September 19, 2014 | 1735 users online

Treatments (Face) - Differin Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Faiza92

Okay to start off I have Combination Skin that is sensitive and very prone to acne! I have suffered with pimples (the red inflamed kind) for many many years. Although these stopped completely I realised I wa getting bumps that were very small and hard, under the skin and flesh coloured (non inflames type).

These are often called closed comedones/whitehads/milia. They are actually blackheads under the skin that are flesh coloured because they have not been exposed to air and so hav not oxidised like blackheads do.

I was given differin gel and within the first 3 weeks many of the bumps on my chin and forehead became unclogged and kind of just washed/rubbed/dried off. Gradually they are all going, even the deeper ones on my cheeks where the skin is thicker are going too. Before when I washed my face I could fell the bumps but every day my skin is getting smoother in TEXTURE.

I have now been usin the gel for 5 weeks and my skin has come a long way. I now only have a couple if small bumps on my cheeks left which I am sure will go with continued use.

There is some ADVICE I would like to give to anyone who is or itends to use Differin. 1. First I used the Cream version for 2 weeks but felt like it didn't really sink in so switched to Gel which is more suited for oily skin types.
2. At first I did suffer a 'purging' phase, our skin has many layers around 7, differin makes all the bacteria and sebum blocked in these layers come to te surface. It DOES NOT EXFOLIATE like AHA/BHA products, it REDUCES THE GROWTH OF SKIN CELLS instead. So your skin may get worse before it gets better. I took antibiotics (oxytetralycline) which made the purging not as bad or inflamed.
3. don't think that because of this purging phase you need to use more product or apply more often. This can easily cause irritation and raw/chapped skin similar to sunburnt skin. And people..this is the most difficult kind of skin to cover with makeup. So AVOID OVERUSE of differin
4. Differin can make skin dry and flaky, i prevente this by appying a light, non iritation, non pore clogging lotion 45 mins after applying differin. (skin care routine below)
5. To reduce and prevent any irritation and sensitivity whilst using differin use products that DONT contain alcohol fragrances, bha, aha or certain cleansers with over drying sulphtes in them. Some sulphtes are good, others are bad..look these up on paulas choice website or make sure your cleansers, lotions,spfs and foundations is suitable by seeing its review on the beautypedia webiste.
6.You must use a SPF! Even If u live in cloudy England with rubbish weather u must wear SPF! You can even burn through a window. If u do get this Raw chapped burnt skin dont apply differin in that area untill it has completely healed..la roche posay cicaplast helped ALOT when i had overuse differin and when applied 3 times a day healed in a couple of Days. but trust me You don't want to add sunburn to already existing skin problems!
7. Many prople experience more dryness around mouth and eyes even though these are places differin is never applied to. So i use a slightly thicker cream around these areas.
8. It Should never be applied more then once a day unless prescribed to by doctor. Don't get too close to eyes or lips and don't apply on any creases or corners or the nose, Dents in chin or near nostrils or upper lip!!
8. DIFFERIN SKIN CARE ROUTINEI used Paulas choice hydralight cleanser, paulas choice hydralight lotion, Paulas choice skin balancing moisturiser with spf 30 and Paulas Choice Mousture boost treatment cream around eyes and lips.

All in all it is an AMAZING PRODUCT in unclogging and unblocking congested skin but it HAS to be used correctly AND with the correct skin care routine. Hope this helps because I know a lot of these reviews helped me in preparation to using DIFFERIN.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 4:07:00 PM More reviews by rebeccaelisabeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

To start, my skin was extremely oily and I had terrible acne before I started Accutane 3 years ago. Accutane completely fixed that but the effects only lasted until late 2012. My oily skin and acne came back. I would get at least one new pimple every day (usually on my cheeks and chin) and I couldn't get my foundation to look good anymore. My skin was always red and inflamed. It was really awful. 3 months ago I went to the dermatologist who prescribed Differin (0.1% gel). He said that it would take at least 3 months for me to see any effects from it. I applied it and the next morning my skin looked so so much better which really suprised me. My skin was smoother overall and less bumpy looking already. The Differin did cause some flaking, redness, and sensitivity which I stopped experiencing after a few weeks when my skin got used to it. My skin certainly isn't perfect from this gel but it has vastly improved. While it hasn't done anything for my acne scars or large pores yet, it has completely stopped my breakouts and improved my complexion overall. I've gotten very few pimples since I started using it and my skin is a lot smoother. I really wish I had tried this before I started Accutane. I apply the gel about 10-15 minutes after I wash my face and then I wait another 20 minutes or so before I apply my moisturizer (Cerave in the tub).

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2013 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Ekr15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am 24 years old and have been dealing with hormonal acne since I was about 13. My acne was controlled in high school and college on Spironolactone. In college, I weaned off the meds, but my acne returned about a year ago. I am back on the Spiro, and my derm prescribed Differin .1% gel about a month ago. At this point, most of my inflamed, hormonal acne is gone. I wanted the Differin because I have lots of clogged pores, tiny little bumps, hyperpigmentation, and just dull looking skin. Anyway, I've been using the differin for about a month. The first week, I went all in and used it four nights in a row. Needless to say, my skin was irritated and peeling. I have now been using it every other night and it's been working pretty well. I apply it at night after washing my face, and then I apply my CeraVe PM lotion on top. I wake up in the morning with dewy, smooth, glowing skin. I still have hyperpigmentation from previous acne marks and I do still have lots of clogged pores, but I'm hoping the Differin will help with that in time. I have heard that it can take 8-12 weeks to really see results. I did not get an initial breakout on my face, but I did apply the differin to my shoulders (I have some old acne scarring and some little pimples), and it caused me to break out. Hopefully that clears up soon. Differin was 100% covered by my insurance ($0!!) so I will definitely continue to refill this prescription.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by weemee22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am 51 and menopausal. I have also started to suffer from Rosacea (due to the menopause) life is so much fun for us ladies!!!!!
12 months of the usual antibiotics, antibiotic cream and Finacea gel from my GP nothing was working.
I became quite depressed as my face was as bad as it was when I went through puberty.
I requested a referral to a dermatologist who prescribed Differin gel and Doxycycline antibiotics. He said that it was a very strong gel and should be started gradually i.e. every 3rd night for 1 week then every 2nd night and so on. This was to prevent a breakout and other skin problems that have been mentioned in previous posts.
I must say that gradual use did not give me any problems at all. It cleared my face up gradually and the antibiotics helped by preventing further breakouts. I still get the odd breakout but nothing compared to before. At least now I can go out without the full mask of makeup.
So for all you ladies out there trying this for the first time or giving it another go....this is a medication that needs to be gradually introduced to your skin, be patient and take your time your patience will be rewarded and you will look beautiful once again...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by hegre16

I'm 28 and I've had acne since I was a teenager. I've used differin on and off again throughout my adult life, but now I don't know why I ever went off it. Recently, my acne started getting so bad so I went back to my doctor and he gave me another prescription for diffferin gel .1%. For me, generic medication is $10 with my insurance so that was fine.

I've been on differin for the last 8 weeks, and the initial breakouts were terrible. I was soooo depressed about it and very frustrated but I kept reading online how this will happen and you just have to be patient with this product. So I kept going, even though my face looked unbelievably awful and there was no way I could go a day without wearing makeup.

Finally, this last week I have started to see some serious improvements. No new breakouts and my acne scars seem to be healing a bit. I also added over the counter benzoyl peroxide in the morning to help. My skin is a bit dry, but whatever. I'll take dry skin over acne any day.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much more my skin improves in the next 2-4 months. I would definitely recommend this product but only if you are looking for a long-term solution. The 4-12 weeks you have to wait to see changes can seriously feel like a life time.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2013 6:02:00 AM More reviews by liseyloo

So pissed. I went to Differin because after I stopped Benzoyl Peroxide (the whole Acne.org thing), then went back to it, my skin somehow couldn't handle it anymore. I knew there would be flaking and redness while using Differin, but at least BP actually DID something to my acne - this has done absolutely nothing and I've been using it consistently for months. Today I got Epiduo from my doctor, let's hope this works out better..

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 6:06:00 AM More reviews by ClaireF24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

UPDATE: So I couldn't help but give this product one last shot after writing that review! LOL! And I am glad I did. I use it every other night, and I don't seem to have the extreme flaking reaction to it or the sensitivity. I guess I was using it too often. I will continue to see how my skin reacts, but so far, so good.

I have mixed feeling about this product. I think I could have given it a higher rating if I could have tolerated it better, but I don't necessarily think that that is the product's fault.

First, it definitely cleared my cystic acne. Good job! It also clear my blackheads, whiteheads, etc.

Second, it REALLY irritated my skin, causing such severe peeling and flaking, I looked like I had a flake goatee by 10 am!

Third, the skin under my flake goatee was BEAUTIFUL and glowing! However, it also flaked off :(. I just couldn't get through all the flaking and irritation, so I eventually discontinued use. That's why it only got three lippies, that might be unfair, but it is what it is.

I wouldn't try this again, but I do recommend others trying it, because if you can tolerate it, it is worth it.

I got the generic kind and I have really excellent prescription drug coverage for generics (not so much for brand names), so I paid about $6 for it. I also got the lower 0.01% gel.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Kearno

I've been using this about two months now and I'm still holding out for results. It's free as I live in UK so I think I may as well keep going for a while longer. I have cystic acne and it has definitely gotten worse since I've started using this. I had been on the pill for years previously which had controlled it, but since stopping my 33 year old skin has turned teenage : ( i had hoped by now i would be seeing serious results. have had no side effects either mind you. i do kinda think this may be the darkness before the dawn -skin is definitely getting smoother and spots smaller. Don't fail me Differin!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by TrueTatiana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know WHY or HOW it happened that in my 5 year battle with acne I learned about this product only now, but I am grateful to all people and circumstances that got me acquainted with it. I know that everybody's skin is different, and this might not be the panacea for everyone, but fellow pimple- sufferers, there IS hope! I first tried Differin in tiny sample packages of 3 grams ( three of those was enough for 3 weeks) and I never looked back. I was suffering from medium to severe acne for years and while doing so I tried everything under the sun - 75% of marketed anti-acne products, all the diets, supplements, food group eliminations, juicing, fruiting, starving, de-warming ( viva pseudo science), regular facials, peels, prescription medication topical and oral with no results to follow.
I started using Differin 3 months ago and my skin just keeps getting better ( knock on wood). No initial breakout, no redness, just some really minor peeling at the very beginning of the treatment. I eat ice cream and carbohydrates ( yes, the simple kind!:), I do not freak out about sleeping on a pillow case two nights in a row, neither am I following a fancy or complicated skin routine, and every morning I am waking up with clearer skin and this is a miracle. Please, consider this medication if nothing else worked. Good luck and healthy skin to you!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by dianelarsenemail

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like the gel over the lotion because i feel that it is more effective at treating acne and gets deeper into the pores. It can be very harsh on the skin when first starting but over a few months these side effects with subside. I use Kiss my Face cleanser which is natural and gentle and helps soothe irritated skin. I have been using for 6 weeks and have seen 50% improvement in my breakouts and acne scars.