation, no burn. I reapply 4-5 times during the day, there is some minor ball-up after so many layers, and by the end of day, yeah- it's a bit shiny. The only ss w/ superior finish/feel on the skin ime is Shiseido, which just does not protect me from melasma. This migrates into eye if I'm really sweating, but mostly stays put, doesn't sting (Neutrogena!) or break me out (Hawiian Tropic!).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2007 12:54:00 PM More reviews by Daisy1012

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this on my 4 year old recently because we were on vacation and it was all i had on hand and he actually got sunburned! I applied lots (believe me i'm very anal about covering him in sunscreen) and after just 2 hours he was quite red. Last summer i used HT Baby and Coppertone spf50 spray and he never got even the slightest bit of color after much longer in the sun. I won't be using this on him again or myself.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2007 4:44:00 PM More reviews by Acacia810

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin tone is light olive and most protective sunscreens give me a ghostly white cast. I hate wearing foundation and powder to mattify the sheen and neutralize the whitish color of ss, and the search has been insanely hard.

BB Sun Wear feels light-weight, but looks a little shiny on the face. It also migrates into my eyes and stings them badly. This has been (and still is) my HG body sunscreen, but for my face I prefer Sofina Lucent.

Another thing about US chemical ss that have high PPD is that they all contain Oxybenzone, an estrogenic substance. I griped about this in my Dry Touch review already. I'm still not 100% at peace about it, but I've arrived to the conclusion that the benefits of using a protective + wearable ss out-weighs the risk of using this estrogenic substance that may not even pose a greater threat than all the free radicals we face each day.

Here is a link to a study on "Systemic absorption of the sunscreens benzophenone-3, octyl-methoxycinnamate, and 3-(4-methyl-benzylidene) camphor after whole-body topical application and reproductive hormone levels in humans":

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2007 2:09:00 AM More reviews by shiseidoaddict

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

background:using RAM 0.1% nightly, acne prone, OSRPT
i still feel unsecured with this sunblock, the estimated PPD of this ss is around 15-19. this is so uncomfortable during the first few mins. after i put this on--it burns!!and my skin is reddish. theres no whitening effect but it leaves a shiny mask for about 30 mins.
still looking for my HG ss..

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2007 8:48:00 PM More reviews by morganahall

This is the best US drugstore ss I've found! It has an awesome matte finish and gives me just enough moisture so that I don't have any flakies. I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin and I've been test driving this for the past 2 months and I ♥ it! The only beef I have is that it has oxybenzone, like every other US stable ss, so I'm gonna try out LRP Anthelios SX before I decide if this is my HG ss. It also has a very light scent, but once it's on you can't smell it. I would def buy this again and I rec it for people with my skintype!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2007 3:34:00 PM More reviews by Cinnamon1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'll confess I've only used this product for two days now, but I love it. Even given the great reviews here, I was hesitant to buy it. I read the list of active ingredients and I thought there's no way this crap isn't thick, nasty, greasy, and stinky. But I trusted my MUA friends, and I'm glad I did. I put this on right after my shower, and 20 minutes later I felt and smelled like I had *no sunscreen on*. And it's SPF 50!! How is that possible?? My arms looked completely matte, and it only slightly stung my eyelids. After it dried, I used Monistat and then my foundation and powder, and I'm not having to blot my face any more than usual during the day. Love, love, love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2007 12:18:00 AM More reviews by Ch3r

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

:( I wanted to like this on my face. Even though it has oxybenzone on it. I wanted to use it temporarily at least until I could get back home to Canada to find a good sunsceen with Meroxyl in it. I love my Shiseido Ultimate spf 55, the best sunscreen I've come across, that doesn't make my semi-oily, acne-prone skin extra oily or break out, but the PPD was just not high enough. I initially bought this just for my body, but I thought by the off chance that it might work on my face. But, nope. Has a slight sunscreen smell, which goes away eventually. The texture is nice and light, no white cast, but it made my skin obviously more oil than it does when I use Shiseido. If I looked into the mirror I cold already see small whiteheads forming. So that would be a no-go for me. I'll use it for the rest of my body though, until it's done.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2007 9:13:00 PM More reviews by curlykat

Edit: At first I loved this product and then it ended up breaking me out. I've tried many ss and got so fed up with the whole stable issue and worries concerning chemicals that I have now found the perfect solution for me. I use Olay UV moisturizer spf 30 which leaves my combo skin beautiful and soft. I leave that to soak in for 15 minutes then add a pinky finger-nail sized dab of the shiseido ultimate sun protection spf 55 onto my T-Zone which is oily. I leave that to sink in for 10 minutes and then put my make-up on. This has been wonderful to figure out as I now have beautiful, matte skin all day long. Usually I need to powder my nose multiple times in the day and now once is enough!!!! This has been my routine for a month and I love how great my skin looks. For combo/oily gals who want to control shine go ahead and try a little shiseido. As for banana boat it made me break out and I take 2 lippies off for that and for the estrogen boosting ingrediants.