July 31, 2014 | 1849 users online

Other - Philips Sonicare Toothbrush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2010 8:56:00 PM More reviews by MRSLE

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Oh, how I love my Sonicare. I didn't get the love until my mother bought one for me. It's truly fantastic. My teeth feel so clean and are very healthy. I had a little spot with a little gingivitis and my dentist told me to work on it and after a week, problem solved. I don't think I could ever live without it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2010 8:44:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I loved my first Sonicare toothbrush but it died after a year. I brush my teeth in the shower so the unit always got wet, which is fine, but because the unit is 2 pieces screwed together, water that seeped in had corroded the vibrating magnets over time. Finally when my toothbrush was about a year old it no longer worked. This sonic brush worked great, I loved it, but before I shelled out another $110 for a replacement I did some research & decided to try the Ultreo sonic/ultrasound toothbrush sold by dentists & cost more. I got mine from eBay for $135. What I like about the Ultreo is it's one solid piece with no metal or delicate parts to risk corrosion damage. It is fully waterproof. Both brands work basically the same way & have electronic timers for 2-minute brushing as well as warning lights for brush head replacement & low battery charge. The Ultreo toothbrush has a rubber bump in the middle of the brush head for creating ultrasound waves, & using a brush head like this took a little adjustment & getting used to. Happily my Ultreo is more than 2 & a half years old now & still going strong. A sonic toothbrush is a good investment. I would recommend both the Ultreo & the Philips Sonicare & I would buy another Sonicare again if & when my Ultreo ever breaks. I think the Ultreo is a step above, but the Sonicare is up there as a great product too. Both are expensive, so find the lowest price deals you can find on either one of these. They both get teeth cleaner than manual brushing but with a lot less work & using a great deal less pressure on tooth enamel (manual brushing tends to scrub enamel too hard & wear it down over time -- that's true of me, so a gentle sonic toothbrush is very helpful).

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2010 6:38:00 AM More reviews by beforenafter

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love it. I've been using one for over ten years now. I'm on my second one. My first one broke down after over 7 years and I only paid $60 for it so . . . I feel like I got my money's worth.

I travel for a living, so that it can hold a charge for the 4 days that I'm away is a big bonus.

The only thing that stinks is how expensive the replacement brush heads are, even at Costco!

Still, I love it. . . and I choose not to live without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2010 10:28:00 AM More reviews by Kittypiepie

Love the Sonicare; purchased on my dentist's advice about five years ago. My problem: the battery base won't hold a charge. The display window usually shows green lights but the last time I tried charging it the yellow light is all that showed. I just replaced the brush heads and bought a new charger, still no avail. Is it time to replace my Sonicare?

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2009 11:43:00 PM More reviews by kellywilson0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

Length of time used: A month and a half. I really wanted to wait longer to review it, but I just couldn't...I love it!

I'll admit I was very skeptical about spending so much money on a toothbrush. I migrated away from traditional toothbrushes a while back, and had been using Crest's Spinbrush for several years. I really couldn't understand what all the fuss was about with this product, and thought it couldn't be that much different than just using the Spinbrush...boy was I wrong - there's really something to be said for the technology here. Give Sonicare a try, and I can almost guarantee you'll feel like you just received a dentist's cleaning...it may sound like a marketing ploy, but they aren't kidding when they say it!

I'm actually sitting at my folks' house right now (visiting for the holidays), and I didn't bring my Sonicare with me. I thought, 'what's the big deal, it's only for a few days...I'll just take a Spinbrush with me in my travel bag instead...it'll be easier.' I was actually moved to write a review for this product, because I miss it so much right now! I just brushed my teeth, but my mouth doesn't even feel clean, compared to how it feels after using the Sonicare...it really made me realize what an awesome job this brush does! It also moved me to buy a Clarisonic to use on my face (developed by the same company,and utilizing similar technology, I believe); I had been considering it for a while now, but never really had the motivation to order one (again, it's expensive!). After seeing first-hand what the sonic technology has done for my teeth, I just had to see if the Clarisonic would deliver the same kind of performance for my skin! Once it's fully charged and I get to use it for a while, I'll write a review for that product as well :-)

But, back to my original point - please please please give Sonicare a try...I think you'll be happy you did! It may seem like a large cash outlay, but the way I look at it, I've invested so much money in my teeth over the years (braces; retainers; wisdom teeth removal; whitening; etc.), it's kind of protecting my investment with a preventative product...one big dental emergency would easily cost more than this brush! Plus, check out reputable eBay sellers - you'll probably be able to find some great deals!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2009 8:46:00 PM More reviews by slc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used to think that electric toothbrushes were the ultimate example of American excess and laziness. Who can't brush their own teeth? But now I'm eating my words. I get sore, bloody gums every month when I have my cycle, and it seems to be getting worse with age. Years ago my dentist recommend the Sonicare, but at that time it was ridiculously expensive -- if I remember correctly it was around $375 if not more.

So now the price is down, my gums are still sore, and I decided to buy the Flexcare model since it has a massage setting. I got it on sale at drugstore.com and from the first use I became a convert. I will never be able to go back to manual toothbrushing again. My teeth are so clean, polished and shiny every day. There was a difference in color after the first use: I suppose the Sonicare got rid of some coffee stains. It comes with the standard brush head, but I ordered the compact heads as it will be easier to clean the back of my teeth with a smaller brush, more like the dentist uses. The massage setting is wonderful for my gums, which are feeling better than ever. I don't know if it's necessary -- if you aren't real sensitive you could probably buy one of the less expensive models and massage your gums with the regular setting. I will say that the Essence model is fatter and heavier than the Flexcare if that's important to you.

There is absolutely no way to get this effect with a manual toothbrush. So if you want clean, shiny teeth and healthy gums, it's a good investment. I expect my next dental cleaning to be much shorter with very little scraping. To me, this is an essential beauty and health tool.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2009 10:56:00 PM More reviews by cmhwi

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: switched to the Healthy White version and I like the handle/brush heads much better - easier to keep clean.
Previously, we had used the Oral B which is more of a rotary action. Before menopause, that worked well for me, getting around all my teeth, especially the insides of the lowers and uppers. Now that I've gone through menopause, my gums and skin in general are more sensitive. I have to work harder at maintaining oral hygiene. I had given up on the oscillating Oral B and then after my last cleaning, got a $15 rebate coupon and waited for a sale on the Sonicare e5300. I picked it up at Walgreens for $45 and after rebate, $30 which is a steal. The package had only one brushead in it. The two replacements heads in the refill pak cost $25, but I feel it's a worthwhile investment to buy the heads when needed.
At first this tickled the roof of my mouth and splattered a fair amount of toothpaste. Once you get used to controlling the handle and whereabouts of the brushhead, it is less messy. Also, be careful not to bump your teeth with the handle which does vibrate quite a bit. The nice thing, is it seems a bit kinder to my gums - without the grinding sensation of the older Oral B.
To be fair - the Oral B now has a sonic version called the Pulsonic with similar technology, so that can be an option as well. The only things I would change about the Sonicare is to have a small, round brush style like the Oral B has on their regular electric toothbrush. For people with a smaller mouth, it would be easier to clean around the inside arches. Also, the handle needs to be rinsed out on the Essence model and it is a thick handle which can be a bit awkward to hold.
All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the level of cleaning this gadget does - and it would make a wonderful gift as well.
NOTE: there is a child's version too.
And - last but not least... you still need to floss! If you want to prove it to yourself, brush, use mouthwash, thenfloss ...you'll see debris - so that's why flossing is really important.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2009 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Threshold

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I suffered such bad periodontal disease, I had to have my own blood stem-cells recreated to reform my upper and lower jaws. Sometimes this disease occurs due to poor hygiene, sometimes from bad genes. In my case, it was the latter. However, there is hope!

Sonicare is a MUST for anyone, any time, any age. I am now on my third Sonicare incarnation and, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, Philips (the maker) comes out with a "Professional Care Kit" which contains a UV sanitizing case (holds two brush heads), three brush heads, two charging ports, two power stems, and a new brush called HydroClean, which pushes cleansing products and materials between teeth and gently below the gum-line, acting as a type of flossing mechanism. It has a quad timing feature, letting you know every 30 seconds when to move to a different section of the mouth. Another fabulous feature offers three different power settings: Clean, Sensitive, Clean & White (gives an additional 30 seconds for whitening visible front sections.)

And it feels FABULOUS, during and **after** cleansing.

Watch for Costco coupons and you can snag one of these sets for $110 or less... And worth every penny. Unless, of course, you're inclined to pay $11,000+ for jaw reconstruction and/or watch your jaw and the remaining bones in your face disintegrate.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2009 10:39:00 PM More reviews by BronzerBuster

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my HG aside from my tweezers. LOL! I can't say enough positive things about this toothbrush. Seriously, it is like a professional hygienist cleaning every day. Matter of fact, I had my 6 month check today and she was done in 15 minutes whereas before it would take me about 45 minutes to clean out out all the tartar, etc. in the visit. It is worth every penny as a price of prevention of periodontal disease and gingivitis long term. Usually Kohls will have good sales or Walgreens might have discounts. We got some refill heads at Costco for CHEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAP! Anyway, this thing rocks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2009 6:46:00 AM More reviews by camilla8

I am the kind of person that has plaque issues... No matter how much I brush or floss, I'm always going to get a report from the dentist about how much plaque is on my teeth. I even had a dentist say "I've never seen anyone have plaque on the surface of the teeth, normally it's just in between the teeth!" Gee thanks! haha But I have always taken good care of my teeth. I've been told I'm just more suseptable to plaque (something about the chemistry in my saliva). So ANYWAY, my dentist told me that this was, in his opinion, the best toothbrush on the market and works really well. I got two of them for $120 at Sam's Club, which seems to be a good deal. So, after one use, I could totally not feel any plaque on me teeth! I've used it 4-5 times, and my teeth DO look and feel like I just had a dental cleaning. It even feels as if it does clean in between the teeth. I use the full 2 minute timer, and my teeth look great and I believe they are already a little whiter (I normally get compliments on how white my teeth are anyway). So I am sticking with my sonicare, just hate that it is so expensive. One thing that took me off guard is the vibration of this thing, it literally is like some sort of sonic vibration. It tickled the first time I used it, but now I'm totally used to it. Love it!