April 24, 2014 | 1859 users online

Treatments - Differin Gel

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Kearno

I've been using this about two months now and I'm still holding out for results. It's free as I live in UK so I think I may as well keep going for a while longer. I have cystic acne and it has definitely gotten worse since I've started using this. I had been on the pill for years previously which had controlled it, but since stopping my 33 year old skin has turned teenage : ( i had hoped by now i would be seeing serious results. have had no side effects either mind you. i do kinda think this may be the darkness before the dawn -skin is definitely getting smoother and spots smaller. Don't fail me Differin!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by TrueTatiana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know WHY or HOW it happened that in my 5 year battle with acne I learned about this product only now, but I am grateful to all people and circumstances that got me acquainted with it. I know that everybody's skin is different, and this might not be the panacea for everyone, but fellow pimple- sufferers, there IS hope! I first tried Differin in tiny sample packages of 3 grams ( three of those was enough for 3 weeks) and I never looked back. I was suffering from medium to severe acne for years and while doing so I tried everything under the sun - 75% of marketed anti-acne products, all the diets, supplements, food group eliminations, juicing, fruiting, starving, de-warming ( viva pseudo science), regular facials, peels, prescription medication topical and oral with no results to follow.
I started using Differin 3 months ago and my skin just keeps getting better ( knock on wood). No initial breakout, no redness, just some really minor peeling at the very beginning of the treatment. I eat ice cream and carbohydrates ( yes, the simple kind!:), I do not freak out about sleeping on a pillow case two nights in a row, neither am I following a fancy or complicated skin routine, and every morning I am waking up with clearer skin and this is a miracle. Please, consider this medication if nothing else worked. Good luck and healthy skin to you!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by dianelarsenemail

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like the gel over the lotion because i feel that it is more effective at treating acne and gets deeper into the pores. It can be very harsh on the skin when first starting but over a few months these side effects with subside. I use Kiss my Face cleanser which is natural and gentle and helps soothe irritated skin. I have been using for 6 weeks and have seen 50% improvement in my breakouts and acne scars.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 10:09:00 PM More reviews by letstrythiscolour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DIFFERIN Cream 0.01

I typically have normal skin, I am 34, but I have cystic acne on my chin. This began at 23ish..but i think its mostly stress related.
I am generally a very healthy eater. I dont normally ever have gluten or refined sugar and the dairy I would consume would typically be considered healthy greek yogurt, or natural plain yogurt etc..you catch my drift. Although I have now for the past 1-2 months have cut it totally out. Slight difference not a whole lot.

Went to the doctor asked about accutane he said yes it works, but the acne would come back! whats the point then!! so I decided not to go ahead plus its not that severe.

I have been taking Zinc Gluconate on and off, this time it isnt working, so he gave me Differin cream its a low dose, BUT ITS WORKING :) most of the acne is coming to a head and leaving...finally! Its nice to see that my pores are being unclogged I guess..also NO peeling or redness I used it for 4-5 days straight then took a few days off just in case..and yup it looks a touch better.

I also used coconut oil and Clinque turnaround radiance renewer new and old kind I have both and Neutrogena 3in1 hyrdrating cream, bought because of beautypedia $12.99 at shoppers drug mart its not discontinued in Toronto I guess. I will probably be getting the Differin again although this is the first time in my life I didnt have benefits and I paid $130 thats crazy!:( BTW Cetaphil is made by the same company thats why they try to tell you to use it in conjunction I am assuming for some people. I don't like it, well I tried when this all started and I didnt so...ya years later now I use CeraVe. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 7:54:00 PM More reviews by madmilly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have always suffered with bad acne and have tried so many different medications for it benzel peroxide ect. But I went to my gp & explained how depressed my acne was making me feel and making my appearance effect my life. She suggested this gel formula, warned me it would make my skin sensitive. At first I broke out really bad and my skin was so sore I couldn't appy my foundation or primer it was a night mare. But I've used this for a year now, and I look completely different my skin is almost completely clear, scars are practically gone but still have the odd red spot or cluster of cysts that develop on my cheeks. I used elemis cleanser and apply this only to my cheeks now before I go to bed, as soon as I wake up I splash and dry my face and apply my moisturiser. At first I needed to use lots of moisturiser as my skin felt super dry, but now it's fine and I'm back to my usual beauty routine with my spots at bay. My gel came in a tube and a screw lid and its a medicine so the packaging isn't OMG IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL it's just a white tube ... !

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2013 4:38:00 AM More reviews by jasmind123

I've been on differin 0.1 gel for 2 months,and it has cleared my skin a bit,but i'm getting a few more pimples in spots i never used to get them.It caused my skin to be really dry and flaky at first and i still get it a little bit.It's hard to tell if its going to completly clear my skin or not,but i've heard you have to be patient.So i'm going to keep using it for a few more months.Overall i do like differin,you just have to be patient to see results (my doctor also told me this)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by EMB1993

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this product is incredible, it completely eliminated any acne on my face! I've never written a review for anything but I thought I had to as this product really is amazing. Although it takes a while to work, in the long run it works wonders! I had never had acne before until I had the mirena coil put in due to terrible periods, after about 6 months I began to get terrible cystic acne around my mouth and chin, I was getting so down about it, so i went to the doctors and was prescribed differin gel and after about 3 months (which seems a long time- believe me- but is definitely worth it) I saw dramatic improvement. Now 6 months down the line I never get any spots appearing (when everyday I used to wake up with at least 2). I have some hyper pigmentation but I can hide it with small amounts of makeup, and its disappearing daily.
So, really, I just want to make a point to anyone who feels the same as I did, having spots is really awful, and can change your personality entirely. This product is fantastic and is definitely worth the go. 10/10!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by lianastl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I never write reviews but when I was searching for a solution to my cystic acne I promised myself I would if I found a product that worked. Over the past 20 years I've tried oral antibiotics, Accutane, benzol peroxide, salicyc acid, and nothing has helped like Differin did (other than the pill which does work wonders but which I stopped taking several years ago). Differin does cause an awful purge for the first 8-12 weeks but you just need to stick with it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Iīm 36 now and it got my first prescription at the age of 31.
I suffer from skin that keratinizes too much and therefore, my pores around my mouth and chin area clog easily.
Iīm nowhere near having a full acne, but my chin and jaw area looked quite bumpy, sometimes with red spots and I had underlying impurities.
I used it only a few months, but concentrated on my mouth and chin area, not using it on my whole face. At the same time, I used some erythromycin cream on my face. My spots dissappeared and my skin cleared up.
Thereīs a huge warning from my side: DO use a high spf sunscreen when you use this! Your skin may become thinner and more sensitive to sun exposure, so use at least spf 30 every day.
As I didnīt want to use this in long term, I changed my skincare routine and eliminated comedogenic ingredients.
By finding a skincare regimen, that worked for me (took me years!) and knowing my skin, I reduced my breakouts to the unavoidable hormonal breakouts once a month.
But I returned to this just last year because I got a melasma on my upper lip.
My derm wanted me to use aha or bha, but that didnīt work for my melasma. So I got the second prescription of differin gel at the age of 36.
Studies have proven, that retin-a works for melasma, but it takes 6 months at least for it to work. You have to be patient, but it improved my melasma in just a few weeks and I hope, it will eventually remove it completely in the next few months. Again, I used it only on a small area in my face, on my upper lip to target the melasma.
I didnīt want to use hydroquinone or other treatments for my melasma and I was willing to use it every night for months in order to make it work. Treating a melasma is so difficult, but if your skin tolerates retin-a, you might try differin as a treatment.
Of course, I wear spf 50 every day to prevent my melasma from emerging once again and I avoid being in the sun with my face. I put on a hat and apply loads of sunscreen when I go to the beach.
So, the differin gel helped me with different skin issues and I really recommend this.
But I donīt want to use this over years and years, because there certainly are side-effects. And there are people, who just cannot use this at all, because their skin doesnīt tolerate the adapalene.
For me, itīs a concentrated treatment for serious skin issues, but definitely no long-term product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 10:27:00 PM More reviews by dcabc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've had persistent cystic acne on my chin for the last 7 years or so, and I really, really wanted this to work. Instead it's been like a bad relationship that I just can't quit. After 8 months of dedicated use, at best, it did not do much of anything (except cause these tiny clogs on the side of my face, so I started to apply to my chin only). But a few days ago, a planet started growing in the middle of my chin, and in my panic and desperation, I grabbed my Differin to give it yet another chance. I don't know what happened, maybe I applied too much, but by the next morning, the planet had spawned its own galaxy and taken over my entire chin. No joke, my chin and lower lip were so red and swollen that it actually hurt to talk. It's been two days now, and I've been icing it and taking ibuprofen to bring down the swelling, which has helped some, but wow. I think I'm finally breaking up with you for good, Differin. You and me are just no good.