November 22, 2014 | 2031 users online

Foundations - Smashbox - High Definition Healthy FX Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2013 1:55:00 AM More reviews by FabCo

Im not sure if this is a bad product or I simply didnt knew how to use it, but Im surprised I managed to finish the bottle.
It has a weird consistency for a liquid foundation, IMO its more like a primer. Has no coverage at all and whenever I tried to build it up, it clumped. On the same make up haul I bought the Halo Perfecting Powder -which I like a lot- but when I applied it to "set" the foundation, it clumped again.
As for the shade, it was a peachy beige on the bottle but almost invisible when applied -again, no coverage at all-.
Finally I decided to mix it with another foundation -Dermablend from Vichy- so I could finish the bottle; fortunately it worked, diminishing the thickness from Dermablend but keeping the coverage.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2013 3:08:00 AM More reviews by KBaylie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of the best foundations I've ever used. I can't wear it too many days in a row or a start to develop cystic pimples, so I only wear it only when I'm going out and I don't get any breakouts. The color M3 matches me perfectly and it's a great foundation for those of you who would like to look natural up close. It's not cakey and concealer wears well over it (I use Cle De Peau). The reason I gave it a rating of 5/5 is because it is so hard for me to find a foundation that both wears well, matches perfectly and has a great consistency. I'm not a liquid foundation girl to begin with, so wearing this only on certain occasions suffices for me.

Edit on 2/10/13: Had to reduce my rating. The color M3 oxidized and turned darker throughout the day and turned me into an oompa loompa.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2013 10:50:00 AM More reviews by soirbleuu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

No way will I ever purchase this again. I was fortunate enough to match myself to a shade, which surprised me considering that Smashbox has never been known to me to offer a wide range of shades, especially for cool toned skin like I have. I used the foundation for about a month with no issues and a good amount of satisfaction; the coverage was good, the foundation (with Smashbox primer AND without) lasted a long time and the shade complimented my skin well. The packaging is good for those of us who prefer a pump, however one big flaw is the cap-- it will crack or break if you travel with it. All of this aside, I am writing this review because after about the third week of use, I started developing very, very large and painful zits in spots I never develop acne such as the MIDDLE of my forehead and on the apples of my cheeks. I have stayed primarily acne-free my entire life, so breakouts like that can be automatically traced to new makeup I'm using. Sure enough, I stopped using this foundation and the zits started to decrease (Two weeks later and I'm still trying to get the last of them to completely disappear) Just a note in case you're wondering, I tried eliminating the primer first and still wore the foundation bare for a few days, and nothing changed.
So, lesson learned: even if you have the driest of skin and are presumably immune to acne, avoid this foundation-- there's obviously some bad ingredients in it if it can make skin like mine develop the near-dime-sized zits I did.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2012 6:25:00 AM More reviews by strobegirl1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really, really wanted to like this foundation more. On my skin that needs medium/build-able coverage this seemed wonderful when I first bought it. About 3 or 4 months later it started to lose some of its...'life'. It's colour has changed a bit darker, the coverage has weakened, it's gotten quite drying and the finish is certainly not 'HD'. I never left it in too hot or cold weather, I always shake between use and don't let anyone use it.
Before it went all crazy on my I had quite a few compliments on how my skin looked, lovely, dewy and glow-y.
I love the packaging, the pump is hygienic and pumps out just the amount that I need.
Smashbox why has your foundation done this to me?!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by bdawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay so I just got this a part of the high definition kit in medium. I have only applied it once and so far I'd give it a thumbs down. I might change my mind about that after I have played around a bit with the application.

The coverage is on the light side which you could maybe build up to medium. The texture is somewhat on the oily side which isn't good at all if your natural skin is oily which mine is. The colors wear darker than you would expect. In the store the shade I chose looked slightly lighter than my usual foundation but then looked darker when I put it on.

I applied with a regular foundation brush which didn't leave a nice finish at all. I'm thinking this foundation might be better applied with a sponge so that you can really press into the skin instead of having it sit on top where it will break up and look oily.

After I applied the foundation and was less then pleased with the coverage and shine I decided to lightly brush some of the halo powder that came as part of the kit all over my face to set the foundation and reduce the oil. Big MISTAKE! This gave everything a somewhat orangey tinge and made the makeup look heavy and the shine still came back within the hour. I normally wear MUFE high definition foundation. As of right now I'm disappointed by smashbox in comparison. It looks heavier than my MUFE but actually gives less coverage. I've given it a neutral rating for now but if I find a way to apply that makes it better I will update. If I can't make it better then I will be back to remove some lippies. LOL

UPDATE**
Okay I came back to add a lippie to this reveiw even though I have decided that this foundation is not for me. I wore it every day this week and found that applying it with a slightly damp sponge worked the best. Smashbox says this is an oil free foundation but there is some ingredient in it that gives it a very oily texture, so after applying with the sponge I would then lightly press the sponge into my skin all over my face. This would sort of work the foundation in so it wasn't just sitting on top of my skin. It's light coverage and it's not really buildable. Putting more on just feels like too much make up and coverage stays minimal. After the foundation I took a big fluffy powder brush to apply a layer of halo powder over top. Didn't use a kabuki brush because that would have been to heavy on the makeup. Then I pressed the powder into my face with the sponge. I ended up with a nice daytime face look that was not too heavy but without much coverage. It was soft and natural looking.

I will probably use the small bottle of foundation I have and then not repurchase. The creamy/oily texture of it doesn't stand up to the test of time and it doesn't look all that great after a few hours. The reason I gave it another lippy is because I know I would have loved this foundation 10 years ago when my skin was younger and different. I used to have dry skin that required something creamy that didn't dry. So I think this would be a really good foundation on someone who has a drier skin type and who doesn't want or need a ton of coverage.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by landmime

Probably the WORST foundation I've ever used. As soon as I dispensed the foundation onto my hand, I could clearly see it was separated even though I shook it! Definitely didn't last all day on my skin and it made me look like my skin was melting off. Definitely not worth the price as I had to pay a whopping $60 for a terrible product. The only good thing I have to say about this product is I enjoyed the pump.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 8:51:00 AM More reviews by mizzcremedelacreme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I. LOVE. THIS. FOUNDATION!!! I walked into Sephora about a year ago and told the sales woman I wanted a foundation that was not heavy, dewy, and has medium coverage so that it would look natural and boy did she deliver!! This foundation is $39 but I dont mind paying that price because I absolute love the foundation. It gives my skin a nice glow and is very light weight. When you dispense product from the pump it can come out a little watery sometimes but that's because it is water based duh! So shake it very well. It definitely doesnt take away from the effectiveness of the product. It is a sheer foundation with not a lot of coverage but as i mentioned I didnt want something heavy for everyday wear so this was perfect. If you have acne scars, the foundation will only slightly blur the scars so you still have to powder and conceal. After that I would recommend using a setting spray to hold it all in place but I just love this foundation. It looks so natural! Very glad I found it!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/10/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by xCarrieex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tried really hard to like this foundation, I really did but it was to no avail. I had gotten a sample size in the Complexion Perfection kit for fair skin and the foundation just...doesn't match my skin tone. Granted, this might be more my problem than Smashbox's, but if you're going to put out a general kit for a skin tone, I would make the shade of the foundation more versatile. Just saying. Maybe if I tried another shade I MIGHT like it a little better, but as of right now, I don't plan on that happening.
I don't like the coverage of this foundation and I find myself using quite a few pumps for one application. Once it's applied, at first it looks O.K. on my skin, but then I feel like it settles into my pores and doesn't make me feel/look High Definition anything despite it's name. I don't like that I can feel it on my skin. This is why I switched to the UD Naked Skin foundation.
Overall, I wouldn't really recommend this product to anyone. I just...don't like the look or feel of it and don't think it lives up to it's "high definition" name.

**Update**
Ok, so I went back to try this foundation out again and found that my tune has changed. I actually do sort of like it. Somehow it matches my skin tone more than it did when I first started using it. I have no idea why this is but I'm not going to complain. It's still not my favorite foundation in the whole wide world, but I am more inclined to use the rest of it up now and I've actually gotten quite a few compliments on how nice my skin looked while wearing it as well.
Maybe I was expecting miracles when I first started using it, or my skin wasn't at it's best and that's why I gave it such a harsh review. Not sure. The finish of it still leaves me looking a little washed out, so I definitely need to make sure I apply an ample amount of color so I won't look like a ghost. I also haven't found it settling into my pores as much. So maybe it was the primer I was using, once again, not sure. I'm baffled by the difference in opinion that I now have about this foundation. I raised my rating up by one and switched my "no I would not buy this again" to a yes, which actually means a maybe. I would be willing to possibly buy this foundation again and try out another shade that didn't come in a generalized kit. But probably not until I finished up my UD Naked Skin and tried another foundation out that I've been dying to try.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2012 12:01:00 PM More reviews by LucyFord14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am always trying different foundations to perfect my acne prone, dark spotted, oily and dry combo, uneven skin. Enter Smashbox.

I love this!! I start off with any Smashbox primer, use a little concealer (either Smashbox or Miracle Skin), and one squirt is plenty, which i blend with my fingers. I think the Halo Hydrating powder finishes my skin FLAWLESSLY, as if I have no pores, craters, etc. People tend to ask what my skin regimen is when I'm wearing this.

I decided to give Hello Flawless (WOW oxygen) a shot after reading similar reviews, and I am sorely disappointed. Causes me to break out, and seeps into the pores on my cheeks. Not impressed with its powder finish either. Can't wait til I've used it all so I can go right back to this Smashbox.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2012 8:30:00 PM More reviews by iryanni

I bought this in medium and I am an NC35 skin. I have yellow undertones so this works well for me except that the color is a tiny bit too dark. Under certain dim lighting I look a little orangey, definitely not the dewy look I wanted. The texture is great for my skin, it feels light and you barely feel it on your skin even after hours. The coverage is not as full as I expected but it does cover pale blemishes and redness. I have dry patches on my skin but I also have oily skin. This foundation does not make the dryness feel tight but I cannot comment on whether it helps with the shine cos I prepped my skin with urban decay's de slick before and after.

Overall not a bad buy but I'll definitely want to try other brands. 3/5!